Camelot Unchained MMO

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
I'll play any game that is good, but do we need a 3000 person pvp game? Is there a big demand for that?
I wouldn't say specifically a 3k player PvP game, but a good PvP player game that works.
There are a lot of PvP players in games like SWTOR, Rift, ESO and a lot smaller ones who really don't like the PvP there and think it's shitty, but they feel they have no one who has dedicated all their resources to ensuring that PvP comes first, and not just an afterthought. So they stay there, keep subbing and fighting in the same old boxes.
One thing you can say about City State/Jacobs is they are point-focused on PvP, not crafting, not questing, not gimmicks like rifts, and there definitely is a huge demand for that.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I'm not arguing on pvp because I think there is a demand for a good pvp game. But are people looking for a large scale zerg faction game like what gw2 tried to do half assd.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I'm not arguing on pvp because I think there is a demand for a good pvp game. But are people looking for a large scale zerg faction game like what gw2 tried to do half assd.
I think there is a demand for this, especially by providing a platform for politics and intrigue. Look at Eve.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
EVE isn't a hardcoded faction game.

Is this game going to be based around crafting and logistics because that's what EVE is all about.

Debase

N00b
EVE isn't a hardcoded faction game.

Is this game going to be based around crafting and logistics because that's what EVE is all about.
I don't know that we really know yet, but I would say that's much more their intent that an "FPS in a Fantasy/RvR setting". Crafters are a completely stand alone class, so you would expect that to be pretty well hashed out as a system. Also, as far as logistics, much of the emphasis of the game is to build, destroy or capture massive physical structures which require game-acquired materials. These materials and the materials to make the best crafted equipment come from contested mines and quarries, most notably the Depths which is supposed to be a centralized "hotspot" that factions will need to keep and hold for extended periods while their crafters acquire and transport to safety the materials to their respective kingdoms.

As far as the overall requirement for 3000+ persons in an area, it was obviously a stress test that needed to exceed the highest probable outcome of the game. Having played a number of factional PVP games, the lag when you get a couple hundred people into a zone was unplayable for some, so I appreciate that they are emphasizing large scale combat as a core function as opposed to scale up later. The entire system design, including the handbuilt engine, is based specifically on ensuring large scale conflicts will play seamlessly.

The most exciting thing about CU for me (and I am certainly skeptical of the final product even as a backer) is Andrew Meggs leadership on the system design side. I fully expect the systems of the game to work very well. Whether they will be fun.... that's where I have reservations. We'll see over the coming year. Game has a very long way to go still.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Lastly, when is a realistic expectation for when this game will be released? Sometime in 2016 or later?
It's Mark Jacobs. This guy is to Matt Firor what the Emperor was to Darth Vader. Whenever it comes out, it will be absolute dog shit, and that is if they ever find anyone stupid enough to go work for them - effectively signing the laughing stock stamp on their resume.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Judging games by anything but the finished product is silly.
Ok - we will judge it based on Mark Jacobs then. No, the game will not be good. That's a given. You shouldn't make your judgement based on alpha, but you should definitely make your judgement based on the asshole running the ship.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
I believe folks are looking for large scale, faction based pvp with meaningful/impactful objectives. GW2 in its early days did very well in that regard but the burnout factor was high. Jacobs has what's left of his reputation on the line for this with the only possible saving grace being that he has some talented people working for him. He's been transparent, humble, and focused on getting this together so we'll see how it goes but the skepticism is certainly high. Even if they do pull it off and the game comes close to being successful, I doubt those that feel burned by him would even give it a second glance.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I believe folks are looking for large scale, faction based pvp with meaningful/impactful objectives. GW2 in its early days did very well in that regard but the burnout factor was high. Jacobs has what's left of his reputation on the line for this with the only possible saving grace being that he has some talented people working for him. He's been transparent, humble, and focused on getting this together so we'll see how it goes but the skepticism is certainly high. Even if they do pull it off and the game comes close to being successful, I doubt those that feel burned by him would even give it a second glance.
Preach brother....

I want it to go as far as factions owning land means you can buy, sell, take advantage of dungeons, etc. Imagine in EQ, if a faction owned Lavastorm and only they could enter Sol A and Sol B. That would impact item farming and raiding thus making it worth fighting for...

I've always wanted PvP to be about something that would benefit your team/faction yet everyone still had a chance to turn the tides. That's probably next to impossible but what i've always dreamed for in a MMO.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Whatever happened to this game? Is it still going to be made or did they throw in the towel?

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Some of the art design that they have put in on this game is really well done. The concept art team alone deserves some praise and hopefully they can keep as much of that in as possible given that everything I've seen of in game (alpha/beta1 whatever) looks like melted ass.

Hekotat

Draegan, why do you think it'll be hot garbage?

Anyone else have an opinion? How's it shaping up?

instead of them iterating over their ideas.. parallelize them. open up the tools to backers; the ability/scripting at the least. eqn showed that the fans do a better job with the supervision/insight/direction from the team -- most of it is shit, but there are a few that are exceptional. so far, the pvp ideas are lacking in quantity. opening it up would allow for alot of experimentation that's needed in this genre. aside from keep sieges, script: bridges, roads, different types of teleportation, sentinels, becons, lighthouses, motion detectors, traps, etc etc. the genre is played out.

pvp mmo needs to scale *down* when the population is down. whether done by % incentives or restriction of areas, it needs to be official and indicated on the map. the emptiness/isolation is what drives alot of ppl off and is never really acknowledged.

the chance that it is greater than the sum of the parts is unlikely. they have, what?, 1.5yrs to experiement from beta until they launch? yeah they said they would scrap their ideas if needed but i think there's not enough ideas:time to experiment on by themselves.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Draegan, why do you think it'll be hot garbage?

Anyone else have an opinion? How's it shaping up?
I don't b have access to the same so I could be very wrong, but to Ut up the place Mark Jacobs is making the game.

Also, not much talent in Virginia. Also hotbar tab target combat with tons of abilities. And it's a small studio making their own engine.

I think the game design will be bad, but that's subjective. I have my doubts the game will actually work.

Hekotat

I have no problems with being skeptical, especially after the last 10 years of games and MMO's. I also didn't know they were making their own engine, I still have a sliver of hope for some mass 3 way PVP, I guess I'll wait til it get's closer to check it out.