Camelot Unchained MMO

Redtah_sl

shitlord
No wonder people quit. You max out inside of a week (weekend if you hard core it) and are left with nothing but a faction via daily grind. Even if I wanted to level an alt I likely won't because, ding ding ding, there is no fucking way I'm going to stick with them because of the retarded end game faction systems these companies have been shitting out lately.

What a shock people don't get attached to their characters or the game.
If you want to play an FFA PvP MMO there's some game shadowfall or something or just play a FPS game. Diablo 2 has some sweet FFA PvP griefing I'm sure PoE has some. Why does it have to be an MMO?

Heres a list of FFA PvP games with full loot

Ultima Online : 1997
EvE Online : 2003
Mortal Online : 2010
Perpetuum : 2010
DarkFall: Unholy Wars : 2013 (no official release date)

Or do you mean faction as in Rep grinding? What MMO in the last like 6 years has had you rep grinding that had pvp in it?

Marple_sl

shitlord
If you want to play an FFA PvP MMO there's some game shadowfall or something or just play a FPS game. Diablo 2 has some sweet FFA PvP griefing I'm sure PoE has some. Why does it have to be an MMO?

Or do you mean faction as in Rep grinding? What MMO in the last like 6 years has had you rep grinding that had pvp in it?
I believe you mean Shadowbane. It was awsome. Just way ahead of his time.

Caliane

I feel FFA PvP is kindof a bad design concept. or, at least its a design concept that needs SO much good integration/systems around it to make it work, it never gets done well.
Any dev team that thinks FFA pvp is a good idea, is a bad dev team. and invariably the games they put out is going to be horribly flawed.

I mean, EvE the most successful there. and has some very good ideas on the actual FFA pvp part... its like playing a spreadsheet. its the most boring pos ever. whats the point of FFA pvp when the pvp is so boring to actually play?

Reading Darkfalls design doc pre-release. fuck I wanted to punch the devs. FFA people seem to get such a hardon for FFA, they forget they need to build proper game systems around it.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
In regards to stealth, I had zero problems with stealthers on Percival because I always ran in a full group. I just really do not like pure invisibility as a stealth design. I'd prefer something akin to how it's done in the Thief series, or Guild Wars 2, or LoL. I'd prefer a thief/assassin class that used 'stealth' as a compliment, instead of it being the class defining ability. I loved EQs Rogues implementation of stealth due to the danger, as well as the fun of backstabbing in groups. Again, that was PVE focused though.

Crowd Control is a different animal and has been implemented in a poor manner in just about every MMO. It's a great PVE mechanism but really it needs to be managed in a way that allows it to be effective but not a crutch, especially in group vs group combat. If a game is going to use it, then the tools need to not be as disparate as they were in early DAOC.

I believe you mean Shadowbane. It was awsome. Just way ahead of his time.
While the design had many progressive and neat ideas, the implementation was lacking. The main thing I remember about it was the nonstop crashes to desktop. I'm curious what would have happened if Bioware had taken the Shadowbane design and plopped it down in the Star Wars universe with Jedi and Sith, versus the Mass Effect/WOW hybrid we were given. Wolfpack had some good designers. It's a shame they didn't have the coders for the world they created. It was definitely ahead of its time.

RobXIII_sl said:
Less investment in the characters, community, and on top of that we're all getting older and in turn too old to be AE CC'd for 1 minute 17 seconds from an instant AE ability(or whatever it was at DAOC launch). I'm all about options for group vs zerg tactics, but not at the expense of losing control of my character for ludicrous amounts of time.
It's really a catch 22. We want attachment and community which takes time and patience, but we are mostly now burnt out old MMOers who want this quickly without the emotional investment we put into prior games. The trick is creating a game that allows that investment in a somewhat casual fashion, but isn't watered down to the point of being boring and focused on repetitive grinds. Grindiness is ok, if it's in a fun manner a la group vs group combat in the Frontiers.

Engineers on the other had actually had fucktons of aoe long range damage and their curses weren't instantly dispelled by any WP in a 10 mile radius. (Heres a nice little Infographic for those that don't know what I'm talking abouthttp://img297.imageshack.us/img297/9...rinfograph.gif)

Knockbacks if they are implemented in a game should be streamlines. Ironbreakers knocking people 300 feet further than any Destruction knockback could ever hope was straight bullshit. I played an OP as fuck DOK and healed like a beast before they buffed my sippy cups. I don't know if people realized this but DOKs also got an AOE KNOCKBACK at level 40. My knockback on a minute cooldown could maybe knock you back out of melee range for 1/100 of a second if i Knocked you downhill. Meanwhile Ironbreakers were spam knocking entire zergs off of cliffs on a 6 seconds rune etched axe bullshit cooldown. I got knocked further uphill by an IB then I knocked him back downhill. No fucking sense.

Detaunt I like single target detaunt maybe an aoe detaunt with a massive cooldown and certainly they should NOT STACK like they did with Warrior priest Dark Promise Set single target detaunt and their aoe detaunt. Also why the fuck didn't I get an AOE detaunt as a DOK? More order bullshit!
Hehe my main was a Warrior Priest and cleanse was definitely OP as hell. Damn it was the most fun healer class I've played though (Midgard Healer probably 2nd). I always thought it seemed weird that the melee/healer hybrid was the best healer overall on both sides due to their group heals. The pure cloth healers kinda sucked comparatively. Yeah, Mythic should have just said fuck it and made all classes mirrors of their order/chaos counterpart.
frown.png

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I did think the healing in Warhammer was really well designed. There was such a night and day difference in a skilled healer and a fucking bum w/ the same gear levels.

What a good Archmage, DoK or Warrior Priest could do was absolutely sickening.

Pair that against a good Witch Elf or Witch Hunter though... game was pretty good at those levels. Again and again I say and people agree, levelling up in Warhammer was very fun.

If they pair that with a working reincarnation/reimagination of darkness falls, I'm sold.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
I did think the healing in Warhammer was really well designed. There was such a night and day difference in a skilled healer and a fucking bum w/ the same gear levels.

I?d have to agree here. One of my 50?s was a Warrior Priest and man could I heal. Was a blast playing the class but they did make one mistake and that was the aoe heal you didn?t have to be in a group for. I think every WP would just run into a keep siege and start aoe healing next to the stars where the sorcs where aoe dpsing. You would suck up the renown points like a sponge since you weren?t grouped.

Pair that against a good Witch Elf or Witch Hunter though... game was pretty good at those levels. Again and again I say and people agree, levelling up in Warhammer was very fun.
Actually Witch Hunters sucked initially as a burst dps class. My first 50 was a Witch Hunter and man did I love him but they were definitely below the Witch Elf in burst dps. If you went after a cloth healer as a WH, unlike a WE who could kill the healer and many times get away, the WH had at best a 50% chance to kill the healer but would always be dead.

What we had to as compensation was an ability in our tree to self heal using our gun. They were the best 1v1 class by far though until they were nerfed, which always pissed me off. Pretty much every WH I knew went up this tree and could solo pretty much every other class. Probably why it got nerfed. When it did, I dropped the WH and moved on to a WP

If they pair that with a working reincarnation/reimagination of darkness falls, I'm sold. [/QUOTE]

The sad thing is in beta for WAR we were all drooling wanting them to add a Darkness Falls area or just more content in the warzones for people to head out there. Needless to say, they fucked both up. In DAoC, at launch, people went to the frontiers because it was great xp. The Bone Oracle camp in the Mid Frontier was gravy for both Mid xpers and Hib/Alb invaders to kill mids. They added nothing like that though and when they did add their DF area, it totally sucked.

I was completely baffled by how the guys who made the best RvR MMO could totally fuck up WAR, but they did.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

If they pair that with a working reincarnation/reimagination of darkness falls, I'm sold.
War did a ton of things right. And I really believe if they had had 3 factions instead of two that it would have been a long term success.

War had other issues but they were minor imo. Any open world pvp mmo that only has 2 factions is impossible to balance and doomed to failure. War's PvE wasn't it's selling point, so it couldn't carry the game like it does in other mmos with only 2 factions.

Another option is to not have hard coded factions at all. I have always wondered what a RvR game with Velious like factions would be like. Not one in space that is.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's your opinion, but you are a pve hero. PvP types found a lot to like in WAR. It didn't last, but in hindsight WAR's RvR pvp was much better than any mmo release since then, with the exception of maybe GW2. Lots of DAoC guilds stuck with WAR for over a year and enjoyed it in spite of it's flaws.

It couldn't overcome the basic 2 faction design flaw though. Side imbalance was a never ending issue for WAR and was a major cause of the constant decline in subs. Not the only cause, but a major one.

GW2 fixed the 3 faction issue but they failed in other areas. Many DAoC types preferred WAR's RvR over GW2's even with the 2 faction problem.

[...]Any dev team that thinks FFA pvp is a good idea, is a bad dev team. and invariably the games they put out is going to be horribly flawed.

I mean, EvE the most successful there. and has some very good ideas on the actual FFA pvp part... its like playing a spreadsheet. its the most boring pos ever. whats the point of FFA pvp when the pvp is so boring to actually play?
ffa isn't the problem. it's the glibness with which you typed this post.

General Antony

Vyemm Raider
For a game with good PVP (note: not a "PVP game") to be successful it has to get away from themepark-esque battlegrounds. Zones that are completely unconnected from the world are a completely meaningless victory. Let the battlegrounds be the Guks, the Sol Bs, the Sebilises of the world. Those are places worth fighting for, those are places where defeat has a real cost.

Wage

Molten Core Raider
That's your opinion, but you are a pve hero. PvP types found a lot to like in WAR. It didn't last, but in hindsight WAR's RvR pvp was much better than any mmo release since then, with the exception of maybe GW2. Lots of DAoC guilds stuck with WAR for over a year and enjoyed it in spite of it's flaws.
For all it's issues, I have a hard time coming up with more then a couple mmos I had more fun in than WAR.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I had a lot of fun in WAR for about 4 months. Playing with friends and just crushing destro everywhere. But it was pretty bad.

DMK_sl

shitlord
I tried really hard to like WAR. The animations etc just killed me unfortunately because I loved some of the ideas. Thankyou WAR for Public Quests they were a pretty big feature all MMOs now have. So thankyou WAR.

Marple_sl

shitlord
For a game with good PVP (note: not a "PVP game") to be successful it has to get away from themepark-esque battlegrounds. Zones that are completely unconnected from the world are a completely meaningless victory. Let the battlegrounds be the Guks, the Sol Bs, the Sebilises of the world. Those are places worth fighting for, those are places where defeat has a real cost.
I absolutly agree. Anyone who ever played EQ on a PvP Server will agree. I played on VZ and I can't tell you how awesome it was when the most hated Guild on the server locked down Sebilises for everyone else. The drama on the forums, the fight in game, the politics between the guilds that was the reason I played EQ.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Every time I want to jump in and defend War in this thread, my memories of Paul Barnett and desire to curbstomp him prevent me from doing so.

I did like PQs and the class structure. It's too bad Climax didn't release their Warhammer game, and we got the watered down PG-13 EA-Mythic version, instead of a darker, gothic world that would've been more interesting.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
That's your opinion, but you are a pve hero. PvP types found a lot to like in WAR. It didn't last, but in hindsight WAR's RvR pvp was much better than any mmo release since then
It also appears to be the opinion of about 80% of the player base, meaning yours, is in the minority.

As of September 30, 2008, WAR had sold 1.2 million copies and had 800,000 registered users.

As of October 10, 2008, Mythic Entertainment announced that 750,000 people were playing Warhammer Online.

As of December 31, 2008, the number of active WAR subscribers had decreased to "over 300,000 paying subscribers in North AmericaANDEurope.
WARSUCKED, Period. DAOC had a window of where it was finally fun between Shrouded Isles and New Frontiers/ToA. About eleven months? Before that it was an unfinished/unbalanced pile of shit, and after ToA was launched, and New Frontiers, it was awful.

Take off the rose colored glasses.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate

It couldn't overcome the basic 2 faction design flaw though. Side imbalance was a never ending issue for WAR and was a major cause of the constant decline in subs. Not the only cause, but a major one.

GW2 fixed the 3 faction issue but they failed in other areas. Many DAoC types preferred WAR's RvR over GW2's even with the 2 faction problem.
What? PVE Hero? The best part of WAR was the T1 PVP because everything was pretty well balanced at that point. It just got worse as you leveled. If they cut out all the other levels and abilities and just stuck the end-game mechanics on top of classes in T1 the game would of been much much better.

edit: Stop being retarded and thinking that all I do is play WOW 24/7 for the last decade. It makes you seem foolish.