Camping/Backpacking

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
My hiking experience is pretty much all in the eastern US in spring summer and fall. Here is a bunch of little stuff and not so little stuff:

Camp shoes. Like a pair of crocs. Let's you take your boots off, but not get your feet/socks dirty and keeps you from tracking stuff into the tent.

Keep a set of dry clothes you wear to bed. And then hiking clothes. Have multiplies of underwear and socks, but you only really need two shirts & pants. It may suck to put damp cold clothes back on in the morning. But 10 minutes in everything will be warmed back up. Not having dry clothes at night though... that really sucks. I like wool thermals, fresh socks, a hat and a dry shirt for bed.

Even in summer have a light fleece, knit hat and windbreaker/ rain coat shell.

Inflatable bed roll/mat and pillow. The mat is so much nicer than those bumpy foam pads. The pillow was because I was tired of lumpy sleeping bag sacks stuffed with a fleece jacket.

Plan your meals for each day. And then pack some extra snacks for in between. Having too much is rarely a real problem. Not having enough can be. Unpackege everything and consolidate into plastic bags.

Get some hiking poles. They are great for saving your knees.

Have a good headlamp with fresh batteries or a full charge. Anything that can be charged can utilize a portable solar charger.

Know where you are going. Check the trail maps constantly. Keep gauging how long tI'll then next good camping spot.

Stay on the trails. Especially at higher elevations. Lots of delicate little plants up there.

Know where you are going to get water. That sawyer water filter really does work great.

Be aware of the forecasted weather. Be aware of your elevation. Weather changes dramatically between peaks and valleys.

Always have the relevant maps for your area. Have a compass and know how to use it.

Let someone know where you are going, and how long you are going to be there.

Be respectful of the place you are in. Leave it as you found it.

Have cash if you are going to use a campsite that charges.

Have a plan for getting back to where you parked if you are coming out in a different location then where you started. (Taxi service ect. )

There's way more but that's all I got for now.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
Don't forget a small folding shovel for when you need to crap.. Don't piss or poo within 50M,50 yards of a water source...
Or be ultra eco friendly and bag it to carry back out.

The biggest thing to remember, have fun..

Feien

Ploppers
Big Post Incoming...

Here's my personal Backpacking/Camping/Roadtrip Gear inventory list, and what I've personally found to be useful during my trips, it might not be the very best gear out there, but will give you a good idea of what to compare it to. Also, it's not fully finished, but I'll try to come back in the next few days or weeks and continue updating it.

Gear:
Tents

Big Agness Copper Spur UL 3 w/ mtnGLO w/ Footprint for Big Agness Copper Spur UL 3
Note: I got the footprint as a gift, but Tyvek is great, cheap, and lightweight material for footprints
Nemo Asashi 4P (discontinued)
Nemo Losi 3p (discontinued)
If you really want to go light, you can always get a Bivy instead of a tent such as this one. Outdoor Research Advanced Bivy

Sleeping Bags
Sea to Summit Spark SP III Sleeping Bag - 25F (Comfort 35F) - This is a really expensive sleeping bag, and not the best out there, however I think it might be the best one that packs as small as it does. Most of the camping I do is overseas, and luggage space is very important to me. The cost I can save in extra luggage can make up for the extra cost of this bag.
Marmot Pinnacle Sleeping Bag - 15F (Comfort 21F)(Discontinued) - Unfortunately this bag has been discontinued, but was probably the best bag I tested a few years ago and I still love it, since it's still holding strong I haven't looked into new bags, but I'll ask around and update if I hear good recommendations.
Marmot Sawtooth 15F (Comfort 28F) - Not as comfortable as the Pinnacle above , but it does well in cold weather.

Sleeping Pad
Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite Sleeping Pad - Best pad I've used, and I've tried many, but sometimes it comes to personal taste.
REI Co-op Camp Bed 3.5 Self-Inflating Sleeping Pad XL - If you are car camping, this thing is amazing. Definitely not for Backpacking though

Pillows
Sea to Summit Aeros Ultralight Pillow - Very nice and packs tiny (Inflatable)
Therm-a-Rest Compressible Pillow - A bit bulky for some, but they are incredibly nice to have after a long day of hiking

Backpacks
Osprey Atmos - Like I mentioned above, amazing pack. Get measured!
F-Stop Shinn w/ Cine Master ICU - I do videography andthis is the best pack I've found to carry my camera, lenses and gear along with my camping gear by using a smaller ICU, for those who might be interested in bags for cameras and such. If you want something a bit smaller try the Tilopa (I recently preordered one). Downside is they are expensive... but worth it.

Pack Rain Cover / Dry Sack
Sea to Summit eVent Compression Dry Sack - There's also the Ultra-Sil version which is lighter, but I think the straps and buckles are tougher and compression works a bit better on these.http://amzn.to/2m6DOqU

Packing organizers
Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter Compression Cube

Small Daypack

Camping Chair
Big Agnes - Helinox - Chair One - Great portable chair. This is one of those items you may not want to bring in a Long backpacking trip to shave off weight, but your back will thank you when you sit for a while in an area where you can't lean your back on something. Also they recently released the Big Agnes - Helinox - Chair Zero, which I hear is a bit more comfortable and lightweight.

Headlamps
Black Diamond Storm Headlamp - I love this thing.

Lantern
Black Diamond Apollo Lantern

Knife

Multitool

Trekking Poles

Whistle/Signaling Mirror
Coghlan's Featherweight Mirror

GPS
Suunto MC-2G In Global Compass

Lighter

Fire starter

Water Bottles
Nalgene Ultralite Wide-Mouth Water Bottle - 48 fl. oz.
Vapur Element Water Bottle - 34 fl. oz.

Water filter
Sawyer Mini Water Filter

Map

Inflatable Boat
Supai Adventure Gear - Matkat Flatwater Boat - One of my favorite things to carry if I go somewhere with a lake.
Coghlan's 0817 Battery Powered Air Pump

Other
Duct tape rolled on a pencil - Grab some ductape and roll it on a piece of pencil
Mini Moso Natural Air Purifying Bag, Charcoal, 50gm, Pack of 2 - If you want to avoid smelly shoes or bags.

Kitchen
Stove

Jetboil Flash Cooking System w/ Java Kit
MSR PocketRocket Backpacking Stove

Coffee and Tea
Aeropress - If you feel like carrying coffee beans and a grinder, this thing is lovely
Porlex Mini Stainless Steel Coffee Grinder - There's cheaper options out there, but this is the only one I've tried and it's done its job well.
Zojirushi SM-SA48-BA Stainless Steel Mug - Not for Backpacking, but if you want something to keep your coffee/tea hot for HOURS, this will do the job.

Pots, Pans, Plates
GSI Outdoors Bugaboo Backpacker Cookware Set - This is the set I have and it's nice for two people.
Lodge Cast Iron - Not for Backpacking, but when you get a chance to carry a cast iron, it's worth it
Tovolo Mini Silicone Tongs - Avoid getting burned

Cutlery
Snow Peak Titanium Spork
Sea to Summit Alpha Light Spork

Odor Free bags
Loksak Opsak
BaseCamp Odor-Barrier Bag

Food
ProBar Meal Bar - These are my favorite, but get what you like
Starbucks Via - Obviously not the best coffee out there, but damn practical
More info to come here.

Clothing
Boots/Shoes

La Sportiva Synthesis Mid GTX Men’s Ultralight Hiking Boot
KEEN Men's Newport H2 Sandal - Great for river walking. For example, they were absolute champs during my trip to Zion's Narrows Trail
Salomon Men's Quest 4D 2 GTX Hiking Boot

Socks
Darn Tough Men's Merino Wool Hiker Boot Sock Full Cushion Socks

Rain Jacket

Down Jacket
Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer Down Hooded Jacket - Expensive, but I love this thing.

Pants
Prana Stretch Zion Pants - I have not found better pants than these yet, and I've tested many.

Underwear
ExOfficio GiveNGo

Bandanda or Buff

Sun Shielding Hat / Ball Cap

Winter Hat

Warm Gloves or Mittens

Personal
Sunglasses

Sun Screen
NO-AD Broad Spectrum SPF 30 - Cheaper and better than other name brands

Lip Balm

Toothbrush
One Sofresh Flossing Toothbrush Soft

Toothpaste

Soap

Toilet Paper /Wipes

Hand Sanitizer

Ziploc Bags

Insect Repellent

Quick Drying Towel

First Aid Kit
Adventure Medical Adventure First Aid Series Medical Kit - Usually buying a kit isn't worth it, but I like this one. Later on I'll write the things you may want to carry with you.

Portable Battery
Anker PowerCore 20100 - Not for backpacking really, but great if you are carrying devices that you can charge with USB. If you plan on carrying your phone and taking pictures with it, something like this is a most, cuz you WILL run out of battery.

Journal / pen
Field Notes
Field Notes Expedition 3Pk - Waterproof, but make sure to not use gel pens

Trip itinerary left with friend and under car seat

Cameras
Ricoh Theta S Digital Camera - Not many people doing 360 yet, fun little camera to capture areas where you visit

Camera Accessories
LensPen New DSLR Pro Camera Cleaning Kit
Smatree SmaPole Q3 Telescoping Selfie Stick with Tripod Stand for Ricoh Theta

For your Car If You’re Car-Camping
Reliance Products Aqua-Tainer 4 Gallon Rigid Water Container
TireTek Premium Tire Pressure Gauge With Integrated Hold Valve - 60PSI
Brightech - SCORPION Portable Car Battery Jump Starter with SmartJump Technology
BESTEK 300W Power Inverter DC 12V to 110V AC Car Inverter with 3.1A Dual USB Car Adapter

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Big Post Incoming...

Here's my personal Backpacking/Camping/Roadtrip Gear inventory list, and what I've personally found to be useful during my trips, it might not be the very best gear out there, but will give you a good idea of what to compare it to. Also, it's not fully finished, but I'll try to come back in the next few days or weeks and continue updating it.

Gear:
Tents

Big Agness Copper Spur UL 3 w/ mtnGLO w/ Footprint for Big Agness Copper Spur UL 3
Note: I got the footprint as a gift, but Tyvek is great, cheap, and lightweight material for footprints
Nemo Asashi 4P (discontinued)
Nemo Losi 3p (discontinued)
If you really want to go light, you can always get a Bivy instead of a tent such as this one. Outdoor Research Advanced Bivy

Sleeping Bags
Sea to Summit Spark SP III Sleeping Bag - 25F (Comfort 35F) - This is a really expensive sleeping bag, and not the best out there, however I think it might be the best one that packs as small as it does. Most of the camping I do is overseas, and luggage space is very important to me. The cost I can save in extra luggage can make up for the extra cost of this bag.
Marmot Pinnacle Sleeping Bag - 15F (Comfort 21F)(Discontinued) - Unfortunately this bag has been discontinued, but was probably the best bag I tested a few years ago and I still love it, since it's still holding strong I haven't looked into new bags, but I'll ask around and update if I hear good recommendations.
Marmot Sawtooth 15F (Comfort 28F) - Not as comfortable as the Pinnacle above , but it does well in cold weather.

Sleeping Pad
Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite Sleeping Pad - Best pad I've used, and I've tried many, but sometimes it comes to personal taste.
REI Co-op Camp Bed 3.5 Self-Inflating Sleeping Pad XL - If you are car camping, this thing is amazing. Definitely not for Backpacking though

Pillows
Sea to Summit Aeros Ultralight Pillow - Very nice and packs tiny (Inflatable)
Therm-a-Rest Compressible Pillow - A bit bulky for some, but they are incredibly nice to have after a long day of hiking

Backpacks
Osprey Atmos - Like I mentioned above, amazing pack. Get measured!
F-Stop Shinn w/ Cine Master ICU - I do videography andthis is the best pack I've found to carry my camera, lenses and gear along with my camping gear by using a smaller ICU, for those who might be interested in bags for cameras and such. If you want something a bit smaller try the Tilopa (I recently preordered one). Downside is they are expensive... but worth it.

Pack Rain Cover / Dry Sack
Sea to Summit eVent Compression Dry Sack - There's also the Ultra-Sil version which is lighter, but I think the straps and buckles are tougher and compression works a bit better on these.

Packing organizers
Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter Compression Cube

Small Daypack

Camping Chair
Big Agnes - Helinox - Chair One - Great portable chair. This is one of those items you may not want to bring in a Long backpacking trip to shave off weight, but your back will thank you when you sit for a while in an area where you can't lean your back on something. Also they recently released the Big Agnes - Helinox - Chair Zero, which I hear is a bit more comfortable and lightweight.

Headlamps
Black Diamond Storm Headlamp - I love this thing.

Lantern
Black Diamond Apollo Lantern

Knife

Multitool

Trekking Poles

Whistle/Signaling Mirror
Coghlan's Featherweight Mirror

GPS
Suunto MC-2G In Global Compass

Lighter

Fire starter

Water Bottles
Nalgene Ultralite Wide-Mouth Water Bottle - 48 fl. oz.
Vapur Element Water Bottle - 34 fl. oz.

Water filter
Sawyer Mini Water Filter

Map

Inflatable Boat
Supai Adventure Gear - Matkat Flatwater Boat - One of my favorite things to carry if I go somewhere with a lake.
Coghlan's 0817 Battery Powered Air Pump

Other
Duct tape rolled on a pencil - Grab some ductape and roll it on a piece of pencil
Mini Moso Natural Air Purifying Bag, Charcoal, 50gm, Pack of 2 - If you want to avoid smelly shoes or bags.

Kitchen
Stove

Jetboil Flash Cooking System w/ Java Kit
MSR PocketRocket Backpacking Stove

Coffee and Tea
Aeropress - If you feel like carrying coffee beans and a grinder, this thing is lovely
Porlex Mini Stainless Steel Coffee Grinder - There's cheaper options out there, but this is the only one I've tried and it's done its job well.
Zojirushi SM-SA48-BA Stainless Steel Mug - Not for Backpacking, but if you want something to keep your coffee/tea hot for HOURS, this will do the job.

Pots, Pans, Plates
GSI Outdoors Bugaboo Backpacker Cookware Set - This is the set I have and it's nice for two people.
Lodge Cast Iron - Not for Backpacking, but when you get a chance to carry a cast iron, it's worth it
Tovolo Mini Silicone Tongs - Avoid getting burned

Cutlery
Snow Peak Titanium Spork
Sea to Summit Alpha Light Spork

Odor Free bags
Loksak Opsak
BaseCamp Odor-Barrier Bag

Food
ProBar Meal Bar - These are my favorite, but get what you like
Starbucks Via - Obviously not the best coffee out there, but damn practical
More info to come here.

Clothing
Boots/Shoes

La Sportiva Synthesis Mid GTX Men’s Ultralight Hiking Boot
KEEN Men's Newport H2 Sandal - Great for river walking. For example, they were absolute champs during my trip to Zion's Narrows Trail
Salomon Men's Quest 4D 2 GTX Hiking Boot

Socks
Darn Tough Men's Merino Wool Hiker Boot Sock Full Cushion Socks

Rain Jacket

Down Jacket
Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer Down Hooded Jacket - Expensive, but I love this thing.

Pants
Prana Stretch Zion Pants - I have not found better pants than these yet, and I've tested many.

Underwear
ExOfficio GiveNGo

Bandanda or Buff

Sun Shielding Hat / Ball Cap

Winter Hat

Warm Gloves or Mittens

Personal
Sunglasses

Sun Screen
NO-AD Broad Spectrum SPF 30 - Cheaper and better than other name brands

Lip Balm

Toothbrush
One Sofresh Flossing Toothbrush Soft

Toothpaste

Soap

Toilet Paper /Wipes

Hand Sanitizer

Ziploc Bags

Insect Repellent

Quick Drying Towel

First Aid Kit
Adventure Medical Adventure First Aid Series Medical Kit - Usually buying a kit isn't worth it, but I like this one. Later on I'll write the things you may want to carry with you.

Portable Battery
Anker PowerCore 20100 - Not for backpacking really, but great if you are carrying devices that you can charge with USB. If you plan on carrying your phone and taking pictures with it, something like this is a most, cuz you WILL run out of battery.

Journal / pen
Field Notes
Field Notes Expedition 3Pk - Waterproof, but make sure to not use gel pens

Trip itinerary left with friend and under car seat

Cameras
Ricoh Theta S Digital Camera - Not many people doing 360 yet, fun little camera to capture areas where you visit

Camera Accessories
LensPen New DSLR Pro Camera Cleaning Kit
Smatree SmaPole Q3 Telescoping Selfie Stick with Tripod Stand for Ricoh Theta

For your Car If You’re Car-Camping
Reliance Products Aqua-Tainer 4 Gallon Rigid Water Container
TireTek Premium Tire Pressure Gauge With Integrated Hold Valve - 60PSI
Brightech - SCORPION Portable Car Battery Jump Starter with SmartJump Technology
BESTEK 300W Power Inverter DC 12V to 110V AC Car Inverter with 3.1A Dual USB Car Adapter

Thats quite a list.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
It's a good list though. I picked up the Copper Spur 3 and am itching to use it. Also bought the headlamp listed as well. I'm sort of on my way to bikepacking, but need a few more essentials to go on a test run.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I have a bivy bag for my wifes bugout bag, while i have a full sleeping bag (not cuz i want to stay warm more, but it's HUGE and heavy), i'm actually thinking i should get a bivy bag for my own bugout bag and ditch the sleeping bag. (my initial thinking was, i'd carry the fuller load and in case it got super cold, we could both go in the sleeping bag, since we're asians)

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
I know this probably goes without saying, but be armed. Even a good knife can save you from an animal attack. Also have the ability to make fire without matches and learn how to use it before you actually need it.

• 2Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Big Post Incoming...
First Aid Kit
So yeah I recommend at the very least carrying one in your vehicle just in case. Two weeks ago I ended up needing mine. Picked it up while I was still in the Marines so it had been sitting unopened in my truck for 7 Phoenix summers but still got the job done;

PT8lowU.jpg

WligaTC.jpg

HleHq73.jpg

HzGi4jI.jpg
I ordered this. Gonna be hiking Humphreys probably this weekend so Ill see how well it does.

• 2Like

Feien

Ploppers
So yeah I recommend at the very least carrying one in your vehicle just in case. Two weeks ago I ended up needing mine. Picked it up while I was still in the Marines so it had been sitting unopened in my truck for 7 Phoenix summers but still got the job done

Definitely! Carrying one in my car has definitely come in handy.
Since that post has gotten some attention lately, I'll try to update the list soon, there are some new things I've added or updated in my inventory, and I'll add things that I always carry with me in my car

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
So yeah I recommend at the very least carrying one in your vehicle just in case. Two weeks ago I ended up needing mine. Picked it up while I was still in the Marines so it had been sitting unopened in my truck for 7 Phoenix summers but still got the job done;

PT8lowU.jpg

WligaTC.jpg

HleHq73.jpg

HzGi4jI.jpg

I ordered this. Gonna be hiking Humphreys probably this weekend so Ill see how well it does.

Damn dude. But yeah kind of amazed at the amount of people who don't even have first aid stuff at their house as well.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
  • 2Like
I am planning a camping this summer too, hope I bought all equipment. It is so responsible and difficult work to organize a camping. You need to figure out what you will need during several week in the forest. You should provide for everything, because it won't be any possibility just to go back to the city and buy what you need. The most important things are food, tents or places to sleep and cook, clothes and batteries for energy. You can write a checklist on hand that way you don’t leave any essentials behind. Last year for example we forgot to buy lanterns, but this year we had already bought Vont led camping lanterns.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user