Can the US just ban Celsius from the world please?

drychnath

Golden Knight of the Realm
How about the Newton thermal measurement system? 0 frozen 33 boiling (33 because that's the age Jesus died... and because Newton was a dirty stinking Mason/Templar)

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
It's funny up here. We use Imperial measurements in the construction industry in the field always, and on most designs and drawings. However, some engineering firms and planners will use metric, which is really fucking annoying. Especially when you are working with something like 1-1/4" pipe and they draw it up as 32mm. I can visualize 1-1/4" pipe, pretty hard to picture what 32mm is in your head.

We talk about our weight in pounds and height in feet. But on Government documents it's in kilograms and centimeters...
That's cause most construction materials are made in the US, or will be exported to the US. So we're stuck using imperial or bastardized metric until the US gets it's shit together. It's annoying as fuck. Pipe sizes and stuff are permanently fucked though, no matter what system of measurement you use, because some are OD, some are ID, and some are nominal depending on what material or system you're talking about. It's a total shit show.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
We should have made all the allies agree to use our standard and measures if they wanted our help in WWII!

ezcw_sl

shitlord
Metric is best for the really small and really large.

I like Imperial for anything on the scale of a person. It's just easier to visualize and the measurements match up better.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's funny up here. We use Imperial measurements in the construction industry in the field always, and on most designs and drawings. However, some engineering firms and planners will use metric, which is really fucking annoying. Especially when you are working with something like 1-1/4" pipe and they draw it up as 32mm. I can visualize 1-1/4" pipe, pretty hard to picture what 32mm is in your head.

We talk about our weight in pounds and height in feet. But on Government documents it's in kilograms and centimeters...
What kind of ass backwards shitty company do you work for in Canada that uses imperial on your engineered drawings? Even on the field you don't ever see imperial on lims, isos p and ids ect. It's even becoming rare to catch a trades man using a duel measuring tape.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's cause most construction materials are made in the US, or will be exported to the US. So we're stuck using imperial or bastardized metric until the US gets it's shit together. It's annoying as fuck. Pipe sizes and stuff are permanently fucked though, no matter what system of measurement you use, because some are OD, some are ID, and some are nominal depending on what material or system you're talking about. It's a total shit show.
OD of pipe is always standard till 12" and above. Metric pipe follows the same OD sizes

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I've been working in the steel industry here in Australia for 15ish years.

We had tube supplied that was made in Japan ( some was Singapore ) Made for sale in the Australian market and yet everything was a metric equiv of the imperial version.

ie: 25.4mm : 38.1mm : 50.8mm - just stuck in the old ways I guess.

Nuts and bolts = always imperial. The only time a metric bolt might be needed would be to mount some electrical component with it's existing mounting points.

Conversations about a build can include dimensions in 'true' millimeters, then mil equiv of imperial and then just true imperial. You get used to it though, mentally switch back and forth.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I've no issue switching to metric but leave the dates the fuck alone.
I know right? 12/06/13 is the proper way to display the date. You NEED to know what month it is first and then the date in that month. Knowing the date and then the month is pointless.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
rrr_img_52218.jpg

Fields measured in metre's and they don't wear all that padding. Checkmate Imperialist
It's true. After watching a live NRL game I realize Merican Football is for megapussies. A game of well padded millionaires.

Australian football is for real men.

I have the weirdest boner right now

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
All of our date systems are retarded. Try sorting timestamps with either the day or the month first.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
YYYY-MM-DD.HH:MM:SS.MIS
2013-12-07.11:11:18.512 for life.

Also it's good to be in a field that only uses the metric system. The imperial system is used by peasants.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The best part about engineering (and any science) school in America is everything we learn and work on is in metric. Literally never use imperial unless we have to explain it to some moron who doesn't understand what a meter is or whatever. Even voltage and current uses milli-, kilo-, Mega-, etc. It's like we know using imperial is retarded, but probably because the blacks and rednecks can't handle the change so we have to stay with it.

Caliane

The best part about engineering (and any science) school in America is everything we learn and work on is in metric. Literally never use imperial unless we have to explain it to some moron who doesn't understand what a meter is or whatever. Even voltage and current uses milli-, kilo-, Mega-, etc. It's like we know using imperial is retarded, but probably because the blacks and rednecks can't handle the change so we have to stay with it.
Engineering is precise and mechanical based on math. No shit you use metric.

Real world day to day applications however are not based on laboratory measurements. They are based on human elements of perception.

ramp

Silver Knight of the Realm
The day the imperial system dies and every single printer defaults to A4 instead of letter will be the best day, ever.

rrr_img_52309.gif

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Real world day to day applications however are not based on laboratory measurements. They are based on human elements of perception.
"I grew up using imperial, so I feel that imperial is objectively more intuitive"