Cape Cod

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tilluin

Molten Core Raider
Heading to Cape Cod early August after some time in Boston, Maine and NH - got about 5 days/nights to fill and no knowledge! Anyone got any tips for must see/do? We've seen a drive in cinema that's apparently good.

Any particular beaches better than others? Is Martha's Vineyard worth a day trip? We're central Cape Cod but have a car and open to renting bikes. Keen to chill out, hit some nice beaches and explore some cool towns.

Cybsled

If you plan to go to the Vineyard, go early. The parking lots for the ferries in Falmouth fill up fast on nice days and you don't want to wait for the final ferries of the day to leave the Vineyard because it will be a shitshow. The island is pretty small. If you're game, you can rent some bikes and literally ride around the island. Otherwise, most of the businesses are primarily centered in the area where the ferry dumps you off.

Dennis beach is nice (faces the inner part vs. the open Atlantic, so when the tide goes out, there is like half a mile of sandbars you can walk out on), but there is some endangered bird that made a nest and they recently shutdown most of the parking recently, although that should be cleared up by the time you get to the Cape. The National Seashore beach in Barnstable is nice as well, although avoid the hiking trails because they are full of ticks. Speaking of which, the Cape is full of ticks. Check yourself frequently if you spent any time near lawns or woods. Beach should be fine, the asshole green flies that bite are the only concern there usually lol.

The Whydah pirate museum in West Yarmouth is pretty cool. It is pretty new museum /w National Geographic support and has a ton of awesome artifacts and treasure from the Whydah, which is the only pirate ship wreck ever found. Not to be confused with the Whydah museum in P-Town...that was the first museum they made back in the 80s, but it doesn't have much besides some coins and a cannon and all the good stuff is at the new one. The new one has everything from the anchor, to cannons, to a fuckload of gold and silver, to weapons. They are still doing active excavation and have an entire room with artifacts from the wreck still encased in the concretions from the seafloor.

P-Town I've never been a huge fan of, but lots of people love it. It is waaaaaaaaaaayyyy at the tip of the Cape and the road eventually narrows to a single lane deal that gets really congested at peak times. Another "go early/leave early" type of place...lots of restaurants and bars and shops. At night it can get pretty rowdy, which can be fun if you're into that, but it is less fun when all the drunks try to drive home on that narrow ass road at night lol.

Hyannis has a bunch of stores and restaurants. Oddly enough, the best Mexican food I ever had is at a little hole in the wall place here called Mi Pueblo. It is kind of hard to find because it is down this alleyway near the former Hojos (i dunno what the fuck it is now, I just remember when it used to be a Hojos my grandmother used to be the manager for back in the 60s. Fun fact: When JFK won the election, Jackie Kennedy came in and tried to get away with not paying for the food they ordered for the party. My grandmother wasn't going to take that shit and told her she didn't care if he was the president, they needed to pay lol). There isn't any big signage, but the food is damned good.

IDK where the best lobster roll is. We used to go to the Rawbar in Mashpee because they gave you a shitload of lobster, but the roll is like $28 (used to be $14 when no one knew about the place back in the 90s) and pretty sure they just use frozen vs fresh lobster meat now. I'll eat a lobster roll, but I'm not one of those devotees that go crazy for them. My aunt in Maine lives next door to a lobsterman that would sell them a few cheap when he got back from his traps, so I ate it a lot as a kid and I got kinda sick of it lol.

Oh ya, and do mankind a favor and read up on how to drive in a rotary if you are unfamiliar with them. Every year the Bourne Bridge rotary is a shitshow because all the tourists don't know how to use one and it backs up traffic for miles during peak times lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If you plan to go to the Vineyard, go early. The parking lots for the ferries in Falmouth fill up fast on nice days and you don't want to wait for the final ferries of the day to leave the Vineyard because it will be a shitshow. The island is pretty small. If you're game, you can rent some bikes and literally ride around the island. Otherwise, most of the businesses are primarily centered in the area where the ferry dumps you off.

Dennis beach is nice (faces the inner part vs. the open Atlantic, so when the tide goes out, there is like half a mile of sandbars you can walk out on), but there is some endangered bird that made a nest and they recently shutdown most of the parking recently, although that should be cleared up by the time you get to the Cape. The National Seashore beach in Barnstable is nice as well, although avoid the hiking trails because they are full of ticks. Speaking of which, the Cape is full of ticks. Check yourself frequently if you spent any time near lawns or woods. Beach should be fine, the asshole green flies that bite are the only concern there usually lol.

The Whydah pirate museum in West Yarmouth is pretty cool. It is pretty new museum /w National Geographic support and has a ton of awesome artifacts and treasure from the Whydah, which is the only pirate ship wreck ever found. Not to be confused with the Whydah museum in P-Town...that was the first museum they made back in the 80s, but it doesn't have much besides some coins and a cannon and all the good stuff is at the new one. The new one has everything from the anchor, to cannons, to a fuckload of gold and silver, to weapons. They are still doing active excavation and have an entire room with artifacts from the wreck still encased in the concretions from the seafloor.

P-Town I've never been a huge fan of, but lots of people love it. It is waaaaaaaaaaayyyy at the tip of the Cape and the road eventually narrows to a single lane deal that gets really congested at peak times. Another "go early/leave early" type of place...lots of restaurants and bars and shops. At night it can get pretty rowdy, which can be fun if you're into that, but it is less fun when all the drunks try to drive home on that narrow ass road at night lol.

Hyannis has a bunch of stores and restaurants. Oddly enough, the best Mexican food I ever had is at a little hole in the wall place here called Mi Pueblo. It is kind of hard to find because it is down this alleyway near the former Hojos (i dunno what the fuck it is now, I just remember when it used to be a Hojos my grandmother used to be the manager for back in the 60s. Fun fact: When JFK won the election, Jackie Kennedy came in and tried to get away with not paying for the food they ordered for the party. My grandmother wasn't going to take that shit and told her she didn't care if he was the president, they needed to pay lol). There isn't any big signage, but the food is damned good.

IDK where the best lobster roll is. We used to go to the Rawbar in Mashpee because they gave you a shitload of lobster, but the roll is like $28 (used to be $14 when no one knew about the place back in the 90s) and pretty sure they just use frozen vs fresh lobster meat now. I'll eat a lobster roll, but I'm not one of those devotees that go crazy for them. My aunt in Maine lives next door to a lobsterman that would sell them a few cheap when he got back from his traps, so I ate it a lot as a kid and I got kinda sick of it lol.

Oh ya, and do mankind a favor and read up on how to drive in a rotary if you are unfamiliar with them. Every year the Bourne Bridge rotary is a shitshow because all the tourists don't know how to use one and it backs up traffic for miles during peak times lol.
I believe non-massholes refer to them as roundabouts

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
P town is a pain in the ass to get to. If you're going to do a day trip vineyard. I've always taken the slow boat, not sure if the fast ferry is worth it. The drive in is about half way up the coast and is also a fucking pain to go to.

Go catch whatever cape league baseball game is going on while your there.

Biking the canal is pretty decent.

Also if you're in the cape on a Sunday, don't drive anywhere west of sandwich.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
There's a lot of really cool bike trails on the Cape if you're up for it. There used to be an old-timey penny candy store at some point along one of the main bike trails there, goes right down to the ocean eventually. Been a while but that was probably the most fun I had there, everything else is so crowded when the weather is good.

Cybsled

Stick to the trails, though. While Mass does have plenty of bike trails, most driver's attitudes are "get the fuck off the road", myself included lol

• 1Like

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Whaddup whaddup, real well acquainted with Cape Cod here. Hope I'm not too late to the thread. What town are you staying in?

Things I suggest you do;

1) Craigville Beach (sun bathing and swimming, though August is a horrendous time to go swimming because of the jellyfish and the blue fish).

2) Four Seas Ice Cream

3) Truro Drive In Theater

4) If you go to the Vineyard check out Edgartown, it's got a cool pub on the waterfront called, "the Wharf."

5) If you go to Nantucket check out the whaling museum.

6) Wicked good Irish restaurant on the Barnstable-Yarmouth line called, "Keltic Kitchen."

Advice;

Don't go to P-Town it's a freak show and it's so far out of the way. Nothing there is worth the trip.

Don't even go beyond Barnstable, really. Nothing else out there. Hyannis is probably the liveliest place you'll find if you aren't a native and you don't have your own boat. Plenty of stuff to do down there (check out the Beach Tree, wicked nice bar).

• 1Like

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
PTown is great if you like gays. If you don't, avoid it. It's like Fire Island.

Cybsled

It isn't on the Cape, but if you like beer, Treehouse Brewery is like an hour and a half from the Cape near Worcester (in Charleton). They are considered one of the best micro breweries in the US and even Euro beer snobs love their stuff. Gotta time your visit right, though, unless you like waiting in line for an hour (they only sell their stuff at the brewery).

Tilluin

Molten Core Raider
Just got back to England and the Cape was a good time. We really got into the Cape baseball league and went to a game almost every night. Amazing atmosphere and friendly locals willing to embrace foreign ignorants like my wife and I.

Ptown was...an experience. Crazy traffic like people said and I didn't realise quite how huge the gay vibe was there.

Cybsled

Worcester is no where near the Cape.

I know it isn't, but I forgot he was from England. If you live in Mass, traveling an hour is far. If you live in the huge ass western states, an hour is close ;p

That is great you went to the Cape league. Not surprised the people were welcoming...people in Mass are pretty passionate about baseball and love to try to convert new fans ;)

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just got back to England and the Cape was a good time. We really got into the Cape baseball league and went to a game almost every night. Amazing atmosphere and friendly locals willing to embrace foreign ignorants like my wife and I.

Ptown was...an experience. Crazy traffic like people said and I didn't realise quite how huge the gay vibe was there.

Which was your team? There is only one right answer.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Orleans Firebirds - we watched their 3 game series with Brewster. One guy said all I needed to know was "fuck Y-D"

Ah, my man. I'm a cotuit kettleers fan by birth but I'll let this slide.

Anyway, yeah. Y-D (which was know as DY for the entire time I grew up there) sucks. All their sports teams suck. Even their Highschool teams. Bunch of druggies in Dennis anyway.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Castro is more tame than PTown unless you happened to venture in the Castro in the 70s through the 80s.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ah, my man. I'm a cotuit kettleers fan by birth but I'll let this slide.

Anyway, yeah. Y-D (which was know as DY for the entire time I grew up there) sucks. All their sports teams suck. Even their Highschool teams. Bunch of druggies in Dennis anyway.
Is there any part to of the cape not full of druggies?