Captain America: Civil War (2016)

Column_sl

shitlord
Realize I'm a bit late here, but Ultron was not the fault of the Avengers, it was the fault of Tony Stark. Maybe you could tar Banner with that brush too since he was involved, but a pretty strong argument could be made for charging Stark with crimes against humanity for creating Ultron. I can totally see governments wanting some form of control over the Avengers, but at the same time it's sorta weird that nobody wants to hold Stark personally accountable for the thousands of deaths caused by his negligence.
It's because Stark is just the tip of the Iceberg.

If Tomorrow humans with extraordinary powers were to show up, Pretty much Gods. Human kind would be very afraid, and use any excuse to control them.

Because we know we are done. We are no longer the top of the food chain.

Column_sl

shitlord
I was saying this to my wife the other day. Starting in IM3, he started getting weak. A truck hit him and his armor fell off. This is a guy who went toe to toe with Hulk and Thor and lived. In Cap 3, Cap actually beat him. I love Cap, but in the comic, Cap was unable to scratch Iron Man's armor, until someone gave him an EMP device tailored to neutralize Tony's armor. In the movie, Cap owned Tony in the final fight. So they've moved Tony down in power, and every movie since Cap 1, they've made him more and more powerful.
Isn't he supposed to be weaker anyway since he removed the reactor? Also when he fought Hulk he had a HulkBuster suit on.

Winter Soldier was really the one who weakened him, then Cap pretty much finished him off. Two really strong Super Humans versus one human, he still did very well. Also considering he had to pull his punches with Steve the whole time

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Isn't he supposed to be weaker anyway since he removed the reactor? Also when he fought Hulk he had a HulkBuster suit on.

Winter Soldier was really the one who weakened him, then Cap pretty much finished him off. Two really strong Super Humans versus one human, he still did very well. Also considering he had to pull his punches with Steve the whole time
Winter Soldier and Cap are in the one ton range of strength levels. Iron Man is listed at 100+ tons. I rolled my eyes when Winter Soldier used his one arm to overpower Iron Man in the movie. I know they wanted to make the final fight compelling, but it's not happening unless you use some sort of EMP device against Iron Man.

Caliane

yeah, I liked that fight.

Tony is not as good as a fighter as either. Though, seems to have had some training in this version.
Tony in suit is MUCH stronger, but not faster. (should be noted, so is spiderman, but Cap threw him at one point too.) Iron man's "100 tons" is lifting. Lifting is not punching. no reason to think the suit is all "that" strong at punching. I think we can assume he can punch a car or so. but not punch a train or building, like he can lift.
Tony was fucking shit up with lazers. Chest beam taking Bucky's arm.
Tony DID win. But, dropped his guard, to focus on the downed Bucky.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
On the flip side of him being so weak in his armor, he somehow didn't instantly die when Bucky punched him in the unarmored chest earlier in the movie.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
In the comic book, it wasn't close until Cap used the tech he was given to neutralize him.

rrr_img_133684.jpg

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
We see him manipulated when he picks up Loki's staff at the start of the film....
By scarlet witch. Only enhancing his own insecurities. And again, manipulated..This is like saying 'the U.S. government was manipulated into launching a nuclear strike'. How do you think that would go over? Even if it were clearly true...Wouldn't you still question why something like that could happen? Wouldn't you believe more checks and security were needed after such a colossal fuck up? The fact is tony COULD do this, and no one was there to stop him because he has no checks--that is the problem, even if you believe he was manipulated THAT issue doesn't go away, why can ONE MAN cause so much harm with no one being able to put the brakes on him? Again, even the president doesn't have that power and it requires millions of people to put him in office.."

"Oh hey guys, we almost caused human extinction because of our obscene power, our bad...it was because of some manipulation in our organization. Pay no mind, kk thanks bye!"

lol, come on...hah.

Over half of the film Scarlet Witch is playing for the bad guys. It's only when she sees that Ultron is going to wipe everything out that she turns sides. We still don't know her full motivation even now.

Wrong the Avengers created one powerful AI, and one Super Powerful AI with the mind gem. Which is who Ultron fell too, and yet Vision still lives. Hmmm
Scarlet witch feels like she is justified in her opposition of Stark, she could make a case of her being a 'good guy' since she's only ever known bombs from the 'good guys'. She can make this case (Even if you could say she was wrong) because she wasn't trying to end humanity.You're comparing apples to bowling balls here--Ultron was an extinction event. Scarlet Witch was someone looking to grind down the Avengers because of how her family died due to the work of one avenger.

I have no idea of the distinction you're trying to make with the two AI's thing...Because they created a second AI, does it somehow stop the original AI from infecting the world, going on a global terrorist rampage, attempting to activate nuclear weapons and end humanity, lifting up a city to cause an extinction level events and killing hundreds of people along the way? If not, why bring up the second AI, this is, again, terrible logic--doing a good thing doesn't stop the bad thing from happening. It would be like you murdering someone in cold blood, straight up murder, then going out and murdering a guy who was about to hurt an innocent person and saying "I learned to murder that first innocent guy and it gave me the skills to protect that chick! So it makes my first murder okay!".

Once it was revealed to the audience who Crossbones was the audience already knows hes hydra from the Winter Soldier Movie, and that Super Serum vial has been shown more then once in the Movies, and both TV shows.
The AUDIENCE. Be a PERSON in the world. Again, we can fudge it say the media in this world is REALLY good and you're VERY educated in all this. But you're asking for knowledge from a clandestine organization, about a SINGLE agent of thousands, and then asking for people to understand his motivations as he steals from ANOTHER SECRET organization.

Even IF we knew that, nothing in Winter Soldier OR this movie should lead anyone to believe he is enhanced. Nearly every non-comic nerd I watched it with thought he was former hydra who now ran his own little terrorist thing after being driven underground from the last film. YOU extrapolate more than that because you read comics. I assure you, no one else does. (Hell, most people don't even know that is crossbones.)

If this existed in real life you should be afraid. Once that first Evolved Human is on the earth you my friend are obsolete, and we all know what mother nature does to the obsolete.
Most people in the film are not evolved humans, they are made by science. Rodgers can be recreated, and has been, apparently, multiple times. Iron Man's armor can go on anyone. The fear doesn't come from JUST personal insecurity, it also comes from people having enormous power without it being checked, again, even the most powerful forces on our world are checked--and those are democratically chosen.

In both TV shows, and Movies we have never seen any Avenger, or Shield go against any terror organizations that weren't Hydra. That info is out there..

Anything else the Avengers have stopped have been Gods, and Monsters.
Hydra is a terrorist organization, dude. They are some neo-nazis. The most threatening they ever did (In modern times) was when theparent organization of the Avengers, Shield,was used--again, who should we be more afraid of? Hydra...Or the Avengers, which again, if you count SHIELD as part of the Avengers (You said they still give Cap his intel) then it wasshield who made Hydra a threat at all.(Without shield, Hydra could never have done what it did)

So you have an organization again which the Avengers re-birthed through Shield, which now the Avengers go after violating national borders...Again, do you think this would fly? The U.S. has gotten enormous shit for hunting people down who are horrific people, and our agents are often sanctioned secretly by the countries we go into. You don't believe a private organization, hunting down another organization they helped create (In the modern era), with no oversights or sanction to operate in foreign nations? Would cause people to say 'whoa there a minute'? Really?

In the end I don't even disagree with you on a theoretical level, the Avengers are for sure the good guys, but its VERY easy for me to sympathize with people that have their assholes puckered about this. These people have tremendous power, and twice now that power has been used to shit on people (Hydra hijacking shield, Ultron). If the U.S. kept losing control of its nukes, but always managed to 'save the day' at the last second, and only kill a few hundred people? Yeah, id' start to question what right they have to keep nukes. Why aren't you holding the Avengers to this standard when they are pretty clearly more dangerous than a nuke?

Column_sl

shitlord
By scarlet witch. Only enhancing his own insecurities. And again, manipulated..This is like saying 'the U.S. government was manipulated into launching a nuclear strike'. How do you think that would go over?

"Oh hey guys, we almost caused human extinction because of our obscene power, our bad...it was because of some manipulation in our organization. Pay no mind, kk thanks bye!"

lol, come on you can't be serious.
You mean the Scarlet Witch that was created by the Mind Gem... Hmm look what I did there. ;} She even says in Civil War that she doesn't know if the powers she has control her, or if she controls them.

Scarlet witch feels like she is justified in her opposition of Stark, she could make a case of her being a 'good guy' since she's only ever known bombs from the 'good guys'. She can make this case (Even if you could say she was wrong) because she wasn't trying to end humanity.You're comparing apples to bowling balls here--Ultron was an extinction event. Scarlet Witch was someone looking to grind down the Avengers because of how her family died due to the work of one avenger.

I have no idea of the distinction you're trying to make with the two AI's thing...Because they created a second AI, does it somehow stop the original AI from infecting the world, going on a global terrorist rampage, attempting to activate nuclear weapons and end humanity, lifting up a city to cause an extinction level events and killing hundreds of people along the way? If not, why bring up the second AI, this is, again, terrible logic--doing a good thing doesn't stop the bad thing from happening. It would be like you murdering someone in cold blood, straight up murder, then going out and murdering a guy who was about to hurt an innocent person and saying "I learned to murder that first innocent guy and it gave me the skills to protect that chick! So it makes my first murder okay!".

That's like...again, terrible logic.
Yo forgot that 2nd AI even existed. That's how much you are paying attention. So I'm arguing with someone with the memory of Astrocreep lol

The AUDIENCE. Be a PERSON in the world, holy shit Column. Again, we can fudge it say the media in this world is REALLY good and you're VERY educated in all this. But you're asking for knowledge from a clandestine organization, about a SINGLE agent of thousands, and then asking for people to understand his motivations as he steals from ANOTHER SECRET organization.

Even IF we knew that, nothing in Winter Soldier OR this movie should lead anyone to believe he is enhanced. Nearly every non-comic nerd I watched it with thought he was former hydra who now ran his own little terrorist thing after being driven underground from the last film. YOU extrapolate more than that because you read comics. I assure you, no one else does. (Hell, most people don't even know that is crossbones.)
Umm I said the Avengers went after Hydra who create Super Humans, not that everyone in their organization is enhanced. We can clearly see in the Last 3 Captain American movies they are not...

Most people in the film are not evolved humans, they are made by science. Rodgers can be recreated, and has been, apparently, multiple times. Iron Man's armor can go on anyone. The fear doesn't come from JUST personal insecurity, it also comes from people having enormous power without it being checked, again, even the most powerful forces on our world are checked--and those are democratically chosen.
Just one evolved human is enough, and we're not even going to bring up the In-Humans who are in this Cinematic Universe...

Hydra is a terrorist organization, dude. They are some neo-nazis. The most threatening they ever got was when the parent organization of the Avengers, Shield, was used--again, who should we be more afraid of? Hydra...Or the Avengers, which again, if you count SHIELD as part of the Avengers (You said they still give Cap his intel) then it was shield who made Hydra a threat at all.

So you have organization again which the Avengers rebirthed through Shield, which now the Avengers go after violating national borders...Again, do you think this would fly? The U.S. has gotten enormous shit for hunting people down who are horrific people, and our agents are often sanctioned secretly by the countries we go into. You don't believe a private organization, hunting down another organization they helped create (In the modern era), with no oversights? Would cause people to say 'whoa there a minute'? Really?
Who said Hydra wasn't a terrorist organization? Well it's more of the World Dominating versus Chaos.

What I said was in every TV and Movie chapter the Avengers have only gone against Hydra. As you notice any other terror organizations haven't been touched.

Why do the Avengers have to go against Hydra? Because they have Super Humans, and the Avengers are the only ones that can stop them.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Realize I'm a bit late here, but Ultron was not the fault of the Avengers, it was the fault of Tony Stark. Maybe you could tar Banner with that brush too since he was involved, but a pretty strong argument could be made for charging Stark with crimes against humanity for creating Ultron. I can totally see governments wanting some form of control over the Avengers, but at the same time it's sorta weird that nobody wants to hold Stark personally accountable for the thousands of deaths caused by his negligence.
A distinction the public wouldn't care about, especially since the Avengers took no action against Stark and even helped him in the creation of ANOTHER AI.

But the point is this--why was Stark able to do something so reckless at all? Why was Shield able to shelter and birth Hydra? Even if you agree they were manipulated, most people would say 'duh'--organizations are prone to being manipulated and corrupted, it is something that everyone should know they need to plan for. There is a reason why the NSA and FBI piss on the CIA's toes and why the U.S. has so many intelligence agencies that don't always play nice--because the system is designed to be adversarial because we know the biggest risk is actually the institutions which protect us. They, by nature, need to be stronger than our enemies, so it makes them a natural target for our enemies to use against us.

The Avengers should see themselves in the same way--as the Vision said, their existence invites people to attempt to subvert them. That is human nature, it's happened since the dawn of time. Zemo's entire motivation was built upon this. He knew he could pull it off precisely because aspects of the Avengers were not being governed..it's why this movie was really good in the end, Zemowon.He used the fact that the Avengers had not acknowledged their real weakness (Lack of oversight) and used it against them.

Column_sl

shitlord
Why was Shield able to shelter and birth Hydra
Wait what? Hydra predates SHIELD by 100's of years.

Hydra has infiltrated all governments, and organizations across the globe.

Hail Hydra?

gary-shandling-30a20a91-6b63-468e-890d-7b2dc07bdc46.jpg

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
You mean the Scarlet Witch that was created by the Mind Gem... Hmm look what I did there. ;} She even says in Civil War that she doesn't know if the powers she has control her, or if she controls them.
So it wasn't the mind gem, then. It was someone who got powers from the mind gem. And as said, she doesn't know--no reaosnable person would right this off as 'well Tony was manipulated"--at best that is a doubtful assertion. It also does not address the main point.

Why did Tony have the power to end all life on earth? Why do we assume a single man can't be corrupted? That is a dangerously naive assumption. Even if he was manipulated, it doesn't change the argument, this is, really, irrelevant to the point. In fact, it proves the point, if a man has so much power that he can END THE WORLD, what sense does it make that he is not overseen or his power not constrained by a democratic process? You're essentially attempting to make a case of tyranny here. (And while a logical case can be made, it's certainly not without major flaws. Which is why I said, this is a case where both parties are right and wrong, it depends on nuance and context.)

Yo forgot that 2nd AI even existed. That's how much you are paying attention. So I'm arguing with someone with the memory of Astrocreep lol
I didn't forget, I just didn't bring up an irrelevant point. Again, how does the second AI discount the first's actions? Why would I even bring up the second AI? Its a red herring argument you tossed in there for absolutely no reason.

Does Vision existing mean the Avengers didn't create an evil AI which tried to destroy the world, yes or no? No, he clearly doesn't affect that statement. Stop projecting how you feel on me, your irrelevant and random tangents might remind you of Astrocreep, but keep that to yourself.

Umm I said the Avengers went after Hydra who create Super Humans, not that everyone in their organization is enhanced. We can clearly see in the Last 3 Captain American movies they are not...
Okay, so they are a terrorist organization, not all superhumans. So the Avengers are running around fighting terrorists. Good.

Just one evolved human is enough, and we're not even going to bring up the In-Humans who are in this Cinematic Universe...
In a universe with technology like the Iron Man suits, Falcon suits, Pym particples and super serums? You're putting way too much emphasis on evolution. The moment we can manipulate evolutionary systems to create Captain Americas or Winter Soldiers, is the moment being 'super human' is less of an extinction threat and more of an extinction based off of rapid change into a new species. Fearing super humans is logical, people would do that, but this is more about people with unlimited power having no oversight. The technology at play here is far more dangerous than the people, discounting Thor. (Who is technically an alien threat) and Banner (Which is a kind of mutation, as Stark said, normal people die when hit by Gamma)

Who said Hydra wasn't a terrorist organization? Well it's more of the World Dominating versus Chaos.

What I said was in every TV and Movie chapter the Avengers have only gone against Hydra. As you notice any other terror organizations haven't been touched.

Why do the Avengers have to go against Hydra? Because they have Super Humans, and the Avengers are the only ones that can stop them.
Answer this, and be honest. You really don't believe a standard special forces team, with full support (Drones ect), could have pulled off bringing Cross Bones and his goons down? They could have, easily. Not to get into a Nerd argument, but a few snipers would have ended that fight a lot faster than the Avengers did. The reason the Avengers were there was almost solely about being able to act with impunity, rather than simply being 'the only ones who could take them down'.

Maybe there are elements of Hydra, like the 5 winter soldiers, who the Avengers would absolutely be needed for...But again, what the public saw in Africa was the Avengers taking down....a group of pretty normal, gun wielding terrorists. Just like Navy Seals, and other special forces do, except the Avengers did it here because they can violate national sovereignty at will while if a nation does that, its a bit of an issue. (Which is why the Sec of State mentioned that one of the concerns was that the Avengers were a U.S. based organization.)

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Wait what? Hydra predates SHIELD by 100's of years.

Hydra has infiltrated all governments, and organizations across the globe.

Hail Hydra?
And luckily governments have checks and balances which makes it so Hydra has thus far not been able to get their hands on technology that can end the world (Technology which exists across many governments). The exception to this was Nazi Germany, run by a sociopath, mass murdering, mad man....And....The Avengers/Shield.

Goodcompany the Avengers are in; why would anyone be worried! (In Germany, obviously, Hydra gained power because the Tyrant, Hitler, allowed them to operate with minimal checks. Just like Shield and the Avengers are allowed to operate with minimal checks--Hydra grows when they are incubated in organizations that are not transparent and not answerable to others. You're kind of making my argument for me here.)

Column_sl

shitlord
So it wasn't the mind gem, then. It was someone who got powers from the mind gem. And as said, she doesn't know--no reaosnable person would right this off as 'well Tony was manipulated"--at best that is a doubtful assertion. It also does not address the main point.

Why did Tony have the power to end all life on earth? Why do we assume a single man can't be corrupted? That is a dangerously naive assumption. Even if he was manipulated, it doesn't change the argument, this is, really, irrelevant to the point. In fact, it proves the point, if a man has so much power that he can END THE WORLD, what sense does it make that he is not overseen or his power not constrained by a democratic process? You're essentially attempting to make a case of tyranny here. (And while a logical case can be made, it's certainly not without major flaws.)
You're assuming you know the full story on what the Mind Gem is doing, like I'm assuming what it may be doing.

If the end game was the Gem to put itself into a powerful host body to protect itself then it succeeded, and there is evidence to back up that point.

I didn't forget, I just didn't bring up an irrelevant point. Again, how does the second AI discount the first's actions? Why would I even bring up the second AI? Its a red herring argument you tossed in there for absolutely no reason.

Does Vision existing mean the Avengers didn't create an evil AI which tried to destroy the world, yes or no? No, he clearly doesn't affect that statement. Stop projecting how you feel on me, your irrelevant and random tangents might remind you of Astrocreep, but keep that to yourself.
Creation of Vision is irrelevant.. OK Astrocreep lmao

"Okay, so they are a terrorist organization, not all superhumans. So the Avengers are running around fighting terrorists. Good."]Okay, so they are a terrorist organization, not all superhumans. So the Avengers are running around fighting terrorists. Good.
Aren't all bad guys terroists tho. You are painting with some pretty broad strokes. There is no evidence that the Avengers have gone against anyone but the organization known as Hydra.

In a universe with technology like the Iron Man suits, Falcon suits, Pym particples and super serums? You're putting way too much emphasis on evolution. The moment we can manipulate evolutionary systems to create Captain Americas or Winter Soldiers, is the moment being 'super human' is less of an extinction threat and more of an extinction based off of rapid change into a new species. Fearing super humans is logical, people would do that, but this is more about people with unlimited power have no oversight.
Tony has unlimited power? What......

Answer this, and be honest. You really don't believe a standard special forces team, with full support (Drones ect), could have pulled off bringing Cross Bones and his goons down? They could have, easily. Not to get into a Nerd argument, but a few snipers would have ended that fight a lot faster than the Avengers did. The reason the Avengers were there was almost solely about being able to act with impunity, rather than simply being 'the only ones who could take them down'.
Ridiculous statement. If Hydra is known for having Super Humans, I seriously doubt the US goverment would send out some drones, and snipers to stop them lol.

Although in this movie universe they sent out a Swat team to stop two Meta Humans.... So you're right they are retarded enough to fail constantly. Glad the US government is keeping us safe lol

Column_sl

shitlord
And luckily governments have checks and balances which makes it so Hydra has thus far not been able to get their hands on technology that can end the world (Technology which exists across many governments). The exception to this was Nazi Germany, run by a sociopath, mass murdering, mad man....And....The Avengers/Shield.

Goodcompany the Avengers are in; why would anyone be worried! (In Germany, obviously, Hydra gained power because the Tyrant, Hitler, allowed them to operate with minimal checks. Just like Shield and the Avengers are allowed to operate with minimal checks--Hydra grows when they are incubated in organizations that are not transparent and not answerable to others. You're kind of making my argument for me here.)
Hydra had Loki's staff, and the Tesseract at one point the most powerful item in the universe.

..... and really they have much more then that if you want to add everything they have from the Shield TV series which is part of this continuity, including a gateway to another world where an Inhuman god lives...

Every single organization on the globe has been infiltrated by Hydra, and this is the same people you want monitoring the Avengers , lol.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I was saying this to my wife the other day. Starting in IM3, he started getting weak. A truck hit him and his armor fell off. This is a guy who went toe to toe with Hulk and Thor and lived. In Cap 3, Cap actually beat him. I love Cap, but in the comic, Cap was unable to scratch Iron Man's armor, until someone gave him an EMP device tailored to neutralize Tony's armor. In the movie, Cap owned Tony in the final fight. So they've moved Tony down in power, and every movie since Cap 1, they've made him more and more powerful.
Well, to be fair, Cap is A LOT stronger in the MCU than the comics. Almost everyone is. Bro held down a helicopter, that's near spider man level strength. Meanwhile, Iron Man is significantly weaker, as is Thor and even Hulk. There is certainly a hierarchy, with Thor and Hulk on top, but it's pretty clear they wanted to homogenize everyone's levels somewhat.

If you think about it, in the MCU, iron mans feats are no where near 100 tons. He's more around Spider Man's strength. While Cap is weaker, it's more like 50% vs 95% weaker like it would be in the comics. And it's the same on down the line, with Iron Man still being 'ballpark' with Thor, where in the comics he's not.

Hyrda had Loki's staff ..... and really they have much more then that if you want to add everything they have from the Shield TV series which is part of this continuity, including a gateway to another world where an Inhuman god lives...
Yeah, and with that, they chose to manipulate organizations that gave them the best chance of growing without being caught, IE highly clandestine organizations with little oversight. If you're an organization fighting gods, having the defenses (Checks/oversight) most other human organizations realized they needed again other humans? Seems reasonable.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Btw, something in the film, did anyone notice how many times they had War Machine use his Sonic Blast? Think they are setting up a war machine cross over for Spider Man at some point with Venom? Just made me remember the old Spider Man cartoon, when War Machine showed up, Spider Man asked for his help because he had those cannons.

Column_sl

shitlord
Yeah, and with that, they chose to manipulate organizations that gave them the best chance of growing without being caught, IE highly clandestine organizations with little oversight. If you're an organization fighting gods, having the defenses (Checks/oversight) most other human organizations realized they needed again other humans? Seems reasonable.
Uhhh what.. I have to think you don't even watch these films. Hydra infiltrated Shield that had massive checks ,and balances. A whole independent world council oversaw them, and even they were infected at its highest level.

Hydra is everywhere even the Senator that was making legislation on super powered individuals was Hydra.

Cybsled

Now Hydra is pretty much dead. Even on Agents of SHIELD, they have been all but wiped out (thanks to Hive).