Captain Marvel (2019)

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Wait , I'm confused as to which of you is the villain now. Are you his Eobard Thawne or somesuch?
As if I would rate as such a garbage tier villain or him such a garbage hero.

We both switch parts and it's more like a Magneto/Xavier situation. Like most good comic tales, It's complicated.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
and this is where the SJW bullshit comes full circle back to this bitch
Ocean's 8 stars blame dominance of male critics for film's mixed reviews
Mindy Kaling and Cate Blanchett echo Brie Larson in calling for greater diversity among reviewers

Co-star Cate Blanchett concurred, saying the media had failed to make the mindshift the movie industry had when it came to gender equality. “The conversation has to change,” she said, “and the media has a huge responsibility.”
This bitch just had a starring role as top THREE villians(male/female) as fucking Hela in Thor, and RT gave it a 92%

Brie Larson, who won an Oscar for her role in kidnap drama Room, announced an initiative by the Sundance and Toronto film festivals to allocate 20% of their journalist passes to critics from under represented groups.
She flagged the box office flop of A Wrinkle in Time, Ava DuVernay’s fantasy drama based on novel by Madeleine L’Engle, as a victim of the lack of critical comprehension.

No, when you make a shitty movie, it's just a shitty movie, but no, now they just want to pre-seed for favorable reviews. JFC it's like they know a vag won't give a vag movie a bad review.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

This bitch just had a starring role as top THREE villians(male/female) as fucking Hela in Thor, and RT gave it a 92%

No, when you make a shitty movie, it's just a shitty movie, but no, now they just want to pre-seed for favorable reviews. JFC it's like they know a vag won't give a vag movie a bad review.

What if they don't even believe the schtick themselves, but are setting up their excuse for if the movie sucks and does poorly? It's an effective cop out in 2018.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
All I know is if I cared about what actors/entertainers say and do in their personal lives I'd probably never be able to enjoy another movie or TV show. I really don't give a shit what Brie Larson said on her soap box at some event. She did not write, direct or produce the movie. She just acted out her part in the script.

• 6Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I saw Ocean's 8 and it's confirmed shit. No action, no violence, no sex, no nudity, no swearing, and the "drama" of the heist itself is an implausible snooze fest.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Disney has a do not touch policy with the MCU other then I am assuming nothing R rated (which Fiege doesn't want to do anyways). Star Wars has a Kathleen Kennedy problem, not a Disney problem, Fiege actually knows what he is doing.

This will be better then you expect since it will be in the Space set of MCU movies like Ragnarok or Guardians, plus it will have Ronan and Korath in it more then GoTG did which should flesh them out properly. Plus more Kree which I am a fan of. I expect it will be a B+ / A- Marvel movie which is all its needs to be as a character introduction. She isn't boring as shit like Black Panther so he likability shouldn't be an issue plus Brie Larson is reason enough to go look at in tight spandex uniform.

Hans Zimmer's protege is doing the score for this, should be quality

“I cannot promise that all 20 Marvel movies will have female directors but a heck of a lot of them will,” he said, evoking major applause. Feige told the audience that “Black Panther,” which has grossed over $1.3 billion worldwide to date, was particularly crucial in terms of breaking precedent with a black director in Ryan Coogler and stars, led by Chadwick Boseman. “We had to make that movie to destroy a myth that black movies don’t succeed around the world,” he said. “Unconscious bias is a real thing.”

“Diversity is something that’s necessary to be able to continue to tell stories,” he noted. “There were a couple of ‘Black Panther’ meetings where I looked around the table and no one looked like me. And it was great.”

“In the movies we’ve already made, and certainly in the movies that are coming up, it will be as inclusive a group of characters as one could want. For us, it’s important that we don’t feel like a completely white, European cast.”

Khane Khane I think you guys are misunderstanding what I'm working off of because I don't actually discuss these things in depth in movie threads if I can help it (A couple paragraphs explaining my field of study in school and how I know what I know--why this stuff interests me. Don't need to read it, but it will I hope give some perspective on why I view this stuff differently than perhaps most of you do.)

But let me explain my perspective, since what I studied was partly to do with innovation and market diffusion of ideas (If you want to read about it, Zaltman has a lot of literature on it). But we've known for a while know a few basic facts. 1.) People will typically hold the ideas they believe those around them hold. (Important, BELIEF, not knowledge of). 2.) People who proselytize ideas can create "tipping points" where a minority can force a majority to adopt new ideas. This number is somewhere between 10-25% of a population--that's all it takes. If you are around people who constantly push their values, and they are 25% of the population, there is often zero chance you will hold onto your ideals unless there is another active group opposing them (The other active group makes it so its more difficult to believe everyone holds the same views.) This is why its so concerning that SJWs rabidly no platform and censor their opponents.

But any case, back to Zaltman--one thing that also holds true in this is that high profile individuals hold more sway. However, eventually they will be compromised if they can excuse the shift heuristically through any success. That success? Black Panther. It's not surprising to me at all to see Fiege happy to finally profess loyalty to the ideas after BP...He's probably been under tremendous mental pressure thanks to his social environment having just a shit ton of these ideologues who are very vocal. One of the effects of a high status individuals acknowledging the new value and succeeding with it, is a kind of exponential effect (Since it emboldens the vocal ideologues and allows people to kind of "save" that heuristic that these ideas can be successful).

That's why I think like I do..It's not one actress saying stuff. If I gave weight to what these Hollywood assholes say, I'd think every movie was going to be dog shit, in MOST cases its empty virtue signaling. When I sit up and take notice is when the BOSSES begin saying this, COMBINED with the actors and directors under them pushing it. And that's the issue, its Fiege saying this shit, combined with his acknowledgment that these ideas are successful (Black Panther--which again, causes a massive heuristic adjustment) AND the fact that all the talent around him is going to be openly, vocally pushing him in this direction. I wish it was just this idiot, but its not.

And Fiege is going full hog into this. As he announced the other day.

(Captain Marvel) “the new face and leader of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.”

He's also pushing Kamala Khan (Despite this character being very new in the Comics.)

In the end, I don't think diversity automatically makes a movie bad. Which is why I said I HOPE Fiege can do what he did with BP, balance his new ideology with merit still (Ryan Coogler is a ridiculous Ideologue, but he's also got talent. He's not using his ideology to cover for weakness, like Ava DuVernay did with Wrinkle). However, the big issue is his wording in his recent interviews. "Unconscious bias is real"--that is essentially this excuse to turn your brain off and use the heuristics this ideology teaches (My white male brain is only thinking people are hacks due to bias, I need to ignore evidence and go with diversity!) Its the equivalent of Christians saying "God has a plan", which usually precedes them doing something stupid on "faith". When someone professes huge talking points of this cult, and then says that? It sets off my alarm bells.

Just so you guys understand, I hold back a lot, and I read more in depth than a single idiots acceptance speech. Typically I'm just giving you guys the highlights. The fact that these threads are still deluged (With or without me) is indicative of how much this ideology is affecting things--it's not indicative of some counter-ideology that's "just as bad". That all said, again, I'm hoping Fiege balances this. Because diversity doesn't have to be "bad"--as long as its merit based. I'm just worried it might not be given things both Fiege and those around him have begun to say.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I saw Ocean's 8 and it's confirmed shit. No action, no violence, no sex, no nudity, no swearing, and the "drama" of the heist itself is an implausible snooze fest.

Much like Black Panther this movie is insulting to its core audience but they’re expected to cheer. In this case you have a remake that was done to death. Now that they’re done the women get the sloppy seconds?

Seriously? Of course it’s going to be a shit movie. It’s like doing another Ghostbusters all these years later but casting women instead. Oh wait...

It’s not drama or even art. It’s a demographic based cash grab.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
And the second they admit it's demographic based cash grab all of that uppity salt being throw at innocent critics who are (ironically) doing their job and calling it trash will shift immediately to the studio, director, writer, even the actresses themselves. Easier to point the finger over there, direct deposit the paycheck, and hope the next remake that comes around doesn't suck.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I just hope it's good. Avengers cleansed my pallet fairly well after the rhino dump Black Panther left in my mouth. I can pretty well assume Ant Man 2 will be good, or at least fun, and not offensive or pushing some "diversity" agenda (not heavily, at least, I'm sure it'll have some woman power shit with Wasp, but I'm guessing it'll fit the story).

Other than that, I know jack and shit about Miss Marvel other than having the same name as a version of the Huntress, and last names of Supergirl/Powergirl. Thus, I have zero expectations and unfortunately may miss some of the subtle hidden comic character background stuff that they've had in every other film so far.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I am hopeful that talk by people like Feige and others around these topics is more them just saying what they need to say to avoid outrage. True, Feige himself might be out soon just because he's tired of all the time it takes (and the swimming pool full of money I assume he has), and someone that truly believes all the SJW bullshit might move in. But, if that really does happen, if they really do push too far in that direction with the next several phases, one Black Panther outlier isn't going to be enough to skew all of the numbers for very long at all. Maybe it will take several years of them doing shit numbers again for it to sink in, and we as fans will suffer for it as well, but it shouldn't be hard for Disney of the future to eventually look back and realize that the reason their newer movies are failing hard is because they are pushing agendas instead of just telling great stories with great effects. I don't care how amazing and relevant and well-liked critics seem to think Kamala Khan and Miles Morales and Weave Iron-Girl and Chick Thor are in the comics (I don't have any numbers but I know every SJW replacement that isn't them is pretty universally panned and sells for shit), they are going to have to do a LOT better than the crapfest that was called Black Panther for people to continue the sort of numbers Marvel has been getting the past few years. Black Panther is an aberration, plain and simple, and we all know why.

Now, you can make a comparison and say that hardly anyone outside of comic nerds knew who Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc. were, so the argument that someone like Khamala Khan could be just as popular as Carol Danvers is somewhat valid. Except when you factor in that the vast majority of SJW-replacements would be replacing already established MCU characters. You don't just replace Chris Hemsworth with Natalie Portman and expect people to be ok with it. Sure they were all little-known characters at one time, but now they are world-renowned, and you don't just get to pop in a female and bam, it works just as well. Ghostbusters and Oceans 8 are perfect illustrations of that.

Honestly, Danvers/Khan was the place where they *could* have done it, because it was a new character that most people had no idea about before her movie. You would have pissed off a lot of old fans like myself, who thought Carol Danvers was a great character, but we're honestly a very small number compared to the millions that go see these movies just because they have MCU attached to them now. But you go and start trying to replace the beloved characters the MCU has already made into giants in our minds, and even those "MCU-lite" fans are going to get a little irked and stop going. I'm betting Black Panther-effect only happens once.

I am hopeful that even the Star Wars shit is providing the necessary cautionary tale when the execs start thinking about the upcoming MCU phases, particularly if Feige steps down, because much as everyone loves to virtue signal, I guarantee they all like money a lot more. So until they start announcing actual bullshit, I'll continue to be hopeful. And while I would classify Black Panther as the first step of that bullshit, I will keep the faith that it will mostly be confined to that franchise and the rest of the MCU can continue on in relative awesomeness. Either way, there is literally nothing we can do about it right now, as Twatting about it from our side will just get drowned out by the blue-hairs. The only thing we can do, if the day comes, is stop paying to see them, and waiting until that sinks in with the execs. Like, hopefully, is happening right now with Star Wars.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Saying Captain America and Thor weren't well known is some capital offense bullshit. GotG, sure. Iron Man, eeh, sure, but even my sister who had never read a comic before wanted to see Captain America when that came out, and Thor is a mythological God that folks knew of even if not specifically the comic book version.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
In the end, I don't think diversity automatically makes a movie bad.
as someone in the "diverse" category, yes diversity 100% makes a movie bad, the only time i was wrong was the beginning(NOT THE WHOLE MOVIE) of xmen DOFP, i was like oh god, they brought in all the minority xmen: warpath, sunspot, bishop and they had the gall to make one of fav xmen-ish characters BLink!, Chinese (her name is clarice ferguson, geez). But it worked.
It worked so well, i was bored watching wolverine bring the white crew back together again to fight more white villians.

aside from that? naw, it's worse if it's a drama, why? cuz the writer is a white guy, writing ethnic parts.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider

It's fair to call it a dumb reason to claim a movie got bad reviews, but it's not fair to pretend like this is some kind of new thing only inspired by one group of people in a movement. People have been making up really shit excuses for why their movie / game / show / book / art / food / penis / blog / boobs / bar / whatever didn't succeed or got bad reviews since fucking forever. This is no different except that people seem to be taking it seriously instead of rolling their eyes like they always did.

• 1Like

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
All I know is if I cared about what actors/entertainers say and do in their personal lives I'd probably never be able to enjoy another movie or TV show. I really don't give a shit what Brie Larson said on her soap box at some event. She did not write, direct or produce the movie. She just acted out her part in the script.
So what you are saying is you care about the personal lives of the writers, directors and producers?

I got lots of personal tales to tell you about. $4.99 a minute.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Well no, I don't care about them either. But if the argument was raised about a writer rather than an actor it would hold more merit. I guess luckily for us writers don't publicize their personal lives as much.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It's fair to call it a dumb reason to claim a movie got bad reviews, but it's not fair to pretend like this is some kind of new thing only inspired by one group of people in a movement. People have been making up really shit excuses for why their movie / game / show / book / art / food / penis / blog / boobs / bar / whatever didn't succeed or got bad reviews since fucking forever. This is no different except that people seem to be taking it seriously instead of rolling their eyes like they always did.
they thought they had 8 pussypasses,

they just think that, since they have magic vags, everyone should love it, naw

Fedor

<Banned>
722ojqev5u711.png

• 7Picard
  • 1WTF
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 8 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I am going from indifference to active dislike of this woman.

• 10Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 10 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
This movie will be SJW trash.

• 1Solidarity