Car accident and repair questions.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Hey guys.

So yesterday on the way home I got involved in a hit and run. A driver slammed into my driver door, basically he turned into my lane and hit me squarely on the drivers door, damaging the drivers door and the left rear door as well. Now I have some water leaks.

So since the other driver ran, I chased him and took a picture of the tag. He also slammed into another car, trying to escape. He or she got away, we didn't got a vsual on him.
Since the area and the place the guy lives is the gettho, there is a good chance he has no insurance or even claim the car was stolen. The last one is the more likely scenario.

So question, anyone has an idea of how much it will cost to fix it? Is it worth it since I don't have collision insurance, I will end up paying everything.

The car is a 2005 Toyota Corolla le. The blue book is around 3-4k I'm guessing. I purchased it in 2004 so I got my money's worth since I paid it on 4 years. Should just get a new car?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sounds like you should just get a new car. That much body work on an older car is not going to be worth it in both short term and long term. It's already low trade in with a new accident attached to it is going to destroy the value.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
With no pics I could tell you it'll be $5,000 if having a meaningless answer makes you feel better?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
A 2005 toyota is not going to be worth 3-4k blue book.

Think more like 3-400 blue book. Especially if its over 100k miles.

Time to get a new car bro.

Total it out and use what you get towards the down payment on the new vehicle. Try to buy a year or two old "used" with under 35k miles, preferably a car that was leased and or a rental type vehicle. Tend to get good deals that way, I've found.

Always check the carfax too.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
A 2005 toyota is not going to be worth 3-4k blue book.

Think more like 3-400 blue book. Especially if its over 100k miles.

Time to get a new car bro.

Total it out and use what you get towards the down payment on the new vehicle. Try to buy a year or two old "used" with under 35k miles, preferably a car that was leased and or a rental type vehicle. Tend to get good deals that way, I've found.

Always check the carfax too.
Actually, the low end blue book on a 2005 corolla in fair condition (fair being the lowest condition you can put in) is 4k. Still may not be worth the trouble of repairing the car though.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I'm actually shocked they hold value that well.

Usually once they're 10-12 years old and over 100k miles they aren't worth squat, especially the smaller cars.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
It's American cars that do not hold their value. Fucking Honda's have outrageous resale values.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Car picture.
As u can see it got nail exactly on the middle of the door.
rrr_img_104109.jpg

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
We have fallen far, brothers.
It's been that way for a while. My 2007 Mazda is still listed at about half the value I paid when it was brand new. Honda and Toyota depreciate the same way. Aside of a set of brake pads and tires, the only work I ever had to do on it has been two wheel bearings. My girlfriend drives a chevy from the same year with similar mileage (now worth 25% of brand new price) and I have to fix something on the damn thing every other month. Not going to deny it's anecdotal evidence but it's also a common trend that drives the resale value.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
No, I believe you. I haven't traded a car in in awhile, and it was a Chevy and we got shit all for it because it had like 125k miles on it and was like 12 years old at the time.

My current car is a Honda.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I'd get it looked at by a body shop to get an estimate, if no frame damage you can probably find a replacement door on craigslist/online or at a junk shop for not too much money.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I don't understand why people don't carry collision. It's not much more.

The rocker looks damaged but if the frame is okay you could probably slap a door on it and be fine.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
To be honest, i can live with bottom damage, water will not come up that way, unless someone drives the car into a canal.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I don't understand why people don't carry collision. It's not much more.
Now i know better. Funny thing is that i do have collision on the other car on the policy a lexus rx, and is only 200 more month per year.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Assuming you could bang out the body damage underneath the door, with a new door and some color matched paint, you could probably get at least the fair condition blue book price. Pretty sure swapping the drivers side window would be a bigger pain in the ass than swapping the door itself.

If you can't match the color on the door (and on the cosmetic repairs to the rear door) you'd take a pretty massive hit to the value of the car.