Car Buying Help

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Overpriced yes, but it was totally unique in the sense that there were (are) no small sedans with that much muscle and interior/exterior style. Plus it came in manual. The 3 series is a boat in comparison, and so is the S4. The closest thing available today is maybe an S3. Usually small sedans are cheap all around, the 1M was the exception.
Its still like 3300-3400lbs, it's not like its light in any way. Wheelbase is within 3-4 inches of the E92 3-series.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Overpriced yes, but it was totally unique in the sense that there were (are) no small sedans with that much muscle and interior/exterior style. Plus it came in manual. The 3 series is a boat in comparison, and so is the S4. The closest thing available today is maybe an S3. Usually small sedans are cheap all around, the 1M was the exception.
isn't the M1 a coupe?

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
what price should i target for that 135i? the KBB gives an est. range of like $29.5K to $32K but that's never reliable. i think i'd be comfortable if i could get it between 26 and 27

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Its still like 3300-3400lbs, it's not like its light in any way. Wheelbase is within 3-4 inches of the E92 3-series.
All I can say is drive a 335 coupe and a 135 and they handle entirely differently. The 335 feels like a barge in comparison. But TBH, I've always had an affinity for small, tight handling cars. Probably one of my favorite rides ever was my 2002 Civic Si-R that came with the stick in the dash.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
All I can say is drive a 335 coupe and a 135 and they handle entirely differently. The 335 feels like a barge in comparison. But TBH, I've always had an affinity for small, tight handling cars. Probably one of my favorite rides ever was my 2002 Civic Si-R that came with the stick in the dash.
135 has somewhat quicker steering than 335, moreso if it had the active steering option. People always rant and rave about the M3 handling vs. the 335 when the chassis is exactly the same because the 335 has 16:1 steering ratio vs 12.5:1 for the M3. So the M3 steering feels extremely quick and direct.

Doesn't affect the speed or anything else just the feel. 135 has 15.3:1 and quicker with active steering.

FYI the suspension and chassis are like 99% the same between the 1 series and 3 series. All the suspension is interchangeable.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I'll disclaimer this all with the fact that I'm not enough of a car buff to be familiar with all the technical stats, so you're probably on point. When I did my test drives the biggest thing I noticed was body sway. When I'd turn in the 335 it just felt like the whole car "rolled". The 1 series just felt tighter. I *hated* my 3 series coupe. The thing rattled, squeaked, and turned like a pregnant donkey. For whatever reason, the 3 series sedan felt tighter in turns vs the coupe. Again, this is all subjective layman *feelz* of how it handled.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
All 1 series are 2-doors
Nope. 2, 4 and 6 series are the coupes. Basically even numbers are coupes for BMW, while it's odd numbers for Audi.

However, when that M1 or 135M or whatever was out, it may have been before they made the change to split the 2 and 4 series from the 1 and 3 series. That was only in the last couple years, I believe.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Nope. 2, 4 and 6 series are the coupes. Basically even numbers are coupes for BMW, while it's odd numbers for Audi.

However, when that M1 or 135M or whatever was out, it may have been before they made the change to split the 2 and 4 series from the 1 and 3 series. That was only in the last couple years, I believe.
Yes, it was before they redid the numbering.

Also the M1 was the historic MR coupe sports/race car from the late 70's so they had to use 1M for the moniker because of that.

RE: body roll on the 335 vs 135, it's barely wider track width and just a larger car. I can imagine the CG is a bit higher. Also the 335 is still a 'street' vehicle so the suspension is going to be softer = less supports/body stiffness added and more give in the suspension. All that can be fixed to some degree, though.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
New M2 should be rolling out soon as well which should make m235i used prices more reasonable too.
I'm cautiously optimistic. I will seriously consider an M2, I just couldn't stand dropping the cash on the pretend "m"235i, the damn thing has LSD as a DEALER INSTALLED OPTION. Wtf, BMW.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I'm cautiously optimistic. I will seriously consider an M2, I just couldn't stand dropping the cash on the pretend "m"235i, the damn thing has LSD as a DEALER INSTALLED OPTION. Wtf, BMW.
Ha I've got the dealer calling me when they take Delivery myself - price point will be interesting

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Bleh, just saw the SEMA photos and some specs and now I'm not quite as thrilled but I'll still check one out.

First, I'm still not in love with the current gen design language. Can't beat the late E46 and the E90.

Second, can someone just fucking steal the Audi S D-wheel finally? Christ.

Third, 4.2s 0-60 with 365HP and a DCT can only mean this thing is likely a depleted uranium turd compared to the M3/4.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
how difficult will it be trying to maintain a clean look with that metallic carbon black paint job?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Value? No. It's newer and higher up in the depreciation curve. Sweet spot for used cars is usually 3-4 years. Own them for 2 years or so and ditch them. You usually lose very little $.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Also the M1 was the historic MR coupe sports/race car from the late 70's so they had to use 1M for the moniker because of that.
Yeah, I misspoke. I know exactly what an M1 is, as I pull in behind one every morning at the office. Bro found one at an auction somewhere in the US a few years ago. Fucking thing is worth triple what he paid for it now. He's trying to decide whether he cashes it in or not. Classic/unique car prices have been skyrocketing the past 5 years, it's kind of ridiculous. They're almost like an alternative asset these days like art.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I misspoke. I know exactly what an M1 is, as I pull in behind one every morning at the office. Bro found one at an auction somewhere in the US a few years ago. Fucking thing is worth triple what he paid for it now. He's trying to decide whether he cashes it in or not. Classic/unique car prices have been skyrocketing the past 5 years, it's kind of ridiculous. They're almost like an alternative asset these days like art.
No shit man, invest $200k in 993 porsches 5 years ago and you'd probably have a 300% rate of return even if you just parked them in a garage and let them rot. And generally, those things are pieces of shit. People just like the classics these days.