Car Buying Help

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
So, a bit of an oddball that I'm not 100% certain on how to handle...

In November I bought a car from a used lot, from a guy my father has purchased multiple vehicles from with great success/ease/etc.

Anyhow, the car is great, runs fine, got a solid warranty, low interest rate, payments are only $266/month, all is fantastic and I couldn't be happier with the car..

Well, at the beginning of February I get a letter in the mail from the lien holder that they've noticed during a recent audit of my account(mind you this is a full 2 months after buying the car)that they still need the title to the car and if I don't have it mailed to them within 30 days, they may possibly turn my account over to collections(United Federal Credit Union, btw). So, I call the credit union a week later(work has been slammed and I honestly spaced it)and ask them if they've received the title in the meantime. They tell me that they haven't and that they put out a call to the dealer, who said he'd look into it.

So, I go ahead and give the dealer/the guy I bought the car from a call and he tells me that the credit union should've received the title from the DMV, it sounds like the bank fucked up, and he'd try to reach out to DMV, but there isn't much else he can do on his end.

My question is, what is my next course of action here? It really sounds to me like the credit union fucked up, lost the title, and is trying to claim they just now noticed it during an "audit". Shouldn't they have noticed it right away? Not some two months after purchase? Secondly, technically the credit union are the owners of said vehicle(until I pay off the loan), so why the fuck am I being expected to do the legwork of tracking down the title? If I had the title, why the fuck would I be paying them monthly?

Now, I guess there is also the possibility that the guy who sold me the car is up to some sort of fuckery, but being as my father has purchased 3 vehicles through him with no issues whatsoever, I find that somewhat difficult to believe.

Any advice?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think the car dealership will have to go to the DMV and request a duplicate title? I guess maybe the CU could do it too, I'm not sure how that works but it should be available from them.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Fiance rear ended someone hard enough that the driver's airbag deployed but the car was still drive-able. The front grill and bumper were smashed and it was leaking radiator fluid but I thought it was likely fixable but the insurance adjuster has totaled the car.

Any advice on what to do now? I'm hoping their offer at least covers what is owed on the loan (it was a 2015).

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
What kind of car and how much is outstanding? I guess you could argue the ACV if you feel it isn't fair.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fiance rear ended someone hard enough that the driver's airbag deployed but the car was still drive-able. The front grill and bumper were smashed and it was leaking radiator fluid but I thought it was likely fixable but the insurance adjuster has totaled the car.

Any advice on what to do now? I'm hoping their offer at least covers what is owed on the loan (it was a 2015).

Always get gap coverage, if you aren't leasing or didn't buy a car outright. Then, you don't have to worry about this.

If the adjuster "totaled" the car, you might have a tough uphill battle. They know the calculations based on paying for a fix or paying for the car then auctioning or scrapping.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think it's pretty standard to total out the car if the airbag went off. If it got hit that hard the frame is likely bent and who knows what else.

Vinen

God is dead
I think it's pretty standard to total out the car if the airbag went off. If it got hit that hard the frame is likely bent and who knows what else.

Yep. Also modern cars are built with a few VERY large pieces. So if one area of the frame is busted you are looking at a large amount of work to rebuild it.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Is this the current car buying thread?

Looking at moving out of my Mazda 6 sedan in to something a little more versatile as we're doing lake / river trips, going out to deer camps, and some camping. Nothing crazy off road, but it'd be nice to have something 4x4 that can take a kayak, or some bikes, etc... Probably look at something used, 2014,15,16 depending on what it was. My issue is that I've only ever owned a sedan and don't know what is out there in the Jeep, 4 Runner, Subaru, whatever realm.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
all i can help you w/ is that i've group the toyota and subaru suvs as
crosstrek vs. rav4
forrester vs. highlander
outback vs. 4runner

personally i'd consider the smaller suvs so crosstrek or rav4 would be for me, we have an old ass 2002 civic and a 2012 imprezza and the impreza sucks mpg compared to the civic, and it's gonna be even worse going to a suv, if you haven't considered that.

if price is an issue, subarus hold their value more so similarly used crosstrek(these are new so not many used, btw) vs. rav4, subbie will be 10-20% more.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, driving my friend's Crosstrek around last summer is what got me thinking. When we were hitting float trips and the lake. But I can't buy the same car as her, that'd be strange. Was considering going the Grand Cherokee route but after looking back through this thread and the previous 2013 thread today there seemed to be a ton of negative things. Will look at the other ones you listed.

Thanks

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Grand Cherokee is the worst decision you can make. In fact anything Chrysler, jeep, and doge is the worst decision you can make

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Yeah, driving my friend's Crosstrek around last summer is what got me thinking. When we were hitting float trips and the lake. But I can't buy the same car as her, that'd be strange. Was considering going the Grand Cherokee route but after looking back through this thread and the previous 2013 thread today there seemed to be a ton of negative things. Will look at the other ones you listed.

Thanks
autotempest dot com if you haven't started looking already, since you said you wanted used.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My brother's wife has the Crosstrek (I think that's the Subaru right?) And it's incredible. They hike every weekend (new Hampshire white mountains mostly, but also katahdin in Maine) and are very outdoorsy. It's very nice for that. He drives a flashy $40k wrx so can't take it anywhere. They swear by Subaru

Any recommendations on best full size suvs? Was looking at pilots but willing to branch out. Trying to stay Japanese if possible.

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
Toyota Highlander better for full size SUV. Kia coming out with 2020 Telluride in a couple month (it's epic) and Hyundai coming out with presade or something but that's into Q4. Obviously Chevrolet has some full size SUV like traverse or Acadia but it's domestic so it's probably not as good.

Still Chevrolet has some nice interior and exterior designs and feels pretty good. Odd thing about domestic is that some parts are from cheaper version of smaller or lower trim car so it feels disjointed sometimes.

Nissan offers a full size SUV called armada but you might as well as buy a Infiniti qx80 at that price tag...

I wouldn't want to buy a Honda pilot mainly because prices are higher and their reliability aren't as good as it used to be. Toyota parts are getting cheaper and less valuable but still astonishing in resale and reliability.

Fiat dodge ram offers er...Durango....and it's Durango ...and they fucking blow in every way possible and I don't know why people buy this shit truck...

Other option is looking at midsize-full size like pathfinder, Sorento, santa fe xl which offers 7 passenger V6 options and probably 10000-20000 cheaper than pilot or highlander.

Last edited:

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Sold my zj Jeep a few years ago. Regret the hell out of it.

Need something similar. Don't want to get another zj because I'd always wish it was my old one.

Something that can do off-road stuff. Old enough it's cheap, popular enough parts are common, and upgradeable to do ignorant shit in the mud.

Thinking the really 2000s line of GMC SUVs?

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
My brother's wife has the Crosstrek (I think that's the Subaru right?) And it's incredible. They hike every weekend (new Hampshire white mountains mostly, but also katahdin in Maine) and are very outdoorsy. It's very nice for that. He drives a flashy $40k wrx so can't take it anywhere. They swear by Subaru

Any recommendations on best full size suvs? Was looking at pilots but willing to branch out. Trying to stay Japanese if possible.
Sold my zj Jeep a few years ago. Regret the hell out of it.

Need something similar. Don't want to get another zj because I'd always wish it was my old one.

Something that can do off-road stuff. Old enough it's cheap, popular enough parts are common, and upgradeable to do ignorant shit in the mud.

Thinking the really 2000s line of GMC SUVs?

low mileage FJ Cruiser?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Toyota Highlander better for full size SUV. Kia coming out with 2020 Telluride in a couple month (it's epic) and Hyundai coming out with presade or something but that's into Q4. Obviously Chevrolet has some full size SUV like traverse or Acadia but it's domestic so it's probably not as good.

Still Chevrolet has some nice interior and exterior designs and feels pretty good. Odd thing about domestic is that some parts are from cheaper version of smaller or lower trim car so it feels disjointed sometimes.

Nissan offers a full size SUV called armada but you might as well as buy a Infiniti qx80 at that price tag...

I wouldn't want to buy a Honda pilot mainly because prices are higher and their reliability aren't as good as it used to be. Toyota parts are getting cheaper and less valuable but still astonishing in resale and reliability.

Fiat dodge ram offers er...Durango....and it's Durango ...and they fucking blow in every way possible and I don't know why people buy this shit truck...

Other option is looking at midsize-full size like pathfinder, Sorento, santa fe xl which offers 7 passenger V6 options and probably 10000-20000 cheaper than pilot or highlander.
The lease on the pilots were nice. Like 199/month with 5k down. My wife barely drives but she has 2 kids (and a 3rd soon) so she needs something big. She will not drive a minivan even though it's realistically the best choice. Thanks for the info though I'll look these up.

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
The lease on the pilots were nice. Like 199/month with 5k down. My wife barely drives but she has 2 kids (and a 3rd soon) so she needs something big. She will not drive a minivan even though it's realistically the best choice. Thanks for the info though I'll look these up.
If you are leasing your best bet is either Toyota or Honda. Since it's lease, probably reliability isn't as important as monthly payments.