Car Buying Help

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Well, it's a generalization of course but yeah, it's definitely a very materialistic city. Attractive women here are definitely used to getting the Princess Treatment and dudes certainly do everything they can to try and project the appearance of wealth. Uptown is filled with the $40,000 millionaire types that live in a studio apartment and either drive a BMW or King Ranch pickup.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
You left off ability to mount a grill guard. Llano county in the hill country has the most deer to vehicle colissions per county in the entire country. I swear to god after season 1/2 get on one side, and 1/2 get on the other side of the road. Then they run across and swap stories of who made it thru season only to get killed by a vehicle.

Not unsual for me to see 50 deer a day on my <5 minute commute to work in the neighborhood alone.
A grill guard or cow catcher or whatever isn't going to do you a lick of good if that deer jumps or if you hit a taller animal like a moose. It's coming through your windshield whether you like it or not. I don't see how a grill guard protects the passengers in the slightest. It would only protect the front end of the truck itself. Unless I'm missing something.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
A grill guard or cow catcher or whatever isn't going to do you a lick of good if that deer jumps or if you hit a taller animal like a moose. It's coming through your windshield whether you like it or not. I don't see how a grill guard protects the passengers in the slightest. It would only protect the front end of the truck itself. Unless I'm missing something.
9 times out of ten those grill guards that people mount to their cars are purely cosmetic too, a couple small 10mm bolts through the fenders and front bumper is all that holds it on. I know I installed one on a land Rover last month that didn't fit quite right so I bent it by hand.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
But let's say you live in town. You hunt a dozen times a year, or go out to the woods/national forest or whatever. Need to haul plywood 4 times a year or whatever. What are you going to do? Rent a vehicle just to go hunting for the weekened, yeah right.

It's like people who only buy cars that are made to drive in really urban areas. What do you do if you want to go out of town, rent a car?
I don't hunt, I don't do anything involving plywood. My cars go out of town perfectly fine.
smile.png

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
My friend who lived in Ohio with me and is now in Washington has family in Texas. Dallas, specifically. He says he's never seen a community of people more concerned with their outward appearance of wealth and prosperity in his life. I don't know if it is true having never been to Dallas. I know he says his uncle is one of those guys who lives in a crappy studio apartment but purchased the huge ass truck because I guess it is something you are required to do.
He's the only one that thinks its something required to do. It's not. Hard for me to say now since I own all pretty damn nice cars but I drove a miata as a daily driver for several years, I tooled around in a conversion van for a while since I got it from my parents and didn't want to pay for anything at the time. It was fine. Nobody refused to serve me at restaurants, etc.

Dallas just has a very strong car culture due to there being no mass transit worth a shit here, so in that way it's similar to LA or Miami where the car culture and car-oriented nature of everything is super strong.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Deer in the hill country are like dogs. A lot of them weigh 80 pounds which is part of the reason they have the highest density in the US of deer.

I've hit several at once. You just cut the leg tendons with a pruner or a hacksaw and they fall right off and not a dent even in the grill guard. I take it off when I'm not going to be driving in the hill country much.

They are also handy for when I'm in the woods of East TX a lot. They're pretty handy for protecting the bumper corners in the front when trying to back up and turn in a tight situation. That's why you see a lot of trucks with a dent in the front quarter panel between the tire and the bumper, hit a tree turning around in the woods with/without a trailer.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
He's the only one that thinks its something required to do. It's not. Hard for me to say now since I own all pretty damn nice cars but I drove a miata as a daily driver for several years, I tooled around in a conversion van for a while since I got it from my parents and didn't want to pay for anything at the time. It was fine. Nobody refused to serve me at restaurants, etc.

Dallas just has a very strong car culture due to there being no mass transit worth a shit here, so in that way it's similar to LA or Miami where the car culture and car-oriented nature of everything is super strong.
So your neighbors wouldn't say anything amongst themselves if you traded in your Land Rover, E class Merc, or whatever for a Crown Victoria or beater pickup and parked it in your driveway?

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
So your neighbors wouldn't say anything amongst themselves if you traded in your Land Rover, E class Merc, or whatever for a Crown Victoria or beater pickup and parked it in your driveway?
Well one of my neighbors drives an old pickup. Another one drives like a 12-13 year old highlander. The single mom two doors down has like an old sentra. There's plenty of high end cars too but people drive what they drive, what do I give a shit? The single mom has a kid the same age as one of mine, I don't tell them to stay away from the plebs, they play all the time. Who cares? People make too big of a deal out of it.

Also most of my neighbors can't even see my cars because they are in the garage, unless they happen to be outside (in the alley) when I'm coming/going.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Well one of my neighbors drives an old pickup. Another one drives like a 12-13 year old highlander. The single mom two doors down has like an old sentra. There's plenty of high end cars too but people drive what they drive, what do I give a shit? The single mom has a kid the same age as one of mine, I don't tell them to stay away from the plebs, they play all the time. Who cares? People make too big of a deal out of it.

Also most of my neighbors can't even see my cars because they are in the garage, unless they happen to be outside (in the alley) when I'm coming/going.
Ahh, well I figured you lived on Bordeaux, Beverly drive, or similar. You can't even drive a beater down those streets without the Highland Park police tailing your ass.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Ahh, well I figured you lived on Bordeaux, Beverly drive, or similar. You can't even drive a beater down those streets without the Highland Park police tailing your ass.
Nah the name brand streets like Beverly you pay too much for the lot just to say you live on Beverly. I will say I live north or south of Beverly less than... 6-8 streets.
smile.png

And thats totally not true by the way. The number of contractors on Beverly in particular in their clapped out work cars is astounding. The residents are probably outnumbered 6 or 7 to 1.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Suggestions for a car that fits 3 children 2 kid seats and 1 baby rear facing? I'm trading in my Cadillac and the guy in me wants to stay sporty. Been looking at Suburu's and I'm not sure if the kids will sit comfortable. Price range is around 30kish prefer to go lower, due to newer house and budget. Android Auto would be a huge plus. Could use some advice.
I just got a 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L (AWD). Paid $37.5k out the door for mine, so a little higher than you are wanting, but we really like it so far. Ton of really cool safety features, such as the side-view lane camera and Honda Sense if you want it. Also has 3rd row seating that an actual adult can sit in, wouldn't want to do it for a long road trip, but anything under an hour or so is manageable. If you dropped down a couple of trim packages and/or went with a FWD version that might be closer to your price range. Depending on how big your 3rd child is, them in the third row plus your two car seats in the middle should fit everyone comfortably. The middle row slides back and forth which should allow you to get them in and out of the third row pretty easily but not quite as conveniently as a minivan.

Good long review on the Pilot plus other crossover options:The Best Large Crossover SUV | The Wirecutter

The 2016'sjustcame out, supply is low and because of the new body style demand is high so there aren't a lot of deals to be had on them right now, but because of that there are some great deals to be had on slightly used Pilot's. They are a little boxxy but still pretty roomy. I wanted to go that route but the wife fell in love with the new style and some of the new extra features. We also looked at and like the Toyota Highlanders (both new and slightly used), but not quite the same amount of space as the Pilots. We also drove but did not care for Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Durango, Nissan Pathfinder and Ford Explorer (all brand new versions) although admittedly we were pretty biased against the Fords after we basically couldn't give away our 2004 Explorer because everyone who read about them on the internet knew the transmission was bound to explode after 100,000 miles.

Jimmycarterwuwu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I just got a 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L (AWD). Paid $37.5k out the door for mine, so a little higher than you are wanting, but we really like it so far. Ton of really cool safety features, such as the side-view lane camera and Honda Sense if you want it. Also has 3rd row seating that an actual adult can sit in, wouldn't want to do it for a long road trip, but anything under an hour or so is manageable. If you dropped down a couple of trim packages and/or went with a FWD version that might be closer to your price range. Depending on how big your 3rd child is, them in the third row plus your two car seats in the middle should fit everyone comfortably. The middle row slides back and forth which should allow you to get them in and out of the third row pretty easily but not quite as conveniently as a minivan.

Good long review on the Pilot plus other crossover options:The Best Large Crossover SUV | The Wirecutter

The 2016'sjustcame out, supply is low and because of the new body style demand is high so there aren't a lot of deals to be had on them right now, but because of that there are some great deals to be had on slightly used Pilot's. They are a little boxxy but still pretty roomy. I wanted to go that route but the wife fell in love with the new style and some of the new extra features. We also looked at and like the Toyota Highlanders (both new and slightly used), but not quite the same amount of space as the Pilots. We also drove but did not care for Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Durango, Nissan Pathfinder and Ford Explorer (all brand new versions) although admittedly we were pretty biased against the Fords after we basically couldn't give away our 2004 Explorer because everyone who read about them on the internet knew the transmission was bound to explode after 100,000 miles.
Thanks I'll try one out, would be same payments if I did a straight trade with the Cadi, just hate giving it up.

Siliconemelons

All the 3rd row crossovers essentially look the same, Honda finally caved in with the new pilot.

Before I ended up with my Van I test drove every darn 3rd row crossover... 2 Kid seats and a rear facing baby thing... look at vans.. the sliding doors make live so much better, automatic sliding doors make it even more better! Yes it sucks your driving a man van around... but the stuff the van has at lower trim levels is worth it. I have DVD, Leather, auto doors etc. Usually in the 3rd row crossovers you have to get quite high in trim options to get the rear seat entertainment systems.

But you have your standard 3rd row crossovers - the Hyundai SantaFe (non sport) or Kia Sorrento - Nissan Pathfinder - Toyota Highlander - Dodge Durango - Honda Pilot - GM Triplets of Traverse/Arcadia/Enclave - Ford Explorer and Flex. Of all of those, barring personal preference etc. the best deal that I came to conclusion on was a Durango - and I was going to get one till I got the Nissan Quest for 10k off msrp. Dodge was just dealing more, the pathfinder just came out so they didn't budge as much as they did on the quest.

The biggest of those are the GM Triplets, as they are essentially vans with doors and they no longer offer a minivan- but they also give you a useable trunk with the 3rd row up, and a 3rd row anyone that's hit puberty can actually fit into for a short trip etc.

Kia just released their new Van and I am sure would be worth a look along with the standard Toyota, Honda and Nissan offerings - the Dodge Caravan and its Chrysler upper trim companion are just old imo and smaller than the main 3 offerings of van land.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Honestly, the best 3rd row vehicle I have used is the Land Rover LR4. It is quite expensive though and offers far more than the usual soccer mom would ever need. But the 2nd and 3rd rows fold absolutely flat and the 3rd row can actually sit two adults comfortably. Most of the shit crossovers can fit children only. Plus the LR4 has TONS of cavernous cargo space with its boxy design. I do fully admit the 50k+ price tag is way out of line though.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
For the money, you honestly can't beat the space and convenience of a Mini Van. I'm one of the people who has sworn that they will never own one, but my sister-in-law has a Honda Odyssey, and it's actually damn impressive.

We took it to tailgate in once. Fit 7 adults easily, plus all of our tailgating gear. A huge canopy tent, multiple coolers, a grill, etc. Has automatic sliding doors on both sides. The vast majority of SUVs have crap for storage space when you are using the 3rd row seats. The mini van had an impressive amount of storage behind the 3rd row. Almost as much storage as my Hyundai Santa Fe Sport that only has 2 rows of seats.

All of that for a ~$25-$35k mini van. You'd have to pay $50K or more for a SUV with that kind of space

Siliconemelons

To get usability in the rear cargo area with 3rd row up you have to go Mini Van or Large SUV - such as escalade, taho and the like rather than crossover - the only crossovers that really have decent room and decent back seat for adults are the GM Triplets as they literally are their mini van's restyled with doors instead of sliders- the GMC and Buick versions are really nice.. in fact the new/current gen Escalade was going to be a one also but the buick fits the lux role very nicely with the recent interior upgrades and refresh- so they kept the escalade a SUV as its been...and gave it really dumb looking brake lights.

And in general my exp with dealerships are... Ford - haggles well you can usually get close to invoice. GM - haggels eh.. but they tend to have the most "sales" and that's that. Honda - really depends on the dealer but you can find some that haggle well and can get close or below invoice. Toyota - advertised incentives and that's it, like Apple if you don't like their shiny poop, turn around and walk out. Nissan - in my neck of the woods I got 8k off my Murano, 10k off my Quest and 5k off my wife's used 2012 Rogue- so 1-4k below invoice depending on the situation and model you want. Kia/Hyundai - Haggle well to invoice/slight below.

Everything depends on current incentives and time of the month... start emailing online sales reps at the start/mid month- tell them you are in no hurry- get some half assed offers...wait till month end and suddenly start getting better offers from them- then you can play a dice roll.. sometimes, I think its date dependent, like if the end of the month is a Thursday, that weekends sales can count to the month that just ended- and on the 1st, 2nd etc. you will then get the OKAY OKAY emails! to your previously "insane" offers.

I.E. My wife's Rogue - I found 3 Rouges and 3 Mercedes GLK's - the GLKs where 2010-2011 ranging 40-45k mi while the Nissans where 2011-2012 ranging 30-35k mi - my target price for any of them was 20k OTD- it was last October, my loan finance was good till Oct 31st w/o reapply and every communication with dealers I informed them I was a serious buyer, I didn't want to play haggle games and here is my offer (20k OTD) its based on XYZ and the fact that...well that's my offer and to let me know. The Nissans where priced 23-25k and the GLK's where 25-28k there is a higher markup on the Mercedes's obviously. All 3 Mercedes's said I was crazy, 2 called back near the end of the month and both played the "come on and see it, lets make an apt, I have 2 other couples looking at it also" I told them again, I will buy it sight unseen 20k OTD - that's that. I bought the Rogue for 18.5 + extended warranty to make it 20kOTD it was a loaded SL, Leather, surround view cam etc. on the 28th. the 31st was a Friday, so that weekend they could count sales to oct if they needed to. on the 1st and 2nd I got calls from both GLK's saying they would take my offer- too late! and from test driving the wife likes the Nissan better /shrug :p

There are tons of cars, esp new... don't pay what you don't want to pay on whatever you choose. My motto is ANY advertised price, online, print, flyer, sign etc. has well enough profit % in there for them to still deal- my general target is invoice price OTD - Edmunds is a great resource and their True Market Value is a general "decent" deal - read their sales forums for actual posts of location/purchase price etc. of real people and you can see what the real prices are... and remember Leases can be negotiated- the price of your car has nothing to do with the finance option- haggle and price, then haggle the finance % and or lease terms.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Well there's 2 different things right... do you need 7 passenger "all the time" as in whenever you take your family somewhere? Or do you just need it now and then, like if your mother in law or nanny rides with you or you have one of your kids brat friends along with you.

If its the latter, an X5 or Highlander or LR4 or something like that is fine because "most of the time" you'll have the seats down and then there's plenty of room in the back. If you need 7 passenger all the time, it's either suburban or Yukon XL or maybe a Sequoia go minivan. That Infiniti QX80 is pretty big too. But those things are seriously like driving school buses and get like 10mpg in the city realistically. I'd probably drive a minivan before I bought a suburban.

Siliconemelons

Well there's 2 different things right... do you need 7 passenger "all the time" as in whenever you take your family somewhere? Or do you just need it now and then, like if your mother in law or nanny rides with you or you have one of your kids brat friends along with you.

If its the latter, an X5 or Highlander or LR4 or something like that is fine because "most of the time" you'll have the seats down and then there's plenty of room in the back. If you need 7 passenger all the time, it's either suburban or Yukon XL or maybe a Sequoia go minivan. That Infiniti QX80 is pretty big too. But those things are seriously like driving school buses and get like 10mpg in the city realistically. I'd probably drive a minivan before I bought a suburban.
True, he said 3 kids, 2 in seats... full car seats or boosters? and 1 rear facing child seat baby holder- those things take up SOO much room... then there is your standard child related crap that you are wondering around with, stroller - or strollers depending on age, at least 1 for the baby? those things take up the standard back room of your "mid/small" crossovers- or your 3rd row crossover back with 3rd row seat up. Do you actually want to have a place to put your groceries and or whatever you bought? don't think of going to ikea!

I am getting to where we don't have diaper bags as both kids are potty trained, the oldest (4) is in a high back booster and the 2.5 yr old is in a normal car seat that will soon be a booster as she is tall enough - we rarely take the stroller and when we do it is not the car seat system stroller, or double stroller but a small umbrella stroller- so we are starting to get out of the "ton of crap" phase of kids - but most people tell me once your out of all the baby/toddler crap hauling you then start hauling around sport/band/dance/ etc. crap... So I could go through the hassle of getting a nice 2 row crossover but most don't get THAT much more MPG than the van, and would not cost LESS to own...so really? why...? Maybe if my wife wants a bigger crossover and ill drive her Rogue- as she takes the kids to school and back, everything else is done in the van- so if I get her a Murano or something I may trade the Van in and take her Rouge for my small commute and then her drive and all round town stuff in the Murano.

Also as you can tell, I have not bought any RangeRovers or the like, so I have no idea their dealings in prices etc. while nice and awesome cars- the practicality/price never really made them an option for the moment. IMO with little kids, practicality and price are winners in my book- splurge on leather/pleather because it cleans up or buy the protection plan - they make vans really nice inside nowadays - but they also don't cost a mint so when your kids destroy the thing, and the rigors of city runabouting wear the thing down - your not pissed that you have a beat to hell 60k luxury crossover/suv.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
True, he said 3 kids, 2 in seats... full car seats or boosters? and 1 rear facing child seat baby holder- those things take up SOO much room... then there is your standard child related crap that you are wondering around with, stroller - or strollers depending on age, at least 1 for the baby? those things take up the standard back room of your "mid/small" crossovers- or your 3rd row crossover back with 3rd row seat up. Do you actually want to have a place to put your groceries and or whatever you bought? don't think of going to ikea!

I am getting to where we don't have diaper bags as both kids are potty trained, the oldest (4) is in a high back booster and the 2.5 yr old is in a normal car seat that will soon be a booster as she is tall enough - we rarely take the stroller and when we do it is not the car seat system stroller, or double stroller but a small umbrella stroller- so we are starting to get out of the "ton of crap" phase of kids - but most people tell me once your out of all the baby/toddler crap hauling you then start hauling around sport/band/dance/ etc. crap... So I could go through the hassle of getting a nice 2 row crossover but most don't get THAT much more MPG than the van, and would not cost LESS to own...so really? why...? Maybe if my wife wants a bigger crossover and ill drive her Rogue- as she takes the kids to school and back, everything else is done in the van- so if I get her a Murano or something I may trade the Van in and take her Rouge for my small commute and then her drive and all round town stuff in the Murano.

Also as you can tell, I have not bought any RangeRovers or the like, so I have no idea their dealings in prices etc. while nice and awesome cars- the practicality/price never really made them an option for the moment. IMO with little kids, practicality and price are winners in my book- splurge on leather/pleather because it cleans up or buy the protection plan - they make vans really nice inside nowadays - but they also don't cost a mint so when your kids destroy the thing, and the rigors of city runabouting wear the thing down - your not pissed that you have a beat to hell 60k luxury crossover/suv.
I have 3 kids and an X5 and it's never full of crap. Only one of mine is in a car seat though.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I just had a new set of continental purecontacts put on...driving 50 or so miles in the rain and some dry today it preformed so well I'm excited. 4 out of 5 picassos