Car Insurance / Home Insurance

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Probably. They can see what recent sales in your area are and calculate current $/sqft and then multiply out to your house.

it’s not about sales it’s about cost to rebuild. You can have a house sell for $1mm (land value is a big difference) but the dwelling only costs $600k to rebuild. You insured the rebuild cost not the sale cost. Also it needs to be loaded for additional cost for debris removal and increased cost of construction due to new local bylaws.

The use trending inflation rates in construction. (Which has been absolutely insane In my area since COVID.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
as well as a couple scrapes I sustained on pillars in parking garages and got fixed over the last few years.

Uh, how many claims have you filed and how long have you been insured?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I never fill out or even read anything from Geico and they haven't canceled me yet. So it looks like the ride share companies have sold your info to Geico.

For all the other companies, it's probably best to do internet quotes on them all then look up the cheapest ones and see if you want to take a risk on them.

Here is Consumer Reports Auto Insurance company rankings if it helps, it gives a bunch of companies to look at (many are regional), but I'm not sure how trustworthy CR is on such matters:

Surprised Geico's score is so low, wow. Always thought they were a pretty solid insurance company. Had them for many years until this week.

On Monday I'll need to make some phone calls / get some quotes and get something squared away for insurance, will probably start with the top of this list and go from there.

The scores for claims and service might be worth considering (in aggregate with other sources such as NAIC and JD Power), but I would disagree with whatever metric they are using to calculate premiums - Allstate is cheap (at least their per-mile insurance is; I only paid about $500 for the entire year last year with liability/uninsured motorist-only coverage)

I definitely need collision on there, it saved me a lot of money the last few years by covering the scrapes I got in my damn parking garage (no longer live there or park there which is great, had a spot sandwiched between two pillars with like 6 inches on either side so that was cool).

Uh, how many claims have you filed and how long have you been insured?

2 scrapes on the old parking garage (from 2020-2022) and 1 at-fault accident in 2023 where I got side-swiped. Been insured with Geico for probably about 8 years and I don't think I had any incidents before 2020. Considering 3 incidents in 3-4 years it's understandable that the rates are jacked. The degree to which they're jacked is pretty crazy though. I expected maybe a raise from $125/mo to like $250/mo on the next calculation, not $400.

Well, one way or another I'm gonna probably eat it here, lesson learned, hopefully those incidents drop off within a few years and the rates can go back down.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Surprised Geico's score is so low, wow. Always thought they were a pretty solid insurance company. Had them for many years until this week.

On Monday I'll need to make some phone calls / get some quotes and get something squared away for insurance, will probably start with the top of this list and go from there.

I definitely need collision on there, it saved me a lot of money the last few years by covering the scrapes I got in my damn parking garage (no longer live there or park there which is great, had a spot sandwiched between two pillars with like 6 inches on either side so that was cool).

2 scrapes on the old parking garage (from 2020-2022) and 1 at-fault accident in 2023 where I got side-swiped. Been insured with Geico for probably about 8 years and I don't think I had any incidents before 2020. Considering 3 incidents in 3-4 years it's understandable that the rates are jacked. The degree to which they're jacked is pretty crazy though. I expected maybe a raise from $125/mo to like $250/mo on the next calculation, not $400.

Well, one way or another I'm gonna probably eat it here, lesson learned, hopefully those incidents drop off within a few years and the rates can go back down.
Rule of thumb, you never want to use insurance for things like scrapes, because that will get your rates jacked up. That's nothing new. You might have saved a few hundred in the short run, but you are going to be taking it up the ass for a long damn time, which is going to lose you money in the long run.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rais

Trakanon Raider
You had 3 at fault wrecks within 3 years. The scrapes are at fault. Just search around and you’ll find someone willing to take on the risk of insuring you. Geico dumped as many bad policy holders that they could. Turns out they all mostly went to progressive.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, 3 at-fault claims in 3 years is pretty high. I would have dropped you already

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nester

Vyemm Raider
So my car insurance company Geico unceremoniously dropped me without warning because I missed a letter from them asking if I ever did rideshare (so they could jack up my rates, of course). I call them today like "I have before, but not in a while, sorry I missed a mail from you, can we just renew my policy?" and they were basically like "we're not renewing you because you didn't confirm that you don't do rideshare, which is in violation".

Okay great. So I go back to my old car insurance company Progressive, and they want $400 per month (3x more than I was paying with Geico) due to an accident I got into in 2023, as well as a couple scrapes I sustained on pillars in parking garages and got fixed over the last few years. $200 would be doable but $400 is excessive and more than I pay for my actual goddamn car.

Jimmies are super goddamn rustled right now.

If anyone has a suggestion for affordable car insurance of some sort, I'm all ears. However I'm pretty sure any insurance company I call is going to give me similar whopper rates.

never claim small stuff like scrapes. Just live with it or fix it.
you now have a “frequency of claim” issue which will follow you for a bit. Ride share is a big deal for insurance as it is a huge increase in exposure. They basically assume you act like a taxi. It changes
Insurance is for catastrophic loss, not minor stuff. If you claim small stuff it works against you as your history is now unattractive to them and your chance at a substantial claim has increased.

• 2Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
how you made it to 40 is astounding. just general duh kinda knowledge you expect an adult to have you seem to be devoid of.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

wtf, didn't no body ever teach you, unless some shit fall off or smashed in don't call insurance

you got 3 dings on your insurance report for cosmetic reasons

• 2Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Rajaah Rajaah sounds like the kind of guy who goes to ER for a cold

• 2Worf

Izo

Tranny Chaser

Like the zoomers do.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Like the zoomers do.

Rajaah Rajaah get one of these

1712508653240.png

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
What’s everyone here using for auto insurance and umbrella insurance?

I’ve been using Auto Owners insurance for over a decade. Love them. New agent quoted be progressive and it’s like 1800$ for same level insurance. I don’t like my old agency since my agent retired and really like the new one but wow $1800..

Druss

Trakanon Raider
What’s everyone here using for auto insurance and umbrella insurance?

I’ve been using Auto Owners insurance for over a decade. Love them. New agent quoted be progressive and it’s like 1800$ for same level insurance. I don’t like my old agency since my agent retired and really like the new one but wow $1800..
USAA if you can get it. Have to be military at some point/or family member of one

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Rule of thumb, you never want to use insurance for things like scrapes, because that will get your rates jacked up. That's nothing new. You might have saved a few hundred in the short run, but you are going to be taking it up the ass for a long damn time, which is going to lose you money in the long run.
You had 3 at fault wrecks within 3 years. The scrapes are at fault. Just search around and you’ll find someone willing to take on the risk of insuring you. Geico dumped as many bad policy holders that they could. Turns out they all mostly went to progressive.
Yeah, 3 at-fault claims in 3 years is pretty high. I would have dropped you already

Yeah point taken, next time leave scrapes alone instead of getting them fixed. Didn't know they got counted as an accident. Never had any particular car issues before the last few years and never really filed a claim for anything.

That totally explains the high rates and also means pretty much any company is gonna have the same high rates.

Hopefully things like this "fall off" after five years without incident like bad credit does.

never claim small stuff like scrapes. Just live with it or fix it.
you now have a “frequency of claim” issue which will follow you for a bit. Ride share is a big deal for insurance as it is a huge increase in exposure. They basically assume you act like a taxi. It changes
Insurance is for catastrophic loss, not minor stuff. If you claim small stuff it works against you as your history is now unattractive to them and your chance at a substantial claim has increased.

Most of the fixing was because I was getting my car ready to sell, it's 6 years old and I want a new one within the next two years. Spent $3500 already on a number of things that needed to be fixed that were internal parts. Would have been better off in the long run saving that money (and the scrape deductibles) and just trading the thing in in a beat-up state for less money.

It's still got a dent from a hit-and-run while parked that I didn't even file because it's small and I have no evidence (CC TV, etc) so it isn't even totally fixed.

Well, time to go take it up the ass from Progressive! Now I know how California and New York feel.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Yeah point taken, next time leave scrapes alone instead of getting them fixed. Didn't know they got counted as an accident. Never had any particular car issues before the last few years and never really filed a claim for anything.

That totally explains the high rates and also means pretty much any company is gonna have the same high rates.

Hopefully things like this "fall off" after five years without incident like bad credit does.

Most of the fixing was because I was getting my car ready to sell, it's 6 years old and I want a new one within the next two years. Spent $3500 already on a number of things that needed to be fixed that were internal parts. Would have been better off in the long run saving that money (and the scrape deductibles) and just trading the thing in in a beat-up state for less money.

It's still got a dent from a hit-and-run while parked that I didn't even file because it's small and I have no evidence (CC TV, etc) so it isn't even totally fixed.

Well, time to go take it up the ass from Progressive! Now I know how California and New York feel.
Selling my current vehicle. If you’re selling to CarMax or dealer they will pull your car fax and every single crash report on there (that should only show if you went through insurance) is gonna give them a reason to knock down price or just not buy it.

If you’re selling to a reseller you’re most likely wasting your money fixing things.

Siliconemelons

When my wife was rear ended it was obviously not her fault. So I did not want our insurance to go up. When i spoke to our insurance it was a general inquiry about stuff, they told me if they do “any work” for us, that is a reason for rate increase. So even if the other company takes the blame and pays everything - if my insurance company even talks to the other one on our behalf, that’s work and subject to potential rate increase.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
When my wife was rear ended it was obviously not her fault. So I did not want our insurance to go up. When i spoke to our insurance it was a general inquiry about stuff, they told me if they do “any work” for us, that is a reason for rate increase. So even if the other company takes the blame and pays everything - if my insurance company even talks to the other one on our behalf, that’s work and subject to potential rate increase.

That's bullshit

• 2Like