Car Insurance

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
You almost always want to shop around when moving to a new state. Just because your company is one of the cheapest where you lived before has almost no correlation in a new state. Rates will vary wildly even within the same company from state to state, depending on how profitable(or not) they have been in that state in recent years.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I live in Phoenix, and have Progressive insurance. Have full coverage with pretty low deductibles on a 2013 Hyundai Tucson, and just basic liability on a 2000 Buick LeSabre. Wife and I have both totaled cars out, our fault, about 3 years ago or so, and we pay Progressive $650 every 6 months. You should for sure shop around.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I live in Phoenix, and have Progressive insurance. Have full coverage with pretty low deductibles on a 2013 Hyundai Tucson, and just basic liability on a 2000 Buick LeSabre. Wife and I have both totaled cars out, our fault, about 3 years ago or so, and we pay Progressive $650 every 6 months. You should for sure shop around.
Is progressive decent with service in Phoenix? I've really no experience with them personally or vicariously through friends/family.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Is progressive decent with service in Phoenix? I've really no experience with them personally or vicariously through friends/family.
Progressive is fantastic. I have a good friend that works in a higher end body shop, and he says Progressive is one of the easiest people to work with. They don't try and lowball you, and they understand when it takes real manufacture parts, instead of some cheap ass shit. So having that peace of mind that the repair shops like Progressive, makes me feel better about having them.

Over the phone, or online are also great for service. Very easy to get documents if you ever need. Was in the middle of the DMV (department of motor vehicles) and they needed proof of something, and I went on my phone to Progressive's website, and typed in the fax number, and the document showed up on their fax within minutes. Super convenient.

The flip side to all this, is that sometimes, you'll pay more. So they may not always be the cheapest, but they are pretty great.

General Antony

Vyemm Raider
Does anyone have auto insurance that lives in Phoenix proper? My rates skyrocketed moving from NH (which I figured was going to happen, but not double). I'm paying $2100/yr now on my 2011 WRX with Liberty Mutual. I carry a lot of coverage and very low deductibles, but still. I have 1 speeding ticket from 2 years ago that is 'free' so it doesn't add points on their premium, but I do lose a small amount (like 300) from 'safe driver discount'. I'm just wondering if it's worth going through the exhausting process of shopping around and answering 345 questions over and over. I'm happy with their service thus far, had not-at-fault parking lot fender bender and three windshields in 18 months and they said nothing has added no points on the premium.

Asking around I basically get the feeling I'm going to get fleeced for living in a major metro area regardless so it's just penny pinching to shop around.
Companies are finding out that the best economic strategy appears to be enticing new customers in with a low rate and then over time bringing that rate up to what is needed to generate the return needed to meet profitability goals. This is predicated on the fact that the price elasticity for getting new business in the door is much greater than for the renewing business that will leave because of the rate increases. Basically, once someone buys insurance they get "sticky" and won't necessarily leave even if lower rates are available. For someone already shopping however, lowest rate is typically the most attractive selling point.

If you're willing, you can continually hop around to get the lowest rates possible.

Kaita

Golden Squire
Anyone have experience with Esurance? They have a lower rate for me but seems like they have some bad reviews for customer service.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Progressive is fantastic. I have a good friend that works in a higher end body shop, and he says Progressive is one of the easiest people to work with. They don't try and lowball you, and they understand when it takes real manufacture parts, instead of some cheap ass shit. So having that peace of mind that the repair shops like Progressive, makes me feel better about having them.

Over the phone, or online are also great for service. Very easy to get documents if you ever need. Was in the middle of the DMV (department of motor vehicles) and they needed proof of something, and I went on my phone to Progressive's website, and typed in the fax number, and the document showed up on their fax within minutes. Super convenient.

The flip side to all this, is that sometimes, you'll pay more. So they may not always be the cheapest, but they are pretty great.
So I finally got around to pricing progressive.

My current insurance is apparently 2.5x as expensive for the same coverage. Weelllp time to swap.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So I finally got around to pricing progressive.

My current insurance is apparently 2.5x as expensive for the same coverage. Weelllp time to swap.
The way almost all insurance companies work anymore, you need to switch companies every year or two to get the best rates. Introductory/new customer disconts are MUCH larger than longevity discounts with almost all carriers nowadays.

For instance, with my company you get a 10% longevity discount after 3 years with us. Or alternately, brand new customers have up to 30% in discounts available depending on how they start their policy. But those 30% fall off after 1-2 years.

Honestly it sucks, insurance companies have modeled themselves after cable/phone companies, they care much more about a new customer than they do retaining an existing customer.

10 years ago, our company averaged about 93-95% retention for policies, year after year. Now we're down into the mid 80%s, and it keeps dropping every year. Its a pain in the ass to spend all my time scrambling for new customers at the expense of servicing existing customers.

Everytime someone new comes to us, we get the "OMG you're saving me $50 a month, I can't believe how expensive my old insurance was", and then we'll get a call from an existing customer call and cancel all of their policies because they found someone that saves them $1000 a year compared to our rates. Its a ridiculous circle.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea, I called in to do it and I got massacred from CLUE though.

I had 3 shattered windshields in the last year, so pretty much game over right there... Then I had a claim 2 years ago - my car was parked in the street at my last apartment and some asshole clipped my mirror clean off. I filed with the insurance company because I figured it was going to be a huge cost repair to the door frame as well as the entire mirror. Well, long story short the dealership was able to basically save everything from the mirror (motor and glass) and install a new bracket on the door, just replacing the outer housing - the lady on the phone didn't know whether to file it as collision or comp because it was unclear if it was vandalism or a lucky swipe by a car. When the adjuster pulled it up today he said I had an at fault accident and a comp claim from the same day... despite the fact that the insurance company paid nothing on the thing at all.

Guess that'll teach me to ever use the insurance I have... My instinct tells me CLUE is in no way regulated like the credit reporting agencies so I'm basically fucked getting that off.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
About your only recourse there is to get a letter from your previous insurance company stating all of the details of the claims.

CLUE reports basically only give basic details like "5/12/2010 - Comprehensive - $800 - Operator:palum" And thats it. We can't see any claim details whatsoever other than cold, hard facts(dates, payouts, drivers). We often have to get new customers to get a letter from their previous insured with more details, as they may have a "Collision - $4000" claim on their record, but there is no way to know if they were at fault or not. could easily be a hit-and-run or something like that. If you are getting quotes from a decent agent, they should be willing to get exceptions from their underwriters if you can provide written proof that you actually weren't at-fault in these claims. That is the one benefit of using a local agent, rather than just getting quotes from a random call center somewhere or online, you can get a real person that will work with you despite what the cold hard facts say in a computer printout.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
About your only recourse there is to get a letter from your previous insurance company stating all of the details of the claims.

CLUE reports basically only give basic details like "5/12/2010 - Comprehensive - $800 - Operator:palum" And thats it. We can't see any claim details whatsoever other than cold, hard facts(dates, payouts, drivers). We often have to get new customers to get a letter from their previous insured with more details, as they may have a "Collision - $4000" claim on their record, but there is no way to know if they were at fault or not. could easily be a hit-and-run or something like that. If you are getting quotes from a decent agent, they should be willing to get exceptions from their underwriters if you can provide written proof that you actually weren't at-fault in these claims. That is the one benefit of using a local agent, rather than just getting quotes from a random call center somewhere or online, you can get a real person that will work with you despite what the cold hard facts say in a computer printout.
Yea I may go that route. I had one not-at-fault accident earlier this year, the Progressive agent brought it up and asked for a description but then just brushed it off saying "well unfortunately it doesn't matter because the insurance company paid out for it". Are you entitled to case files from insurance companies about claims they put on your CLUE report? Otherwise I'm not sure why they'd want to give me a write up on events if the only logical thing I'd be using it for is to find new insurance.

I mean, I get that I'm unlucky with the windshields and everything, but I had to raise my eyebrow at getting railed by the guy like I burned down an orphanage. "WELL SIR, I see you have actually... well yea, a whole mess of accidents and things you didn't report on your application. I have to tell you this makes you a very risky driver..." despite the fact that the application with them only gives you options for at-fault collisions and none for comp claims. Doubly so that I've never been an at-fault party for a collision in my life.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Thats just basically the Progressive agent being a lazy bastard. He just doesn't want to put in the effort it would take to get a letter from you, contact his underwriter, and get an exception. He just doesn't want to put in that much effort for 1 policy. I work for my father who is an older agent and he's basically the same way. If you come to him with a house and multiple cars he'll put in that effort, but if you're a young kid with 1 car, he doesn't care. He doesn't make enough money off of that 1 policy to put forth that much effort. Now, me being younger and hungry for any business I can get, I'll go the extra mile to get just that 1 policy because I know it could lead to more down the road if someday you buy a house, get married, etc.

If you go online to get a quote with someone like State Farm, Allstate, Farmers, etc, use their "find a local agent" function on their website and see if you can see pictures of the agents. Choose a young one, they'll be more likely to be hungry for the business and willing to put in the effort to help you.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Thats just basically the Progressive agent being a lazy bastard. He just doesn't want to put in the effort it would take to get a letter from you, contact his underwriter, and get an exception. He just doesn't want to put in that much effort for 1 policy. I work for my father who is an older agent and he's basically the same way. If you come to him with a house and multiple cars he'll put in that effort, but if you're a young kid with 1 car, he doesn't care. He doesn't make enough money off of that 1 policy to put forth that much effort. Now, me being younger and hungry for any business I can get, I'll go the extra mile to get just that 1 policy because I know it could lead to more down the road if someday you buy a house, get married, etc.

If you go online to get a quote with someone like State Farm, Allstate, Farmers, etc, use their "find a local agent" function on their website and see if you can see pictures of the agents. Choose a young one, they'll be more likely to be hungry for the business and willing to put in the effort to help you.
Yea I 'm looking for auto + renters + umbrella right now, but I don't have a family full of pricy teenage drivers. I need to find a good broker though, I think.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I just switched home and auto to American National from nationwide and saved about 600 a year.

They have a deal where you get 25 percent of your premium back if you're claim free for 3 years

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yea I 'm looking for auto + renters + umbrella right now, but I don't have a family full of pricy teenage drivers. I need to find a good broker though, I think.
Curious, why the umbrella? Do you have a lot of assets to protect? If so, why don't you own a house? I just rarely see people who are at a point in their life where they still rent have a need for an umbrella.

Umbrellas also don't serve a lot of purpose until you have a LOT of policies for them to protect. While a $1,000,000 umbrella might not cost more than $150-$200 a year in my area of the country, you could raise the individual liability limits on your 1 car and renters to $1,000,000 for a lot less than that, more than likely. Usually an umbrella doesn't become too cost-efficient until it is residing over 3,4,5+ policies, then it is cheaper than raising all of those individual policy limits. Around here, raising a renters policty to $1,000,000 liability is all of like $1 a month more, and doing the same on a car might not be more than $4-5 per month(assuming you are an adult with a decent driving record)

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Agreed, an umbrella does not make much sense over a single vehicle and a tenants policy. Unless you have multiple policies or require very high limits, stick to buying increase limits from your main providers. Most of the premium is padded in the first $1mm as obvisoulsy the vast majority of claims are under this limit.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea I haven't seen higher limits from my insurance companies, some even capped at 300K in the past.

All it takes is one bad accident with an MD or something where they can't go back to work... it's not always about current assets but also earning potential. I wouldn't really care about an umbrella policy from an 'ease' more just that I hadn't seen higher liability limits so far. I suppose I'll inquire about it.

I'll still probably find a local place.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm getting pretty frustrated with my insurance company (USAA). Was involved in an accident on August 21st, where another driver merged into me (so 60 days ago). My insurance found him 100% at fault. He was driving on a company insurance policy, and USAA told me that his insurance had contracted it out to a 3rd party insurance company.

Then, 2 weeks ago, I contacted them again and was told that USAA was still in the process of attempting to find a valid liability policy for the other vehicle, and that they had little information to use (despite the fact that I literally gave them every possibly piece of information they could possibly need, as the other driver gave me everything).

What the hell can I do at this point? I'd really like my $500 deductible, and rental car costs, returned. I can't find anything definitive on it, but there appear to be statutes in place in California regarding how long the insurance company has to settle a claim. But since I'm waiting for the other driver's insurance to pay, I'm unsure of how that applies. USAA covered the repair costs, minus my deductible, already. Is that the extent of what is covered by the law? It seems like USAA would want to get this settled with the other company as soon as they could since they're the ones on the hook for most of the costs.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
The at fault party should have / should cover the cost of your rental and your deductible. You should be out nothing but time.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Right, I understand that. But I had to cover those upfront while the insurance companies settle it between themselves. I'm wondering how long that should take, or if there's anything I can do at this point since it's been 60 days.