Car Insurance

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I'm getting pretty frustrated with my insurance company (USAA). Was involved in an accident on August 21st, where another driver merged into me (so 60 days ago). My insurance found him 100% at fault. He was driving on a company insurance policy, and USAA told me that his insurance had contracted it out to a 3rd party insurance company.

Then, 2 weeks ago, I contacted them again and was told that USAA was still in the process of attempting to find a valid liability policy for the other vehicle, and that they had little information to use (despite the fact that I literally gave them every possibly piece of information they could possibly need, as the other driver gave me everything).

What the hell can I do at this point? I'd really like my $500 deductible, and rental car costs, returned. I can't find anything definitive on it, but there appear to be statutes in place in California regarding how long the insurance company has to settle a claim. But since I'm waiting for the other driver's insurance to pay,I'm unsure of how that applies. USAA covered the repair costs, minus my deductible, already. Is that the extent of what is covered by the law?It seems like USAA would want to get this settled with the other company as soon as they could since they're the ones on the hook for most of the costs.
Your mad at your company because the other drivers company is slow? that is some fuzzy logic.

My accident was Sept 6th. I just got my Ded and rental car paid last week. it was much much faster than I anticipated.

Its not about the law its about the insurance policy you purchased, did you have rental car coverage? No ? then you wait. Your company can not give you the Ded back until they have confirmed liability from the other driver, that seems to be the issue. If it was me I would be calling the other drivers insurance company as well as the 3rd party adjuster. Don't get angry with them, then you go to the bottom of the pile !

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
A lot of things can delay subrogation. The at-fault insurance company will generally want to contact their insured to confirm the claim details, and if their insured isn't calling them back it can delay the claim for weeks/months. Most states have a guideline that they have to follow for moving forward without being able to contact all parties, but depending on the state it could be 30 days, 90 days, whatever. They will eventually pay, but it could be a while. And god-forbid if their insured tries to change up his story and the claim has to go to court to be settled between the two insurance companies. If the damages weren't a lot, your company may not even bother going to court and getting the money(and your deductible) back, but at that point you are looking at the months to years timeframe.

We've had customers call us that randomly received a $500 check in the mail from us, and after digging we discover its subrogation from a claim that was 3-4 years ago. It can take a LONG time if everyone isn't 100% cooperative.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's essentially what I wanted to know, thanks. Basically my wife is nagging me about it taking so long, but I have no basis for what it takes for two insurance companies to settle a claim. I also have no clue if the California statutes are only for a claim with your own insurance, and if what they've already paid covers that already.

As far as your questions, Nester, I have I think $25 a day for rental costs, but it ended up being a bit more than that (basically about $100 out of pocket for a week while my car was in for repairs). All in all it's just $600 and we can easily cover that, so it's not a big deal. This is just the first claim I think I've ever had with an insurance company in 14 years of driving and it seems slow as fuck.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
My best friend used to work for Progressive, but also worked for several of those 3rd party companies you mentioned the at-fault person's company had contracted out to. Let me tell you, if they are anything like the three different ones he has worked for, you'll get your money a long fucking time from now. Those companies are universally understaffed and overloaded with work. Turnover is through the roof because employees don't realize what they were signing up for. He's had over a hundred claims at once on his desk, and when someone else quits, he's likely to get fifty more. There is literally not enough time in the day (let alone the strict 8 hour no overtime because the company can't afford it workday) to even look at each claim, let alone work on resolving them. He takes one phone call and gets three voicemails during that time. Fortunately he's improved his employment since then, but you get the point. It isn't USAA, it is the other company, and there isn't a lot they can do about it if the other person is at least sending out the form letter every 30 days stating they are working on it. Hell, he's spent an entire day doing nothing but sending those letters out (because you can be fined by the insurance board if you don't), which means a full day of not working a single claim.

In other words, fuck working for anyone but a major carrier if you have to be in insurance.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
My best friend used to work for Progressive, but also worked for several of those 3rd party companies you mentioned the at-fault person's company had contracted out to. Let me tell you, if they are anything like the three different ones he has worked for, you'll get your money a long fucking time from now. Those companies are universally understaffed and overloaded with work. Turnover is through the roof because employees don't realize what they were signing up for. He's had over a hundred claims at once on his desk, and when someone else quits, he's likely to get fifty more. There is literally not enough time in the day (let alone the strict 8 hour no overtime because the company can't afford it workday) to even look at each claim, let alone work on resolving them. He takes one phone call and gets three voicemails during that time. Fortunately he's improved his employment since then, but you get the point. It isn't USAA, it is the other company, and there isn't a lot they can do about it if the other person is at least sending out the form letter every 30 days stating they are working on it. Hell, he's spent an entire day doing nothing but sending those letters out (because you can be fined by the insurance board if you don't), which means a full day of not working a single claim.

In other words, fuck working for anyone but a major carrier if you have to be in insurance.
Reason #1 to keep carrying full coverage on your own vehicle, with a good company of your choosing. You don't want to be at the mercy of someone else's cut-rate shitbag insurance company. Being out your deductible for the year+ it takes to get reimbursed is a hell of a lot better than being out the entire value of your vehicle for that long.

My vehicle is 9 years old, long paid off, and probably only worth about 5-6 grand, but I still carry full coverage just for that reason. I can be out $500 indefinitely and it won't bother me. 5 grand is another story...

Nester

Vyemm Raider
That's essentially what I wanted to know, thanks. Basically my wife is nagging me about it taking so long, but I have no basis for what it takes for two insurance companies to settle a claim. I also have no clue if the California statutes are only for a claim with your own insurance, and if what they've already paid covers that already.

As far as your questions, Nester, I have I think $25 a day for rental costs, but it ended up being a bit more than that (basically about $100 out of pocket for a week while my car was in for repairs). All in all it's just $600 and we can easily cover that, so it's not a big deal. This is just the first claim I think I've ever had with an insurance company in 14 years of driving and it seems slow as fuck.
It is very slow...I work mostly in commercial insurance and I have claims that are still open after 4+ years. Some of them (involving injury to a child) stay open until the child is an adult. that's 12 years in this case....

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
This isn't specifically about car insurance, but renters insurance (and insurance in general). Do insurance policies change companies? I've had renters insurance with Progressive Home Advantage for the past year, but today I got an email from Geico telling me that my policy is set to renew in January. I checked the policy number in the Geico email and it's identical to my Progressive number. Did Progressive sell my policy to Geico?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
This isn't specifically about car insurance, but renters insurance (and insurance in general). Do insurance policies change companies? I've had renters insurance with Progressive Home Advantage for the past year, but today I got an email from Geico telling me that my policy is set to renew in January. I checked the policy number in the Geico email and it's identical to my Progressive number. Did Progressive sell my policy to Geico?
I've never seen that happen unless one company acquires/merges with another company. Like Allstate bought e-surance a few years back, my company(American Family) bought The General last year, etc. As far as I know, there's no connection between Geico and Progressive. I'd make a call to your agent and see what is up.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I've never seen that happen unless one company acquires/merges with another company. Like Allstate bought e-surance a few years back, my company(American Family) bought The General last year, etc. As far as I know, there's no connection between Geico and Progressive. I'd make a call to your agent and see what is up.
Thanks. I think it might be a scam trying to get me to enter information or something. I can still log-in to Progressive's site and check/pay my policy like I have always been able to do.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Fuck Geico, I got an internet quote a year ago from them, they still send me shit every week to try to get me to sign up for that quote.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I deal with an insurance broker. She handles our home owners as well as both vehicles. We're currently through a company called Harleysville Insurance (located in Pennsylvania) for both types of insurance. They give us a discount because they're getting all of it. She checks for new quotes on all of her customers every month, and she has yet to find a better quote than what we're paying Harleysville. I have no complaints about that, and they're a great company to deal with.

They paid a lot of money for repairs on my house (siding) due to Hurricane Sandy. We ended up only having to spend a little more to get the entire house redone.
They have also done a great job with repairing my vehicle after someone forced me off the road a little over a year ago. Really pleased with this company.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
So I had a minor incident yesterday with a truck I now own. We got it a few months ago to haul stuff and use around the property. Quite handy. Bundled it in to our All State policy with other vehicles, house, etc. So I was driving, came over a small hill to a four way stop. Already three people in the ditch, and a four car clusterfuck happened before I got there. I was doing literally 10 MPH, couldn't steer, couldn't brake, honked the horn, people stepped aside and watched me slide slo-mo into the already crashed truck ahead of me.

Called the cops to get a report. Cop showed up, slid into the ditch. He's writing accident reports with no fault for everyone. There was literally no way anyone could stop there. He got a second car to sit at the top of the hill and stop traffic.

Called All State. They told me because of my 15 year record with them, and my lack of claims, and my credit score, and the fact that I have all insurance with them, I have a 0$ deductible. Also, they will pay for a rental car while my truck is being fixed. Also, they cut me a check today for the total repair (just under $3,000), and the body shop that will do the work will direct bill All State for anything extra they find. Absolutely no out of pocket cost for me, rental car provided at the body shop I chose, immediate payment with no questions. Also, because of my record, no mark against my policy, meaning there will be no change in my premium. Guaranteed.

Seems like the non-discount insurance might be worth it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
You pay for it one way or another.
Yeah the "accident forgiveness" that is advertised is basically just paying an accident surcharge up front rather than after the fact. Horrible deal if you go a decade without an accident like most people do.

Not that there aren't advantages to using a traditional insurance company with an agent that can help you or l out when its needed, but you definitely pay extra for it.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I certainly pay more for my policy that I would if I had some discount company. This kind of treatment is why. I'm fine with that.

koljec_sl

shitlord
IIRC GEICO uses Progressive and some other companies for different lines and risk groups.

For example, my homeowners is arranged through GEICO (this gets me the multi-line discount) but actually underwritten by Travelers. Your renters policy might be working the other way around. Or maybe GEICO is just managing it.

I know they do this with some high risk groups in Auto insurance, too. I don't think GEICO actually underwrites drivers with DUI history, but I think there's a tier of Progressive that does. So GEICO sort of becomes the broker/manager for that risk group of policy holders.

There are way fewer actual insurance pools than the number of companies and brokers would suggest.

If you've got top-notch credit and unblemished claim history, I would look into AMICA. Great rates, but they don't tolerate risk.

I'm a GEICO customer, and I have always found their customer service very accessible by phone. They took care of my wife's deer accident easily enough. And I like their mechanical breakdown insurance for some peace of mind with a VW turbo.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Only really posting in this thread to vent. Apparently it's incredibly dead since the last post was over 7 years ago.

But we've got State Farm for car insurance since they'll cover our van as an RV (it's registered as one). Anyway, our insurance rate a year ago was like $600ish/month for our car. In October they jacked it up to about $750 (a 25% increase). And now we just got a bill for nearly $900 (a 20% increase).

What. The. Fuck?

I don't think my wife has ever filed a claim, and my one and only claim was about 1 month after getting my license, 21 years ago. Don't think she's ever had a ticket, and my last one was well over a decade ago. It's a 2021 Mazda, and we drive it under 5,000 miles a year. A rate hike of 50% in a year is absolutely absurd.

This is the kind of shit where you lose a customer for the rest of their lives out of spite.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Only really posting in this thread to vent. Apparently it's incredibly dead since the last post was over 7 years ago.

But we've got State Farm for car insurance since they'll cover our van as an RV (it's registered as one). Anyway, our insurance rate a year ago was like $600ish/month for our car. In October they jacked it up to about $750 (a 25% increase). And now we just got a bill for nearly $900 (a 20% increase).

What. The. Fuck?

I don't think my wife has ever filed a claim, and my one and only claim was about 1 month after getting my license, 21 years ago. Don't think she's ever had a ticket, and my last one was well over a decade ago. It's a 2021 Mazda, and we drive it under 5,000 miles a year. A rate hike of 50% in a year is absolutely absurd.

This is the kind of shit where you lose a customer for the rest of their lives out of spite.

Pretty much all Florida insurance has been going ape shit retarded recently. One part is we are a no fault state which is fucking stupid to begin with the 2nd big issue is Florida has like 1/3rd uninsured motorist throughout the state. Which should shock nobody since this faggot dick pirates keep pushing the paying customers the bill for the abject poverty failures and illegals.

Also 1/2 of the insurance companies are blaming hurrinace Ion for them being greedy cockgobblers.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Maybe the secret is to just be uninsured? If you can't beat em, join em. And it sounds like all the suckers with insurance are picking up the tab anyway, so why fucking bother having it?

As long as I don't get pulled over, I'm golden. Heck, maybe I pretend to be illegal because they apparently don't give a shit anymore anyway?

2da.gif