Car ?'s

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I gotta think Elon knows the competing car designs and knows charging them is gonna be an issue. He signs these charging deals with competitors and it's like a giant troll.
wouldn't this just make current tesla owners mad, when they pull up and a f150 is parked like a retard?

b/c lets be honest all trucks park like retards

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
wouldn't this just make current tesla owners mad, when they pull up and a f150 is parked like a retard?
Yes It Is Reaction GIF

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

b/c lets be honest all trucks park like retards
Supposedly they will tow people blocking the charging spots, but I've never tried it myself.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It only makes sense to standardize charging. Having 7 different chargers everywhere for all different kinds of cars is retarded. Looks like Tesla is winning the standard race and will probably get to charge everyone else to license their tech.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
It only makes sense to standardize charging. Having 7 different chargers everywhere for all different kinds of cars is retarded. Looks like Tesla is winning the standard race and will probably get to charge everyone else to license their tech.
Tesla's patents are public, at least they used to be. Nothing stopping anybody from using the Tesla connector. Europe is standardizing on the CCS connector, so it makes sense for both sides to use the same. I don't know if there's a severe technical advantage or disadvantage to CCS vs the Tesla connector, and I don't care at this point since I wouldn't buy a non-Tesla EV in the US right now.

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Tesla's patents are public, at least they used to be. Nothing stopping anybody from using the Tesla connector. Europe is standardizing on the CCS connector, so it makes sense for both sides to use the same. I don't know if there's a severe technical advantage or disadvantage to CCS vs the Tesla connector, and I don't care at this point since I wouldn't buy a non-Tesla EV in the US right now.
Musk spouted that about a decade ago, but it included some poison pill conditions that prevented any existing OEM from biting.

In my opinion, this was a supremely dumb move by Ford. With Europe mandating CCS and Tesla already migrating chargers in the US, the writing was on the wall for Supercharger. Musk's obsession with reducing complexity meant Tesla was going to eventually move to CCS. I still think CCS will win out in the end, it'll just take longer (and I'm not a huge fan of that standard - I don't care for powerline communication).

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I saw the Toyota Crown for the first time. I kinda dig it. Almost a concept look imo.

2023-toyota-crown-101-1657642173.jpg

The fastback reminds me of the Porsche four door.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
more toyota/subaru ev garbage

now the battery charges slow as shit and just dies on you
at the beginning of the year the wheels fucking fell off, now this

this doesn't even make sense if it was only subaru (they share the bz4x and solterra platforms) but it's toyota fucking this shit up, the fucking mega kings of hybrid and they can't pump out an ev car

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
That's what they get for draging their feet I guess. It strikes me as odd in general in that it seems hybrids are much more difficult design/build/etc since you basically have to deal with 2 powertrains. A decent RAV4 EV would basically print money.

Siliconemelons

Toyota has been riding their 90's wave for decades and have really done nothing new innovative or anything. They are expensive vs Honda or Nissan, they are (now) not nearly as rock solid as before.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
thats what this shitty bz4x is supposed to be!
They are a lot more similar in size than I realized, but I still say if they would have just redesigned a RAV4 to fit on the new platform and reduced the BZ4X fuck ups by 50%, it would be a hit. Or at least moderately successful.

I can only imagine what would happen if Tesla made something like a RAV4 that was competitively priced.

edit: forgot to add the comparison link: Compare Toyota bZ4X vs Toyota RAV4

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
They are a lot more similar in size than I realized, but I still say if they would have just redesigned a RAV4 to fit on the new platform and reduced the BZ4X fuck ups by 50%, it would be a hit. Or at least moderately successful.

I can only imagine what would happen if Tesla made something like a RAV4 that was competitively priced.

edit: forgot to add the comparison link: Compare Toyota bZ4X vs Toyota RAV4
tesla did make a rav4!!! in 2013

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Ha, I forgot about that first test version. Didn't know it was in partnership w/ Tesla though and 10 years later the Model Y is at the top of the pack and with ~2x the margin. I wonder how many times the Toyota execs in charge of that project have jumped out a window.

It would be awesome to see a Munro Live teardown video of that RAV4 EV.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Ha, I forgot about that first test version. Didn't know it was in partnership w/ Tesla though and 10 years later the Model Y is at the top of the pack and with ~2x the margin. I wonder how many times the Toyota execs in charge of that project have jumped out a window.

It would be awesome to see a Munro Live teardown video of that RAV4 EV.
i've seen vids of them replacing the motor, cuz it's the old shitty motor b/4 the model s ( Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes which shitty motor is this?), like it looks like a nice rav4 w/ a working tesla motor, it's the best of both, quality toyota interior w/o the shitty leaky tesla seams and experimental door handles that fail after 15uses.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
w/o the shitty leaky tesla seams and experimental door handles that fail after 15uses.
I am not gonna defend Telsa quality, but mine has been pretty damn solid on the workmanship front. I do love when Tesla geeks mention things like air sounds on the highway and uneven gaps between the door and the body as "it makes it unique". No it makes it a poor build. The older door handles that extended when you got close was just asking for problems via repetition. The newer "push on end of the handle" are a better design. Considering I have gullwing doors, I am shocked that mine havent developed any real issues.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
i've seen vids of them replacing the motor, cuz it's the old shitty motor b/4 the model s ( Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes which shitty motor is this?), like it looks like a nice rav4 w/ a working tesla motor, it's the best of both, quality toyota interior w/o the shitty leaky tesla seams and experimental door handles that fail after 15uses.
If I remember correctly the motor in the Roadster v1, was sourced from a 3rd party but I'm not sure who.

Tesla has definitely had their troubles w/ QC, we're at 50k miles on our 2019 M3. No issues so far w/ the door handles (do you mean the Model X?) or leaky seams(?)

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
If I remember correctly the motor in the Roadster v1, was sourced from a 3rd party but I'm not sure who.

Tesla has definitely had their troubles w/ QC, we're at 50k miles on our 2019 M3. No issues so far w/ the door handles (do you mean the Model X?) or leaky seams(?)
theyre just known for fitment, quality control issues, heck you might even have some, just don't go looking for it, you'll never unsee it

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
theyre just known for fitment, quality control issues, heck you might even have some, just don't go looking for it, you'll never unsee it
I'm aware, just wasn't sure what specifically you were refering to by 'seams'. There area few small cosmetic irregularities, but nothing that is noticeable unless you're really looking for them. Mainly you just see where the wife has scratched up the rims 🙃

• 1Worf