Car ?'s

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The first time I had to change the headlights in my 05 Civic, I ended up calling a garage after half an hour of frustration with the driver's side. It was a Saturday and I had gotten a fix it ticket the night before and had to go back to work that night and this was the only place I could find in the area that was open. They told me they normally dropped the fender to replace the driver's side due to how little room you have to get that one in. I wasn't about to pay for that , so I kept trying. I broke a couple bulbs and I swear the neck of the wiper fluid bottle was going to snap with how far I had to push it, but I did eventually get that bastard in there.
haha remember this?
5fd17cb13aed66b50769dbe0e7ad3ad0.png

yup i again used my nimble asian hands to change the fucking bulbs... it was fucking impossible cuz they use god damn spring clips, i broke 1 i don't know how the other didn't break, i just shoved it in the rubber "boot" and hoped it wouldn't fall out, and it hasn't

it's led's so i got the absurb super bright kind, so orientation didn't matter, i'm sure oncoming traffic hates me

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
haha remember this?
5fd17cb13aed66b50769dbe0e7ad3ad0.png

yup i again used my nimble asian hands to change the fucking bulbs... it was fucking impossible cuz they use god damn spring clips, i broke 1 i don't know how the other didn't break, i just shoved it in the rubber "boot" and hoped it wouldn't fall out, and it hasn't

it's led's so i got the absurb super bright kind, so orientation didn't matter, i'm sure oncoming traffic hates me

Hopefully the Fit won't be as bad. At least I'm full WFH now so I'm not changing the headlights every 2 years like I used to.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
When the starter went out on my girlfriend's Honda CRV they had to take the front bumper and the grill off to replace it. Wound up being like $650 in labor for a damn starter. My regular mechanic is a skinny little guy with noodle-like arms and he can replace headlight bulbs in several types of cars that normal men have to halfway disassemble the car to get to them. It's a pretty big advantage for a mechanic to have small hands.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Hopefully the Fit won't be as bad. At least I'm full WFH now so I'm not changing the headlights every 2 years like I used to.
did you just get a standard sylvania replacement? should work fine

but an led upgrade is amaze balls tho

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
did you just get a standard sylvania replacement? should work fine

but an led upgrade is amaze balls tho

I never tried the LEDs in the Civic due to how bulky they were. I didn't see how I would be able to cram that in to the driver's side. At least with the passenger side I could just pull the battery. I've got a pair of Sylvania's in the glove box of the Fit for whenever they go, but I've never really looked in to how much of a pain in the ass they will be.

I used to drive all night for a living and I always hated those super bright LEDs. Especially those blue bastards.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
When the starter went out on my girlfriend's Honda CRV they had to take the front bumper and the grill off to replace it. Wound up being like $650 in labor for a damn starter. My regular mechanic is a skinny little guy with noodle-like arms and he can replace headlight bulbs in several types of cars that normal men have to halfway disassemble the car to get to them. It's a pretty big advantage for a mechanic to have small hands.

I had a family friend do almost all my mechanic work for nearly 20 years and he had to charge me $850 to replace the leaky heater core in my 88 Lincoln Mark VII LSC. He had to tear apart the entire dash to get at the damn thing.

I loved that damn car, but it was such a pain in the balls whenever anything went wrong.

• 1Like

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider

That's just about everything these days, unfortunately. No OEM gives a shit about serviceability. Practically every 3rd gen Tahoe / 10th gen Suburban is driving around with one daytime running light out for this reason. I ended up just pulling the fuse when mine went so it was symmetrical again.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I never tried the LEDs in the Civic due to how bulky they were. I didn't see how I would be able to cram that in to the driver's side. At least with the passenger side I could just pull the battery. I've got a pair of Sylvania's in the glove box of the Fit for whenever they go, but I've never really looked in to how much of a pain in the ass they will be.

I used to drive all night for a living and I always hated those super bright LEDs. Especially those blue bastards.
why are you using glass blubs still? are you trying to keep that "classic" look, lulz, mine is considered a classic, and yours will too soon

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
why are you using glass blubs still? are you trying to keep that "classic" look, lulz, mine is considered a classic, and yours will too soon
The Fit is a 2019, it uses the same bulbs as the Civic and I had spares left over. I haven't had to change the bulbs in it as I've only had it for 2 years and it had brand new bulbs when I bought it. Maybe I'll consider LEDs when it comes time to replace them, but now that I drive a lot less it will be a while before that happens.

LEDs needing active cooling does concern me a little, as I don't trust those tiny fans. My brother in law had LED's in one of his trucks and he went through several replacements over the 5 years he had it. Each single LED replacement costing more than a pair of standard bulbs.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The Fit is a 2019, it uses the same bulbs as the Civic and I had spares left over. I haven't had to change the bulbs in it as I've only had it for 2 years and it had brand new bulbs when I bought it. Maybe I'll consider LEDs when it comes time to replace them, but now that I drive a lot less it will be a while before that happens.

LEDs needing active cooling does concern me a little, as I don't trust those tiny fans. My brother in law had LED's in one of his trucks and he went through several replacements over the 5 years he had it. Each single LED replacement costing more than a pair of standard bulbs.
yea, come to think of it, i don't remember the last time i even turned on my headlights, lulz i should check to see if they work

actually checked my lights every other week when i lived nj/pa, cuz cops are pussy ACAB

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
actually checked my lights every other week when i lived nj/pa, cuz cops are pussy ACAB

I drove for a bakery back in the day and (at my boss's suggestion) kept a cop box at the ready at all times. No sticky glazed, no powdered unless I had wet naps to go with them.

The cops were usually the ones who made the donut jokes first and only troopers ever gave me any trouble.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Avoid the drop-in LED replacements for halogens unless you want to be that asshole blinding everyone, the headlight is designed for light to be coming from a (really quite) small filament wire. LED's can't match for spot brightness so they stick a lot more leds on the module, which then puts light sources in the wrong place for the reflector to properly direct onto the road so it goes everywhere it's not supposed to.

Factory LED headlights have completely different reflector designs so they direct the light properly.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Dude I don't think I have changed a single light bulb in a car since cars went to HID's in the early 2000's.

Are people still doing this?

• 2Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Dude I don't think I have changed a single light bulb in a car since cars went to HID's in the early 2000's.

Are people still doing this?

Well, when you normally buy cars that are 10+ years old and hold on to them for as long as their worth maintaining, they normally don't come with those. The 05 Civic and 19 Fit are the only cars I've ever owned that were even built after 2000.

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Rant time on:

Outside of the Jeep Wrangler and the Lada Niva, it seems that most other jeeps (I use the generic term here) have all mutated into luxury brand vehicles. At least it seems so to me. By that I mean in my view, a "real" jeep is a 4x4 vehicle that when you see it you know it's supposed to be put to more strenuous use than parking illegally on the pavement or handicapped zone. Yet they all seem to be these dainty, highly polished cars. Take the old vs new Landrover Defender:

old:
1693320720432.png

New:
1693320748317.png

The old one is a type of rugged car that looks better if it is a bit beat up, dirty, with a few dents in it. The hinges are on the outside, and everything just shouts "I am meant to go off road and explore the world". The new one, by contrast, looks far to "posh" to be seen dirty, let alone dented and scraped after one too many encounters with a stray branch or rock.

So I was wondering if any others have noticed this. Also, apart from the two cars mentioned above, are there any more rugged 4x4s that look (and act) like they're built for having fun off road rather than dropping the kids off at school?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
If you want a real basic jeep, the Mahindra Roxor is a budget friendly option with the significant downside of not being street legal.

2019-mahindra-roxor-1565618856.jpg

They are a pretty popular alternative to UTVs around here.

• 2Like

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
If you want a real basic jeep, the Mahindra Roxor is a budget friendly option with the significant downside of not being street legal.

2019-mahindra-roxor-1565618856.jpg

They are a pretty popular alternative to UTVs around here.
Lol didnt know a tractor company branched out.

All these sporty UTV prices are outrageous. Been kinda wanting a small basic vehicle for mostly just moving me but sometimes be nice to haul at least a box of tools or something a measly 1/4 miles around my 5 acres to save on back and forth walking when I forget something etc. I've used my riding mower for some stuff since it's got a hitch and a middle sized gorilla wagon, but was leaning towards something electric so I can always jump and go, then sit it until I'm done and come back. My fear with a lot of gas stuff is either it's a pain to get the mower out of the shop, or that I'm going to be rough on engines wanting to run them a minute or two, and stop, then a minute or two , and then sit ad nauseum without running them endlessly.

Even considered like a tiny electric dirt bike, though wouldn't help if one hand is holding much of anything. Saw an electric mini trucklet thing on facebook sale with 2 bench seats for like 8k , but was leary even w/ a "new battery" since I've seen the government electric egg pod vehicles completely rust out and suspension fail even in a dry state.

• 1Like