Car ?'s

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
UTV prices are totally out of hand, especially since the reliability is crap on all of them. They're really handy though. When ours are in the shop (which they are often) you should hear people crying about not being able to use them.

I'm curious about the electric bikes too. I've had some hunters bring them out and they seem pretty cool for running around. Of course the downside is that you can't carry anything or bring your dog.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
UTV prices are totally out of hand, especially since the reliability is crap on all of them. They're really handy though. When ours are in the shop (which they are often) you should hear people crying about not being able to use them.

I'm curious about the electric bikes too. I've had some hunters bring them out and they seem pretty cool for running around. Of course the downside is that you can't carry anything or bring your dog.
Retired Coastie in the neighborhood has an electric 3 wheel bike. Hauls ass all around town in it. Much faster than I would have thought.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There are a bunch of options like this around:

Neat, but for hobby farm (losing money) and just minor convenience, probably way more than I'd want to spend. Like depending what we are talking about (used /new little tiny quad /scooter/bigger vehicle etc) was hoping 5k or under is about what I might justify.

Most anything serious I still have the truck/mower afterall.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Rant time on:

Outside of the Jeep Wrangler and the Lada Niva, it seems that most other jeeps (I use the generic term here) have all mutated into luxury brand vehicles. At least it seems so to me. By that I mean in my view, a "real" jeep is a 4x4 vehicle that when you see it you know it's supposed to be put to more strenuous use than parking illegally on the pavement or handicapped zone. Yet they all seem to be these dainty, highly polished cars. Take the old vs new Landrover Defender:

old:
View attachment 488532
New:
View attachment 488533

The old one is a type of rugged car that looks better if it is a bit beat up, dirty, with a few dents in it. The hinges are on the outside, and everything just shouts "I am meant to go off road and explore the world". The new one, by contrast, looks far to "posh" to be seen dirty, let alone dented and scraped after one too many encounters with a stray branch or rock.

So I was wondering if any others have noticed this. Also, apart from the two cars mentioned above, are there any more rugged 4x4s that look (and act) like they're built for having fun off road rather than dropping the kids off at school?
It’s what most of the market wants/expects

• 1Tiresome
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Wonder if this shares well, this is the lil shit I saw.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Accept The Answer GIF by NETFLIX

Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 22-08-13 motorcycle truck - Google Shopping.png

Sludig

I dont completely hate it though a few of those websites trying to pretend that's a temporary sale price.

Go really big, and try some direct from china for $1k (and I'd think some suprise shipping fee's additional)

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>

Seems like the usual price checking a few US dealers.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So uncle of my wife was at her brothers birthday a month or so ago. He mentioned he had his moms (Wifes grandmas, RIP) old 2002 ford Tarus he wanted to get rid of. The battery was dead and he just didnt want to deal with it anymore since he didnt need 2 vehicles anyway. So im thinking cool car for one of my kids. No rust on body, gartage kept, interior clean as a whistle and 85K miles on it. He wanted $400 for it, lol.

Anyway we go to his house to pick it up, do the deal, get a new battery in it and it starts up but sputtering and idling kinda rough. He said the thing had not driven in about a year and change. So we take off and about 2 miles down the road, I go to pass someone, step on the gas and the thing literally dies. I just had enough momentum to pull in a parking lot, thank god. Got it towed the next day to my house for $170.

So im thinking fuel pump, fuel filter? Something along those lines. He also mentioned the gas tank had a leak in it. So I ordered a new tank along with a new fuel pump sender unit, straps, all that jazz, about $250.
Bolts holding the tank straps were corroded to all hells, one came off with a bolt removal tool, the other one we had to grind off. But got the tank out. Turns out the leak was in the seam. 20 something years in MI winters I guess will do that.

Took all the BS off the old tank (sensors and shit) and installed it on the new one and just waiting for a new connector hose from tank to filler tube. Im thinking for $20 why not change it out, the old one was ratty as hell.

So thats where were at right now. Will update with progress maybe next week when we put the new tank on. All in all it was pretty simple job aside the stupid bolts holding the strap. Prob would cost about $1500-$2000 to get the shit fixed in a shop.
Resized_20230828_182329_615366851941971.jpegResized_20230828_182331_615358952996974.jpeg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I dont completely hate it though a few of those websites trying to pretend that's a temporary sale price.

Go really big, and try some direct from china for $1k (and I'd think some suprise shipping fee's additional)
car channel did that, a 2k truck ended up being 8k after everything

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I considered a Roxor because they deemed pretty neat for an off-road toy but not at THIRTY FUCKING FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS fully loaded.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I considered a Roxor because they deemed pretty neat for an off-road toy but not at THIRTY FUCKING FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS fully loaded.

It seems like a lot until you compare it with every other option for something similar. Polaris Rangers and John Deere Gators etc. can easily hit $35K fully loaded.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It seems like a lot until you compare it with every other option for something similar. Polaris Rangers and John Deere Gators etc. can easily hit $35K fully loaded.
Yes and I'm not buying those for the same reason.

In 1985 a CJ7 cost about 8800. That's 25000 today just on straight inflation. You're saying a Jeep based on a late 40s Willies is 10K more expensive when equipped like a Jeep from the 80s? We've gone backwards in manufacturing efficiency and techniques?

Nope fuck that noise.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Yes and I'm not buying those for the same reason.

In 1985 a CJ7 cost about 8800. That's 25000 today just on straight inflation. You're saying a Jeep based on a late 40s Willies is 10K more expensive when equipped like a Jeep from the 80s? We've gone backwards in manufacturing efficiency and techniques?

Nope fuck that noise.

That '85 CJ7 probably didn't have a hard top or air conditioning or automatic transmission either. The $20k base model is a better comparison than the fully loaded model.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
New Can Am R thingy side-by-side can MSRP up to $61,000. It’s just stupid.

• 1WTF

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LOL its brand new. Only older parts on there are the cleaned up tubes and sensors. I took it out of the box and it was just a convenient well lit place to do it.