Car ?'s

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
In a month or two I'll be getting a newer car. Only requirement is that it sits 5 relatively comfortably. Most likely I will go an SUV with a 3rd row seat or something I can fit 3 teens in the back in relative comfort. Looking at Kia BMW and a few other brands that ave a 3rd row will drag the kids shopping so that I can check the comfort level. Not going minivan I've had one for 14 yrs . The extra large suvs like a suburban are out...too big.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Anyone have experience talking car salesmen down? I obviously know 99% of what they tell you is bullshit. Looking to get a new Honda, and the guys telling me he can only go about $1000 under the msrp. I'm looking to buy very quickly, and plan to pay it off in 4 years... I want to talk off another $1000 and get all weather mats and remote start. What're the chances I can make that happen?

If you have Geico or any major bank they have a car buying service or you can use truecar.com. Pretty much you put in what you want with options and check it out and they will send you the numbers/see the numbers right there. Just be aware though once you submit your info the dealers will call and email you quickly. I have yet to find a way to get a better price. Also if you want to finance a car get it before you even go to the dealership. You can do a no credit pre-approval from Captial One as an example. You already know what you are being offered before dealing with dealerships. If you don't get your financed % and amount before going, it's in the dealers hands. You could qualify for 3.5% as an example, but they will come back and say " We got you approved for 6%" or whatever. They just take that extra % they marked up and you won't even notice it.

I did the truevalue for my Mustang and for the Santa Fa Sport we just picked up. Easy stuff and checking on other forums of what other people paid for it really shows a great deal.

In a month or two I'll be getting a newer car. Only requirement is that it sits 5 relatively comfortably. Most likely I will go an SUV with a 3rd row seat or something I can fit 3 teens in the back in relative comfort. Looking at Kia BMW and a few other brands that ave a 3rd row will drag the kids shopping so that I can check the comfort level. Not going minivan I've had one for 14 yrs . The extra large suvs like a suburban are out...too big.

We just picked up a Santa Fa Sport Ultimate 2.0t. It looks pretty damn nice and the inside is pretty good too. The lady told me it made her Mercedes (2013) interior seem like an old dinosaur. Not sure how big the kids are, but I think even teens would sit 3 wide in the back ok. If anything go to a Hyundai website and get the free $40 gift card just to test drive it. I totally recommend even looking at it.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Will look at that. my kids are 16.5 and 13.5 13.5 (twins b/g).

We rented a Kia Sorento a 2 years ago for a few weeks and it was pretty good driving (drove about 3000 miles)

Been driving a Dodge caravan (2005 model) since Aug of 2004.

Car I want to get/drool over is an old 68 Mustang. Love that look but alas...

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Any useful add-ons to put on a car?

Just recent put a backup camera. Didn't have an onscreen dash, so just hooked it up on a repkacent backup mirror.

Live in is, so like zero need to parallel park (already losing skills), she just likes to backup into the garage.

We also hang the tennisballs in the garage for guidance (actually little kirbies).

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Getting an onscreen dash is as easy as replacing the radio esp if you have a double slot radio.

My son's suv- chevy trailblazer- i replaced the stock radio with a kenwood touchscreen and hooked up a backup camera ( camera 20 bucks & wireless transmitter~20 bucks @amazon ) to it. Works great. Spliced the camera/transmitter wiring into the backup light wiring for powering the camera and transmitter . Once I put the car into reverse, the camera comes on and the radio display switches to the camera, put car in drive and it switches back to radio and camera turns off.

Hardest part was getting the wiring done and the speakers to work - the trailblazer has an amp that is not mentioned in the documentation that you have to power (blue wire on harness think the wire was labeled pwr antenna)

Last edited:

Siliconemelons

This really depends on what row you want the kids to use and if you want any usable space in the back with the 3rd row up for anything other than a small trip to the store.

How fancy do you want and how much is a factor... not caring about new new- off hand I would say a used Buick Enclave or a 2013+ Mercedes GL 350 diesel (2013 was refresh interior and out- go down to 2012 and the price drops alot...but I dunno if there is a diesel and the MPGs on gas kinda suck)

Both of those let normal humans in the 3rd row and can carry decent stuff still in the back with the 3rd row up.

I have a QX60 and the 3rd row is not that bad - teens could do it- but limited storage with it up. It's a Nissan pathfinder, and u can get those for a decent price used.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Okay. So I was rear ended last night. Decent chance insurance totals the truck. I bought this truck a couple of years ago when I was struggling financially. The lady who hit me didn't have insurance. I was stopped she was doing at least 30. Bed is fucked as is bumper. Thats what I could tell at night with only a flashlight

As I said. I was sturggling financially when I bought the truck. This lead to 2 stupid decisions.

1. My entire purpose to buying the truck was the fact that my kia was having mechanical problems. Tell tale signs of impending engine failure per a mechanic friend. I ended up decently upside down. Even more now than when I bought the truck 2 years ago due to depreciation happening faster than my payoff of negative equity.

2. I was trying to keep the payment as low as possible so I skipped gap insurance.

If they total the truck then I have the feeling I'm going to be on the hook for a decent chunk of change. Now ...using my payoff ammount and blue book as a guide..I do have the cash to cut the check for the difference thank god.

However....I think its horseshit that some neglectful bitch who wants to drive a fucking infinity but be irresponsible and not keep that shit insured, then plow into a fucking fullsize truck sitting still in deadlock traffic hard enough to drop her engine onto the highway is costing me that chunk of change.

I know I am stupid for not getting gap when going upside down so we can skip my stupid points...I get it..I fucked up back then...but do I have any practical way of avoiding having to write that check if they decide to total it?

I dont want a payday. I dont really want to come after this chick in court. If my truck is totaled my ideal is just walking away clean. Not getting a dime not owing a dime.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
It baffles me every time how it is possible that you guys get let on the road without insurance. If I hit someone's car today, my insurance pays a) to repair the damage and b) value depreciation or whatever you call it because cars with accidents are worth less.

I'm not touching your GAP insurance because the car being worth less is not your fault. You were going to happily drive it until it's paid off, rendering GAP insurance useless. Then Mrs. Infinity here rear-ends you and destroys the American Dream.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
It baffles me every time how it is possible that you guys get let on the road without insurance. If I hit someone's car today, my insurance pays a) to repair the damage and b) value depreciation or whatever you call it because cars with accidents are worth less.

I'm not touching your GAP insurance because the car being worth less is not your fault. You were going to happily drive it until it's paid off, rendering GAP insurance useless. Then Mrs. Infinity here rear-ends you and destroys the American Dream.
How do you stop someone from getting on the road without insurance? It's not legal, but you can't stop someone from doing it. That said, the punishments for it should be more severe.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
On the upside, most people who will hit you with no insurance also have no money so don't bother suing them. I think the only way you can keep real committed alcoholics from drinking and driving is to put them in jail. You hear about people getting their 9th or 10th DUI all the time. They have no license, they're totally uninsurable, but they're still out driving.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
How do you stop someone from getting on the road without insurance? It's not legal, but you can't stop someone from doing it. That said, the punishments for it should be more severe.
Oh alright. Silly me assumed that's a rather common occurence. I look like an idiot now.

Over here here when you have no insurance you can't get the car registered. So you'd have to have stolen plates. If you register your car and later stop paying insurance, the dmv gets noticed and the plates come off or the little sticker on the plate gets scratched off. So every cop within a three mile radius sees if you have insurance or not. Still won't stop people from being people I guess.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Oh alright. Silly me assumed that's a rather common occurence. I look like an idiot now.

Over here here when you have no insurance you can't get the car registered. So you'd have to have stolen plates. If you register your car and later stop paying insurance, the dmv gets noticed and the plates come off or the little sticker on the plate gets scratched off. So every cop within a three mile radius sees if you have insurance or not. Still won't stop people from being people I guess.
It's too common here, but most people are insured. That said, I think you can register a car without having insurance in the states(I've never not had insurance, so I'm not certain) and there is no outside indication that you have insurance for police to see. I would 100% support that though.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
It's too common here, but most people are insured. That said, I think you can register a car without having insurance in the states(I've never not had insurance, so I'm not certain) and there is no outside indication that you have insurance for police to see. I would 100% support that though.

Texas requires a minimum level of liability insurance to register a car. Unfortunately, it is excessively easy to go buy a 30 day minimum liability policy for 19 bucks.

A5150Ylee

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Okay. So I was rear ended last night. Decent chance insurance totals the truck. I bought this truck a couple of years ago when I was struggling financially. The lady who hit me didn't have insurance. I was stopped she was doing at least 30. Bed is fucked as is bumper. Thats what I could tell at night with only a flashlight

As I said. I was sturggling financially when I bought the truck. This lead to 2 stupid decisions.

1. My entire purpose to buying the truck was the fact that my kia was having mechanical problems. Tell tale signs of impending engine failure per a mechanic friend. I ended up decently upside down. Even more now than when I bought the truck 2 years ago due to depreciation happening faster than my payoff of negative equity.

2. I was trying to keep the payment as low as possible so I skipped gap insurance.

If they total the truck then I have the feeling I'm going to be on the hook for a decent chunk of change. Now ...using my payoff ammount and blue book as a guide..I do have the cash to cut the check for the difference thank god.

However....I think its horseshit that some neglectful bitch who wants to drive a fucking infinity but be irresponsible and not keep that shit insured, then plow into a fucking fullsize truck sitting still in deadlock traffic hard enough to drop her engine onto the highway is costing me that chunk of change.

I know I am stupid for not getting gap when going upside down so we can skip my stupid points...I get it..I fucked up back then...but do I have any practical way of avoiding having to write that check if they decide to total it?

I dont want a payday. I dont really want to come after this chick in court. If my truck is totaled my ideal is just walking away clean. Not getting a dime not owing a dime.

Please realize that insurance coverage is a business contract, and terms and settlement can be negotiated to make sure you are happy. Your insurance should cover the 'replacement' cost of your vehicle. So rather than taking the blue book value of your truck and looking for a replacement on your own, make the insurance company broker your replacement truck. Instead of taking the cash payout, you can make them find replacement vehicles in comparable shape, then payout the cost to acquire it.

My truck got rear-ended, the insurance company offered me $8k to fix it myself. I said no, and they could rent me a truck while mine was in the shop and they paid a reputable garage to fix everything. I had the rental for 9 weeks at their expense, and the repairs cost them $19k in the end. But hey, I got my truck back where I was happy with the work and nothing out of pocket.

If they start to give you shit for trying to negotiate, just look them dead in the eye and say "I'm the victim here, why should I have to pay?" usually that is enough to make them do the right thing.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Please realize that insurance coverage is a business contract, and terms and settlement can be negotiated to make sure you are happy. Your insurance should cover the 'replacement' cost of your vehicle. So rather than taking the blue book value of your truck and looking for a replacement on your own, make the insurance company broker your replacement truck. Instead of taking the cash payout, you can make them find replacement vehicles in comparable shape, then payout the cost to acquire it.

My truck got rear-ended, the insurance company offered me $8k to fix it myself. I said no, and they could rent me a truck while mine was in the shop and they paid a reputable garage to fix everything. I had the rental for 9 weeks at their expense, and the repairs cost them $19k in the end. But hey, I got my truck back where I was happy with the work and nothing out of pocket.

If they start to give you shit for trying to negotiate, just look them dead in the eye and say "I'm the victim here, why should I have to pay?" usually that is enough to make them do the right thing.

^ This my friend is an auto adjuster for 20+ yrs he says this all the time. Getting you to agree to less than you are entitled to always their opening move. They know exactly what they are required to cover, you want to stop them from fucking with you? Just ask them to read to you the coverage of your contract and say 'yes I want all that, I paid for it'

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Well. Got in wreck on Thursday. Its Tuesday and the adjuster is finally scheduled to be out sometime today.

I'm begining to like progressive less and less. The damn call center claims manager chick said "they'll be out Monday. But I suggest not dropping your truck off til Monday so it doesnt sit at a body shop over the weekend." So I drop it off yesterday and call to find out what happened and she says "oh. They dont come out same day. They'll be out tomorrow"

Why the Fuck didnt she tell me taking her suggestion would delay shit by a day?

I mean. Its A day. I dont really care about one day...I just feel slightly mislead and its frustrating when I took off a few hours of work to get it dropped off.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
..and frame damage. I got a fucking text, not a phone call, from the insurance adjuster saying "oh, we'll fix it, fuck it"...No dollar amount assigned, no speaking to anyone..I'm having a bad day, so I'm pissed but I'm not gonna stand for keeping me out of the loop.

This shit is pissing me off.

A5150Ylee

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
..and frame damage. I got a fucking text, not a phone call, from the insurance adjuster saying "oh, we'll fix it, fuck it"...No dollar amount assigned, no speaking to anyone..I'm having a bad day, so I'm pissed but I'm not gonna stand for keeping me out of the loop.

This shit is pissing me off.

If there is frame damage and they are going to fix it and not replace it, make sure you start talking about your "diminished value" payout. If they just need to replace the broken parts, it's no big deal. When they need to start bending the car back into shape, you won't get shit for it when you go to sell it. So you need to get that difference in sale price now as part of the claim.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Do NOT let them tell you "we repaired it to its original condition, so there is no need for diminished value" like GEICO attempted with me.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I got rear ended by a van going 50mph while I was sitting still while the car in front of me turned. Anyway it turned my truck into a taco where the middle part of the bed was higher than the roofline due to a bent frame. Insurance company wanted to "fix" it even tho truck was only a few months old. The "approved" body shop said they couldn't fix it and eventually insurance paid out. I'm not sure other shops would have done anything other than "we'll fix it and it will be crap", but luckily they stepped up. Never hurts to have connections tho. The insurance paid for the guy who hit me paid for the truck, lost couple of days off work, rental, and various other stuff. They kind of threw cash at me to avoid being sued I think, and people wonder why insurance is high. Even the rep for their insurance when I met him was "that's all?"

Will say my '90 Nissan 4wd truck help up really well. Was cop in front of me and he said he was expecting me to be dead. I slid with seat basically into the footwell and nothing happened but the truck was just gone.