Car ?'s

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Anyway, back to the discussion at hand: the market for new and used is bad right now. If you can wait, I'd suggest doing so until quarter 2 of next year. Its the same for houses, watches, boats, etc. When things do settle, get what makes you smile and enjoy driving. However, I do second your comment about the Focus RS; its a car for teens even though its too expensive for teens.

Yea I don't have to buy right now - I've got a boring ass Kia Soul that is 100% paid for already and works just fine, I'm just sick of it really.

I was hoping to see this nonsense in the car market let up by the end of the year, but you may be right that it'll be significantly longer than that unfortunately.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
I was hoping to see this nonsense in the car market let up by the end of the year, but you may be right that it'll be significantly longer than that unfortunately.
Whole world has gone off the rails. If you really want to have a WTF moment, price moving costs.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Lol, maybe

I think procrastinating about the excursion ended up being a good thing, I really need a damn truck.

But want to go as far back as possible, less crap to break etc.

New diesels are hot garbage.

Might settle on the 7.3L diesels
I owned a 2018 Ford F250 diesel. I had a chronic sense of paranoia with that truck, even though it never malfunctioned.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Don't knock the eocboost until you try it. It doesn't sound all that manly, but it gets up and goes.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yea I don't have to buy right now - I've got a boring ass Kia Soul that is 100% paid for already and works just fine, I'm just sick of it really.

Used sports cars go down in price in the winter months and peek in the summer. Even in the current inflated market, this should hold true.

If you are not in a rush, you can usually find a good deal, eventually. Pick the models you are interested in, and record them as you find them on a spread sheet. Six months to a year of that, and you should be able to know whats a good deal, and what isn't.

How old is too old? A 10 year old Porsche or Corvette is going to be more fun to drive than an Camaro/Mustang/Challenger. If you buy from a southern state (or a garage queen), the reliability will be similar.

For example: Here is a 2016 Corvette with 35k miles that just sold for $46,000. Similar car should be under 45k in Jan/Feb. Without knowing the market, this could even be on the high side.

A Porsche will handle even better, but to get in the price range, you would probably need to go into 2000 to 2010 models (from a quick looks at the enthusiast site, Rennlist.com). If time is on your side, you may be able to just wait for that good deal to come along and get something from 2014+.

I tried to look up BMW prices, but 4 door cars aren't serious sports cars, so I was lost on what line to look at (4 and 8 series?). They have way too many models and options that all look alike.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
M240i seems to be the sweet spot when it comes to sporty BMW, every reviewer I trust raves about it. Haven't personally driven it although I have driven the 4 series with the same engine and it's a fantastic unit, heaps of torque and it sounds great. New model of these just came out so now might be a good time to get a deal on the older one (which is the one in the vid below). Can be had with stick, rear drive or 4wd. The BMW 4wd system is really good, I had it on a 5 series. It permanently powers the rear axle and then it with a variable slip clutch it can add some power to the front when needed. All that means it handles almost exactly like a RWD car does, nothing like the FWD bias systems some other cars use.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Used sports cars go down in price in the winter months and peek in the summer. Even in the current inflated market, this should hold true.

If you are not in a rush, you can usually find a good deal, eventually. Pick the models you are interested in, and record them as you find them on a spread sheet. Six months to a year of that, and you should be able to know whats a good deal, and what isn't.

How old is too old? A 10 year old Porsche or Corvette is going to be more fun to drive than an Camaro/Mustang/Challenger. If you buy from a southern state (or a garage queen), the reliability will be similar.

For example: Here is a 2016 Corvette with 35k miles that just sold for $46,000. Similar car should be under 45k in Jan/Feb. Without knowing the market, this could even be on the high side.

A Porsche will handle even better, but to get in the price range, you would probably need to go into 2000 to 2010 models (from a quick looks at the enthusiast site, Rennlist.com). If time is on your side, you may be able to just wait for that good deal to come along and get something from 2014+.

I tried to look up BMW prices, but 4 door cars aren't serious sports cars, so I was lost on what line to look at (4 and 8 series?). They have way too many models and options that all look alike.

Yea part of the issue currently is I have no indoor parking available and live in Chicago, so buying anything "flashier" than something at the Mustant/Camero level is likely to have crime-related issues just parking on the street overnight.

Realistically until my living situation changes and I have a garage spot available someplace my best option is likely going to be something like a Golf-R or similar - reasonably fun to drive while still being relatively practical, and it doesn't look like anything particularly fancy from the outside really.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

The Porsche market is a deep, dark rabbit hole in the best of times. Mid 2020 to now its absolutely insane. The GT cars from the 997 and 991 generations are selling for 20-50% OVER sticker price, used. If you want a 997.2 (10-12 years old) you're paying $140k to $170k for the Non-RS and $200k-$300k for an RS, depending on miles and spec and color. I don't follow some of the other model lines, but I do know even the GTS 911s are going for over sticker used, if they're manuals. However, that said, a Cayman S or a 911 2s are both amazing sports cars, tons of fun, reliable, and could be had under $80k

As for M cars being sports cars; I'd only classify the M2, M4, and M3 (yes, its 4 door) as sports cars. The other models are full-sized luxury rocket ships, or their weird, over-priced hybrids (i8). Again, best car of the 3 would be the M2 Competition; bang for the buck fun.

Given prices, the market, perceived needs, and location (circumstantial), I'd suggest ronne ronne goes for a 5.0 Mustang, an SS Camaro, or a well maintained C6Z or C6 Grand Sport.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Bought an M550i, 2021 Phytonic Blue Ivory Napa Interior - this is an absolutely killer sports sedan. Perhaps the best I've owned? The 8 cylinder engine is excellent and the fit and finish of the interior is better than most of the more recent Bimmers I've owned. Really pleased with the car, taking it up to Vail for Oktoberfest and fly fishing in a few weeks to put it through its paces (going to hit Pikes Peak and Independence Pass). Not sure how many more ICE BMW is going to make going forward, reckon they'll spend the majority of their R&D budget on electric vehicles and the 8 cyl engines will become a relic pretty soon.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
If looking at new, back to the tesla for performance. Even the Long Range model will beat the pants of a Mustang GT. Unless you like rowing the gears, but you really should give it a test drive. Only thing that sucks is road trips. Daily driving I will probably never go back to gas.

Are Tesla 3's full electric or can they switch over to gas as a backup?

Because 400 miles on a full charge or not, you need gas backup if you plan on ever taking a major road trip. The infrastructure just isn't there for charging.

I set up an outlet in the basement so I can charge a car. I'm definitely getting an electric/hybrid for my next one and probably within the next six months or so. Jury's still out on Teslas though.

• 1Seriously?

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
All Tesla models are full electric.
Hybrid is the worst of both worlds. Why carry a combustion engine, fuel tank, exhaust, and all the other stuff, all while limiting yourself to a 30mi battery.

„The infrastructure just isn‘t there“

I dunno about the USA but take a look at Supercharger | Tesla
(Tesla only)

and
(All BEV including Tesla)

Or try playing around with A Better Routeplanner

I say it‘s there.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Lol, maybe

I think procrastinating about the excursion ended up being a good thing, I really need a damn truck.

But want to go as far back as possible, less crap to break etc.

New diesels are hot garbage.

Might settle on the 7.3L diesels
Get yourself something pre 2010 urea. I have a 08 Silverado 2500 duramax with 120k miles on it. Great truck for towing - used to tow 16k lbs worth of boat with it.

Ya new Ford diesels suck ass. Even the older ones - was it the 6 L or some shit that had engine issues where they had to take the entire cab off the frame to get to engine to fix it or some shit

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Anybody tried the new Ford 7.3L gas engine? I'm maybe buying a new pickup next year and I'm pretty intrigued by it. I would like to have a diesel but it just chaps my ass paying $10,000 more so I don't have to drop down to 45mph the 15 times a year I pull a heavy trailer up a big hill.
Do diesel - you’ll never go back.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
The current and prior generations of Mustang have BAD manuals in them. They are chinese made. The GT350 has a proper Tremec, but that's a much more expensive car. If you're not going to race the car or mod it for more power, you'd probably be OK.

Current generation Camaro is also a really good bang-for-the-buck option. Solid internals, a breeze to mod, performs really well. Looks are subjective.

Challenger can still be had in a manual (another beefy Tremec) but they are rare and the car is MUCH heavier than the Mustang or Camaro. Still a great cruiser though and if you get the 6.4 its got plenty of power (5.7 is a bit weak for the 4,400 pound weight and 6.2 Hellcat is $70K or more).

Next year the new Nissan Z will come out with 400hp and a manual as standard. Starting around $40k-$45k.
If you don't need brand new, you could go for a C6 or C7 Corvette Grand Sport.
I sold my 2017 M3 with 26,000 miles for $49,000. If you can find one, you might get in it for $45,000 (2015-2020 models).
Despite all of these, I'd probably pick a 2017-2020 M2 Competition with a manual.
That new Nissan z looks SLICK. Hasn’t Nissan QC gone down the shitter tho over the past 10 years?

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Get yourself something pre 2010 urea. I have a 08 Silverado 2500 duramax with 120k miles on it. Great truck for towing - used to tow 16k lbs worth of boat with it.

Ya new Ford diesels suck ass. Even the older ones - was it the 6 L or some shit that had engine issues where they had to take the entire cab off the frame to get to engine to fix it or some shit

6L just needs EGR delete, hpop, and heads.

Maybe your are thinking of the 6.7

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
6L just needs EGR delete, hpop, and heads.

Maybe your are thinking of the 6.7
Whatever engine they had back in 08ish. Honestly can’t beat the duramax and Allison combo - weakest link is the Chevrolet portion.