Car ?'s

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Got a car with 100k miles on it. Haven't driven it since WFH started and there were some expensive repairs looming, so we've decided to get rid of it. Sell it?(doubtful). Junk it? Donate it? This is the first time I'm getting rid of a car in which the dealership didn't kinda sorta handle that for us.

I know I gotta return the plates and take the car off insurance. Am I forgetting anything else? Car won't start, likely dead battery, FWIW.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Tech package/trim level differences?
You can get same package for less brand new. Thats the wtf part.
Go try to buy a new one. Local Honda store has TWO new cars on the lot. Subaru: 0.
Autotrader shows 10 or so brand new 2021 Tacomas of varying packages for sale right now in the Phoenix area, with a few the same as that used listing.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Got a car with 100k miles on it. Haven't driven it since WFH started and there were some expensive repairs looming, so we've decided to get rid of it. Sell it?(doubtful). Junk it? Donate it? This is the first time I'm getting rid of a car in which the dealership didn't kinda sorta handle that for us.

I know I gotta return the plates and take the car off insurance. Am I forgetting anything else? Car won't start, likely dead battery, FWIW.
Donate it to charity and you can take the tax write-off.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

try opening the little holes and filling it to the lip w/ distilled water and charging with a noco
e27747a64551cad9af3831f630531046.png

NOCO GENIUS5, 5-Amp Fully-Automatic Smart Charger, 6V and 12V Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer, Trickle Charger, and Battery Desulfator with Temperature Compensation

while its not cheap it should bring that dead battery back to life and keep your other batteries topped off (as long as you keep it filled with distilled water) so it'll pay for itself.

i'm still using 5yr old car batteries from when i first moved to ks, i had to buy new ones for both cars cuz the cold cranking amps weren't enough for the ks winter, but i haven't replaced them since. (and i revived both batteries at least 2x, cuz of covid lock down there wasn't any driving to be done)

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

You won’t get much, but they’ll get it out of your way.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You can get same package for less brand new. Thats the wtf part.

Autotrader shows 10 or so brand new 2021 Tacomas of varying packages for sale right now in the Phoenix area, with a few the same as that used listing.
The problem is there isn’t a supply of new ones. Subaru sent me their monthly “check out how low you can get into a new car” email. I clicked it, built a turbo outback, get finished. Inventory =0. Spread out to other dealerships, same thing. So if you want a new car you have to order it, wait an undetermined amount of time. So used are going for more than new. I was watching used civic R prices for a while, it was usually new $34k, used $29-31. A couple months ago it changed to used $42-44k...

Its fucking dumb but the market is just fucked.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
The problem is there isn’t a supply of new ones. Subaru sent me their monthly “check out how low you can get into a new car” email. I clicked it, built a turbo outback, get finished. Inventory =0. Spread out to other dealerships, same thing. So if you want a new car you have to order it, wait an undetermined amount of time. So used are going for more than new. I was watching used civic R prices for a while, it was usually new $34k, used $29-31. A couple months ago it changed to used $42-44k...

Its fucking dumb but the market is just fucked.

Have a used car that’s not essential, sell that shit now. Best time in the world to get rid of a used car you no longer need. Have a friend who has a 2012 dodge all jacked up and loaded with every rednecks dream. It wasn’t his daily driver, it was worth at best $18,000 and he sold it for $27,000. Said he was planning to wait until the used market comes back down to earth and start over.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Have a used car that’s not essential, sell that shit now. Best time in the world to get rid of a used car you no longer need. Have a friend who has a 2012 dodge all jacked up and loaded with every rednecks dream. It wasn’t his daily driver, it was worth at best $18,000 and he sold it for $27,000. Said he was planning to wait until the used market comes back down to earth and start over.
I bought my CPO BMW almost 4 years ago for 24k. Put 70k miles on it. Traded it in for over $16k this week. Clown world. But I'll take it.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I decided to sell my charger.

Just a base model, but should net cash

Then buying a 20yr old diesel

• 1Solidarity

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I bought my CPO BMW almost 4 years ago for 24k. Put 70k miles on it. Traded it in for over $16k this week. Clown world. But I'll take it.
wierdly the mercedes dealership wants to even trade me a 2016 for a 2017 or 2018. oor give me enough for the car i have to basically make trading up to a 2021 cost 4k. clown world indeed.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
wierdly the mercedes dealership wants to even trade me a 2016 for a 2017 or 2018. oor give me enough for the car i have to basically make trading up to a 2021 cost 4k. clown world indeed.
That’s a pretty easy decision.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Picked up my Tesla yesterday. Damn but the car makes me feel like an idiot. So much to learn. The intelligent air suspension is crazy. I can go back and see the notes where it raised or lowered the suspension while driving to adjust for the best possible ride. I used to think manual transmissions were the most complex cars could get.

• 1Worf

Rais

Trakanon Raider
My mother has a pristine condition 2004 Honda S2000. She wants to sell it to Carvana. They offered her 20k for it. I live in LA and will be moving soon. The thought of buying it from her and storing it away in a future garage I will own and sell it fr 40k in 10 years is pulling at me.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I just looked online to see what my 2011 F-150 is worth. I paid $20k for it 3 years ago and now people are asking $23-26k for ones just like it. If I had an old beater to drive I'd be tempted to sell it, wait a year, and then buy a newer model to replace it.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Looks like used pistas are in the upper 400k range. Mines a 19. Guess I’ll keep it. Have a 08 duramax 2500 that I could probably get a ton for rn 🤔

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I just looked online to see what my 2011 F-150 is worth. I paid $20k for it 3 years ago and now people are asking $23-26k for ones just like it. If I had an old beater to drive I'd be tempted to sell it, wait a year, and then buy a newer model to replace it.
Thank you inflation. If my Tacoma didnt have hail damage and the paint wasnt shot I could easily get what I paid for it in 2009. Now I can probably only pull 10-12k.

• 1Like