Car ?'s

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Make sure it wasnt cross threaded by some lube monkey that did the last service on it. I saw a diff plug that got started wrong and just impact wrenched when it refused to hand thread anymore.
yea it came out smooth, and lookin at the threads there wasn't any threadlocker or anything on it, and putting in the new diff plug, screwed on fine. I'm sure the prev oil guy fucked it up, i said it was "stripped" finally from the jack, however when i started it was already starting to strip as i could barely fit the hex8 socket in the fill (i tried to clean it up on the inside too), while it fit nicely in the drain and most likely it was impacted.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I'd be sketched out by chiseling metal into a oil reservoir, I would have taken the entire thing out first.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'd be sketched out by chiseling metal into a oil reservoir, I would have taken the entire thing out first.
the plug does look pretty scary when all is said and done,

pic inc
PHOTO_20180912_054448.jpg

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Generally your sump goes to your oil filter and then to the engine. Do anything you put into the pan most likely will just sit in the bottom and stay out of the way.

But why are they murdering the torque on a hex head drain plug...

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Oh okay, I thought you were punching that fucker into the diff.

Leadsalad Leadsalad if it's in a diff (Which I thought he said) it could get pulled up into the Ring & Pinion. That's what happened to my 86 when it finally blew.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Shit, I might've considered replacing the entire differential plate if I had that much problem removing the drain plug, but then that opens up a whole bunch of other possible variables, depending on the condition of the vehicle. Though it sounds like you might have had better luck with a new plate, as those bolts likely hadn't been touched since the car was assembled, whereas the drain plug sounds like 15 retarded monkeys took turns fucking it in the bushes.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Shit, I might've considered replacing the entire differential plate if I had that much problem removing the drain plug, but then that opens up a whole bunch of other possible variables, depending on the condition of the vehicle. Though it sounds like you might have had better luck with a new plate, as those bolts likely hadn't been touched since the car was assembled, whereas the drain plug sounds like 15 retarded monkeys took turns fucking it in the bushes.
i won't lie, every 10th unsuccessful hammer swing, i'd just look at the 6 bolts holding the plate together and think... can i?

i finished the front diff last night, took a bit of yoga, the fill plug is on the passenger side, right on top of the "axel"? i removed the wheel and turned it, and still needed to put in a 1ft socket extension, but couldn't generate enough torque, so i got underneath it and stuck my hand in there and somehow managed to break it free.

the diff drain and overfill plugs are on the bottom and the were tight. i had to use the breaker and extension and then kick off with my legs on the front wheel in order to break it. (more strength in leg squat, than arm pull), man was the plug dirty.

This impreza has the specific issue where many diy guys fuck up their front diff/cvt by using the wrong fill plug. The correct fill plug is a bitch to get to (the one i did use), while the "logical" fill plug right on top of the overfill plug actually goes to cvt.

to make myself feel better, i drained it dry, then w/o putting back the drain plug i pumped some oil into the fill plug and it dripped out right from the drain plug.

With this aside from pondering if i want to change the cvt oil at 100k, and spark plugs in the next 40k, i've done all major items on the checklist for the subaru. Same for the honda, actually ever since the ATF oil change it shifts amazing from 1st to 2nd, as in i don't feel it anymore. I'm actually wondering if and when the atf was ever changed, it wasn't "nasty" when i changed out the liquid but i can't seem to find the records for the honda really.

My next car/garage purchases will be a "creeper" and a better jack. i have this $40 trolly jack, which is "ok", but it doesn't bring up the cars super high, harbor frieght has this snap on clone that everyone seems to love.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I have a low pro harbor freight jack

Bitch has been giving me service for fucking 7 years and still lifting shit like a champ

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
over a few weeks i tried

heating up the nut, this was the scariest option for me, cuz i'm right underneath the car.

How much did you heat it up? Until it was red hot or just a little bit? I've never had that fail but it is scary to heat stuff up red hot that is attached to your car. I don't use ice cubes or anything though, I just walk away from it for 15 minutes and let it cool down. If you cool it too quickly it might turn brittle or so I have heard.

You were right to skip the extractors. Those damn things barely work if the bolt isn't stuck at all. Fucking hate those things.

Get some jack stands if you're going to be doing shit under the car. They aren't expensive and dying because a jack failed is such a redneck way to go.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
How much did you heat it up? Until it was red hot or just a little bit? I've never had that fail but it is scary to heat stuff up red hot that is attached to your car. I don't use ice cubes or anything though, I just walk away from it for 15 minutes and let it cool down. If you cool it too quickly it might turn brittle or so I have heard.

You were right to skip the extractors. Those damn things barely work if the bolt isn't stuck at all. Fucking hate those things.

Get some jack stands if you're going to be doing shit under the car. They aren't expensive and dying because a jack failed is such a redneck way to go.
yea i got 4 jack stands, it's just that they can go way higher than this trolly jack can extend.

i mean i don't know if it was redhot, the one that worked, was the longest at 2mins. I was sheepishly doing 30s then 1m, 2mins was the longest i did.

i mean it actually glows red, like it came out of a forge? then no

Siliconemelons

I had to drill out my 380SL's steering wheel retaining bolt...managed not to hit any of the thread and finally got the darn thing out. It can be stressful trying to get things out without destroying it.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have this one.
impact.jpg

It has more torque than my older DeWalt plug-in version that's twice the size. Battery powered power tools are super legit these days. I'm tempted to just carry it in the pickup all the time for when I have a flat. Had to change a tire the other day with just a socket on a breaker bar and felt like such a caveman.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
maybe my next purchase should be an impact wrench, heh, my tools will just be ryobi cuz of the batteries unless someone wants to switch me over? (i'm not "super" invested in ryobi yet, just a drill/impact gun and two batteries)

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Looking at buying a used toy / baby wagon, thinking a 80-05 truck or SUV.

Want something without a ton of potential computer electronic issues.

I really like the 83 Ford trucks. But thinking I might be able to do a lot of self maintenance on an early 2000s SUV.

Also tempted to get a 2001 viper. Lol

Anyway, any really great project cars in that group?

Sold my 1998 zj Jeep, and this might be regrets and expression of that in wanting to replace our and start something.

Siliconemelons

Get the viper if you want the kids get squished by fiberglas when the backend goes out from behind you quicker than a mustang on mustang street day.

Jeep Grand Cherokees are great, but do not get 3rd gen unless its the Diesel. 2nd or 4th+ gen

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Kind of an old post but since you were just braggin anyway, it's not exactly time sensitive. When did they start offering the lifetime power train warranty? I have an 01 with 500k miles. If they offered it I know I would have bought it. Would be awesome to find out I still have some sort of warranty on the ole girl.

Kind of an old post, but it's been a rough summer.

They redesigned the Ram to it's new style in 03 I believe. I know they didn't offer it for very long, so I'm guessing 03-05. Its one of those things I was probably stoked about when I got it but I've long since forgotten about, since I just drive it every day and never worry about it. I couldn't honestly tell you and Google doesn't bring up much, but it's sure a good reason to drive that thing until its a smoking crater for me.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Any insurance recommendations? I've never really shopped around, and I feel like I'm getting hosed by a rate hike (moved across town, rate went up by almost half). I'm a little weary of the discount insurers, but does it really make a difference?