Car ?'s

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Yes it does. But there's nothing wrong with shopping around with some of the big names.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Not sure if this is the right spot to ask, but recently both our cars took some minor paint/dent damage. I've never dealt with getting a car repaired for cosmetic damage before and I want to make sure we're not getting ripped off as I generally have no idea how much shit like this costs other than paint is $$$. Is it better to go through a dealer or to find an independent shop? Will most independent shops be able to paint match stuff like the sparkly paint shit on my CRV or acquire replacement stickers for his Challenger? Are you generally allowed to just pay out of pocket for this and avoid going through insurance so our rates don't go up?

Pics for reference:
6do4knV - Imgur.jpg8mQm9lj - Imgur.jpg

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Not sure if this is the right spot to ask, but recently both our cars took some minor paint/dent damage. I've never dealt with getting a car repaired for cosmetic damage before and I want to make sure we're not getting ripped off as I generally have no idea how much shit like this costs other than paint is $$$. Is it better to go through a dealer or to find an independent shop? Will most independent shops be able to paint match stuff like the sparkly paint shit on my CRV or acquire replacement stickers for his Challenger? Are you generally allowed to just pay out of pocket for this and avoid going through insurance so our rates don't go up?

Pics for reference:
View attachment 179701View attachment 179702

Should be $800-2000.

Dealer shops are fine if you don't have that "body shop eye" for paintwork. If you don't know what I mean then don't worry about it.

Independent shops can get all the same factory parts any dealer can get.

Yes you can pay out of pocket.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I always use an independent to fix the cars my daughter wrecks. The one I keep coming back to is the guy who's willing to get parts from a junk yard because he's like half the price of the dealer shop. But I do still get quotes from the expensive guys to scare her with.

Rais

Trakanon Raider

Pics for reference:

Dealers will rip you off, and still contract the work out to a body shop they work with. Deal directly with body shops. Unless its a fucked up shop, the body shop can match the color easy. Tech has made it much easier to get right. Not saying some dumbass can't fuck it up, because they can. Just a lot easier now.

The blue car from what I can just see.
R&I= remove and reinstall R&R remove and replace (new/used parts) and OH is overhaul.

Essentially you will R&I the bumper off the car. Depending on the car, they also now have to remove the tail lights. If there are more items on the bumper they will just do a OH, meaning they just add about 1.8 hours of labor on to the estimate, paint time would be about 2 hours and 0.7 clear coat and then about 40 dollars for each paint time for paint materials.

They also have to sand down the area where the damage is, for that I would pay a body shop 0.5 hrs max for the blue car- a shop would try and argue for like 2 hrs.

If there are reflectors on the bumper and double-sided tape, they replace them since they aren't reusable. 15-30 dollars x 2

The blue car has decals. They will take them off since they are double sided with tape, and replace with new ones. 40ish dollars

.3 hours to remove the license plate.
Most shops charge a post-scan that costs about .5 labor hours due to scanning the car after disconnecting the lights if needed.
They pretty much wrap up a minor paint scuffing like yours.

I would look at about 700 dollars
It depends on what the labor rates at shops are. The main shop I deal with is around 48 labor, 48 paint, 35 paint materials. A shop that loves to commit insurance fraud and fuck people over near me charges 85 dollars labor, 60 paint, and 50 paint materials.

Remember everything is negotiable. If they say they charge 60 try and talk them down. They want your money- no different than a dealership. It never hurts to haggle.

I work for one of the major insurance companies and have to deal with shops directly. 99.7% are scum. If you have any questions you can always shoot me a PM and I can answer them.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Also for anyone who does their own car work. Use car-part.com Best way to find the cheapest parts. I use this site 90% of the time when I am doing an estimate.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BeardedWonder

Lord Nagafen Raider

Pics for reference:
I've had great luck finding independent shops for both body and mechanic work. You will have to shop/ask around but it's worth the time. As long as the paint is factory paint and not custom, most places can match the factory paint code and respray. Looking at the bumper, maybe a couple hundred dollars for bondo, sand and respray, cash. The red stripe may cost you more, though. Can't tell by the pics but the stripe has to be touched up or restriped. Is it vinyl? And the black has to be touched up. So, get quotes and ask for pictures of the shops work on similar projects. Some of those guys take a shit load of pictures of their work like tattoo artists.

• 1Like

BeardedWonder

Lord Nagafen Raider
Can anyone identify what in the hell is going on with my car's paint? The image I attached is from the rear bumper. I know for a fact that these spots were NOT there two weeks ago when I last washed the car. At first I thought it was some kind of gunk on the paint but it appears to be the paint itself has been either damaged or is defective somehow? What is weird is that these spots are kind of in a diagonal line as if something splashed on it. But I have no idea what it could have possibly been since the car is literally driven from work to home and nowhere in between.

I did a quick search on paint defects for my model car, but turned up nothing like this.

View attachment 173385
If it's steel underneath, than it maybe rust under the paint. If it's not steel, its over spray from shooting too much paint in one area. The paint will "wrinkle". (Red Pic, rust. Green Pic, wrinkle)

rust.jpg

wrinkles in paint.jpg

ShakyJake

<Donor>
If it's steel underneath, than it maybe rust under the paint. If it's not steel, its over spray from shooting too much paint in one area. The paint will "wrinkle". (Red Pic, rust. Green Pic, wrinkle)

View attachment 181746

View attachment 181747
This is on the bumper so it's plastic. It definitely looks very similar to the green pic, but why would this suddenly appear nearly two years after purchasing the vehicle? It absolutely was not there before. I'm VERY particular about my vehicles and would notice something like that.

Since asking the question, I've tried using a polishing compound with a random-orbit buffer but made zero impact on it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This is on the bumper so it's plastic. It definitely looks very similar to the green pic, but why would this suddenly appear nearly two years after purchasing the vehicle? It absolutely was not there before. I'm VERY particular about my vehicles and would notice something like that.

Since asking the question, I've tried using a polishing compound with a random-orbit buffer but made zero impact on it.
maybe you might want to hit it w/ more abrasion w/ rubbing compound then?

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
Quick question, rear brake light isn't coming on while driving. It does flash when I hit my keyless entry. Because it works that way, should I take that meaning it's not a simple bulb or fuse?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
There might be more than one bulb in there. I'd start with the bulbs and hope it's not some weird gremlin in the wiring.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Depends if you have a older or a newer car. Older might just be the switch (actual switch) that gets pressed when you step on the brake, or a cable connection with that. Newer might be electronics shmelectronics and you need to hook it up and look at the error code.

Or just what Brutul said.

A5150Ylee

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Quick question, rear brake light isn't coming on while driving. It does flash when I hit my keyless entry. Because it works that way, should I take that meaning it's not a simple bulb or fuse?

It could be a dual filament bulb that serves as both brake light and turn signal. My wife's car uses those and the brake light worked, but the turn signal filament was burned out. Is it possible your keyless entry flashes your turn signals which might still work, and the brake filament is burned out?

• 1Solidarity

BeardedWonder

Lord Nagafen Raider

Then it maybe heat related on the underside of the bumper or it's chemical related?

BeardedWonder

Lord Nagafen Raider

Is it both brake lights or just one?

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Is it both brake lights or just one?
It's the rear, duh.
It could be a dual filament bulb that serves as both brake light and turn signal. My wife's car uses those and the brake light worked, but the turn signal filament was burned out. Is it possible your keyless entry flashes your turn signals which might still work, and the brake filament is burned out?
Now that you mention it, this seems the most probable.

• 1Like

BeardedWonder

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's the rear, duh.

Last I checked, brake lights have always been at the rear of the vehicle. The reason I asked if it's just the one brake light that doesn't light up when you press the brake pedal, replace the bulb and check. If it was both brake lights that didn't light up, after checking/replacing both bulb's, than I'd check the connection at the tail lights for continuity, then follow that back to the brake switch.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Yeah I know, I was trying to be fucking hilarious because OP mentioned their REAR brake light being inactive.

• 1Like