Car ?'s

Fucker

Log Wizard
This is what I really don’t know anything about, I hear people trash one car company or another but of all the new vehicles I’ve owned, Chevy Ford or Ram/Jeep I’ve never had issues with them and I usually keep vehicles 10 years or so. The worst issue I’ve ever had is I hate that shit on the Jeep where the vehicle turns off while stopped, pisses me off to no end my wife just got so used to it she turns it off the moment she starts the vehicle but I don’t drive it enough to remember to do it then get honked at when taking off from a stop light.
Chevy has problems with all their engine lines. Not sure if fixed yet, but they were putting in weak timing chains in everything. Engine go blammo, cost $7-10k to fix IF you can find an engine for it.

Ford has problems with basically everything they are building. 3x higher warranty costs than anyone else, so they are taking the logical approach and denying warranty claims. The diesel in their trucks has fuel pump that grenades and takes out everything in the fuel system with it. Cost $11k to fix and Ford denying warranty fix. Ford problems really amped up in the last 3 years. Also Ford jerking off customers who try to lemon law their vehicle. No parts available = no lemon law. Guy on another forum had an F150 for a month, but it has been sitting in dealership lot since last fall. No parts.

This isn't trash talk, but reality.

It used to be buying American was ok because the repair costs were so cheap. Now, they are expensive as fuck to fix and it needs to be done far more often. Now the cars themselves aren't cheap to buy. Add in massive depreciation and cost to fix, and there's exactly zero reason to buy anything not Toyota or Honda.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Chevy has problems with all their engine lines. Not sure if fixed yet, but they were putting in weak timing chains in everything. Engine go blammo, cost $7-10k to fix IF you can find an engine for it.

Ford has problems with basically everything they are building. 3x higher warranty costs than anyone else, so they are taking the logical approach and denying warranty claims. The diesel in their trucks has fuel pump that grenades and takes out everything in the fuel system with it. Cost $11k to fix and Ford denying warranty fix. Ford problems really amped up in the last 3 years. Also Ford jerking off customers who try to lemon law their vehicle. No parts available = no lemon law. Guy on another forum had an F150 for a month, but it has been sitting in dealership lot since last fall. No parts.

It used to be buying American was ok because the repair costs were so cheap. Now, they are expensive as fuck to fix and it needs to be done far more often. Now the cars themselves aren't cheap to buy. Add in massive depreciation and cost to fix, and there's exactly zero reason to buy anything not Toyota or Honda.

What would you say are the best low to mid range truck brands right now?

Fucker

Log Wizard
What would you say are the best low to mid range truck brands right now?
Used 2014-2021 Toyota Tundra. Gas mileage on them sucks ass, but they are built like tanks. Only issue is cam tower leak some have it, some don't. If not, may require pulling heads off to reseal. $2k to fix. May need it. Mine has cam tower leak, but it is just a few drops, no big deal.

I bought an older one 1.5 y ago. I wanted a newer one, but got this one. 2012 w/125k miles. Old man owned, full service history. As new in and out. $24k. It has cam tower leak, but just a few drops. I haven't had to add any oil to it since I got it. I got it to tow since I was moving across states. It was peak covid price nuttiness and there was no way in hell I was going to buy a stripper model new truck for $60k.

Oh yeah, Toyota's frames are known for not holding up to rust. Easy fix is to have anti corrosion spray put on it. Mine is almost new under there, so no need to do it.

I was going to sell it, but like it so much, going to keep it. I've owned Ford and GMC and this is the first truck I've owned that the engine and transmission are dry as a bone. My others looked like piles of oil and grease underneath.

2014 is the same mechanically as the 2007-2013 models, but it got new fenders and a newer interior. This model continued until 2021.

If I were to buy new, it would be a Tundra.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Used 2014-2021 Toyota Tundra. Gas mileage on them sucks ass, but they are built like tanks. Only issue is cam tower leak some have it, some don't. If not, may require pulling heads off to reseal. $2k to fix. May need it. Mine has cam tower leak, but it is just a few drops, no big deal.

I bought an older one 1.5 y ago. I wanted a newer one, but got this one. 2012 w/125k miles. Old man owned, full service history. As new in and out. $24k. It has cam tower leak, but just a few drops. I haven't had to add any oil to it since I got it. I got it to tow since I was moving across states. It was peak covid price nuttiness and there was no way in hell I was going to buy a stripper model new truck for $60k.

Oh yeah, Toyota's frames are known for not holding up to rust. Easy fix is to have anti corrosion spray put on it. Mine is almost new under there, so no need to do it.

I was going to sell it, but like it so much, going to keep it. I've owned Ford and GMC and this is the first truck I've owned that the engine and transmission are dry as a bone. My others looked like piles of oil and grease underneath.

2014 is the same mechanically as the 2007-2013 models, but it got new fenders and a newer interior. This model continued until 2021.

If I were to buy new, it would be a Tundra.

What would you say is acceptable odometer mileage for a truck? I get skeptical of anything thats over 100K miles or 10 years old but it seems like a lot of used trucks are being sold with 6 digit mileage all the time and pricing thats a lot higher than I expected. Do trucks last that much longer than SUVs or Sedans so this is considered reasonable? Price floors from Covid still in place? Something else?

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What would you say is acceptable odometer mileage for a truck? I get skeptical of anything thats over 100K miles or 10 years old but it seems like a lot of used trucks are being sold with 6 digit mileage all the time and pricing thats a lot higher than I expected. Do trucks last that much longer than SUVs or Sedans so this is considered reasonable? Price floors from Covid still in place? Something else?
That gen tundra 200k easy minimum

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Depends on the owner(s). I wouldn't have considered a 125k mile Ford or Chevy, but my Tundra is still basically new. Single owner, old guy. Regular maintenance like clockwork. Spotless inside and out. No rattles or shakes or any issues at all. Its largest repair bill was $20 for a new clockspring for the horn. Took me 10 mins to swap out.

I looked at a few with half the miles, but passed on them. One had no service history, and the other was owned by some younger guy who had tinkeritis. Bolt on garbage everywhere and cheap aftermarket wheels. No thanks.

Common to all older cars is rubber gets old. Belts hoses, bushings and the like. Mine are fine, but it spent every non moving moment inside.

Another option, $25.6k

Another good option is to get a newer one around $40k. Drive it for 5 years, sell it for a few grand less than what you paid for it.

Running board and tonneau from Tyger. Inexpensive and nice quality. Running boards took 45 minutes to install, but easy. 6 bolts to the body each side. Toyota were nice enough to weld the bolts in place so there's no fishing for shit. It is a tall truck and GF very non tall, so they were needed.

CrewMax cab is the big one. Massive amount of room inside.

This generation Tundra (2007-2021) doesn't have all the bells/whistles as Ford/Chevy/Ram, but it is dead reliable. Gen 2 2007-2013, Gen 2.5 2014-2021. Comfortable on long drives. Drove across states last fall, 100% comfort the whole way. Had Uhaul trailer and bed was loaded to the gills and truck didn't even notice.

This guy talks about all the issues they can have.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Pickups cost around double the price of a car with a similar age and miles and get lousy gas mileage. I would not say they last longer than cars either.

FWIW my F-150 is a 2011 with 135k miles and the engine and transmission are both spotless. It did need a timing chain at about 125k though. Also the radio died but I like the aftermarket one I replaced it with so much better that I'm not even mad about it. Other than that just tires and oil changes.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Not quite the same but our 2014 4Runner has ~80k miles. No towing, just family/daily driver stuff, but zero engine/mechanical issues so far.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm just sad the be tundra I feel like it's kinda shit, barely gets more mpg but I near guarantee won't be near as long lasting.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I'm just sad the be tundra I feel like it's kinda shit, barely gets more mpg but I near guarantee won't be near as long lasting.
Pretty damned hard to beat the reliability of the 2nd gen. Toyota bought back the million mile Tundra to take it apart and have a look. They said the engine still had as new clearances. Insane.

New Tundra meh, but at least they are working out all the kinks. It sure is a fugmobile though.

Toyota should have done what RAM does. Come out with new model, still make old model, but call it Classic.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

This is why I went with the Toyota Tacoma. I was not looking for a full size truck. A vehicles Resale says a lot about the quality of the vehicle. I bought one used. Its a 2021 but has 38k miles. It was a one owner lease so the person was obligated to keep up the maintenance. The only complaint is the complaint everyone has with them. The transmission hates hills. It wants to downshift and you find it running high going up a hill. It just needed 2 more gears and that problem would have resolved. I am used to it now and so no real biggie. Its a great little truck that will hopefully last me a long long time.

Fucker

Log Wizard
They aren’t. They are in tons of debt and overspend
Average transaction price of almost $50k is nuts.

People don't look at TCO, just monthly payment, and then they wonder why they only have $500 in the bank.

7 year bank note on $60k F150 + finance charge + gas is damn near $95k. Pushing $100k if you consider new tires every 3 years and assorted crap.

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Average transaction price of almost $50k is nuts.

People don't look at TCO, just monthly payment, and then they wonder why they only have $500 in the bank.

7 year bank note on $60k F150 + finance charge + gas is damn near $95k. Pushing $100k if you consider new tires every 3 years and assorted crap.
Do not forget the must have full coverage insurance on that 60k vehicle. That shit is not cheap either

Larnix

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is why I went with the Toyota Tacoma. I was not looking for a full size truck. A vehicles Resale says a lot about the quality of the vehicle. I bought one used. Its a 2021 but has 38k miles. It was a one owner lease so the person was obligated to keep up the maintenance. The only complaint is the complaint everyone has with them. The transmission hates hills. It wants to downshift and you find it running high going up a hill. It just needed 2 more gears and that problem would have resolved. I am used to it now and so no real biggie. Its a great little truck that will hopefully last me a long long time.
I have a 2019 tacoma but it's the 6speed manual. You should look for a local person that does a tune for them. Everyone who's had theirs tuned seems very happy. I got one for mine that is manual specific and I could tell the difference pulling out of the parking lot.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have a 2019 tacoma but it's the 6speed manual. You should look for a local person that does a tune for them. Everyone who's had theirs tuned seems very happy. I got one for mine that is manual specific and I could tell the difference pulling out of the parking lot.
I have read that there are some kits that can tune them up. Mine is an automatic, and so I am not sure what is available. Its a shame the dealerships do not do them. I might consider paying some if not to outrageous in price.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Last vehicle I financed was 2.4%, if you wanted to finance the vehicle she was looking at full price over 4 years you’re looking at nearly $650 a month. That’s fucking lunacy, Araysar talking about $1400 a month for a truck that’s nearly a mortgage. These prices and interest rates can’t hold, make it make sense.
That was nearly a mortgage two years ago. Lmao.

We're quickly approaching depreciating features though. I was happy to have heated seats and a CD player years ago. Now I just want a screen to play shit or navigate over Bluetooth and a complete set of analog buttons for the simple features.

20 years ago packages were filled with actual conveniences like a backup camera or navigation in an era without smartphones. Now it's... What am I getting for 10k again? It's all bundled bullshit too, you can't just get the auto dim mirror and integrated GDO, you need to buy the 28 speaker premium audio convenience driver preference package. Oh you want the little sonar ping backup warnings? My friend let me tell you about the driver tech and navigation package which also turns your engine off and includes a self park feature that never works!

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
That was nearly a mortgage two years ago. Lmao.

We're quickly approaching depreciating features though. I was happy to have heated seats and a CD player years ago. Now I just want a screen to play shit or navigate over Bluetooth and a complete set of analog buttons for the simple features.

20 years ago packages were filled with actual conveniences like a backup camera or navigation in an era without smartphones. Now it's... What am I getting for 10k again? It's all bundled bullshit too, you can't just get the auto dim mirror and integrated GDO, you need to buy the 28 speaker premium audio convenience driver preference package. Oh you want the little sonar ping backup warnings? My friend let me tell you about the driver tech and navigation package which also turns your engine off and includes a self park feature that never works!
Lots of car manufacturers are spreading out desirable features over more expensive options packages. This isn't new, but they are getting to be thumbdicks about it. Toyota has seat memory, but only on Limiteds and up. And then there's the stupidity of ever increasing top trim packages. Limited used to be top, then they added platinum. Now it is capstone.

Porsche is still king of the options checklist. Special edition of the regular edition wherein they take parts off the regular edition and charge you more. At one point, they had more special editions than the regular edition, so if you wanted a less common 911, you had to get a regular one.

Ford gonna be fucked when the economy shits itself. XLT is $60k with cheap cloth interior and tiny low res screen. WTF is this shit. All those greedy dealerships tacking on $10k+ to msrp during covid are shitting themselves because now they have F150's stacked to the ceiling and no buyers. Meanwhile, Toyota told its dealers to sell at MSRP or risk running into allocation issues.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Lots of car manufacturers are spreading out desirable features over more expensive options packages. This isn't new, but they are getting to be thumbdicks about it. Toyota has seat memory, but only on Limiteds and up. And then there's the stupidity of ever increasing top trim packages. Limited used to be top, then they added platinum. Now it is capstone.

Porsche is still king of the options checklist. Special edition of the regular edition wherein they take parts off the regular edition and charge you more. At one point, they had more special editions than the regular edition, so if you wanted a less common 911, you had to get a regular one.

Ford gonna be fucked when the economy shits itself. XLT is $60k with cheap cloth interior and tiny low res screen. WTF is this shit. All those greedy dealerships tacking on $10k+ to msrp during covid are shitting themselves because now they have F150's stacked to the ceiling and no buyers. Meanwhile, Toyota told its dealers to sell at MSRP or risk running into allocation issues.
I don't see how dealers aren't going to get killed at some point over the next year. I mean it was silly to buy new in 2019, now it's idiotic.

I bought a used car in 2021, drove by a similar one at a small dealer for a year priced at 50% more. Eventually it disappeared, no idea if it sold. The replacement car has been there almost a year now. I have to imagine they are basically only surviving on warranty work and fleet sales at this point.