Car ?'s

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My goal is to get under $60k with decently low mileage. I think I will be able to so going to the dealership on Saturday as the wife also wants to scope out some other Toyota models. We've had the same beaters for 6 years (her) and 8 years (me). This will only be the 3rd car I ever owned.

Interesting to buy not out of total need though. Even when I have the money as in this case I am like... maybe I could use this for something else?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Spending money on more than the basics is definitely something I struggle with in general from my family having some pretty tough years growing up.

• 1Solidarity

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Thought I'd throw this in here. My mother has a 2003 S2000. They gave her lifetime tire replacements. I'm pretty sure she has run them dry about 20k over the years so far. Shes thinking of selling it with only 90k miles on it.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Okay so I am a retard and the last car I bought I just paid cash for. Have Car Loans always had such completely insane financing fees? Running the numbers on some stuff if you went to the dealer and bought a $60k car with a bog standard auto loan from USAA they slap a $9k financing fee on that. On top of the 9% interest rate. So the loan amount for that car is instead $70k+

I may me misremembering but I don't seem to recall autoloans working that way.

• 1Seriously?

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Okay so I am a retard and the last car I bought I just paid cash for. Have Car Loans always had such completely insane financing fees? Running the numbers on some stuff if you went to the dealer and bought a $60k car with a bog standard auto loan from USAA they slap a $9k financing fee on that. On top of the 9% interest rate. So the loan amount for that car is instead $70k+

A financing fee that's ~15% of the cost of the car? On top of the financing itself? No, I don't remember that at all. That sounds like some bullshit.

I got my financing through a credit union, I think they charged me some token amount for the paper work (maybe ~$60) and that's about it

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to

The financing charge is usually the complete cost of interest fees and everything over the term of the loan. That looks like a 36 mo at 9% if it's only 9k.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
The financing charge is usually the complete cost of interest fees and everything over the term of the loan. That looks like a 36 mo at 9% if it's only 9k.

That would make sense. I thought he meant 9% worth of interest over the lifetime of a loan AND a $9K financing fee stacked on top of that

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Palum Palum is likely correct (60k car with 0 down and no balloon payment over 36 months should be 1908/mo, total of 68652 paid). Definitely double check everything though, plenty of shady businesses waiting to fleece buyers on fees/ "market adjustments" etc. If the actual "loan amount" says 70k on a 60k car, they are trying to fleece you.

I'd never not pay cash if I had the opportunity to do so. Not only are interest rates painful right now, it also makes it much harder for them to tack on all sorts of bullshit services/fees if you're just negotiating an out the door price. Easier to compare between dealers/brands too.

1695301308209.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

No that’s not normal. That’s fleecing.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

The Truth in Lending forms refer to the total you'd pay in interest as the "finance charge" and lay this out as an aggregate total. The reason for this is so that people who are bad at math can see how much this financing is costing them.

It's not on top of the interest, that is the interest.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

smart enough to hide a neon behind a false wall for 14years

dumb enough not to dismantle that car after having it for 14years, and dispose of it

i mean look at it
f9b9b7d6e887a98f558b7ab6bdfadc2b.jpg

were they thinking of this could be fixed?

• 1WTF

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Went and saw a 2023 Tundra and some others today. Found one I liked with 20 miles on it and $50k.

But I didn't realize that the SR5 Tundra seats don't depress downward. So the wheel just hits my knees while driving the whole time which I hate. Guess I need to look at Limited. This rustles me because my $12k stupid ass Mazda CX-5 has the seats low enough that that doesn't happen. I mean, wtf man? This is with the wheel at the highest position in the Tundra btw.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Went and saw a 2023 Tundra and some others today. Found one I liked with 20 miles on it and $50k.

But I didn't realize that the SR5 Tundra seats don't depress downward. So the wheel just hits my knees while driving the whole time which I hate. Guess I need to look at Limited. This rustles me because my $12k stupid ass Mazda CX-5 has the seats low enough that that doesn't happen. I mean, wtf man? This is with the wheel at the highest position in the Tundra btw.
Hard to believe a $50k truck doesn't at least have a manually adjustable wheel. I looked at the toyota trim levels comparison and the tilt/telescoping wheel is a limited feature...

Wow.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Hard to believe a $50k truck doesn't at least have a manually adjustable wheel. I looked at the toyota trim levels comparison and the tilt/telescoping wheel is a limited feature...

Wow.
It has tilt. Toyota can be shitheads about trims. Highlander w memory seats is Limited or above only. GF's little Honda had them, and a lot cheaper than Highlander.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
How much does adding an adjustable seat option cost? See what year seats fit that truck and call around to some local scrap yards or look online (shipping is a bitch, though).

Toyota has a enthusiast forum and they may have good info on what others have done for seat replacements.

2019 power seat (no clue if this is a good price or good item):
2023-09-23 19.32.20 www.ebay.com 8a91a7929049.png

Hell, if the dealer prices for an upgrade are stupid, you could have someone do a whole custom seat set (enthusiast forum probably has feedback on who does quality work too):
2023-09-23 19.31.40 www.ebay.com a50399799e6e.png

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
How much does adding an adjustable seat option cost? See what year seats fit that truck and call around to some local scrap yards or look online (shipping is a bitch, though).

Toyota has a enthusiast forum and they may have good info on what others have done for seat replacements.

2019 power seat (no clue if this is a good price or good item):
View attachment 492002

Hell, if the dealer prices for an upgrade are stupid, you could have someone do a whole custom seat set (enthusiast forum probably has feedback on who does quality work too):
View attachment 492003
I would say this is fine but having to pay extra money for a brand new car for features it should have had standard is a no-go for me. I'll do that with an older car but not with a new car.

• 1Like

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Or you know move the wheel and seat around.
If wheel up at top, move seat down, move does unless that's something else new retarded about the 3rd generation. But I refuse to believe that you can't lower the start or you have the most gigantic thunder thighs.....
Then again I'm still kinda rethinking everything after a truth in lending statement confused you.

With the new ones your losing the reliability and everything that made tundras popular, at that point you might as well look at ram etc with better towing and a better interior. People are also saying it is making far less mpg than advertised so going to a unknown engine and still getting close to only 15/16 mpg