Car ?'s

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Car related but maybe outside of the scope of the thread: any suggestions on finding a salvage yard for an inoperable vehicle?

I googled but the closest “local” yard seems to be 1.5 hours from me. There’s a “national service” cashautosalvage. com, but the site feels sketchy.

Frankly I don’t care that much about the amount I’d get from selling it. I just want my driveway back.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I wonder if range anxiety is less in Europe than in the US since the countries are smaller. I mean it's pretty unusual for an American to actually take a long road trip covering hundreds of miles per day but we always think of it as something we might do. If you live in a country that's 200 miles across maybe you don't think of 300 miles of range as being that limiting.

Everyone thinks about having an EV in the context of driving from coast to coast on the back roads but people don't actually do that. The way people actually use cars (commuting to work, getting groceries, taking kids to soccer practice) the EV is way more convenient since you leave the garage every morning with a full tank and never have to stop to fill up at all.

I picked up my first Tesla in Fort Lauderdale and immediately drove it back to Texas non-stop, I didn't even bring a suitcase or change of clothes. In 2017. Worked perfectly fine. The people throwing their hands up like trips are impossible have never tried it. It is easy.

Can’t believe I agree with Kirun, I intentionally made my truck louder because fuck you (not you kirun, everyone) is why.
Opinions vary. I massively enjoy being able to floor it just about anywhere I want without cops or anyone else even turning their head. Maybe it's an age thing.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Car related but maybe outside of the scope of the thread: any suggestions on finding a salvage yard for an inoperable vehicle?

I googled but the closest “local” yard seems to be 1.5 hours from me. There’s a “national service” cashautosalvage. com, but the site feels sketchy.

Frankly I don’t care that much about the amount I’d get from selling it. I just want my driveway back.
Try some car donation sites. I dont know if they take cars that dont run but you could try and give them a call to see if they take it. Last car I had a salvage yard take from me was early 2K and they gave me like $300-$400? from memory?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I picked up my first Tesla in Fort Lauderdale and immediately drove it back to Texas non-stop, I didn't even bring a suitcase or change of clothes. In 2017. Worked perfectly fine. The people throwing their hands up like trips are impossible have never tried it. It is easy.

Opinions vary. I massively enjoy being able to floor it just about anywhere I want without cops or anyone else even turning their head. Maybe it's an age thing.
1500+ miles on one charge? I dont believe it.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wonder if range anxiety is less in Europe than in the US since the countries are smaller. I mean it's pretty unusual for an American to actually take a long road trip covering hundreds of miles per day but we always think of it as something we might do. If you live in a country that's 200 miles across maybe you don't think of 300 miles of range as being that limiting.

Everyone thinks about having an EV in the context of driving from coast to coast on the back roads but people don't actually do that. The way people actually use cars (commuting to work, getting groceries, taking kids to soccer practice) the EV is way more convenient since you leave the garage every morning with a full tank and never have to stop to fill up at all.
The euros I know would fly or take a train for a 200 mile trip. They couldn't wrap their head around my saying that I went to a different state to buy things. I think it's safe to say that cars in the US generally have a different use case.

I don't often take trips outside of the upper end of charging range, but I've done it enough that I want the ability to do it, regardless of how often I actually do. It's like getting a truck when you only haul things a few times per year. Sure, you could save money and rent a truck every time, but that sucks way more than owning a truck. I'm not anti-ev though. I wouldn't mind having one (maybe along with the solar roof), but until chargers are as ubiquitous and fast as gas stations, I wouldn't have it be my only car.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

People here worry about long trips just the same, even though their long trips usually just consist of going on vacation once or twice a year. To an extent it's really anxiety in that it's mostly a fear of what might happen and being in unfamiliar territory. It's also anxiety in that people think they need a huge range, where the reality of the situation is as you say: if your EV car has enough range to cover a typical day's use and you charge at home, it's already more convenient than a gas car since you just plug it in at the end of the day and it's ready to do it all again the next morning. In that respect, having a larger battery for more range is mostly wasteful since you're just lugging around a few hundred pounds of capacity that you almost never use, and it's a bit like buying a truck just to tow a boat twice a year.

People's situations differ and for some use cases it's better to stick to gasoline for the time being. For now, the question of whether you have a driveway where you can charge or whether you are a one-car household are probably more important considerations than the actual range figure on the car.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Call a local repair shop, any shop that services older cars ends up with cars that are not worth fixing and they'll know someone that picks them up.

• 1Mother of God

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Call a local repair shop, any shop that services older cars ends up with cars that are not worth fixing and they'll know someone that picks them up.
Thank you sir. That is embarrassingly obvious (but only after you pointed it out).

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
such wonderful trucks, imagine putting it in park and then it just "slips" into neutral

oops

in the timestamp tow guy is talking to tow-ee outside of truck while it is in park, both truck guys is like wtf!

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
20231003_135435.jpg

Guessing its a production fault, the trim bordering it doesn't have a single spot like this.

Meh.

Didn't plan to post this or would have dressed better.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Is there a question here? Do you not know how soap works?

Bro I tried everything. It is damage, not dirt. It needs replacement. Holes in gloss layer.

Maybe some eco retards sprayed something on it.

I overtook some of them before going to a grocery store a bit ahead. Few minutes later there is an old lady at the entrance screaming she nearly hit a car that stopped so someone could piss on "his" car.

Me and the 2 other dudes looked at each other, wondering if she was insane and if not, who did she mean?

Since it was real life and not baldurs gate, neither of us pursued dialogue.

What a time to be alive.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Bro I tried everything. It is damage, not dirt. It needs replacement. Holes in gloss layer.

Maybe some eco retards sprayed something on it.

I overtook some of them before going to a grocery store a bit ahead. Few minutes later there is an old lady at the entrance screaming she nearly hit a car that stopped so someone could piss on "his" car.

Me and the 2 other dudes looked at each other, wondering if she was insane and if not, who did she mean?

Since it was real life and not baldurs gate, neither of us pursued dialogue.

What a time to be alive.
Best bet is to search/ask around at autogeekonline.net. They are obviously partial to products that they sell, but last I looked, they have a bunch of pro or semi-pro detailers that post there, along with a bunch of people who are just into all those products and processes.

Unless you can find a bunch of complaints from owners, good luck getting the dealer/manufacturer to say it's their problem.

If it's etched into the top layer, it might be a complicated fix, but you may be able to cover it up for a year or two at a time with the right product. Maybe something like a ceramic coating over it would hide it well.

Brake fluid
Brake fluid or break cleaner would have damaged the surrounding clear coat, at a minimum, so he should see marring in more than just that plastic. It may be there, but hard to see on that paint color. He should probably look up videos on how to find blemishes using hand held lights, since the Netherlands doesn't get much sun(?). The ammonia in urine may etch plastic and not clearcoat/wax (if that's what happened), or it may be something totally different, from a separate incident that didn't get noticed until now.

Many years ago, with a previous car, I had some dumbfucks putting soda or fruit juice down on a street race area to do burnouts in, cause they thought it would make more smoke. I was a couple cars back in line and got that shit all over the back of my car. Took forever to get off and some of it still left light marks. I didn't notice that it was anything more than road grime, until the next time I washed my car.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Thanks for the advice, will update when I know more.
Dude...it's fucking hard water spots. Chances are you parked next to a sprinkler or something. I can also see it on the body paint.

Once again, I will ask you, do you not know how soap works?

Bucket+ hot water + dish soap, soft cloth or sponge = no more hard water spots.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Vinegar or water and soap with microfiber cloth, regular and handcarwash, neither helped even slightly

Also can't remove spot by trying to scratch it off.

Its damage buddy. I would be happy if it wasn't but it is.