Car ?'s

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Also another slight jimmy rustle but the colors. In 2022 Toyota discontinued a really nice almost matte gray color for the Tacoma and replaced it with a lighter less matte green tinged gray color for 2023. The real fucking shame is they dropped the coyote brown/sand/fde color back in 2021.

I've never really understood the point of 4runners. Theyre basically the same size as a Tacoma, which means seating is nearly as cramped as a Tacoma's(its biggest complaint), they dont even really seat that more than a Tacoma due to only having two rows of seats, they get noticeably less MPG than a Tacoma, they dont tow anymore than a Tacoma does, they have less cargo capacity etc.

True but truck is 19 years old now. Going to be needing new tires sometime this year, could really use a paint job etc. All money id rather put into a newer truck.
Let it rust, cheap or used tires, can usually find cheap oem takeoffs. If you don't have major mechanical limping on cheaply shouldn't be impossible

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Let it rust, cheap or used tires, can usually find cheap oem takeoffs. If you don't have major mechanical limping on cheaply shouldn't be impossible
if you change tires yourself get a bead breaker
6895cdd068fba65cdf13052368941858.png

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I changed a few 4-wheeler tires with the harbor freight tire changer this summer and concluded that the $15 it costs to have the tire shop do it is money well spent.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
my subbie battery was spiking in voltages, sometimes worked, (got out the jump started) then worked fine. im pretty sure it's cuz i went on a 2week trip. anyway i charged it up to 100% w/ the noco, but it died a few days later, it read 10v and i had it on repair mode for 2 days, still low power (and it's cold).

so it's dead, it was a pretty good run walmart maxxx line bought in 1/17. since i have costco now, decided to check them out, pretty cheap at 130$ after core return.

Siliconemelons

my subbie battery was spiking in voltages, sometimes worked, (got out the jump started) then worked fine. im pretty sure it's cuz i went on a 2week trip. anyway i charged it up to 100% w/ the noco, but it died a few days later, it read 10v and i had it on repair mode for 2 days, still low power (and it's cold).

so it's dead, it was a pretty good run walmart maxxx line bought in 1/17. since i have costco now, decided to check them out, pretty cheap at 130$ after core return.

6-7 years is a good run of a battery for me down in Florida, batteries are consumables here - you need to replace your car battery every 3 or so years - and I have only had 1 car ever give me any sort of warning it was going to go bad - every time its, just doa when you go to start.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
6-7 years is a good run of a battery for me down in Florida, batteries are consumables here - you need to replace your car battery every 3 or so years - and I have only had 1 car ever give me any sort of warning it was going to go bad - every time its, just doa when you go to start.
yea, i took care of my batteries too, i'd wipe em down to prevent corrosion and leakage, filled up w/ distilled water and put it on the noco repair mode (to desulfur) every year, i wanna say i did it every 6months, but lets be real... my civic battery is 1/20 and still seems strong.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
yea, i took care of my batteries too, i'd wipe em down to prevent corrosion and leakage, filled up w/ distilled water and put it on the noco repair mode (to desulfur) every year, i wanna say i did it every 6months, but lets be real... my civic battery is 1/20 and still seems strong.
Do a remote mount in the trunk if you want them to live longer, heat is what kills lead acid batteries.

Burns

Do a remote mount in the trunk if you want them to live longer, heat is what kills lead acid batteries.
If my car is cooking out in the parking lot for 8+ hours in the Texas July Sun, is there going to be a noticeable temperature difference between being under the trunk lid, or under the hood?

I hate battery maintenance, so I switched to close cell around 2019, then the pandemic hit, my daily driver sat around w/o being on a tender, and it was drained dry (to failure) exactly 1 month past it's warranty period...

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
If my car is cooking out in the parking lot for 8+ hours in the Texas July Sun, is there going to be a noticeable temperature difference between being under the trunk lid, or under the hood?

I hate battery maintenance, so I switched to close cell around 2019, then the pandemic hit, my daily driver sat around w/o being on a tender, and it was drained dry (to failure) exactly 1 month past it's warranty period...
Probably not when the car is sitting idle but when the car is running there would be a huge difference between the 180+ degrees under the hood and the 80-ish degrees in the trunk. But hey, you do you, replace batteries if you like.

Burns

Probably not when the car is sitting idle but when the car is running there would be a huge difference between the 180+ degrees under the hood and the 80-ish degrees in the trunk. But hey, you do you, replace batteries if you like.
True, it would probably add a bit of battery life, just from getting it away from the engine, and closed cell batteries are the kind that you would want to use, if you moved it to the trunk.

Maybe if I get adventurous with interior work again, or when the current battery goes out and I need to shop for a new one (since I seem to change sizes every time) I will think about it. Running a couple 4 gauge wires isn't toooo hard, but I don't think the extra months of life would probably be worth the effort, on their own.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
True, it would probably add a bit of battery life, just from getting it away from the engine, and closed cell batteries are the kind that you would want to use, if you moved it to the trunk.

Maybe if I get adventurous with interior work again, or when the current battery goes out and I need to shop for a new one (since I seem to change sizes every time) I will think about it. Running a couple 4 gauge wires isn't toooo hard, but I don't think the extra months of life would probably be worth the effort, on their own.
I think a fair number of people did it for imagined weight-distribution reasons as much as temp, and because they're project cars so they like doing "stuff" to it. I don't think it'd make a huge difference in battery life, but maybe? Getting stranded with a dead battery is enough of a pain in the ass that improvement is improvement.

Burns

I think a fair number of people did it for imagined weight-distribution reasons as much as temp, and because they're project cars so they like doing "stuff" to it. I don't think it'd make a huge difference in battery life, but maybe? Getting stranded with a dead battery is enough of a pain in the ass that improvement is improvement.
I had never even thought about it for battery life, and always assumed it was a performance mod, as I had only seen it on performance vehicles (until the video in the YGWYFD thread today).

I had a battery spring a leak on one of my previous cars, which ate into the metal battery tray, and was a tedious fix of scrubbing with neutralizer, then priming with rust inhibitor. So I looked into moving the battery to the rear, when I got my current car, and using a closed cell racing battery with it (which are really light too), but that money got spent elsewhere.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I had never even thought about it for battery life, and always assumed it was a performance mod, as I had only seen it on performance vehicles (until the video in the YGWYFD thread today).

I had a battery spring a leak on one of my previous cars, which ate into the metal battery tray, and was a tedious fix of scrubbing with neutralizer, then priming with rust inhibitor. So I looked into moving the battery to the rear, when I got my current car, and using a closed cell racing battery with it (which are really light too), but that money got spent elsewhere.
Gel cell would be one option like an Optima, but they also have LifePo4 car batteries now which can't burn or explode. They're spendy like 400-500 but lead acid batteries are pretty caustic.

• 1Like

Burns

Gel cell would be one option like an Optima, but they also have LifePo4 car batteries now which can't burn or explode. They're spendy like 400-500 but lead acid batteries are pretty caustic.
I'm fairly happy with the closed cell battery I have now, from Sam's. Sure, there was a price premium, but it wasn't that much extra, there's no need to check fluid levels, and the chance of a spill are close to zero, outside of an accident or vandalism. Since it's closed cell I could safely move it to the rear hatch too, if I ever decided to do that (although it's probably too big, for where I would want to put it).

It's been some years since I researched into putting a racing battery into the rear hatch and have forgotten most of that info. I can't remember the batteries that were popular, at the time, but they were around half the size of the battery the car was using, for close to the same power output (maybe) and I think they even worked when laying on their side. It might have been gel cell, like you said, because they were certainly 3 or 4 times the cost. I think they were supposed to last up to twice as long too.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I'm fairly happy with the closed cell battery I have now, from Sam's. Sure, there was a price premium, but it wasn't that much extra, there's no need to check fluid levels, and the chance of a spill are close to zero, outside of an accident or vandalism. Since it's closed cell I could safely move it to the rear hatch too, if I ever decided to do that (although it's probably too big, for where I would want to put it).

It's been some years since I researched into putting a racing battery into the rear hatch and have forgotten most of that info. I can't remember the batteries that were popular, at the time, but they were around half the size of the battery the car was using, for close to the same power output (maybe) and I think they even worked when laying on their side. It might have been gel cell, like you said, because they were certainly 3 or 4 times the cost. I think they were supposed to last up to twice as long too.
Yea gel cells you could put upside down or sideways or whatever. They're also a lot less likely to fracture and explode in an accident for what thats worth.

The LifePo4 ones you could put under your seat - they're harmless.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
We have an old Buick Regal which belonged to my grandmother which we use for grocery runs and whatnot and the battery is under the rear seat. No clue why.

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Regarding batteries, these lithium jump packs are great. I keep one in every vehicle I own. I've successfully jumped everything up to gas v8 engines with a completely dead battery. The only thing I haven't attempted is a diesel, might be tough on a cold day.

This isn't the one I have (it's no longer on Amazon), but it's a brand that rated highly in the project farm testing.

Link

Fucker

Log Wizard
No clue on battery life. I lived in cold and very hot. Last place was very hot. Batteries lasted 5+ years same as cold. I take care of them, though. Always charged, trickle charge and never hammered amps into them. Never let em go flat. I use Battery Tender brand battery tenders on em all now because these new cars usually have some type of parasitic draw on them.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Regarding batteries, these lithium jump packs are great. I keep one in every vehicle I own. I've successfully jumped everything up to gas v8 engines with a completely dead battery. The only thing I haven't attempted is a diesel, might be tough on a cold day.

This isn't the one I have (it's no longer on Amazon), but it's a brand that rated highly in the project farm testing.

Link
I have the one in your link and they are amazing. I've jumped several diesels including a big truck and a swather. It's only failure so far was on a tractor where the battery was completely dead and it was cold out. For a while I was having trouble with my F-150 needing a jump every time I started it and that thing can jump the pickup like 10 times before it needs charging. Compared to the old lead-acid versions they are fucking awesome. Should be one in every car.

Last edited:

Burns

Link
That's neat, but I would be concerned with keeping it in my car in the Texas summer sun. People have had their lithium batteries in their dash cams pop in their vehicles in similar weather, but it would probably be safe if stored in a low part of the car, out of direct sun.

2024-01-15 23.51.31 m.media-amazon.com cf64df5e086c.png

• 1Solidarity