Card Hunter

I've seen other people post about this in other threads, which got me to sign up for the beta, but no actual thread yet.

Official site
http://www.cardhunter.com/

Pax trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4156b5nnK9c

It's a browser based game. A mix between old school DnD and tcgs. You make parties of 3 and dungeon crawl that has art and descriptions very reminiscent of golden age DnD. Instead of equipping a sword that gives + hit, it will gives you slash cards for your deck. Each of your characters has a separate deck. Only 3 races and 3 classes right now. Dwarves, Elves, Humans, Fighters, Clerics, Wizards.

I've made it to level 12 so far. It's pretty fun to play a dungeon or 2 here or there. It's not something I could play for hours every day. It really captures the feel of playing on a tabletop. You can see bags of chips and soda cans off the side of the board.

Unfortunately there's no way to edit deck size. It feels pretty bad to draw one attack card and then a bunch of moves and lose a battle because of that. I refuse to play weapons that aren't packed with maximum attacks, or draws. I'll equip armor that gives extra attacks too.

The early battle are pretty face-rolling but soon the difficulty ramps up. The troglodytes ~level 7 are a well known ass-beat.

I'd recommend checking the game out. It's free to play.

Goldenmean_sl

shitlord
Agree with pretty much everything he says (Except I totally blew through most of it in one very long sitting, and only stopped because I didn't want to burn myself out before the game launches, but I tend towards obsessiveness)

The free to play system is *incredibly* generous. You really don't need to pay for anything but some cosmetic features, a subscription that lets you get more loot per battle and a couple of purchased adventure packs. You can very easily play to cap without spending a dime, though you might need to grind a little bit more (and for the PvP people, you get an option relatively early to just start PvPing at level cap without needing to do the PvE grind if you don't want to) I'd recommend tossing money at them if you like it though. This company includes some of the guys behind System Shock 1+2, Thief, Freedom Force, etc. If anyone deserves our money, it's some of them.

I'm sort of hesitant to call this a CCG because I'm afraid it will give people the wrong idea, even though it's a card game that involves collecting. You have only indirect control over your deck. Basically, your character has slots for equipment (steadily more as time goes on), and every piece of equipment consists of a set of cards. Some equipment will have a bland selection of mediocre attacks, some will have some really good attacks but then a penalty card that you're forced to play if it comes up, or a move card that will frequently be worthless to you, etc. Even an empty slot will have the same number of cards associated with it, so as you level your deck steadily gets bigger, and of course as that happens, you'll get runs of "Oh god, three move cards, again? *sigh*" more frequently.

Anyway, it's quirky, but it's a lot of fun, and they hit all of the old school D&D tone perfectly, down to Erol Otus style art on the modules, the currency of the game being pizza, and a sort of running meta storyline involving the person dungeon mastering the game for you.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Still waiting to get in the beta, but if its fun I'll definitely throw some cash their way.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Very fun game, been in for a weeks. I started playing in the evening after getting beta e-mail, suddenly its past midnight. It is nothing to play exclusively or for months but definitely worth spending your time on. I would call it a mix of collectible card game and Hero Quest RPG/tabletop as far as gameplay goes, all wrapped in a faux old school D&D look.

@Morenfin: if you could edit deck size that'd mean you could edit items, that's the tcg player in you talking. You would build the perfect deck and be done. While nice, that goes against the tabletop gameplay item hunt they have going. Maybe consider it as a limited card pool situation and work on making the best of it. Too many move cards IS annoying though (mostly, some of the more mobile encounters I didnt have enough despite drawing extras), I try to keep attacks/armor on even the boots.

Superhiro

Silver Knight of the Realm
Been waiting three weeks since I applied for beta
frown.png

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Same here =( I've been playing some 'Duel of Champions' in the meantime. Not too bad of a card game, especially for being free.

Goldenmean_sl

shitlord
Been waiting three weeks since I applied for beta
frown.png
Heh. I had to wait something like a year. I don't remember when beta signups went up, but I've been paying attention since they announced it in 2011. They really do seem to be very steadily sending out beta invites, though, and if nothing else, it shouldn't be all that long until official launch.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I've been playing like a crazy person lately. Pretty much all I did this weekend. I played a bit of the campaign until I got to the slime level and said fuck it and moved to Multiplayer and it's a much much better experience.

edit :
this took a while

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I dumped $75 into it to try and support these guys. I have no clue about the company but they have been at this forever with no seeming revenue coming in. The game seems amazingly polished to me. I played through the single player campaign and loved it, got into multiplayer and it is amazing as well.

Drew

Molten Core Raider
Check your emails.

Checked my email this morning and got the invite last night.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Some of the epic and legendary loot I got from multiplayer :
Damn your lucky ass, I want that volcano staff!!! I've put a hundred hours + in and don't even have one item with Volcano on it.

If any of you want to play some casual multiplayer some night to try out different builds send me a PM. I want to try out a 3 mage build that all use firestorms and hide behind cover.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Actually I gave up on the volcano staff because it was hard to use properly and moved to this one :

I'm online every day (euro time) playing MP. Hoovering between 1200 and 1300 rating atm. Still getting my ass kicked by all dwarfs (2 war + priest) or all elves (3 mages) and I'm still missing some pretty OP cards like Leadership (all chars can dismiss and draw as many cards as they want).

Fazana_sl

shitlord
I've been in the queue since June 10th, either they have a ton of people interested in it or they have throttled the invites whilst checking capacity or something.

Looks good though!

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I hope they bring out more PVE I'm really enjoying that so far. Turn-based PVP somehow irks me so that part of the game isnt for me I think.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
After getting a taste of fighting against a real person I could never go back to playing PVE. I know it sucks waiting for others to make their move and shit but a match is usually 10-15 mins long.

They really need to implement a timer per round instead of overall. You'll bump into fuckers that will see that they were going to lose and they go afk.