Career ideas...

kidRiot_sl

shitlord
Here's my situation: 25 years old, Marine Corps Infantry Vet (5 years). Currently grinding out classes at my local CC. Right now, I'm scheduled for the EMT course. But due to my high blood pressure (150+/whatever, I've always had high blood pressure, dont worry), and my heart murmur, I may be disqualified for EMT, which means I won't be able to be a Paramedic (my main goal) or a firefighter. I do plan on earning my BA/BS, in what, no idea. Maybe Criminal Justice. I'm not really trying to grind out every Calculus and Chemistry course, so forget any Engineering major.

But I really want to get a career going, so I can make some decent $ while grinding out classes. I don't want to spend my time stocking shelves or doing some useless, menial bullshit. I'd rather go to France and join the French Foreign Legion if that's my only choice. The thing is, I thrive in stress. I could always go to the Academy and become a police officer. But here in the Bay Area, the job market BLOWS for PD's...and every EMS service really. I'm not going to move, as I have no choice since I live at my fathers house.

Sitting day in and day out in class makes me want to stab my neck with a pen. I really need to get something going. To have a real goal to aim for. Because EMT/Paramedics is iffy right now, I need to come up with some other ideas. I've been thinking about a career in Automotives, or perhaps Horitcultural (not stressful, but something I would enjoy). Also Culinary school would be dope. I love to cook, and would love to learn to do some real cooking. I know all the above will probably be require full time student status, which I'm fine with because I will have higher chances to land a meaningful job.

Some people may suggest private contracting...No thanks. There are also personal bodyguard companies which I could easily land, but again, I don't want to spend weeks to months in foreign lands and such protecting some cunt.

Right now though, I'm going to start milking my GI Bill so I will have some cash flow...I'm open to any ideas, especially ideas that have a good projected future.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
If you can hack it, go with an engineering degree. Even if you don't want to be an engineer, it's a degree that actually means something.

Seriously, don't waste your time or GI Bill with worthless shit degrees. Criminal Justice is a really good way to come out of school with nothing to show for it. Ditto for anything liberal arts. You really need to evaluate why you're going to school. Are you doing it just because that's what people do? Or is it absolutely necessary for a particular career field? Since it doesn't seem like you have a career field in mind, you really need to nail that down before wasting time getting a degree. But if you're going to go just to go, you'll be better off with an engineering degree no matter what you decide to do. It's really like the business degree of the 21st century (business degrees being largely worthless, I know, I have one).

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
If you can hack it, go with an engineering degree. Even if you don't want to be an engineer, it's a degree that actually means something.

Seriously, don't waste your time or GI Bill with worthless shit degrees. Criminal Justice is a really good way to come out of school with nothing to show for it. Ditto for anything liberal arts. You really need to evaluate why you're going to school. Are you doing it just because that's what people do? Or is it absolutely necessary for a particular career field? Since it doesn't seem like you have a career field in mind, you really need to nail that down before wasting time getting a degree. But if you're going to go just to go, you'll be better off with an engineering degree no matter what you decide to do. It's really like the business degree of the 21st century (business degrees being largely worthless, I know, I have one).
Accounting is far from worthless.

nate_sl

shitlord
Accounting will net you a competitive pay check and usually only requires a single business calculus class. It's a degree that may not land you a six figure job at any point in your career (though it definitely can), but you will never struggle to find livable pay and will have many job options.

kidRiot_sl

shitlord
Material Engineering sounds interesting...In terms of which school I'd like to attend, probably San Jose State, because it's within driving distance. I'd love UC Berkeley or Santa Cruz, but not trying to make that drive every day/every other day. I know the UC's would be better, and make me more competitive. Not going to dorm it up, and not trying to spend a shit load of cash renting when I can bank my GI cash.

One of my friends from high school has an Electrical Engineering degree and works for Telsa. He's balling now.

Money is not the only thing I am looking for in terms of a career. Accounting sounds pretty fucking lame.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Accounting is far from worthless.
I actually thought about editing that in after posting but said screw it. So yes, accounting is a good business degree. The rest are mostly pointless (economics isn't terrible either). I should point out that mine is in finance. I wish I had gone the accounting route instead.

nate_sl

shitlord
Accounting sounds pretty fucking lame.
Most people wrongly assume that every person with an accounting degree counts beans or does taxes. Far from true. Though you may spend the Junior part of your career doing any number of mostly miserable tasks, you will eventually get past that and be a prime target for a management position, making real decisions and developing higher level business strategies.

In my experience, the above is mostly true for engineering as well... You gotta put in some ground level time before you get to do the cool stuff.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
My best advice is to do something you enjoy rather than something you anticipate will net you the greatest pay check down the road. Having worked both in jobs in my chosen field which I love and jobs outside my field which I hate but do for the nice pay check, I can't imagine working in a career that I don't love long term.

Of the things you mentioned, automotive stuff is probably a pretty sound idea. There are all sorts of angles you can approach that, from being a straight up mechanic to an engineer who designs parts of cars. My friend works as some kind of engineer for ford, designing steering columns or something and he loves it (plus he makes bank).

kidRiot_sl

shitlord
My best advice is to do something you enjoy rather than something you anticipate will net you the greatest pay check down the road.Having worked both in jobs in my chosen field which I love and jobs outside my field which I hate but do for the nice pay check, I can't imagine working in a career that I don't love long term.

Of the things you mentioned, automotive stuff is probably a pretty sound idea. There are all sorts of angles you can approach that, from being a straight up mechanic to an engineer who designs parts of cars. My friend works as some kind of engineer for ford, designing steering columns or something and he loves it (plus he makes bank).
That has always been my mindset. I didn't join the fucking Corps to make $$. I did it because I wanted to. I'm not going to grind out 2+ more years of college learning bullshit I wont apply in real life, end up in a job I have no interest in, and become one of these mindless drones i see day in and day out, grinding out $$ so they can buy more shit that they don't need. I spent 5 years being payed shit, living in shit conditions, working months on end without a day off...And I loved it.

There's a good amount of automotive programs here in the Bay Area, that are reasonably within driving distance. Doing that, while continuing my general education sounds like a better plan than just grinding out my general education to transfer into something that I don't have my heart set on. Believe it or not, I'd rather do construction, or be an oil rig rough neck, than be mail clerk for some company, sitting at a desk, with working for promotions, just to achieve a high pay check? Sorry but to me, there's a lot more to life than $$.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Problem with automotive is if you are a mechanic, you will start out making shit money until you have a good bit of experience under your belt(five years or so). I believe autobody techs in SF are union too so that's a whole new clusterfuck to deal with.

Automotive engineers usually have a decent wage and work seems decent.

kidRiot_sl

shitlord
Problem with automotive is if you are a mechanic, you will start out making shit money until you have a good bit of experience under your belt(five years or so). I believe autobody techs in SF are union too so that's a whole new clusterfuck to deal with.

Automotive engineers usually have a decent wage and work seems decent.
Yeah I was just reading some disgruntled automotive mechanics. Doesn't sound like a good return on the investment (time and money). Well shit, guess in the American system, my only real choice is put my nose to the grind stone and take a fat cock in the ass at the same time.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I was just reading some disgruntled automotive mechanics. Doesn't sound like a good return on the investment (time and money). Well shit, guess in the American system, my only real choice is put my nose to the grind stone and take a fat cock in the ass at the same time.
It's not a bad industry to be in, but you can't be afraid of sweating/getting greasy every day and having to do hard manual labor. Average techs hover around 50ka year and real good ones can get close to 80 or so. Plus, you don't have to worry about corporate crap which is the reason I'm still in it. I could never work in an office where I have to tuck in a shirt or watch my language.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Every mechanic I know who is worth a shit and actually does work makes cake.

The rest are lazy fucks who don't want to work and complain about customers.

kidRiot_sl

shitlord
...Well I'm thinking about dropping my EMT course so I can take the next Pre-Calc course. Yal think that would be a better choice, seem the fact I may be DQ'ed for EMT anyways?

Edit: Fuck it, it's done...Back to the grind of school. Time to apply for some shit menial job. Time to nut up and join this shit system.

kidRiot_sl

shitlord
A lot of the EMT's and paramedics i know are some of the most out of shape unhealthy people i know.
I know. Most people in America are out of shape pieces of shit. But the problem is blood pressure. I talked to my dads wife (nurse), my dad (doctor) and a few other docs. Basically, my blood pressure has always been 150+ (actually went up thanks to the Corps, go figure). I could get on meds, but I'm not a fan of the pharmaceuticals. If I want EMT/Paramedics, it will always be there (plus there are better options in terms of training available). Just lost in life right now, but whatever.

Sterling

El Presidente
A lot of the EMT's and paramedics i know are some of the most out of shape unhealthy people i know.
This is largely true in the health care community in general. Lots of fatass doctors and nurses that eat 50 bags of doritos a week too. I used to work as an EMT-I with some paramedics in the Boston area and honestly the burnout rate is extremely high. It can be quite soulcrushing.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
If automotive mechanic is appealing to you, i would look really hard into the marine mechanic side. Anything from inboards and outboards to marine diesels need constant service and marina's charge a premium. I assume living in California would give you quite a few options. Certified Mercury mechanics working at any of the marina's on the lake around here can make 50k+ (that would be about 80k in California dollars) pretty easy with a few years experience, double that if you can work on the bigger stuff. I have no idea about school or training programs, but im sure you can find a legit one.