Career ideas...

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Get an engineering degree or geology degree, find a job at a mid/major oil company and thank me later. No industry in the world pays as much for the amount of effort required. With a BADM degree from a state school I was earning 6 figures within 3 years of college graduation. Recent grads w/ engi/geo degrees are earning 6 figures right now directly out of school, and are often recruited before they graduate.

Nobody wants to be an accountant, so stay away from that (unless you LOVE being knee deep in pussy 24/7).

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If automotive mechanic is appealing to you, i would look really hard into the marine mechanic side. Anything from inboards and outboards to marine diesels need constant service and marina's charge a premium. I assume living in California would give you quite a few options. Certified Mercury mechanics working at any of the marina's on the lake around here can make 50k+ (that would be about 80k in California dollars) pretty easy with a few years experience, double that if you can work on the bigger stuff. I have no idea about school or training programs, but im sure you can find a legit one.
Or how about aircraft? Maybe helicopter mechanic? You could work for the government/military/corps again potentially. I'd guess your service might be nice on the resume for that too. I have no actual knowledge of that path but just to continue on the mechanic concepts.

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
Get an engineering degree or geology degree, find a job at a mid/major oil company and thank me later. No industry in the world pays as much for the amount of effort required. With a BADM degree from a state school I was earning 6 figures within 3 years of college graduation. Recent grads w/ engi/geo degrees are earning 6 figures right now directly out of school, and are often recruited before they graduate.

Nobody wants to be an accountant, so stay away from that (unless you LOVE being knee deep in pussy 24/7).
This. I majored in philosophy and minored in logic because I had my eye set on law school, but if I had to do it over again, I would get a degree in petroleum engineering.Average starting salary right after graduating is like $90,000.And what's more exciting than working in an industry based on digging for burried treasure?

rrr_img_43779.png

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Don't get a degree if you don't know what you'll do with it. Don't go to college because it's "what people do." Go to college because it will get you the specific job or range of jobs you desire, or dont go. There are way too many people with worthless bachelors degrees and not enough skilled tradesmen.

Most people aren't lucky enough to discover what they love to do, and those that know are rarely lucky enough to actually do it. Do something practical

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Figure out what you're passionate about and do that. Only go to school if it's something you have to do to get where you're going, but a college degree is a means to an end, not an end in itself. Picking a career based on the average starting salary of a college grad is a good way to get into a job you hate IF you even finish college. If it's something you're not really interested in then you will probably quit college and flush tens of thousands of dollars down the toilet.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Also keep in mind that the only way to get rich in America is to start a business. You might have a good living working for some big corporation, but you'll never have more than that. In addition, running your own business is something that's easy to be passionate about.

From your posts in this thread you don't strike me as the type that wants to sit at a desk and jerk off a computer all day. That is what the vast majority of engineers do, and even if you do find that you love designing and building stuff, the only way to advance as an engineer in most companies is to move into management, which is another paperwork and dealing with people's bullshit job. Learning a trade (welder, electrician, plumber, carpenter, etc.) and then going off on your own once you have learned the business is a great way to wind up owning a company. Also, if you get into it a ways decide that running a company is too much work and you would rather work 9-5 and take lots of breaks and make good money, you can always join the union instead and make as much as most people with a college degree do.

kidRiot_sl

shitlord
I really would love to do something in the medical field. After theorycrafting with a few people bright people, I'm really leaning towards RN. My dads a doc, his wife is a nurse at Stanford. As far as schooling, SFSU is top Bay for RN, with SJSU right behind it, which is a huge plus because SJSU is within reasonable distance. Also I have a good amount of transfer credits completed at my CC.

Plus I look dope in scrubs...I feel way more enthusiastic pursuing a BS in Nursing compared to other majors. Also the VA Hospital is near by, and in terms of hiring, vet's get priority.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
If i knew then, what i know now i would have gone to Nursing School right out of HS. You wont get rich (unless you become a nurse practitioner and open a doc in a box type clinic) but you will make a fine living and be able to work anywhere you want.

Pollo

Silver Knight of the Realm
Fuck all that. Business Administration if you can stomach being in charge of people cuz that shit is easy. If you really want to do vocational, HVAC or welding $$$.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
You really think someone's going to put you in charge of people just because you have a business admin degree? Good luck with that line of thinking.

Farim_sl

shitlord
If you're interested in the medical field, I would highly recommend looking into fields other than Nursing. There are a lot of folks who simply choose medical school or nursing due to a desire to work in the medical field without looking at all the options. There are a myriad of tech jobs (Radiology, Xray), laboratory, or clinical (Respiratory therapy, Perfusionist, Speech/Language Pathologist, Physical Therapy) positions that will put you in the medical field and may be a better long term fit.

However, if you really are passionate about nursing disregard all of the above
biggrin.png

Pollo

Silver Knight of the Realm
You really think someone's going to put you in charge of people just because you have a business admin degree? Good luck with that line of thinking.
6 years of prior military experience plus a BA degree will net you more than you think (my stepdad is CEO of Potbelly, was CEO of Sears. I trust his opinion on the matter more than yours, no offense). No one ever said you didn't have to run the wickets. You are correct that just having a BA (fuck even an MBA) and they'll put you in charge of shit is reaching. However, I'd rather be doing operations over some brain dead shit like accounting.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well, considering I did 6 years in the Army and have a business degree, I think I know pretty well that no one is going to put you in charge of shit with just that.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
My experience. It's a lot harder to get your career up and running w/o a degree, but once you're foot is in the door if you have good business insight and leadership skills you can be put in charge of shit with no degree. Just need to have the right attitude and put in a lot of effort.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Well, considering I did 6 years in the Army and have a business degree, I think I know pretty well that no one is going to put you in charge of shit with just that.
What Elurin said unless you are coming out after a long time of service as a major or Lt CDR or something. Also, my dad can beat up your dad.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
6 years of prior military experience plus a BA degree will net you more than you think (my stepdad is CEO of Potbelly, was CEO of Sears. I trust his opinion on the matter more than yours, no offense). No one ever said you didn't have to run the wickets. You are correct that just having a BA (fuck even an MBA) and they'll put you in charge of shit is reaching. However, I'd rather be doing operations over some brain dead shit like accounting.
damn dude I love Potbelly. I also love working in Operations. Let's exchange contact info.

p.s. I live in Chicago

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
There are a myriad of tech jobs (Radiology, Xray), laboratory, or clinical (Respiratory therapy, Perfusionist, Speech/Language Pathologist, Physical Therapy) positions that will put you in the medical field and may be a better long term fit.
None of these jobs involve wiping shit off of an old lady. Nursing on the other hand, does. That said, an RN is pretty much never going to be out of work.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is everyone on this board like a former army guy? Jesus christ, did you faggots just play EQ all through high school and had no other life options?

I'm genuinely curious.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Business Administration is about on par with General Studies. And yes, most degrees are worthless. For sciences, expect to need at least a masters to go anywhere. Engineering is always a solid bet. There are a few others, like statistics, food science, and a few decent business degrees (IS and accounting). For everything else, just go to work. Experience in most other fields replaces any degree requirements, and you get paid to do it.

Diesel mechanic might not be bad though.