Career ideas...

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I know around Boston we have a lot of IT work. Not sure how difficult or easy it is to nail one of those jobs, but I have at least one friend earning $150K/yr doing IT (FROM HOME NO LESS FUCK)

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I know around Boston we have a lot of IT work. Not sure how difficult or easy it is to nail one of those jobs, but I have at least one friend earning $150K/yr doing IT (FROM HOME NO LESS FUCK)
Yeah, I know from personal experience that there are lots of remote IT-related positions with the government as well. If anyone has trouble finding a decent IT job in a specific area, try looking into remote work.

*Edit* I should add, lots of remotecontract workavailable, not permanent positions.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
I got my associates degree in nursing through a small, Baptist school affiliated with one of the local hospital. The program prepares you to be minimally competent in all nursing specialties. My favorite rotation was psychiatry and I worked there as a nurses aide through school. If you are an RN, you can work on any unit. However, the skills required for psychiatry are vastly different than other floors and extra training is helpful. I don't know of a seperate licensure that is strictly psychiatric nursing. There is a certification offered througj the ANCC for psych certification but its not mandatory. So, once you are an RN, you could hop right into psychiatry

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I know from personal experience that there are lots of remote IT-related positions with the government as well. If anyone has trouble finding a decent IT job in a specific area, try looking into remote work.

*Edit* I should add, lots of remotecontract workavailable, not permanent positions.
Clarify "remote"

piggvomit_sl

shitlord
I'm and RN and have been one in an ER for about 4.5 years. My wife graduates in May with her Physicians Assistant degree. We are not from rich familys and have worked our asses off the past 8 years, but it will pay off soon. I want to start a lawncare type buisness on the side and work at the hospital 1-2 days a week. Should pull me in the same amount of money and the lawncare stuff (tax free fuck the man). Anyways there is good money in medicine but I don't want to go back to school but want to venture out and find other things I can make money in now that my wife is going to be making good money soonish.

I didn't want her to become a nurse because its a hard field. Physicians Assistant is the way to go- Walk around in a white coat writing prescriptions and making 3x the amount I am. I bust my fucking ass

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I'm and RN and have been one in an ER for about 4.5 years. My wife graduates in May with her Physicians Assistant degree. We are not from rich familys and have worked our asses off the past 8 years, but it will pay off soon. I want to start a lawncare type buisness on the side and work at the hospital 1-2 days a week. Should pull me in the same amount of money and the lawncare stuff (tax free fuck the man). Anyways there is good money in medicine but I don't want to go back to school but want to venture out and find other things I can make money in now that my wife is going to be making good money soonish.

I didn't want her to become a nurse because its a hard field. Physicians Assistant is the way to go- Walk around in a white coat writing prescriptions and making 3x the amount I am. I bust my fucking ass
PA's bust their asses too. A good friend of mine is a PA in neo-natal. She works like 65 hours a week and is salaried so doesn't make OT. PA's are basically doctors bitches my man.

krysanth

Golden Knight of the Realm
Here's my situation: 25 years old, Marine Corps Infantry Vet (5 years). Currently grinding out classes at my local CC. Right now, I'm scheduled for the EMT course. But due to my high blood pressure (150+/whatever, I've always had high blood pressure, dont worry), and my heart murmur, I may be disqualified for EMT, which means I won't be able to be a Paramedic (my main goal) or a firefighter. I do plan on earning my BA/BS, in what, no idea. Maybe Criminal Justice. I'm not really trying to grind out every Calculus and Chemistry course, so forget any Engineering major.

But I really want to get a career going, so I can make some decent $ while grinding out classes. I don't want to spend my time stocking shelves or doing some useless, menial bullshit. I'd rather go to France and join the French Foreign Legion if that's my only choice. The thing is, I thrive in stress. I could always go to the Academy and become a police officer. But here in the Bay Area, the job market BLOWS for PD's...and every EMS service really. I'm not going to move, as I have no choice since I live at my fathers house.

Sitting day in and day out in class makes me want to stab my neck with a pen. I really need to get something going. To have a real goal to aim for. Because EMT/Paramedics is iffy right now, I need to come up with some other ideas. I've been thinking about a career in Automotives, or perhaps Horitcultural (not stressful, but something I would enjoy). Also Culinary school would be dope. I love to cook, and would love to learn to do some real cooking. I know all the above will probably be require full time student status, which I'm fine with because I will have higher chances to land a meaningful job.

Some people may suggest private contracting...No thanks. There are also personal bodyguard companies which I could easily land, but again, I don't want to spend weeks to months in foreign lands and such protecting some cunt.

Right now though, I'm going to start milking my GI Bill so I will have some cash flow...I'm open to any ideas, especially ideas that have a good projected future.
Why would HTN prevent you from being an EMT or medic? I don't understand where you get that. Seem to be making an excuse for yourself. Get your EMT then medic and test for every fire department in your area. Do not work private EMS. Why not fix your diet and work out some more to get your HTN controlled? Even with meds. you can control it.

Who told you it would disqualify you? Your military service will count as points in the civil service exam, giving you a leg up. You should educate yourself on the testing process and get at it.

This is largely true in the health care community in general. Lots of fatass doctors and nurses that eat 50 bags of doritos a week too. I used to work as an EMT-I with some paramedics in the Boston area and honestly the burnout rate is extremely high. It can be quite soulcrushing.
This is probably true of private EMS services which I advise no one to do. People stuck in private EMS are usually out of shape hacks who can't with a municipal service or Fire Department. They also make shit pay and don't do real emergency work. FDs have physical tests so you have to be in shape to get the job.