Carry-on luggage?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Is anyone particularly happy with their carry-on luggage? I've bought a small one a long time ago, but Lufthansa managed to break it after making me check it...

I had a 21'' that was supposed to conform with airline requirements, but when I stuffed it full, it was actually a little too thick. Ideally, I'd like to avoid that going forward - hence why I don't just try to find the same one again.

Any suggestions?

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
Victorinox WT

I have one that's been all over the world, no issues. It's the smaller international size, I've never had a problem with overhead bins.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/produc...ling/porter_46

Foam on 3 sides for shape, pretty decent backpack and hip straps which you can all stow away, one large main pocket with mesh on two sides to organise papers and small items plus a top pocket for liquids or whatnot.

I rarely check luggage and traveled around the world with that thing. Fairly inexpensive bag all considered, but if you ever want a non wheeled carry-on that's one that does the job pretty damn well.*

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
Just ordered two of those osprey packs for a 15th anniversary trip to Jamaica with the wife next month. Looks like a perfect carry-on

I was flying out and I met my friend at the airport.

I paid to have my baggage checked in but my friend had like 5 carry ons. I was like wtf broseph hows that gonna work.

the TSA guys didn't seem to give a shit and the flight attendants who check the plane ticket didn't care either. Even got to the door right before you get on the plane and one of the baggage handlers put my friends extra carry ons in the cargo hold. I'm wondering if that's a common thing?

It might be a way to save a few bucks if you are running low on funds.

prescient

Tumi Alpha Internationalis a very nice carry-on. I'm on a plane at least 2x a week, and it hasn't let me down.Briggs & Rileyhas a better warranty but I don't like the way the handles are attached which causes you to lose volume in the actual case. Both of these carry-ons are pretty pricey so that should be a concern if you aren't traveling constantly. I managed to get my Tumi at an outlet for $360. If you are looking for something that isn't as nice but will still last you a while the Travel Pro Crew 9 is nice. In general you are going to want to purchase the international size of any luggage (typically 19 or 20" in length), and that will keep you compliant with airline size restrictions. I wouldn't be concerned about the smaller size as I've managed to do a month+ with a carry on that size, some efficient packing, and a few dry cleaning bills.

That porter pack is pretty cool, but won't be compliant with some airlines and international travel. I imagine that it's pretty stuffable so you could make it work.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
Got my osprey porter packs last week and you'd have to stuff it to the max to even approach the size limit. I can't wait to fill it up before my trip on the 19th.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
Tumi Alpha Internationalis a very nice carry-on. I'm on a plane at least 2x a week, and it hasn't let me down.Briggs & Rileyhas a better warranty but I don't like the way the handles are attached which causes you to lose volume in the actual case. Both of these carry-ons are pretty pricey so that should be a concern if you aren't traveling constantly. I managed to get my Tumi at an outlet for $360. If you are looking for something that isn't as nice but will still last you a while the Travel Pro Crew 9 is nice. In general you are going to want to purchase the international size of any luggage (typically 19 or 20" in length), and that will keep you compliant with airline size restrictions. I wouldn't be concerned about the smaller size as I've managed to do a month+ with a carry on that size, some efficient packing, and a few dry cleaning bills.

That porter pack is pretty cool, but won't be compliant with some airlines and international travel. I imagine that it's pretty stuffable so you could make it work.
I also have that Tumi, albeit last year's model because I too got it at an outlet, but I paid a smooth 400 I think. It really is quite nice. I think the only thing I've noticed that it "doesn't have" are the raised wheels so you can roll it in any direction, instead of just forward and backward. But I prefer this style with the recessed wheels making for an even box shape. Plus people who push around luggage while it's standing up look weird, and I like to carry my bag a lot to maintain a little muscle action before sitting in a chair for 12 hours.

prescient

You lose a good chunk of storage on those weird 4 wheel suitcases. They also seem to be harder to get into the overhead compartments, but that could be a function of mainly women using that type of suitcase. At any rate don't buy one because you lose space and they probably break more often.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Let's see if we can get any updates on FoH Bros recommendations for luggage! It's been 5 years. :)

I travel a bunch for work and while I drive 90% of the time, sometimes my trips are 1 day, 2-3 days, a week, or 2 weeks. All of my trips fit into those time frames basically, and so I'm not taking a huge suitcase for a 2-3 day trip. I've gotten by on some duffel bags, but not really a fan of that either.

Have a pretty big suitcase that works great for the week long trips, but I'm struggling with the smaller stuff. Recommendations?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Luggage is one thing I go almost completely bargain bin on. I just go to Ross and find anything with the compartments I value most. I have luggage I've had for damn near 10 years that still in perfect working order. Only one I bought ended up being a dud.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
as long as it doesn't fall apart on you, i learned to stay away from bargain bin luggage, all it takes is a bad trip. On a long tour of italy bargain bin 27in couldn't survive cobblestones and going up and down rough terrain.

yea the old advice is still good, if you can avoid it, do not buy the spinners (4 wheels), prone to breaking and harder to fit, but bitches love em.

it's probably gonna be personal preference, i've bought a bit of luggage at the outlets, specifically wilson leather, they have a lot of wholesale luggage, don't expect to find a matching set tho.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I traveled a lot for work a while back and went through a few different suit cases. I have a travel pro now which I checked into after seeing some of the flight crew using them. It is excellent, seems well made, and feels very sturdy. I don't travel nearly as much anymore but this feels much better made than my previous bags and is still in like new condition after 2 years. It also has well made wheels that look like they would be hard to break unlike the other bags ive bad. I have had 2 wheeled versions and 4 before.

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Titan Backpack

Multiple warzones, many trans Pacific flights over the last 10 it so years and it still looks new. Also has a lifetime warranty, never had a better bag for anything.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
But where do your clothes go? Backpacks are only good for one night trips. And for business you probably have clothing you don't want to stuff into a backpack.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
But where do your clothes go? Backpacks are only good for one night trips. And for business you probably have clothing you don't want to stuff into a backpack.
Personally, I can stuff 3 days of clothes in it with a 17 inch laptop, charger and accessories. Phone chargers, and other accessories also. Will also fit in the overhead bins

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Personally, I can stuff 3 days of clothes in it with a 17 inch laptop, charger and accessories. Phone chargers, and other accessories also. Will also fit in the overhead bins
i remember i had to get a flight to ny, united only had basic economy left.

no matter, i just had to get there.

the day of, i like most ppl with a phone do electronic check in, invalid. after a few tries i find out, i have to goto the desk, and "weigh" my personal item, cuz i booked basic economy.