Carry-on luggage?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Superhiro

Silver Knight of the Realm
I live and work abroad, and travel regularly. Good luggage is crucial.

Luggage set:
Delsey Aero 3 piece
desley3p.jpg

Carry-on backpack:
Minaal 2.0
minaal2.jpg

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
We got the Delsey’s too. I put a blue Leonardo sticker on mine to easily spot at the gate when they pass them out.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Former luggage salesman.

Delsey is generally good stuff; they're kind of the European Samsonite.

Swiss Army can be good, although you want to make sure that you get Victorinox rather than Wenger, because Wenger is the budget brand of Swiss Army, kind of like American Tourister is Samsonite's budget brand.

Be sure to check out Travelpro; they were the ones who originally came up with the upright pullman design (the wheeled type with a handle that pretty much everyone uses these days instead of trunks), have a lot of endorsements from pilots and flight crew, and they have a lifetime warranty. Back when I was selling, they also produced some of their pieces domestically, although I don't know if that's still the case.

Get either softside luggage that uses ballistic nylon fabric or a hardside. Spinner wheels are more maneuverable, but there are some tradeoffs: you have four points of potential mechanical failure rather than two, and they are bad impact targets because they jut out from the body unlike traditional wheels.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Former luggage salesman.

Delsey is generally good stuff; they're kind of the European Samsonite.

Swiss Army can be good, although you want to make sure that you get Victorinox rather than Wenger, because Wenger is kind of like the American Tourister-y budget brand of Swiss Army.

Be sure to check out Travelpro; they were the ones who originally came up with the upright pullman design (the wheeled type with a handle that pretty much everyone uses these days instead of trunks), have a lot of endorsements from pilots and flight crew, and they have a lifetime warranty. Back when I was selling, they also produced some of their pieces domestically, although I don't know if that's still the case.

Get either softside luggage that uses ballistic nylon fabric or a hardside. Spinner wheels are more maneuverable, but there are some tradeoffs: you have four points of potential mechanical failure rather than two, and they are bad impact targets because they jut out from the body unlike traditional wheels.
why do i see pilots do this?
jhookuni.jpg

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
why do i see pilots do this?
jhookuni.jpg

It lets them keep one hand free until they get to whereever it is that they need to be. Additionally, it's easier to cart down a narrow aisle when the pieces are tied together.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
It lets them keep one hand free until they get to whereever it is that they need to be. Additionally, it's easier to cart down a narrow aisle when the pieces are tied together.
do they also have a bag dress code? i don't think i've ever seen a pilot w/ a fuchsia bag

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
do they also have a bag dress code? i don't think i've ever seen a pilot w/ a fuchsia bag

That I'm not sure about; I do know certain airlines provide "company luggage" to pilots; others do not. A lot of times, pilots and flight attendants do pimp out their own luggage with custom mods. For example, they replace the OEM wheels with wheels from roller blades because they are said to be more durable.

Luggage colors have their own strengths and drawbacks. Light colors tend to show dirt, while dark colors can get white abrasion streaks from being dragged.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Bought 2 I guess 26in rolling luggaes in Japan, moved around fine, pushed like a dream, light, 2kgs when empty, filled to 21kg, 47lbs of souveners.