Casual Conversation

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
sounds like a new house tax to me? also what percent?

Yeah it kind of is like a new house tax. I honestly don't know how they determine the amount, because the moment I hear there is a Mello-Roos I just look elsewhere. It *might* be OK if you were buying for a primary home that you knew you were going to be in for a long time and you have kids so it makes sense to pay for new schools.....but I'm looking for investment properties and that just takes away from net profits. So I don't know how they determine how much you pay, but I do know it can be hundreds to even thousands of dollars A MONTH, and it is usually for DECADES (20+ years or more). It's significant.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, pretty interested as well. I'm about an hour south of you

I have a whole house fan, and I also went with Quiet Cool. No regrets EXCEPT I got the fancy wi-fi app control instead of getting it hard-wired to a wall controller. I thought it would be cool to turn on the fan anywhere in the house. The problem is the power went out in my house once, and the whole damn thing reset so it didn't work. You would think it would be a quick fix, like just need to direct it back to your router......but it was a complete pain in the ass to get it working again. Required being on the phone with a rep for hours, and then having someone come out to fix it manually.

I got the fan installed 2 years ago and at that time the remote control via app thing was new, so maybe now it's been improved upon. But if I had to do it over again I would just get a wall control installed to save the hassle I went through.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
I have a whole house fan, and I also went with Quiet Cool. No regrets EXCEPT I got the fancy wi-fi app control instead of getting it hard-wired to a wall controller. I thought it would be cool to turn on the fan anywhere in the house. The problem is the power went out in my house once, and the whole damn thing reset so it didn't work. You would think it would be a quick fix, like just need to direct it back to your router......but it was a complete pain in the ass to get it working again. Required being on the phone with a rep for hours, and then having someone come out to fix it manually.

I got the fan installed 2 years ago and at that time the remote control via app thing was new, so maybe now it's been improved upon. But if I had to do it over again I would just get a wall control installed to save the hassle I went through.

Interesting. My new house has a whole home 3rd gen Nest thermostat so I was wondering if there was a way to easily combine it with the quick-cool system. The guy that did all the HVAC installations and repairs on the place said it should be possible but I don't want to have to wait if it resets itself. I'm sure you could just go up and manually turn it back on right?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah it kind of is like a new house tax. I honestly don't know how they determine the amount, because the moment I hear there is a Mello-Roos I just look elsewhere. It *might* be OK if you were buying for a primary home that you knew you were going to be in for a long time and you have kids so it makes sense to pay for new schools.....but I'm looking for investment properties and that just takes away from net profits. So I don't know how they determine how much you pay, but I do know it can be hundreds to even thousands of dollars A MONTH, and it is usually for DECADES (20+ years or more). It's significant.
i didn't know what it was called "mello-roos", hell my worthless agent didn't either till i mentioned new house tax and he's like "yea thats a nice way to put it", i'm like how else would you put it?

From when i did research it's usually 1%, cali goes crazy w/ 2%, and usually lasts 15years.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Interesting. My new house has a whole home 3rd gen Nest thermostat so I was wondering if there was a way to easily combine it with the quick-cool system. The guy that did all the HVAC installations and repairs on the place said it should be possible but I don't want to have to wait if it resets itself. I'm sure you could just go up and manually turn it back on right?

What? Go up in the attic? But that's where IT lives!!!

Jokes aside, no it wasn't that easy. You have to have the company reset things on their end as well. Like I said, this was 2 years ago so maybe they have streamlined things by now, but be sure to check first and ask the hard questions I neglected to ask.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Story time.
The brand new dishwasher that I bought (6/13/2018)for my rental is polling water on the bottom, making a putrid swamp smell afterward. It is not draining properly. I believe the term is
called water back flow. So I purchased it from Home depot and they installed it, it worked fine, but the problem went unnoticed for one month because my tenant barely uses the dishwasher.

I've purchased the 5 year plan, and time professional installation ($99.00), so i went to complain to home depot. They agreed to send a technician to look at it. the technitian looks at this and says. "oh that is an installation problem , i cant help you." and goes back into the car.

Apparently the guaranties does not cover bad installation work.

jkKcO-4BWWsbfHhXSIUACYX_ZM3yHiYnon_Xb9yRs4zH6ylJeCVAJzSn2w70jYm_lakseICDyz765RKy9nx0w6-tw7fTeW70_GkzaDSvgTVP-gwMcMxZjA0rd5Z-WmRqXPGq9SVAQX13XtpWHiq11-HhOxDaXKjIR4IGYQkkSbIoO7TjugT33BClipArNRXQ5ylbrZSRWWIIWcGMfebBnGX6qjnzizMadc_ivL5xP2Bks6i7l_Y_bGQ7hz5fESczlSZ-NyWZ4gg4QmwaEXcxyh9I-TdEMxpCrFBqoWSSfDgL96ArzkEZgvPQEBajQi0_XkLB6HpFgOXsiNF-ENDNCfV74v6ZDrSUfJygKlTKrewtX6LvEx6GiDitbN97wB0hum-HyBD5VGzQyZEhuDiiJM5HvzVKv8aTMC7dzZ1vyhfOpoAX5hL5senlLEbf_7_9Inrv5zyCxOYlcQ1eb3KlEg1edSuWcdroHezS6CT2vBirTB-d5dTKOjC4KDdevsvfYWAsLdxEvmt-_28zadHxAiAFDvAa9fPulouj7bIPbTJ4ITzD4RPEDhi3NrgpUZzkC8FNWdW869BLkJpWoRAn3bSrl6-5h8l8b6asvRIm=w1011-h1347-no

So I go back to home depot once again, and sat with them for 2 hours, they are trying to get the installer company to come back, because its supposed to be done like this.

Dishwasher-Drain-Loop-Diagram.jpg

Installer company refuses because I took to long to report it (It was at the day 36, max was 30 days). So after some minor back and forth, the manager offers a full refund, and for me to buy a new one, with a new installation and new service plan. They will waive the restocking fee.

I never had that much problem with a brand new dishwasher before .

If you knew what the problem was why didn't you just get an anchor and raise the hose yourself? take like a minute wouldn't waste all those resources.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Anyone else seen Mars lately? Pretty cool.

I remember when my dad woke our whole family up (dating myself here) to come see Haley's Comet in the middle of the night. He had this really old 1960s telescope the size of a fridge and when he was waking up the whole family he told me and my siblings, "you'll probably be dead of your own stupidity the next time this thing is around... get outside...now".

So now I want to buy a good telescope.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

mine was hard wired to a switch. pretty sure you can get timer switches hard wired too which would be nice. all the better, pretty sure you could hard wire it to an external/internal temperature gauge to turn on at XX temp, which would be awesome and what I plan to do when I get one in stalled in my new place.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

it would be an oversight by nest if you couldn't

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
If you knew what the problem was why didn't you just get an anchor and raise the hose yourself? take like a minute wouldn't waste all those resources.
Because i paid $99.00 for a professional installation, in a nutshell. I know it sounds ridiculous, but its the principle of the thing.

• 1Solidarity

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone else seen Mars lately? Pretty cool.

I remember when my dad woke our whole family up (dating myself here) to come see Haley's Comet in the middle of the night. He had this really old 1960s telescope the size of a fridge and when he was waking up the whole family he told me and my siblings, "you'll probably be dead of your own stupidity the next time this thing is around... get outside...now".

So now I want to buy a good telescope.

I saw it in the sky, figured it was Mars, but wanted to prove to my girlfriend that I was right... Figured someone had probably made a smartphone app that uses GPS, camera, altimeter and whatnot to help identify celestial objects. Found one called Star Walk 2 that lets you point your phone anywhere in the sky and it will tell you what in space you're looking at. Pretty neat to dick around with for a bit, try it out if you're bored some night man.

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Leaving work early today for a dental visit. I'm getting a couple fillings I've been putting off the last two visits.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
it would be an oversight by nest if you couldn't
Yeah I agree. I'll be calling them beforehand to make sure it's got good integration.
I saw it in the sky, figured it was Mars, but wanted to prove to my girlfriend that I was right... Figured someone had probably made a smartphone app that uses GPS, camera, altimeter and whatnot to help identify celestial objects. Found one called Star Walk 2 that lets you point your phone anywhere in the sky and it will tell you what in space you're looking at. Pretty neat to dick around with for a bit, try it out if you're bored some night man.
Star Walk 2 is one of my favorites. One of the few apps I've paid for.

• 1Solidarity

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I agree. I'll be calling them beforehand to make sure it's got good integration.

Star Walk 2 is one of my favorites. One of the few apps I've paid for.

Google Sky Map (Think it's just called "Sky Map") is also really good, used it to try and take some shit tier star photos a while back and it did amazingly well in showing me where to look but, unfortunately didn't tell me how to work my camera. I really want to use it again when I hit up where my parents live over Christmas, they basically have 0 light pollution, it used to be during summer that you could go out and watch satellites pass by overhead when it got dark enough.

---

In other news...today is a comical day in "Work from home" land. The kid is basically figuring out every possible combination of words to use to ask me to turn on the TV to various programs. It is a pretty funny game overall when I'm not neck deep in working.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
...it used to be during summer that you could go out and watch satellites pass by overhead when it got dark enough.
One of the biggest bummers about LA is the lack of a night sky. When I'm back in NM it's like being on a totally different planet with just how deep the sky is.

Also no goddamn thunderstorms. What the Fuck Los Angeles.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm in LA right now. It's been quite a while since I've been here. Forgot how much better SF is.

I do like being able to wear short sleeves at night though.