Casual Conversation

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Wait...a zero turn mower?

I mean I know what a ridable mower but what gives on that name?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Especially now that they have flexible shark fittings. Turns a few hour job into 30 min.
a few months ago amazon had a sale on sharkbite fittings for a buck each, bought 20 just in case, usually they 6bucks.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
My apartment complex has decided that they’re going to “offer” in unit washer/dryers now for another $50/mo and will be taking out the shared washer/dryers in the basement as well as closing the basement off, meaning one area of storage will be lost. For the washer/dryer install, they ripped up the linen closet next to the bathroom, leaving just the coat closet and the bedroom closet for storage now (there was still room for a single shelf in the linen closet but that’s it). Had to figure out where to store all the towels, toilet paper, cat litter, etc. which was annoying. Apparently starting with the next lease they’re no longer going to include water, sewer and garbage in our rent like it currently is. That and they’ll probably up base rent as usual, so now I’m wanting to move the fuck out before my rent starts hitting $1k/mo vs. the $795 I started at 2 years ago.

Figure we can afford a house in this area in the $150-200k range. Looked around a bit, saw some nice places. Then I saw the fucking property taxes. Fucking $4-6k in just taxes for houses that aren’t even $200k? The fuck is this insane garbage? And most of these houses look like trailer shit and built in the 50s and are falling apart. We were planning on maybe staying here for ~10 years while my fiancé gets his teaching certs masters degree all taken care of, along with maybe having some of his loans paid for working at a title 1 school. Instead we might just say fuck it and get the hell out of this state. Damn near everything about NY sucks ass.

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Figure we can afford a house in this area in the $150-200k range. Looked around a bit, saw some nice places. Then I saw the fucking property taxes. Fucking $4-6k in just taxes for houses that aren’t even $200k? The fuck is this insane garbage? And most of these houses look like trailer shit and built in the 50s and are falling apart. We were planning on maybe staying here for ~10 years while my fiancé gets his teaching certs masters degree all taken care of, along with maybe having some of his loans paid for working at a title 1 school. Instead we might just say fuck it and get the hell out of this state. Damn near everything about NY sucks ass.
my house was accessed at 170 and i payed 3k taxes on it, 1.568%, freaking high considering i live in dirt shit topeka. what part of ny you live in, cuz property taxes vary hugely, my moms 700k home in brooklyn is about 4k in taxes cuz the rate is .65%

i found New York Property Tax Calculator | SmartAsset.com a good place for property tax stuff, also if you look on zillow and scroll to the bottom and click on price/tax history, click the tax tab and it should bring you to the county website, etc.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
As much as I hate about Florida, taxes are one of the thing I like. My house is assessed way under its value and with homestead exemption on top of that, I'm paying under 1000/yr in tax for a townhouse with a market value of around 225k.

• 1Solidarity

Izo

Tranny Chaser
As much as I hate about Florida, taxes are one of the thing I like. My house is assessed way under its value and with homestead exemption on top of that, I'm paying under 1000/yr in tax for a townhouse with a market value of around 225k.
Florida man likes taxes.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I’d been browsing Zillow and checking the taxes section on there. It just seems that even inside Monroe county where I’m at, this shit swings wildly. I know I have to declare what school district I’m in on my taxes, so maybe it’s that? That’s a big ass difference in some cases though. I’ll check that county website. Was just funny since I was also perusing houses down near Frederick, MD where we eventually want to move and seeing $250-300k houses with like a half to a third of the damn taxes, heh.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, I’d been browsing Zillow and checking the taxes section on there. It just seems that even inside Monroe county where I’m at, this shit swings wildly. I know I have to declare what school district I’m in on my taxes, so maybe it’s that? That’s a big ass difference in some cases though. I’ll check that county website. Was just funny since I was also perusing houses down near Frederick, MD where we eventually want to move and seeing $250-300k houses with like a half to a third of the damn taxes, heh.
Yeah, I'm in Broward and the tax assessment on my house is undervalued. I'm fully prepared to eat a much higher rate when we eventually sell and move into a bigger place.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Yeah, I'm in Broward and the tax assessment on my house is undervalued. I'm fully prepared to eat a much higher rate when we eventually sell and move into a bigger place.
Florida man can't get enough of taxes. I need a Leffe.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
My parents pay 1/2 the taxes in Cali on a 700k+ home than I will on a 300k home in Texas. I'm wondering if Texas will pass the same law as Cali did, it was on the Republican Ballot, where they limit the amount of property taxes that can be pulled in some manner or another.

That bill had some pretty interesting effects on the Cali housing market.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Thinking about cooling my attic with one of those little spinny roof fans, anyone know if it’s worth getting the electric one vs the regular old one?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Thinking about cooling my attic with one of those little spinny roof fans, anyone know if it’s worth getting the electric one vs the regular old one?

for a 2k (ish) investment you could get a quite whole house fan, which does the same thing + when it cools below whatever you have your house temp set at you get that thing going with windows open and you have a nice cool breeze through the house all night long. It gave us an extra 1-3 hours before our AC kicked on during the day (depending on how deep into summer we were). I've got to imagine it pays for itself within three years, and it's just awesome getting that cool air flowing.

quietcool is the only way to go, most other ones are loud as fuck:

Whole House Fan | QuietCool Whole House Fans

• 1Like

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
My parents pay 1/2 the taxes in Cali on a 700k+ home than I will on a 300k home in Texas. I'm wondering if Texas will pass the same law as Cali did, it was on the Republican Ballot, where they limit the amount of property taxes that can be pulled in some manner or another.

That bill had some pretty interesting effects on the Cali housing market.

I doubt it. The reason Texas property taxes are high is because they don't have a state income tax, so they have to generate revenue somewhere.

In California, we have Prop 13, which was passed ages ago. This limits the maximum allowable property tax to be about 1%. Obviously a nice thing overall for home owners, but the problem is with new construction, because a 1% property tax isn't always going to be enough to build all the new schools, roads, public areas, etc. that come with a growing community. So we have something called a Mello-Roos, which is an additional tax assessment made for some new communities (those that vote for it). So when you buy in newer areas in CA, you always have to ask if there is a Mello-Roos for that development. I personally avoid Mello-Roos like the plague.

So your parents may pay less in property taxes than you do in TX, but they pay about 10% in state income taxes that you don't have to pay.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So we have something called a Mello-Roos, which is an additional tax assessment made for some new communities (those that vote for it). So when you buy in newer areas in CA, you always have to ask if there is a Mello-Roos for that development. I personally avoid Mello-Roos like the plague.

So your parents may pay less in property taxes than you do in TX, but they pay about 10% in state income taxes that you don't have to pay.
sounds like a new house tax to me? also what percent?

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
for a 2k (ish) investment you could get a quite whole house fan, which does the same thing + when it cools below whatever you have your house temp set at you get that thing going with windows open and you have a nice cool breeze through the house all night long. It gave us an extra 1-3 hours before our AC kicked on during the day (depending on how deep into summer we were). I've got to imagine it pays for itself within three years, and it's just awesome getting that cool air flowing.

quietcool is the only way to go, most other ones are loud as fuck:

Whole House Fan | QuietCool Whole House Fans
I'm looking into one of these for new house. Cool to know it works as advertised.