Chapter 7 Bankruptcy & Renting Issues

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fucker

Log Wizard
That's insane. Even in rapidly growing Austin, you can get a nice double wide like that one for $90k.

Yeah, they used to be cheap. Right now the market is highly irrational. Some of those premanufactured homes are pretty decent. I looked at one back when I was buying properties to rent. The entire small neighborhood was comprised of them. It was like a regular subdivision, but smaller and less expensive. Not a dump like a trailer park. I think the one I looked at was $45k or thereabouts. It was a plantation for FOP's, so I didn't buy it.

That one mobile home would be a stretch at $7.5k in a normal market.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Yeah, they used to be cheap. Right now the market is highly irrational. Some of those premanufactured homes are pretty decent. I looked at one back when I was buying properties to rent. The entire small neighborhood was comprised of them. It was like a regular subdivision, but smaller and less expensive. Not a dump like a trailer park. I think the one I looked at was $45k or thereabouts. It was a plantation for FOP's, so I didn't buy it.

That one mobile home would be a stretch at $7.5k in a normal market.
what, like it was a cul de sac of manufactured homes?

i could see that, a company just buys up that developing division and dumps some quick manufactured homes on it, they probably move fast.

i mean when i was checking out properties, a newly developed area was still being built and the house was on the market for over a year.

i wanted it cuz it was new

Fucker

Log Wizard
what, like it was a cul de sac of manufactured homes?

i could see that, a company just buys up that developing division and dumps some quick manufactured homes on it, they probably move fast.

i mean when i was checking out properties, a newly developed area was still being built and the house was on the market for over a year.

i wanted it cuz it was new

It was homes placed around an oval street. It was a stand alone development and pretty ok looking and quiet. I passed on it because throwing some granny out on her ass because she couldn't make rent would have been terrible optics.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
It was homes placed around an oval street. It was a stand alone development and pretty ok looking and quiet. I passed on it because throwing some granny out on her ass because she couldn't make rent would have been terrible optics.
what does an oval look like plz?

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals VP
<Gold Donor>
What the fuck on the asbestos. Sue your dbag landlord, take the money and buy lanx's trailer he's trying to sell you. Looks like he did a good job renovating it.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Can you leave the city? Go move to a small town, work remote and live like a king for ~$1.5k or less per month or something. I pay $850 a month for a 3 bedroom house in a major city in a flyover state. There is just no reason for you to be paying so much to live if your situation is so shitty. It doesn't really help for qualifying, but if you're gunna drop a dime on the landlord then you should live somewhere more affordable.

Your income is more than high enough to not be living in some asbestos ridden shithole.
S Secrets You're in Philly right? I reiterate the above.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
S Secrets You're in Philly right? I reiterate the above.

Got approved for a new manufactured home loan, $75k and a $15k down payment for a 3bd 2ba. My credit wasn't as terrible as I thought. Looks like we're gonna start the process in December and we're working out the lot rent / delivery costs in the meantime. Interest is about that of a car, but it's 'technically' a mortgage. Given my income, it was fairly easy to get approved, and I'll have it paid off by the end of the year with everyone's combined income.

I have a 624 score and nothing besides the bankruptcy on my report when I applied. Just for future reference.

Thanks everyone for the advice. It's been super helpful. Ended up cleaing up my Experian record which had missed payments mistakenly reported on there, and all the apartments I applied to used Experian, so that lines up with what I was seeing with rejections.

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Got approved for a new manufactured home loan, $75k and a $15k down payment for a 3bd 2ba. My credit wasn't as terrible as I thought. Looks like we're gonna start the process in December and we're working out the lot rent / delivery costs in the meantime. Interest is about that of a car, but it's 'technically' a mortgage. Given my income, it was fairly easy to get approved, and I'll have it paid off by the end of the year with everyone's combined income.

I have a 624 score and nothing besides the bankruptcy on my report when I applied. Just for future reference.

Thanks everyone for the advice. It's been super helpful. Ended up cleaing up my Experian record which had missed payments mistakenly reported on there, and all the apartments I applied to used Experian, so that lines up with what I was seeing with rejections.
624 is great w/ a bankruptcy

you should at least be in creditkarma, it's free, you can easily see experian/transunion and submit to fix shit.

• 1Solidarity

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>

Congrats, glad it worked out for you.

• 1Solidarity

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
624 is great w/ a bankruptcy

you should at least be in creditkarma, it's free, you can easily see experian/transunion and submit to fix shit.
Credit Karma only shows Equifax and Transunion. Both were fine, so I was confused - Experian was the one a lot of landlords got my report from, and of course there was information that was factually incorrect on there. I submitted a request and within days it was fixed.

Transunion and Equifax showed me at 624 and 641 respectively. Experian, prior to corrections, showed me at 550 because of missed payments. It's fixed as late October.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Credit Karma only shows Equifax and Transunion. Both were fine, so I was confused - Experian was the one a lot of landlords got my report from, and of course there was information that was factually incorrect on there. I submitted a request and within days it was fixed.

Transunion and Equifax showed me at 624 and 641 respectively. Experian, prior to corrections, showed me at 550 because of missed payments. It's fixed as late October.
have fun house hunting, zillow will show you manufactured
52de97c9a0ece32e5a0de495bb4b7881.png

other sites like realtor will show you "mobile" i don't know if that counts, but play around, use zillow as your main search imo

• 1Like

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
have fun house hunting, zillow will show you manufactured

other sites like realtor will show you "mobile" i don't know if that counts, but play around, use zillow as your main search imo

Already got unit in mind. We're working out the details with the lot and such. It's moving along smoothly.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Already got unit in mind. We're working out the details with the lot and such. It's moving along smoothly.
thats great, you can join the home thread for more helpful ppl

and just a month ago you said owning a home was insanity

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
My upstairs neighbors let their tub overflow 2 days ago and I had several gallons of water leak into my apartment (i live below them). Theres probably way more inside the walls and ceiling, but several gallons is what I mopped up off the floor. Its in my master bedroom and my walkin closet. Master bedroom completely reeks of mildew. I have water stains on my ceiling that are several feet long and wide.

Landlord is being a piece of shit and says we just need to let it "dry out" (he sent in the handyman yesterday) and then repair it. Never bothered to come by and apologize, or ask if we needed anything. I spent hours mopping and moving shit out of walk-in closet to mop and dry. I'm no expert, but how exactly will dozens of gallons of water in a sealed space like wall or ceiling are going to dry out without creating a ton of mold first? Where is the moisture going to escape to without a large opening in the wall for it to air out?

I'm pissed because half of my apartment is basically unlivable and I have a 4 month old whom I dont want breathing in mold. Last night we all slept in the guest bedroom which was a pain in the ass.

I told him to get his shit together and that I'm not paying rent until he fixes it (and even then I'm thinking of prorating the rent and not pay for the days there was damage) he in turn threatened me with an eviction and told me to get out.

Am I completely off-base here or is my landlord completely off-base?

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My upstairs neighbors let their tub overflow 2 days ago and I had several gallons of water leak into my apartment (i live below them). Theres probably way more inside the walls and ceiling, but several gallons is what I mopped up off the floor. Its in my master bedroom and my walkin closet. Master bedroom completely reeks of mildew. I have water stains on my ceiling that are several feet long and wide.

Landlord is being a piece of shit and says we just need to let it "dry out" (he sent in the handyman yesterday) and then repair it. Never bothered to come by and apologize, or ask if we needed anything. I spent hours mopping and moving shit out of walk-in closet to mop and dry. I'm no expert, but how exactly will dozens of gallons of water in a sealed space like wall or ceiling are going to dry out without creating a ton of mold first? Where is the moisture going to escape to without a large opening in the wall for it to air out?

I'm pissed because half of my apartment is basically unlivable and I have a 4 month old whom I dont want breathing in mold. Last night we all slept in the guest bedroom which was a pain in the ass.

I told him to get his shit together and that I'm not paying rent until he fixes it (and even then I'm thinking of prorating the rent and not pay for the days there was damage) he in turn threatened me with an eviction and told me to get out.

Depends on your state laws, but I would assume that in CA, you could bend your landlord over. Whether or not it's worth bothering with is another story. Any time I've rented and had a bad experience with the landlord, it's gone downhill fast from there, even if they seemed great before. And no matter what they do for repairs, you're never going to trust it. You'll always be worried about the mold. Just take the opportunity to move while he wants you gone too. If it would make you feel better, grab a lawyer and see if you can stick the landlord with the moving costs and hotel bill for not maintaining a safe environment. Even renting out a house in a very pro-landlord state, I'd have been on the hook for alternate accomodations if the house were flooded.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

What Control Control said. That is an insurance claim worthy event which means he will get rental reimbursement while it is getting fixed and you are not paying. That is, if he doesn't have shit insurance and tries to eek out a hundred extra bucks a year for bare bones insurance.

You need to check your renters insurance to see if they help out in these situations by covering the difference between what you pay now and whatever accommodations you can find while it is getting fixed.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
What Control Control said. That is an insurance claim worthy event which means he will get rental reimbursement while it is getting fixed and you are not paying. That is, if he doesn't have shit insurance and tries to eek out a hundred extra bucks a year for bare bones insurance.

You need to check your renters insurance to see if they help out in these situations by covering the difference between what you pay now and whatever accommodations you can find while it is getting fixed.

That's a good idea. I do have renters insurance from AAA.

On the subject of actual water damage, is this how water damage in walls actually gets fixed? By doing nothing?

I would assume you'd least cut a hole in the drywall and blow fans into it to air it out

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

On the subject of actual water damage, is this how water damage in walls actually gets fixed? By doing nothing?

I would assume you'd least cut a hole in the drywall and blow fans into it to air it out

Our sink flooded under our hard wood floors in the kitchen. They had to drill holes in it and blow industrial fans into them for 48 hours with dehumidifiers running alongside them. That didn't work and they had to replace them all.

Most interior walls have open space inside so I would assume it would be cut holes to gauge damage and then either dry them out with fans and patch or tear them down to the studs if it is too bad.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>

buy a dehumidifier asap, like tomorrow and suck out all the moisture in the wood

dillute bleach and water and put in spray bottle to get "surface stains" (stuff you visuably see)

use pure vinegar to get the stuff that penetrated

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I figured out what his plan is.

He has no plans to fix the brewing mold. His sole plan is to just wait for the staining to stop spreading and then paint over it, leaving the mold inside the walls

This makes sense when you look at his demand for me to leave or be evicted because under California law you DONT have to disclose mold issues to future tenants if the landlord believes that the issue has been satisfactorily addressed.

I'm getting an independent water damage guy to come out on Saturday to do his own examination. I bet it's a fucking clusterfuck inside those walls and ceiling.

• 1Like