Chapter 7 Bankruptcy & Renting Issues

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Hi,
Having an awful time finding someone to rent to me.

Just to give you all some background, I am making $85,000 a year now. I used to make $56,800 as a Jr Software Engineer (honestly, it was a Software Engineer position with Jr pay for the area, but I needed the experience. plus it's game dev, so not many pay well), but recently was laid off from my position on August 27th, 2020. I got an interview the next day and am employed again with a new and started on September 28th, 2020. My Chapter 7 was discharged in June. I filed in February, discharged in June. I had to pay $700 a month on interest alone, as I basically got debt backed up and creditors refused to give me a debt consolidation loan anywhere due to my score.

I expected to get a pay increase this year, or a bonus - but it never came. Instead, I got a layoff 3 months after the discharged.

Soon after, COVID-19 hit and my two roommates were out of a job for 2 months. They did not qualify for PUA because of the lack of sufficient hours for unemployment compensation. I got my stimulus check and made ends' meet because of my bankruptcy filing.

We've tried most of the tricks in the book (Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, Zillow with management companies excluded) and there is not only a shortage of private rentals, but a shortage of housing in general within a 50 mile radius. We want to avoid Philadelphia entirely, it's one of the worst places for us during COVID due to the roommate with asthma/lung issues, and my employer requires me to have a safe housing location. If you know Philly, it's not fucking safe.

I live in Southeastern Pennsylvania (Montgomery County) and my landlord is refusing to remove asbestos in our property.

My two roommates are disabled. The one has a history of cancer in the family, and lung/asthma issues, so being in an apartment like this is dangerous on top of the already bad threat of COVID. One half of our 2bd 2.5ba unit is unusable due to flaking in the ceiling tile in the hallway.
We're looking into a new place to rent from, however, we've been looking for well over a month and have had zero luck. We have 3 months rent saved up for the properties we've been looking at, ranging from $1200 to $1800 for a 2bd/3bd. In short, there's no reason why we SHOULDN'T qualify, especially given my gross income. However, it seems near impossible.

We have until April 2021 to find a new place; our lease is up then, and our landlord may or may not offer a renewal option (I have not got anything in writing or verbal stating that they will or not, but they are offering references to potential new landlords, however they have stopped short of renewing the lease.)

I currently have zero options here, short of new properties coming on the market - the management companies won't rent to someone with a bankruptcy in the last seven (!) years around here. And that's the only negative mark on my credit report. No missed payments or missed rental payments, no evictions, 5 year job history, 2 year rental history with a supportive landlord recommendation - and yet, I am the last on everyone's list.

I have family I can go back to, but my two roommates would be in danger of homelessness, and to be honest they are comforted by having me in their life as I provide safety and security financially. The one's mother died of cancer who has asthma and has an abusive family. The other one was disowned by their mother, and their grandmother only tolerates them, so they do not have a place to go back to. They both pull their weight financially. The one has collections on their record, and it'll impact anywhere we go. We also have 2 cats which limits our options significantly, we're expecting to put a cat deposit up front for anywhere we go and to pay to replace the carpet when I can qualify for an FHA loan.

They have nowhere to go if I am not here... and they both, for now, have safety until April. I am afraid that will end soon, hence why I am reaching out here for advice.

What should I do? Are there any government resources we can reach out to, to ensure our safety? Are there rentals anyone knows of in Montgomery County, PA that will aid us? It's a bit ridiculous, and it's day-in/day-out anxiety thinking about the fear of losing our apartment and possibly my best friends' safety. Open to advice.
Aren't you a tranny? Just threaten the landlord with a discrimination suit.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You aren't entitled to damages unless you can prove you were exposed for an extended period, nothing was done, and you have health issues as a result.

You can, however, legally withhold rent until the issue is resolved.

I feel like you didn't even read the damn link. It took me all of 5 seconds to google "Asbestos renter's rights PA". Goddamn, start taking control of your own life.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Aren't you a tranny? Just threaten the landlord with a discrimination suit.
Hard pass. I'm not in the business of threatening people with frivolous lawsuits like that. If it came down to it, I'd rather sue them for the actual issue: asbestos in the apartment.

Also, I am not transitioning right now. It's been on hold for years and to be honest, it's not worth continuing as it's not medically needed for me to do so. I am comfortable with myself regardless of gender.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
You aren't entitled to damages unless you can prove you were exposed for an extended period, nothing was done, and you have health issues as a result.

You can, however, legally withhold rent until the issue is resolved.

Withholding rent won't really do me any good. Wouldn't that go on my background in some way if the records are publicly searchable from whatever they decide to push against us for? Plus, i'd lose a potential reference with the landlord who is offering to refer me to a private renter, and cause more issues overall. I'm not in the business of fucking people over right now, to be completely honest.

I feel like you didn't even read the damn link. It took me all of 5 seconds to google "Asbestos renter's rights PA". Goddamn, start taking control of your own life.

I read it. Neither of those options put me in a better position except maybe a few extra dollars and a stain on my record, plus a potentially risky situation legally. I don't trust the courts here to do right for us. We don't have evidence in writing that our landlord doesn't know about it or not. They only told us verbally once we brought it up with them.

Typing something into Google and clicking the first result is a good way, in my experience, to get limited information on a subject you know nothing about. Google isn't perfect. Neither are the search results.

Ever try googling for something on StackOverflow, and end up spending 5 to 15 minutes finding information about what you're looking for? Most of the queries i've put into google are something like 5% actual websites, 95% SEO analytics, Salty 'in a browser'-style websites that try and install banking trojans upon clicking. When it comes down to it, there's not always a good result or guaranteed solution.

Last edited:

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Withholding rent won't really do me any good. Wouldn't that go on my background in some way if the records are publicly searchable from whatever they decide to push against us for? Plus, i'd lose a potential reference with the landlord who is offering to refer me to a private renter, and cause more issues overall. I'm not in the business of fucking people over right now, to be completely honest.

I read it. Neither of those options put me in a better position except maybe a few extra dollars and a stain on my record, plus a potentially risky situation legally. I don't trust the courts here to do right for us. We don't have evidence in writing that our landlord doesn't know about it or not. They only told us verbally once we brought it up with them.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
We aren't the definition of 'beggars can't be choosers'. We have nothing of value to really sell in our house. Hence the bankruptcy. Not going to sell my belongings that I don't have to get money for a house I can't afford. They have a word for what you're describing: "insanity".

Gotta be honest, I do know how fucked I am. Hence why I am making this post: to see what I am missing, if I am missing anything. However, idiotic advice like "go sell everything you don't have to buy a $75k USD house" are not helpful in the slightest. In fact, it's downright offensive and insulting. Not everyone has money saved up and spent their entire fucking life watching numbers go up and down on RobinHood. Some of us spent our time making elf simulators from a young age and grew the fuck up and have skillsets that should alone qualify us with flying colors for even a 2 bedroom.

If I had the means of getting that money immediately, I would, and this post wouldn't be here asking for advice.

I hope if you're ever in that situation that I am in right now that people do not nearly give you the amount of downright unhelpful advice that I am getting from you right now. I don't laugh at people having financial troubles during a pandemic.
we have many landlords on here, just ask em how the 3 of you would be ranked, especially next year when renter protections end and all the landlords gotta scramble to pack their properties,

you 3 lot as an application will be very low

how is it insanity when you 3 will now be homeowners and not hope that either of you 3 won't be rejected in the renters applications?

i mean, you sound like the gem out of the trio, you have stable employment and you can say youre dealing with the bankruptcy even with covid.

while you have 2 roomates, BOTH are disabled! are they both employed or living on assistance?

cut your losses now b4 you get dragged down further by these 2 roommates, move in with your family (so the deadweight roommates can't follow you) and say "sorry roomies, i'll catch you later on snapchat"

thrive alone or hold hands in despair

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
If it's friable asbestos then sue the fuck out of him. If its non-friable asbestos then just dont worry about it.

• 2Like

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
we have many landlords on here, just ask em how the 3 of you would be ranked, especially next year when renter protections end and all the landlords gotta scramble to pack their properties,

you 3 lot as an application will be very low

how is it insanity when you 3 will now be homeowners and not hope that either of you 3 won't be rejected in the renters applications?

i mean, you sound like the gem out of the trio, you have stable employment and you can say youre dealing with the bankruptcy even with covid.

while you have 2 roomates, BOTH are disabled! are they both employed or living on assistance?

cut your losses now b4 you get dragged down further by these 2 roommates, move in with your family (so the deadweight roommates can't follow you) and say "sorry roomies, i'll catch you later on snapchat"

thrive alone or hold hands in despair
Roommates are close friends that have been with me for many years. From what you're stating when renter protections end, I would be on the top of the list because of my stable employment, not the bottom. It's insanity when I do not have property to sell. They are both employed and getting SSI, bringing in about 1500 net income per month each, totalling about 10,000 gross.

My family is a last resort option right now. I'm prepared to ask them for assistance. Gotta be honest, it sounds like it may be easier to hire a contractor to destroy my family's old storage shed (about 700 sq ft in the backyard) and turn it into an extension for the property. Might be a good option, tbh. I appreciate the honesty, either way - trying to bounce ideas off of various sources to be better informed.

If it's friable asbestos then sue the fuck out of him. If its non-friable asbestos then just dont worry about it.

Yeah, it's friable asbestos. Our cat got sick from it, and the vet verified the cat's lung issues. It crumbles when touched.

1602292404858.png

• 1WTF

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Yeah, that's an easy one. Lawyer up and sue them into fixing it and damages from the time you have lived there. Actively loose and falling asbestos is toxic. The question is no longer whether homelessness as a worst case sucks, but whether it sucks compared to dying of cancer.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I was wondering why a person asking for opinions was getting angry at some people providing opinions, then I saw it was a tranny and all became clear. Here is another opinion, no one wants to rent to you because you are a tranny with two disabled roommates. Not sure what you can do about that, try moving to California or NYC maybe. Also don’t be an asshole.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Roommates are close friends that have been with me for many years.
yea, your roommates sound like they'll be dragging you down tho, it's not like the landlord looks at JUST YOU and think "oh he's good, this looks like a good application" no he looks at the 3 ppl signing their name on the lease and 2 are disabled.

and not for nuttin, but how "open" are you with this tranny thing? are you like running around with an adams apple and boobs?

are your roommates the same as well?

are you meeting landlords and going "oh honey, we're gonna suck some serious cock all up in here" or are you trying to keep it on the down low.

cuz youre in philly, i'm sure youse ppl have had a foit or 2, theyre not exactly as open as ny is where a landlord could land in the shit for mis gendering you. (pronouns?)

• 1Worf

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
yea, your roommates sound like they'll be dragging you down tho, it's not like the landlord looks at JUST YOU and think "oh he's good, this looks like a good application" no he looks at the 3 ppl signing their name on the lease and 2 are disabled.

and not for nuttin, but how "open" are you with this tranny thing? are you like running around with an adams apple and boobs?

are your roommates the same as well?

are you meeting landlords and going "oh honey, we're gonna suck some serious cock all up in here" or are you trying to keep it on the down low.

cuz youre in philly, i'm sure youse ppl have had a foit or 2, theyre not exactly as open as ny is where a landlord could land in the shit for mis gendering you. (pronouns?)

I was wondering why a person asking for opinions was getting angry at some people providing opinions, then I saw it was a tranny and all became clear. Here is another opinion, no one wants to rent to you because you are a tranny with two disabled roommates. Not sure what you can do about that, try moving to California or NYC maybe. Also don’t be an asshole.

Nah, I'm fine. I don't run around with boobs or anything that looks out of the ordinary. I'm pretty professional and just do manly things when needed. It's not a primary focus of my life anymore because it's like the lowest on my priority list. I don't even bother shaving clean anymore. I look like a normal 20-something dude. Some dudes here like to poke fun at that because it used to be a primary focus of my life, and then I grew the fuck up and got my shit together.

I normally show up similar to this below, but with hair properly brushed and such, facial hair properly kept (no neckbeardism) and such, etc - (I was on a walk at the park).

1602352313169.png

What about just offering the 12 months rent up front for a 1yr lease if we find a private rental? Could easily have that by Feb for something that's 2k/mo. I'd think that is much more reasonable to a potential landlord especially given the situation I am in. Short of that, manufactured house or I'll renovate my family's house.

Last edited:

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Nah, I'm fine. I don't run around with boobs or anything that looks out of the ordinary. I'm pretty professional and just do manly things when needed. It's not a primary focus of my life anymore because it's like the lowest on my priority list. I don't even bother shaving clean anymore. I look like a normal 20-something dude. Some dudes here like to poke fun at that because it used to be a primary focus of my life, and then I grew the fuck up and got my shit together.

What about just offering the 12 months rent up front for a 1yr lease if we find a private rental? Could easily have that by Feb for something that's 2k/mo. I'd think that is much more reasonable to a potential landlord especially given the situation I am in. Short of that, manufactured house or I'll renovate my family's house.
Three people being carried by one with spotty credit history just doesnt look appealing. What happens if you decide to leave and the landlord is now stuck with two people who cant pay the rent? Or if you fall off the credit wagon and cant pay? Hard to imagine anyone willing to risk such a headache. But a year worth of rent as security deposit will certainly make people more amenable to renting to you.

• 3Like

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Three people being carried by one with spotty credit history just doesnt look appealing. What happens if you decide to leave and the landlord is now stuck with two people who cant pay the rent? Or if you fall off the credit wagon and cant pay? Hard to imagine anyone willing to risk such a headache. But a year worth of rent as security deposit will certainly make people more amenable to renting to you.

We're super close, and I don't forsee myself leaving the unit anytime soon, and if I do leave my roommates are coming with me. They're pretty much family at this point in everything but legality.

Yeah, I figured a year security deposit may let people turn a blind eye to otherwise shitty credit. Gotta be honest, I know I am in a shitty spot - any sort of leases like that will be a year long, and I'll put a year plus one month up front due to the cats. I know how animals can destroy carpets, and the extra month would be for a 'pet deposit.' In the span of 6 months into the lease, If needed I'll have another year's rent plus one month saved up and can offer that 3 months before renewal, especially with my income. I've been considering my options and that seems the most reasonable if I decide to rent. It also gives the landlord a chance to find new tenants if they don't want to renew and gives them 90 days to do so, and that would allow me to additionally save for an FHA mortgage and rebuild credit in the next 1 and a half years.

I have $7,000 saved up right now, am owed $1908 from unemployment during September, and by April, I'll have approximately $29,000 saved up. Possibly more if I can legally not pay rent where I am in now, due to the habitability of the unit I am in.

Also, if I do sign something, I'm making a spreadsheet of my expenses like I would when applying for a loan at a credit union. Given what everyone is saying in this thread, I'm not at an advantage for renting, but I have rights once I do rent that would scare off landlords. This seems like the most reasonable option that benefits both myself and the landlord I am renting from in question, as well as offering peace of mind in case shit hits the fan for anyone. I'd probably be the only one listed as a lease holder if it comes down to it. That way the occupants would need to leave if I leave, and full financial burden lays on me for repairs.

Especially during COVID where many will straight up just not pay rent after a period of time because they can't be evicted legally. And when they can be evicted, there's probably going to be a shit ton more landlords open to a concept like a years security deposit.

Last edited:

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Can you leave the city? Go move to a small town, work remote and live like a king for ~$1.5k or less per month or something. I pay $850 a month for a 3 bedroom house in a major city in a flyover state. There is just no reason for you to be paying so much to live if your situation is so shitty. It doesn't really help for qualifying, but if you're gunna drop a dime on the landlord then you should live somewhere more affordable.

Your income is more than high enough to not be living in some asbestos ridden shithole.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have $7,000 saved up right now, am owed $1908 from unemployment during September, and by April, I'll have approximately $29,000 saved up. Possibly more if I can legally not pay rent where I am in now, due to the habitability of the unit I am in.
youre like 1/3 the way to getting the 75k for that manufactured home in norristown by the river i linked, i highly doubt you'll qualify for any type of loan, but 50k more and you 3 can move into a home.

theres no one you know that you can beg for 50k, and then you just outright buy the home and have your two roomates pay you rent?

Fucker

Log Wizard
And when they can be evicted, there's probably going to be a shit ton more landlords open to a concept like a years security deposit.

You can bet that is going to happen in places that will allow it. If people think renting is expensive now, just wait.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
it seems the manufactured home area is in norristown by the river

they have a few houses for under 120k, they even have a nice one for 75k

looks like it was recently remodeled and theres even a new ac/furnace put in with that price
ac08267d176524a83271afb11712e08e.jpg

youre the definition of "beggers can't be choosers" you KNOW how fucked you are with that chapter 7, you KNOW how fucked you are dragging along another dude w/ collections you KNOW how fucked you are when you say to a landlord

"but we also have 2 cats, oh don't mind james over there, he just likes to weeze every so often!!!"

the 3 of you pool all your $$$ and sell everything you got to get 75k in cash and just out right buy the home, beg and suck dick if you have to to come up with that money

I looked up the price of premanufactured and mobile homes here.

Fucking balls. Shitty old mobile home going for $150k. Little premanufactured home for $300k. Fucking Californians need to stay in California.

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
That's insane. Even in rapidly growing Austin, you can get a nice double wide like that one for $90k.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
We're super close, and I don't forsee myself leaving the unit anytime soon, and if I do leave my roommates are coming with me. They're pretty much family at this point in everything but legality.

Yeah, I figured a year security deposit may let people turn a blind eye to otherwise shitty credit. Gotta be honest, I know I am in a shitty spot - any sort of leases like that will be a year long, and I'll put a year plus one month up front due to the cats. I know how animals can destroy carpets, and the extra month would be for a 'pet deposit.' In the span of 6 months into the lease, If needed I'll have another year's rent plus one month saved up and can offer that 3 months before renewal, especially with my income. I've been considering my options and that seems the most reasonable if I decide to rent. It also gives the landlord a chance to find new tenants if they don't want to renew and gives them 90 days to do so, and that would allow me to additionally save for an FHA mortgage and rebuild credit in the next 1 and a half years.

Also, if I do sign something, I'm making a spreadsheet of my expenses like I would when applying for a loan at a credit union. Given what everyone is saying in this thread, I'm not at an advantage for renting, but I have rights once I do rent that would scare off landlords. This seems like the most reasonable option that benefits both myself and the landlord I am renting from in question, as well as offering peace of mind in case shit hits the fan for anyone. I'd probably be the only one listed as a lease holder if it comes down to it. That way the occupants would need to leave if I leave, and full financial burden lays on me for repairs.

Especially during COVID where many will straight up just not pay rent after a period of time because they can't be evicted legally. And when they can be evicted, there's probably going to be a shit ton more landlords open to a concept like a years security deposit.

Don't want to be too much of a dick here but friends who are totally dependent on you financially are barely your friends. I wouldn't even let family do that to me and I do give my family a lot. Especially my youngest sister and her kids.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users