Charities that you give money, time etc too

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Foler, I am not gonna get into a pissing contest with you. You already called my experiences garbage including time I volunteered at a children's hospital for fucks sakes. I am glad you donate money/time whatever and appreciate the fact you want to contribute. To each their own and thank you for being will to engage with charities.

Hoss, I believe is looking for a seriously hands on Human Trafficking charity that does missions basically. These are few and far between. Several that both you and I have mentioned go in with police or after police but I think he wants more hands on than that. Perhaps, I am mistaken. A lot of the groups that work closely with law enforcement basically mean they send in social workers or take the folks after the fact. Some do due diligence and hand over information to the police in the hopes they will do a raid. All of these organizations have their merits and their downfalls no doubt. The problem with larger orgs is they are beholden to all the bureaucracy that comes with their stature.

I wish I had better info for a more hands on group for you Hoss but mostly I am finding what I have already mentioned. Advocacy has its place but there should be direct action numbers for groups that will help someone at a moments notice.
I’m not sure what hands on you’re both looking for. IJM will literally have someone from the in country local police working in their office along with private investigators, attorneys, etc. I know because I’ve met with their in country staff in a few countries. I have similar NGOs in Cambodia and Vietnam but they focus more on after care.

I don’t consider the above advocacy. This isn’t some invisible children or Susan g Komen grift.

The idea the larger orgs are shitty and bloated and that “grassroots” are by their nature better is dumb hippy crap. It’s more nuanced than that. You actually have to do the analytics. Each scenario just comes with different challenges and things to look for.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
2/3 of the American Governments yerarly spending is entitlements and handouts. Thats all the charity i feel like paying into.
Honestly at this point I’m with you. The only organizations I’m interested in supporting are Alliance Defensing Freedom, The Heritage Foundation and a few others that work in the realm of religious freedom/free speech/conservative values.

Americans in general are extremely spoiled cry babies.

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
I’m not sure what hands on you’re both looking for. IJM will literally have someone from the in country local police working in their office along with private investigators, attorneys, etc. I know because I’ve met with their in country staff in a few countries. I have similar NGOs in Cambodia and Vietnam but they focus more on after care.

I don’t consider the above advocacy. This isn’t some invisible children or Susan g Komen grift.

The idea the larger orgs are shitty and bloated and that “grassroots” are by their nature better is dumb hippy crap. It’s more nuanced than that. You actually have to do the analytics. Each scenario just comes with different challenges and things to look for.
I was going based on what was on the website with IJM and am mistaken then if they are working directly with the police and not in a subsidiary role. I also know what you mean by bloated etc and a lot of the bigger organizations suffer from feature creep and too many cooks/too many dishes. I am not saying grassroots or huge orgs are better as they both have good and bad points. The orgs I mentioned I have personal experience with as well as have done my research. Even though I have hands on experience it is anecdotal and things change. Orgs big and small can start out wonderful and turn into shitshows it happens all the time. I believe in the charities I have worked with and donated to. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions however.

I will say again, thank you for engaging with charities and offering your opinions. You are not the only one who does research or due diligence however.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I was going based on what was on the website with IJM and am mistaken then if they are working directly with the police and not in a subsidiary role. I also know what you mean by bloated etc and a lot of the bigger organizations suffer from feature creep and too many cooks/too many dishes. I am not saying grassroots or huge orgs are better as they both have good and bad points. The orgs I mentioned I have personal experience with as well as have done my research. Even though I have hands on experience it is anecdotal and things change. Orgs big and small can start out wonderful and turn into shitshows it happens all the time. I believe in the charities I have worked with and donated to. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions however.

I will say again, thank you for engaging with charities and offering your opinions. You are not the only one who does research or due diligence however.
Why would you want them to work as a subsidiary for the police? You need local buy in to be effective. Ideally it should end up being enough at some point to where they can pull out of the country after having helped in country LEO build enough experience to handle it themselves. The last thing you want is a bunch of foreigners going in and doing other peoples jobs for them. I know westerns LOVE to do this but it literally only hurts the situation more.

I realize you have experience volunteering, giving and looking at guidestar or charity navigator. I’m just saying I have a lot more and have been in that world as a significant grant maker working with professionals for 10+ years.

😜

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Can confirm this for IJM. My aforementioned friend went on a few raids over his time in India but mostly did liaising/investigatory work from the office there.

I never knew brick kiln slavery was a thing until talking to him.

not going to put words into Hoss mouth but it sounded like he was looking for an org that can get tips on human trafficking and they just go there and rescue people like a vigilante group. Which sounds awesome but I doubt exists.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
Why would you want them to work as a subsidiary for the police? You need local buy in to be effective. Ideally it should end up being enough at some point to where they can pull out of the country after having helped in country LEO build enough experience to handle it themselves. The last thing you want is a bunch of foreigners going in and doing other peoples jobs for them. I know westerns LOVE to do this but it literally only hurts the situation more.

I realize you have experience volunteering, giving and looking at guidestar or charity navigator. I’m just saying I have a lot more and have been in that world as a significant grant maker working with professionals for 10+ years.

😜
I wouldn't want them to be a subsidiary as most unfortunately are. I was saying its good that IJM isn't in a subsidiary role as it might be what Hoss is looking for.

Jesus you are so condescending and so dedicated to derailing the topic to talk about yourself its ridiculous. You have no clue who most of the people you are talking too are. I can guess what you think I do for a living and how I live but you have no idea. I have no reason to tout like you do though. You constantly denigrating my experience thinking I looked up shit on charity navigator or the like is so antithetical to what this thread is meant to be, its absurd.

All I wanted to know from making this thread is who people donate their time and money too as I might want to donate to more in the future. Nothing more.

• 1EyeRoll

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
not going to put words into Hoss mouth but it sounded like he was looking for an org that can get tips on human trafficking and they just go there and rescue people like a vigilante group. Which sounds awesome but I doubt exists.

That would be one thing. I'm pretty sure it does exist but as someone said earlier they probably burn out quickly. But they don't have to be that extreme. What I want to avoid is groups that throw parties to raise awareness and the money raised goes towards the next party and maybe some gets used to buy a pretty dress for a girl someone else rescued so she can attend. A group that finds slaves, then hands the info to police is perfectly fine. Hopefully they at least keep nagging the cops till they act on the information.

Anyway, I didn't intend to turn this into human trafficking thread 2.0. Thanks all for the suggestions. I will look into them.

Another one I have volunteered for is Camp Hope. PTSD Foundation of America. They take in vets with PTSD and turn their lives around.

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Not sure if it applies here, but every now and then I consider helping out Meals on Wheels. Anyone had any experience with them and what the process is? Is it something I can hop in and help out with a day or two a month or as my schedule allows or are there strict schedules? Can you choose which areas you deliver to (there are absolutely certain parts of the city I am not willing to go driving in)? Is it an actual worthwhile cause for people in need of it or just handouts for the lazy?

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I give away my clothes, furniture, etc. beyond that my taxes go to poor people. Fuck anything else beyond first person helping someone out. I don’t trust any charity really. I’m sure there’s plenty with good intentions but there’s enough garbage ones out there I don’t put energy into trying to figure out which ones are good.

• 1Cringe

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Not sure if it applies here, but every now and then I consider helping out Meals on Wheels. Anyone had any experience with them and what the process is? Is it something I can hop in and help out with a day or two a month or as my schedule allows or are there strict schedules? Can you choose which areas you deliver to (there are absolutely certain parts of the city I am not willing to go driving in)? Is it an actual worthwhile cause for people in need of it or just handouts for the lazy?
delivery is just the end leg of it, i'm sure you can sign up and ask to do specific jobs like warehouse/inventory/etc

when i was in jersey and wanted to volunteer i did a shift at the foodbank/warehouse and at the end said fuck this, i'm too smart for this lemme handle ya'lls social media or whatever. (and i did)

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
That would be one thing. I'm pretty sure it does exist but as someone said earlier they probably burn out quickly. But they don't have to be that extreme. What I want to avoid is groups that throw parties to raise awareness and the money raised goes towards the next party and maybe some gets used to buy a pretty dress for a girl someone else rescued so she can attend. A group that finds slaves, then hands the info to police is perfectly fine. Hopefully they at least keep nagging the cops till they act on the information.

Anyway, I didn't intend to turn this into human trafficking thread 2.0. Thanks all for the suggestions. I will look into them.

Another one I have volunteered for is Camp Hope. PTSD Foundation of America. They take in vets with PTSD and turn their lives around.
Like I said IJM sounds like a good fit if you’re ok with international trafficking. I can see if I have their financial reports on hand next week to tell you how much money to spend per dollar on fundraising since that seems to be your primary concern.

• 1Like

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
It depends on the area and the people running it. I would say no harm in asking and if they want you to do something or go somewhere you don't want to, you can just move on. I only have a little experience with meals on wheels and I was asked where I wanted to deliver to. They were under populated in the area I was doing it in. In a city I am sure new folks will probably be given the "new guy" treatment but most folks don't advocate for themselves either. Give it a shot and see if they will accommodate you.

Lurkus Maximus

Trakanon Raider
I deliver for them two days a week. It's absolutely a worthwhile endeavor. You really get to know the people on your route and the majority of them are incredibly grateful. Multiple people on my route have told me repeatedly that it's the only thing keeping them from being put in a nursing home. Not too long ago I even had an "I've fallen and I can't get up" situation where the poor guy had been lying on the ground since the previous night. Called 911 and got him help. I'm sure that happens fairly frequently and if not for us checking on them daily it would be much worse. You can do as many or as few days as you want, takes about two hours a day from 10am to noon. One day of orientation and a quick background check and you're up and running. As far as picking your location you absolutely can choose which site you want to deliver from. My county has around 10 sites alone so it's easy to find one where you want. This info is all from Florida by the way so it may be slightly different elsewhere since obviously we have a much higher elderly population here in God's waiting room.

Sorry, rambled on longer than expected there, but it really is by far the most meaningful, impactful volunteering I've ever done.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users