Chat GPT AI

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It does feel like we are driving into a blind corner at full speed.
This is how most reasonable people have felt about climate change for years.

We were never able to control the worst consequences of capitalism, so why would we think we could control the worst consequences of AI? AI is just the ultimate extension of that same system. Sensible regulation of AI will not happen because the free market demands that the machine grinds forward.

It's obvious to me that the machine has been in control for longer than any of us realize; humanity is the walking dead. Only now that we can talk to the machine do we recognize it as a threat, because that's how our human minds work.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Jeffrey Wright Shut Up GIF by HBO

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

Looks like Elon signed that letter to pause AI development just to slow it down so he can play catch up.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Looks like Elon signed that letter to pause AI development just to slow it down so he can play catch up.
This was pretty obvious, the whole "6-month pause" idea is a joke. In six months is humanity going to fundamentally solve the 'Moloch' problem that these people keep talking about? It would take six decades to get these people to admit that their 'Moloch' is just another word for capitalism.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Hungry Komodo Dragon GIF by San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance

(No basilisk gif - need to work on that)

Mist Mist , are you anti-AI?
The long answers is that I don't think that humans have ever been in control of their own destiny, that free will is an illusion, and that only bear witness to the universe rather than shape it. In this case it may mean that we will bear witness to our end, or our irrelevance. Artificial intelligence may simply just be inevitable.

• 1Like
  • 1Jonesing
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I purchased a GPT4 subscription in the hopes that I will get to see it harvest the carbon from my enemies before it gets to me.

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
I purchased a GPT4 subscription in the hopes that I will get to see it harvest the carbon from my enemies before it gets to me.
Screenshot 2023-04-16 at 22-08-46 Here's How Much the Elements in Your Body Are Worth.png

Your body is worthless for harvesting outside of parts for more useful humans. Your cheap mineral and energy requirements, ability to learn and perform simple tasks, and scalable reproduction are your only reasons for existing.

best friends vegan GIF by Mercy For Animals

Last edited:

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The long answers is that I don't think that humans have ever been in control of their own destiny, that free will is an illusion, and that only bear witness to the universe rather than shape it. In this case it may mean that we will bear witness to our end, or our irrelevance. Artificial intelligence may simply just be inevitable.

The inevitability is part of the problem. It's coming, doesn't matter if it's this later this week or later this century, only thing that matters is what it will be like when it gets here. Capitalist AI might suck but it'll pale in the hellscape created by one created to enforce a cult-of-personality dictatorship or one that is trained to enforce radical religious ideology. It's the ultimate culture war.

Oldbased

> Than U
Element wise the human body is a buck but calorie wise it is 60,000 cals on average and a good source of fuel.
So just sell yourselves to the meat houses or power plants!

• 1Like

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
My fear has always been more about the loner nihilist attempting as much chaos as possible through AI vs some kind of terminator scenario.

or who is even more dreadful to imagine with destructive AI? Our government, yikes !

My first example more specifically would be a Mr Robot type kid that programmed the AI to run some kind of steady power grid attack while fending off counters. Obviously my imagination isn’t great, but I worry more about that kind of fuckery than the nukes flying

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Capitalist AI might suck but it'll pale in the hellscape created by one created to enforce a cult-of-personality dictatorship or one that is trained to enforce radical religious ideology. It's the ultimate culture war.
You're missing the point of what I'm saying.

Relentless optimizing for X, regardless of what X is, is incompatible with humans having a good life. AI is just the ultimate manifestation of the machine's desire to optimize away humanity.