Chat GPT AI

Raes

Vyemm Raider
This is what Llama 2 does when it just doesn't know the answer. It stalls by making up scolding shit.

I'm also curious if you were just trying to make a joke, or if you actually believe that it says shit like that to give it more time to come up with the right answer?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
1690299017301.png

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I've still yet to find a good use case for AI and coding. I'm rarely ever prototyping in a vacuum, which is what I see most use cases are. Almost all my work involves bug fixing, refactoring, or just the context of existing code is requisite.

Last edited:
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I've still yet to find a good use case for AI and coding. I'm rarely every prototyping in a vacuum, which is what I see most use cases are. Almost all my work involves bug fixing, refactoring, or just the context of existing code is requisite.
I've used the living shit out of it for coding....because I barely know how to code shit. It's been very useful to me, but I'm not employed as a coder so anything I'm able to accomplish is basically a bonus.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I've still yet to find a good use case for AI and coding. I'm rarely ever prototyping in a vacuum, which is what I see most use cases are. Almost all my work involves bug fixing, refactoring, or just the context of existing code is requisite.

I use it all the time. I'm not a coder per se but do a lot of modeling in R/python and ChatGPT is a godsend in saving time banging my head on stupid syntax issues or remembering what library/function to use for one task or another.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Let's flip it around. Is there a grey area where you started second guessing the amount of time you had to put into prompting the AI? Or the amount of time sanity checking and trusting the results it gave you?

I guess I can see it being useful for syntax errors. Though, I'd prefer my IDE to catch those instead.

Library/function is a curious one. We have a lot of in-house code(we have our own version of Python3...). If I was using a lot more off the shelf stuff, I could see AI being useful there.

Captain Suave

What do you do for work?
I'm a partner in a two-man business consultancy, mostly in the pulp and paper industry, based on simulation and optimization tools I build. A bit of low end data science and machine learning on the side.

Also, my wife runs a data science department and I try to stay current and occasionally help with her proverbial homework.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Is there a grey area where you started second guessing the amount of time you had to put into prompting the AI? Or the amount of time sanity checking and trusting the results it gave you?

It is 100% less time than sanity checking my own code. It's a big accelerant just to give me a rough template that generates the ballpark of the correct output I'm looking for.

If that means I'm a bad coder, I'll own that. My last formal training was Java 20 years ago in college and everything since is self taught for boutique projects.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
To give you an example: I was recently placed on a team to work on a cellular router. The router is running a variant of OpenWRT (Linux) operating system and a pile of custom Lua scripts. I knew very little when it comes to bash scripts and the Lua language. ChatGPT got me up to speed very quickly. I just expressed what I wanted to do and, bam, it would write example code in either language and I would take it from there.

Additionally, there was some ugly ass string concatenation going on in some of our Lua scripts. So, I asked ChatGPT to create a StringBuilder implementation in Lua. I knew nothing about how to create classes in Lua, or how the language uses tables as its basic data structure. It spit out code that worked right off the bat. Granted, it was nothing super complex, but what it wrote in a matter of seconds would've taken me hours to research and work out on my own.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
To give you an example: I was recently placed on a team to work on a cellular router. The router is running a variant of OpenWRT (Linux) operating system and a pile of custom Lua scripts. I knew very little when it comes to bash scripts and the Lua language. ChatGPT got me up to speed very quickly. I just expressed what I wanted to do and, bam, it would write example code in either language and I would take it from there.

Additionally, there was some ugly ass string concatenation going on in some of our Lua scripts. So, I asked ChatGPT to create a StringBuilder implementation in Lua. I knew nothing about how to create classes in Lua, or how the language uses tables as its basic data structure. It spit out code that worked right off the bat. Granted, it was nothing super complex, but what it wrote in a matter of seconds would've taken me hours to research and work out on my own.
I wish I had better access to MS autopilot betas but I'm not a dev. Chat GPT is ok if it's simple or you know the language but it gets sketchy quick.

I just saw an example where it imported numpy and then didn't actually use anything from the library.

It also does really really bad at design decisions in stuff like components or state management in react.

To put it another way it's ok at "programming" but terrible at dev right now.