Chat GPT AI

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I wonder how you'd formulate questions like "find X"

find-x-here-it-is-calm-down-calm-down-meme.jpg

but seriously, a question like

image.png

If you were asked to find the equation for this line using X process or whatever (beyond just the x/y intercepts), I wonder how you'd feed that into ChatGPT and how that'd differ from something like Mathematica.

In school learning math from elementary to college calculus everything followed a simple pattern, you get taught a concept, do 10ish homework question permutations on it and then the test has a couple permutations on the same concept. Most of the time the pattern was fine, but sometimes I'd run into concepts that were just tricky to get, and the more concepts you added the more the difficulty stacked up. This is especially true for most students who don't give a fuck about calculus and never planned to use it after, so it was just memorizing bullshit.

I remember running out of homework questions on concepts I understood or ran into gaps where they'd combine concepts and I'd be lost in a chasm of my own confusion. A chatgpt assistant that you could feed a troublesome problem to (or generate similar problems for) that could then break down the concepts in different ways (like a private tutor) could've been immensely valuable.

Secret technique I learned: if you ever have a ton of trouble understanding something, find the dumbest person you know that understands it and have them explain it to you.
These things can't do symbolic manipulations so anything even a bit abstract isn't happening.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
but seriously, a question like

image.png

If you were asked to find the equation for this line using X process or whatever (beyond just the x/y intercepts), I wonder how you'd feed that into ChatGPT and how that'd differ from something like Mathematica.

In school learning math from elementary to college calculus everything followed a simple pattern, you get taught a concept, do 10ish homework question permutations on it and then the test has a couple permutations on the same concept. Most of the time the pattern was fine, but sometimes I'd run into concepts that were just tricky to get, and the more concepts you added the more the difficulty stacked up. This is especially true for most students who don't give a fuck about calculus and never planned to use it after, so it was just memorizing bullshit.

I remember running out of homework questions on concepts I understood or ran into gaps where they'd combine concepts and I'd be lost in a chasm of my own confusion. A chatgpt assistant that you could feed a troublesome problem to (or generate similar problems for) that could then break down the concepts in different ways (like a private tutor) could've been immensely valuable.

Secret technique I learned: if you ever have a ton of trouble understanding something, find the dumbest person you know that understands it and have them explain it to you.
Hmm...you can't give Chat GPT an image, but you could describe the graph to it. Although I'm not sure how I could put into words your example.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Just plug in the PhotoMath app to it and it’ll be no problem.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Hmm...you can't give Chat GPT an image, but you could describe the graph to it. Although I'm not sure how I could put into words your example.
Yeah it'd have to be a combination of a chat GPT bot + something like photomath (which I had never seen before Hateyou mentioned it and is pretty cool)

• 3Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 3 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My most hated subject, and now kids have actual AI tutors and apps that analyze problems and give step by step solutions. A kid thats actually trying to learn will have leagues better education than me. Where I sat in the fucking tutoring office for hours at VCU banging my neanderthal brain against a book of math problems.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah it'd have to be a combination of a chat GPT bot + something like photomath (which I had never seen before Hateyou mentioned it and is pretty cool)

What’s wild to me is it’s been out for almost a decade and no one I’ve brought it up to has ever heard of it. When it came out it blew my mind and I thought it was going to be something everyone had or they’d integrate it into phones directly.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
My most hated subject, and now kids have actual AI tutors and apps that analyze problems and give step by step solutions. A kid thats actually trying to learn will have leagues better education than me. Where I sat in the fucking tutoring office for hours at VCU banging my neanderthal brain against a book of math problems.
I spent so many hours in an abandoned corner of a Univ Michigan library trying to ram mathematic garbage into my head for my comp sci degree just to get an B or A and move onto useful stuff. I use calculus every week or so at my job and I feel like the three semesters of calculus I took did fuck all to help me because I've forgotten it and can just relearn it in an applied setting as easily as learning everything else.

It's like, "GOOD THING I LEARNED HOW TO FIND THE DERIVATIVE OF A ROOK-KING SWAP 4D CHESS IN CALC 3 SO I CAN MAINTAIN THIS SUPER BASIC f=ma JACOBIAN IN C++ TWENTY YEARS LATER"

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I spent so many hours in an abandoned corner of a Univ Michigan library trying to ram mathematic garbage into my head for my comp sci degree. I use calculus every week or so at my job and I feel like the three semesters of calculus I took did fuck all to help me because I've forgotten it and can just relearn it in an applied setting as easily as learning everything else.
I would argue that your college experience with calculus is why its easy for you to relearn it today. You developed a certain mathematical maturity that makes reading and grasping mathematical concepts easier.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I would argue that your college experience with calculus is why its easy for you to relearn it today. You developed a certain mathematical maturity that makes reading and grasping mathematical concepts easier.
Fuck you and your argument. I'll never get that time back.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Also to this day I think I'm worse at understanding chemistry and biology concepts because than other applied sciences because I hated those waste of time classes in college. Everything I learn in astrophysics / astronomy is a fresh ground of tilled soil ready to explore, while anything close to what I learned in biology is a fucking bramble patch.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Having taken a lot of bio classes I can say that college biology classes are useless turds. Outside the few seminar clasess I took (and lab classes), college bio stuff is nothing but rote memorization and is absolutely worthless. Cant say the same for chem or physics though. Those were spicy fire.

Discrete math and linear algebra, maybe. But the genpop calc classes? waste. of. time.
I would say discrete math is crap if its from the CS department. Best math class in CS is theoretical CS. Calc classes are good if the CS degree includes probability and stats classes (which it should).

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I had a really fucked up math education in high school because I transferred to a private school for junior high then back to public high school. The private school was on a very different math curriculum than the public school, integrated math vs the standard Algebra 1, 2, Geometry, Trigonometry, Algebra 3, Calculus progression. My standardized test scores were through the roof when I transfered back to public school so they decided to just skip me straight past Algebra, so skipping 2 years of math basically. Turns out skipping Algebra 2 is just really bad and fucks you up forever, so I was always playing catchup and in the tutoring office in college. I never really caught up until online lessons became available, where now that would be so easy.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Having taken a lot of bio classes I can say that college biology classes are useless turds. Outside the few seminar clasess I took (and lab classes), college bio stuff is nothing but rote memorization and is absolutely worthless. Cant say the same for chem or physics though. Those were spicy fire.

I would say discrete math is crap if its from the CS department. Best math class in CS is theoretical CS. Calc classes are good if the CS degree includes probability and stats classes (which it should).
My bio teacher loved maple trees. So much that several weeks were dedicated to them and especially their reproductive cycle with paintstaking detail and harsh grading. Once a year I go to the grove of trees she does most of her research in and I cut down a maple tree or two.

• 1Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This is the thing that people are worried will steal their jobs:

1675118888848.png

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
That's what I find odd. Is it will always give you an answer even if it's completely wrong. It never states, "I don't know".

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
That's what I find odd. Is it will always give you an answer even if it's completely wrong. I never states, "I don't know".
It's a text generation machine, not a truth machine. It doesn't actually understand anything in a philosophical sense. You ask it to produce words on a topic and that's what it does.

• 1Like