Cheap Meals: Eating on a budget.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You should get over your fear of new things and try some Asian dumplings. They're usually cheap too so perfect theme for this thread!
There is no fear just never think about them and again, I don't eat at restaurants (usually). Are there a particular recipe names I should look at or just "Asian dumplings" recipe?

Sludig

Easiest is just go to an actual Asian grocery and get drowned in 50 options but ready to go great and eat so you at least get the idea. Many are all intended to be in broth/ soup.

But like even potstickers that are in every regular grocery store is still basically one type of Asian dumpling.

For me, rather than like a shumei(?) or other soft wet dumpling. My favorite is m lie the buns. Big fluffy mother fuckers with sweet bbq pork. Or at many Chinese restaurants the sesame balls with sweet black bean paste.

And this is kinda a derail but sweet mung bean or tarrow cakes are tasty. seen them under several names but is a high fat flaky thin soft crust kinda cake. Often with a hard boiled egg in them

Unlike most on this forum, hate anime, not keen on much of Asian culture. but good damn I love the food both Americanized and authentic

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
if you guys get frozen dumplings/jiaozi/gyoza/manduu

theres only one way to cook em, and thats to pan fry/steam

this is a good guide

of course this is the cheap meals thread making your own dumplings is easily 1/10 the cost

• 1Solidarity

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
if you guys get frozen dumplings/jiaozi/gyoza/manduu

theres only one way to cook em, and thats to pan fry/steam

this is a good guide

of course this is the cheap meals thread making your own dumplings is easily 1/10 the cost
You don't have a steam basket? Do you have any kitchet gadgets at all? I steam them and then fry.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
with "pot stickers", you fry those on the pan and they come out fucking awesome. make some ramen and let loose with the soy sauce and mustard. shit be good.

• 1Solidarity

Daidraco

The most interesting thing about this thread is that its, mostly, just a small restaurant in the middle of Appalachia's menu. 90% of the stuff mentioned, you can walk into a mom and pop restaurant in or around the Cumberland Gap area and eat it.

Another thing is, Ive rarely found recipes on the internet that I thought were delicious. At least not for the stuff I was looking for. That Chicken and Dumpling recipe for example, looks way too overcomplicated for what, "southern" Chicken and Dumplings should be. I'd have to ask my Mother or Grandmother what the recipe is exactly, but the normal recipe around here definitely doesnt have fucking Carrots in it, and it sure as fuck doesnt mention "Low Sodium" and "Healthy" doesnt even come across your mind.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
There is no fear just never think about them and again, I don't eat at restaurants (usually). Are there a particular recipe names I should look at or just "Asian dumplings" recipe?
i wouldn't bother making them, i would buy a frozen bag of dumplings/ (it might be easier to search for potstickers) and follow the video on how to cook em that i just posted.

these are the results for my kroger
f0c9842f5326bb0680c921041eda41a6.jpg

if you have the option to buy the mandu (this is korean dumplings) from that brand bibigo, i would do that first.

i've searched and trader joes/wf have thier own brands of potstickers as well, imo just buy a frozen bag and follow that video i posted

you don't have to make the sauce, i generally don't even use any sauce

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My mom used to make chicken and dumplings with the older chickens that were too tough to fry. I think she just stewed the whole chicken and then made biscuit dough and dropped it in. I don't know if she thickened the broth or if the dumplings did it naturally. It was good though. Haven't had it in years.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Burns

i wouldn't bother making them, i would buy a frozen bag of dumplings/ (it might be easier to search for potstickers) and follow the video on how to cook em that i just posted.

these are the results for my kroger
f0c9842f5326bb0680c921041eda41a6.jpg

if you have the option to buy the mandu (this is korean dumplings) from that brand bibigo, i would do that first.

i've searched and trader joes/wf have thier own brands of potstickers as well, imo just buy a frozen bag and follow that video i posted

you don't have to make the sauce, i generally don't even use any sauce
Thanks for the recommendations. I have the option of HEB (best store in Texas) and Wal-Mart (trashiest store in the country). It's kinda funny, and a sign we don't have many Asians living out in this part of Texas (?), as HEB has 18 items when searching for "dumplings", half of which are not dumplings at all, then half of those, aren't Asian dumplings...

They do have the Bibigo brand, but not the Mandu style. The directions on those two boxes say to microwave them, which makes them sound like hot pockets (which are junk food). Maybe I'll just wait for when someone needs dropped off/picked up at the airport and actually go to a proper Asian market in Ft. Worth or Arlington.

2024-03-24 09.27.57 www.heb.com a7a5f3c8237d.png

Unfortunately, this derail doesn't seem that cheap, as those dumplings look kinda "expensive" (when compared with the rest of the thread) for the amount of food you get?

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
My mom used to make chicken and dumplings with the older chickens that were too tough to fry. I think she just stewed the whole chicken and then made biscuit dough and dropped it in. I don't know if she thickened the broth or if the dumplings did it naturally. It was good though. Haven't had it in years.
Thats how my mom did it. Cooked up a big pot of dumplings wth bisquick. Cooked up the chicken and made gravy from the juices, than threw it in the pot with the dumplings.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Thanks for the recommendations. I have the option of HEB (best store in Texas) and Wal-Mart (trashiest store in the country). It's kinda funny, and a sign we don't have many Asians living out in this part of Texas (?), as HEB has 18 items when searching for "dumplings", half of which are not dumplings at all, then half of those, aren't Asian dumplings...

They do have the Bibigo brand, but not the Mandu style. The directions on those two boxes say to microwave them, which makes them sound like hot pockets (which are junk food). Maybe I'll just wait for when someone needs dropped off/picked up at the airport and actually go to a proper Asian market in Ft. Worth or Arlington.

View attachment 521249

Unfortunately, this derail doesn't seem that cheap, as those dumplings look kinda "expensive" (when compared with the rest of the thread) for the amount of food you get?
yea frozen dumplings arent cheap at all, but if you wanted to "try it"

the 4$ steamed dumpling package is pretty good and easy af to make, just take it out the freezer, cut a corner off the package and nuke for 2minutes sit for 1
(don't get the bites, they ain't good)

i make either that or a 8manduu when my wifes guitar teacher comes over

1 time i asked him, you want dumplings or you want me to be white and give you carrots celery n shit?

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Bibigo is a high quality brand. Great dumplings and pot stickers.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
We bread and pan fry all of our chops, bonus for the ones that are bone in. Its the only way to eat them IMO. Any other way I ever tried was dry ass shoe leather. My favorite dish that moms always used to make is pan fried breaded chops, cooked cabbage with sauage and roux and mashed potato. She still makes it for me on my B-day.
We did Shake and bake. I still love that shit.

• 1Solidarity

Khane

Got something right about marriage

Yea I guess that really is just true about everything at a grocery store today. They used to be cheap, especially if you had a restaurant nearby that served them.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
with "pot stickers", you fry those on the pan and they come out fucking awesome. make some ramen and let loose with the soy sauce and mustard. shit be good.
In relation to cheap eats, I had made teriyaki chicken out of thighs last week, and fried rice, and tried to figure out what to do with the leftover vegetables and what have you. I made potstickers to go along with it as kind of an appetizer, just the frozen ones from trader Joe's and they're actually really good.

The wife came home from the store with some packets of instant ramen, nothing special.

Decided to make a dashi, and I use that very loosely, I'm sure our resident Oriental would have a heart attack, but it was chilly out and she said hey I'd like a soup or something. Used some mushroom powder umami seasoning blend, too.

Made a broth with a little bit of better than bullion, soy, togarashi, nori, sesame oil, garlic and ginger. Had some celery and shallot that I needed to use up, so into the pot. Had a couple of zucchini floating around, and a half a head of cabbage, a crown if broccoli, and maybe a half a pound of mushrooms. Dumped a couple of the packs of the ramen seasoning into the broth. And then shaved some fresh cabbage just to get one on top so it was super crunchy. Put the ramen in, and then took the leftover potstickers and through those in with the diced up teriyaki chicken. Little fresh green onion, and serve.

We ate on it from Sunday of last week to Thursday, just getting a little bit more cheap ramen for the noodles, and adding one or two other zucchini, etc. I'm not a big soup person but it was utterly delicious and if you're really kind of break it down, as long as you've got the Staples like soy, togarashi, ginger or whatever, you can make a huge pot and it's dirt cheap. Don't even have to necessarily have a protein but cheap chicken thighs work perfect. I never made it before but it's definitely going into the rotation, especially if I want to just clear out vegetables or proteins that we have from previous meals, that way nothing gets wasted.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

View attachment 521249

Man if you got a trader Joe's close by go hit that instead of HEB. They're much cheaper and they're really good. We don't buy a lot of Frozen stuff but there's spring rolls and their potstickers or goyosa, or whatever the hell you want to call him are very tasty, and affordable. I've checked at HEB in the past because I didn't feel like going over there and they just don't have anything I'm willing to pay for.

I guess the other option is going to the Asian market but when I looked there I kind of get overwhelmed and don't know which brands to pick up, but thankfully Lanx Lanx just giving some recommendations.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
In relation to cheap eats, I had made teriyaki chicken out of thighs last week, and fried rice, and tried to figure out what to do with the leftover vegetables and what have you. I made potstickers to go along with it as kind of an appetizer, just the frozen ones from trader Joe's and they're actually really good.

The wife came home from the store with some packets of instant ramen, nothing special.

Decided to make a dashi, and I use that very loosely, I'm sure our resident Oriental would have a heart attack, but it was chilly out and she said hey I'd like a soup or something. Used some mushroom powder umami seasoning blend, too.

Made a broth with a little bit of better than bullion, soy, togarashi, nori, sesame oil, garlic and ginger. Had some celery and shallot that I needed to use up, so into the pot. Had a couple of zucchini floating around, and a half a head of cabbage, a crown if broccoli, and maybe a half a pound of mushrooms. Dumped a couple of the packs of the ramen seasoning into the broth. And then shaved some fresh cabbage just to get one on top so it was super crunchy. Put the ramen in, and then took the leftover potstickers and through those in with the diced up teriyaki chicken. Little fresh green onion, and serve.

We ate on it from Sunday of last week to Thursday, just getting a little bit more cheap ramen for the noodles, and adding one or two other zucchini, etc. I'm not a big soup person but it was utterly delicious and if you're really kind of break it down, as long as you've got the Staples like soy, togarashi, ginger or whatever, you can make a huge pot and it's dirt cheap. Don't even have to necessarily have a protein but cheap chicken thighs work perfect. I never made it before but it's definitely going into the rotation, especially if I want to just clear out vegetables or proteins that we have from previous meals, that way nothing gets wasted.
i make teryaki chicken on a stick on the BBQ. i use breast meat and stick it in a bag with the teriyaki sauce overnight. it comes out so good and not dry at all.

• 1Like

Burns

Man if you got a trader Joe's close by go hit that instead of HEB. They're much cheaper and they're really good. We don't buy a lot of Frozen stuff but there's spring rolls and their potstickers or goyosa, or whatever the hell you want to call him are very tasty, and affordable. I've checked at HEB in the past because I didn't feel like going over there and they just don't have anything I'm willing to pay for.

I guess the other option is going to the Asian market but when I looked there I kind of get overwhelmed and don't know which brands to pick up, but thankfully Lanx Lanx just giving some recommendations.
We don't have very many Trader Joe's (only Dallas proper has more than one in it's city limits I think), the closest is over an hour away and timewise wouldn't be much different than just going to an Asian market (I would assume the Asian market would be better, but maybe not).

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
We don't have very many Trader Joe's (only Dallas proper has more than one in it's city limits I think), the closest is over an hour away and timewise wouldn't be much different than just going to an Asian market (I would assume the Asian market would be better, but maybe not).
Yeah I was so suggesting it because if you don't have a decent Asian market Asian Frozen items are pretty good and priced very well. I wonder if you're referring to the location that's pretty close to a HEB Central market over there in Fort Worth. If it's the one I hate that location. It's got the crappiest parking lot and it's busier than any other one I've ever been in, same thing with the Central market. They're both on the same street.

I just have gotten lazy before when we were making Asian stuff and thought hey I'll look at HEB and see if I can get whatever, and their selection and prices are pretty lackluster. Luckily I have a trader Joe's right across the street and it's easy to get in and out of.