Checkbook sent to wrong address

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
So I opened up a new bank account recently, was supposed to have a Debit card and book of checks mailed to me.

Well a week and 1/2 goes by and nothing, so I call them, turns out they had all information correct except they sent it to the wrong city, mind you it is the closest neighboring city, like 7 miles apart.

So woman on the phone cancels checks and debit card and reissues them, I ask her is their a potential for a security breech. She says would need the last 4 of my social (I assume she means to activate debit card.) She Scheduled to have a new card issued and new checks.

--------------------------------

I'm nervous about this, firstly I dunno where the checks could have been sent, I don't think there's an address that matches mine in the neighboring city, and I know that the Zip was listed correct. My thoughts would be if not delivered to me, they should have been returned to sender, but it makes me nervous because if anyone else got a hold of the checks they'd have a routing number and an account number,
not to mention my full name and address (and the zip code would direct them to my city, and address).

At this point I feel like I need to cancel the account entirely, shit she acted like it's hard to get hold of SS#'s, it feels to me like it's to much an unnecessary risk --I think the responsible thing for them to have done was to close the account and reopen a new one, since it's a brand new account as it is. What do you guys think?

Soriak_sl

shitlord
I think the responsible thing for them to have done was to close the account and reopen a new one, since it's a brand new account as it is. What do you guys think?
Keep in mind that everyone you give a check to (e.g. landlord) has the information that someone could have gotten. So assuming you use checks at all, that information is going to be out there anyway. With the checks cancelled, they can't get any money out of your account, and no bank is just going to let them walk in and withdraw money if all they have is an account number (and no ID).

I don't know if there are online services that let you link an account only with an account number, but I suspect they'd also have you either log into your online banking system or confirm some minor deposits, neither of which they'll be able to do.

In short, I wouldn't worry about it. But if it does make you worry, call them and ask them to open a new account for you. If they're not willing to do that, you need to find a better bank anyway.

For what it's worth, the people at Scottrade called me and said they closed my brokerage account because of a suspicious login attempt. (It may actually have been me during travelling.) They immediately issued a new account number as a precaution. That was probably overkill, but it's nice that they have a system in place to catch this and, on balance, I'd rather be too cautious with such an account...

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
They can actually do quite a bit with your account number. However, Deluxe (which is who most big banks use) checks before shipping to make sure the address is valid and won't ship to a non-existent address. It's likely the checks never even shipped out.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Post your account number here for instant security check. Satisfaction guaranteed.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
It doesn't matter. No one can do anything with just your account number.
yup. i lost a notebook which contained my account number with other shit and everything. Went to bank, changed everything (closed the account and re-opened one. Get on that asap), and nothing happened.

Don't worry.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
I had my checkbook stolen during a home break in. I called Schwab and reported it. They said I didn't need to change accounts, just cancel those checks. 8 months later there has been no problem. As soriak said, your account number is out there on every check you write to someone. If it was enough to steal peoples' money, you'd be seeing a big problem