Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
работа работа работа я только работаю

I don't see Trump exactly, but the show makes me wonder if the United States could pull together as effectively, regardless of President. You know the opening from Big Lebowski:

Sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about Gorby here. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Gorby, in the USSR.

Not sure about you, but a couple of my keenest memories from 1986 might be The Super Bowl Bears and shortly after Challenger blowing up on live TV in my grade school classroom. I still remember the jokes from the bus rides that year: What does NASA stand for? Need Another Seven Astronauts. How do they know Christa McAuliffe had dandruff? They found her head and shoulders.

I don't think I ever had a teacher spend any amount of time on Chernobyl. I vaguely remember it as an ~1980s era joke about Russian competence. I think that's part of the allure of this show. It's a bit of valuable education school was silent on.

Should we gauge U.S readiness to deal with a Chernobyl-esque catastrophe based on the US' recent ability to manage hurricane disasters? Are those even relevant because they became so politicized? Can a country even know if it's ready for such a catastrophe? Was the USSR just incredibly good or incredibly lucky?
Countries and regimes have fallen due to underestimating Americsn resolve in times of duress. We are currently greatly divided along ideological faultlines, but I have zero doubt that a disaster of this proportion would have us shoulder to shoulder. Americans at our core just step up when the bell rings.

And this is not meant to take anything away from the Soviets. Their government may have been shit, but their people have always been ready to get it done when it counted.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Countries and regimes have fallen due to underestimating Americsn resolve in times of duress. We are currently greatly divided along ideological faultlines, but I have zero doubt that a disaster of this proportion would have us shoulder to shoulder. Americans at our core just step up when the bell rings.

And this is not meant to take anything away from the Soviets. Their government may have been shit, but their people have always been ready to get it done when it counted.
Yeah, never underestimate the Russian populace’s will to line up and die to the last man for the motherland.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Found a quote for Fukushima, no different
“A major factor that contributed to the accident was the widespread assumption in Japan that its nuclear power plants were so safe that an accident of this magnitude was simply unthinkable. This assumption was accepted by nuclear power plant operators and was not challenged by regulators or by the Government. As a result, Japan was not sufficiently prepared for a severe nuclear accident in March 2011.” [August 2015 Report of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Foreword by the Director General]

guess it's just Hubris

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Found a quote for Fukushima, no different

guess it's just Hubris

No, it's bullshit propaganda. Those plants were safe, and it IS completely unthinkable to expect a facility to undergo a magnitude 9.0 earthquake that generated uncommonly large tsunamis without damage.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Hasn't Japan been prone to tsunamis throughout its history? I'm not sure how it qualifies as unthinkable. The magnitude of it was certainly unlikely, but unthinkable? That's a stretch.

Cybsled

The Japan reactor was also an older design (1960s or so I believe in terms of the reactor design). That factored in as well.

gak

<Gold Donor>
The Gorby casting choice is the only one I don't like, everything else is so awesome I wish it was a 10 or 12 episode series because everything feels so rushed.

It's comical how good this is compared to 99% of the crap on TV, and it makes me cringe how they thought they had to add supernatural alien bears to The Terror to make it watchable.

c0.jpg

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

c3.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
It's comical how good this is compared to 99% of the crap on TV, and it makes me cringe how they thought they had to add supernatural alien bears to The Terror to make it watchable.

Wasn't that due to being it based on a book though?

I hate to see this end. It has been especially great after the disappointment that was GoT.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
podcast said they had to cut a puppy killing scene where it was dying but they ran out of bullets, also they cut that mass puppy scene too

Yeah, there was a scene that they shot where the liquidators noticed a dog that was still alive when they were pouring the concrete and they killed it by hand to kee[ it from suffering. It got cut because they thought it was too much and borderline gratuitous.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I get that the animal killing was a little too much but it had a lot of symbolism to me. They kept comparing it to war because the one dude kept mentioning Afghanistan. You also see the kid in the episode morph into a soldier and killer in a matter of a day. It's like Chernobyl was a war zone.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah I think those scenes were definitely impactful. "Then we drink." Fuck that had to be a terrible day in the office.

gak

<Gold Donor>
Wasn't that due to being it based on a book though?

No idea, if it was a supernatural take on history then I'm wrong and I should be hating on the book instead.

With the great casting in the TV show they could've just concentrated on best-guess historical accuracy and I would've have lapped it up, instead of wondering why there's a magical white walker bear ripping their ship apart.

j.gif

gak

<Gold Donor>
podcast said they had to cut a puppy killing scene where it was dying but they ran out of bullets, also they cut that mass puppy scene too

Christ, if they had a 10 episode season to flesh it out and this whole episode was "Pet patrol", it would've been the ultimate tear-jerker.

A solid hour of pet extermination with things going horribly wrong, insiders would've pre-bought stock in kleenex.

d1.jpg

ccc.jpg

d3.jpg

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah I can watch beheading videos on liveleak but no way could I watch a scene with them killing dogs and cats.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Caliane

What Dom said is kind of confusing to me too, how was any human able to take a picture next to the corium deposit?

I understand decay and half life to an extent, so perhaps 10 or 20 years later the radiation levels arent as severe. Why then is the site still highly radioactive?

You would think that if the corium isnt as deadly, then most of the surrounding area is also less lethal. But then there is the fact that Pripyat will be uninhabitable for 20000 years at the very least?

So many questions this show has brought forward.
The area is totally habitable... if you dont mind 3 out of 4 of your kids dying, and you don't care if you live past 30. This is why animals and plants thrive there. they don't give a shit of most of their kids die, or if they all die. Wolves only have a 6-8 year life expectancy in the first place. radiation means shit to them.
it takes MASSIVE amounts of radiation to kill you fast. The low amounts that are still there, just deal slow genetic damage, that will add up over time.

That linked photo was in 1996. 10 years after. you still dont want to be near that thing for more then a couple seconds. But its not instant death anymore.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah I can watch beheading videos on liveleak but no way could I watch a scene with them killing dogs and cats.

Yea being a pet owner it's tough watching it but I get why the scenes are there. It's supposed to have impact. The hardest scene was probably when the young guy shoots the one dog just sitting there but then it doesn't kill him and you see it just bleeding and dying. That's rough, even my dog took notice and he almost never pays attention to what's going on TV.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The hardest scene was probably when the young guy shoots the one dog just sitting there but then it doesn't kill him and you see it just bleeding and dying.

Yeah.....

p.s. joking aside yes I could watch the scenes. I just find the human condition hilarious when it comes to us versus animals.

Last edited: