Chernobyl

Needless

Toe Sucker
I didnt catch E4 until last night but god damn, killing innocent dogs and cats is real feelsbadman. I can't wait for tonight's episode

• 1Mic Drop
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The area is totally habitable... if you dont mind 3 out of 4 of your kids dying, and you don't care if you live past 30. This is why animals and plants thrive there. they don't give a shit of most of their kids die, or if they all die. Wolves only have a 6-8 year life expectancy in the first place. radiation means shit to them.
it takes MASSIVE amounts of radiation to kill you fast. The low amounts that are still there, just deal slow genetic damage, that will add up over time.

That linked photo was in 1996. 10 years after. you still dont want to be near that thing for more then a couple seconds. But its not instant death anymore.

Great explanation, thank you, That makes sense, It was just hard for me to think of how it all works. Like how contamination is different than exposure, and how radiation is different than contamination. Visualizing contamination is so hard to grasp. It is effectively a virus/bacteria like molecule, as it can somehow be "washed off" objects with alkalinity and water. Or like, when you get exposed, you should then remove your clothing as it is "contaminated" lowering risk of further exposure. But even then whatever amount of radiation they absorbed at the point could be then transferred to contiminate someone or something else, creating higher risk of exposure to rediation.

lol that shit is fucking crazy.

edit: Caliane, what would happen if someone just camped next to a corium deposit shortly after the meltdown event? Would they literally start to glow? Would they cook and burn? Or would they just start to look like a fallout ghoul like Akimov in the show in real time? Would they just disintegrate? Its a horrifying thought.

Caliane

Great explanation, thank you, That makes sense, It was just hard for me to think of how it all works. Like how contamination is different than exposure, and how radiation is different than contamination. Visualizing contamination is so hard to grasp. It is effectively a virus/bacteria like molecule, as it can somehow be "washed off" objects with alkalinity and water. Or like, when you get exposed, you should then remove your clothing as it is "contaminated" lowering risk of further exposure. But even then whatever amount of radiation they absorbed at the point could be then transferred to contiminate someone or something else, creating higher risk of exposure to rediation.

lol that shit is fucking crazy.

edit: Caliane, what would happen if someone just camped next to a corium deposit shortly after the meltdown event? Would they literally start to glow? Would they cook and burn? Or would they just start to look like a fallout ghoul like Akimov in the show in real time? Would they just disintegrate? Its a horrifying thought.
at the time? yes basically disintegrate. The body would be baked in constant bombardment of microscopic bullets. Tearing through DNA, RNA, and cell walls. And instead of damage, here and there, that possibly is healed through constant cellular regeneration, or a cancer formed, from damaged DNA/RNA regenerating and copying its damaged chains... the cells would be totally shredded. You would melt as your cellular structure falls apart.

Should also note at the time, its was basically LAVA. The raw heat would probably have killed you too.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Chernobyl
Vichnaya Pamyat
Season: 1
Episode: 5
Air date: 2019-06-03

Valery Legasov, Boris Shcherbina and Ulana Khomyuk risk their lives and reputations to expose the truth about Chernobyl. Finale.

So long, amazing series.

Podcast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0NFfgrb-ks

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
should i bother to put this podcast in the podcaast section? it's one of the higher quality podcasts also

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Powerful show., good thing only 31 people lost there lives.

• 6Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Damn episode 5 went by fast. I still thought there was 15 minutes left and then the real footage aired and then credits. Those 3 mother fuckers should have done the 10 years and then got a bullet to the head.

• 2Like

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I always want to make a joke after each episode about how I didn't know there was a nuclear accident in England. Though I suppose it's much less jaring hearing English accents instead of fake Russian ones. :)

Anyway, thought it was really well done and immensely enjoyed it.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I feel like I got a education in nuclear reactors with this episode also.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
I always want to make a joke after each episode about how I didn't know there was a nuclear accident in England. Though I suppose it's much less jaring hearing English accents instead of fake Russian ones. :)

Anyway, thought it was really well done and immensely enjoyed it.
A British designed reactor is at least as scary as a soviet designed one. :eek:

Do you know why the British never made CPU's?

They couldn't figure out how to make them leak oil.

Of the 3 guys who fixed the bubblers, two are still alive.

There was a surge of abortions in Europe and the UK after Chernobyl. Pregnant women were afraid of giving birth to deformed babies.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I feel like I got a education in nuclear reactors with this episode also.
yea, yo, i'm gonna rewatch that whole red/blue part

what scary shit in the end when he was like "and then the control rods started moving up and down"!!!

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Binged this over the weekend and finished tonight. The word a couple others here used that I'd most agree with to describe it is sobering. Fantastic series, but wow its sobering how close this came to destroying a sizeable chunk of Europe.

Yeah I was amazed a couple of the divers are still alive, they made it sound beforehand like it was going to be a death sentence. Responses above as to why noted.

This miniseries will leave a mark on me I won't forget. So many of us here love science and the power it has had in shaping the modern world. But it is important to always be mindful of the perils it can bring, this show to me was first and foremost a reminder of that.

• 2Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
at the time? yes basically disintegrate. The body would be baked in constant bombardment of microscopic bullets. Tearing through DNA, RNA, and cell walls. And instead of damage, here and there, that possibly is healed through constant cellular regeneration, or a cancer formed, from damaged DNA/RNA regenerating and copying its damaged chains... the cells would be totally shredded. You would melt as your cellular structure falls apart.

Should also note at the time, its was basically LAVA. The raw heat would probably have killed you too.

The corium elephants foot is still warm to this day. Which is pretty amazing.

gak

<Gold Donor>
Caliane, what would happen if someone just camped next to a corium deposit shortly after the meltdown event?

It changes you forever...

z.jpg

• 3Worf
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 4 users

gak

<Gold Donor>
I always want to make a joke after each episode about how I didn't know there was a nuclear accident in England.

In a high school history project I used an old low budget UK government film that tried to show what would have happened to londonstan if germany would have finished the atom bomb in time to use it.

People screaming / bright lights / stock bomb testing footage etc...

Afterward, one of the girls in the class said, "That's horrible, I didn't know Britain got hit with nuclear bombs in WW II !"

I think that was the first time I ever facepalmed.

1.jpg