Chernobyl

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I watched this with my girl, which is rare because we don't really enjoy much of the same TV. She grew up in Slavutych (right outside the radiological preserve) and her mom worked as a pediatrician for some university studying the long term effects of fallout.

She actually liked it a lot, surprisingly. But didn't like that everyone sounded British... lol. Not sure why some of you here think the place is a wasteland of ash and dust. Wildlife and plants returned to Pripyat very shortly after the meltdown itself. As you can see from the infinite amounts of footage people take from wandering in there and being edgy.
eh zed 5!!!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
s4czrnxftv431.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

dizzie

Triggered Happy
That picture was taken in the 80s and it looks like 1950s if you lived in the West.

Pretty much sums it all up.

• 2Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
It always weirds me out seeing all the woodgrain surfaces in high-tech USSR buildings.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I watched the first two episodes and had the same feeling of dread I got from watching that movie about nuclear fallout in the 80's.

Growing up in PA near 3 mile island we had nuclear evacuation drills in school for years.

This stuff creeps me out.

So I have only read this thread to Episode 2 because that is where I got to last night. 11:30, way past my bedtime.

This is VERY well done, well acted, well filmed, and uses my favorite method of relating dread and terror - droning, slow, inexorable.

We were talking at work about our generational memories. I am a child of the 70's and lived through the tail end of the Cold War and watched The Day After and read On The Beach when I was in Grade 6 or something etc etc etc. Raw, innate fear of death by radiation (albeit as a byproduct of nuclear warfare rather than power) is part of my generation's make-up. I feel like that innate fear makes movies/shows like this even more of a horror show. I felt the same watching that South Korean movie "Pandora".

I normally do not like anything multi-episodic but I am hooked!

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Chernobyl does a great job of finding the human frequency that causes internal dread.

Acute radiation sickness is one of the most awful things a human could ever encounter.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So I have only read this thread to Episode 2 because that is where I got to last night. 11:30, way past my bedtime.

This is VERY well done, well acted, well filmed, and uses my favorite method of relating dread and terror - droning, slow, inexorable.

We were talking at work about our generational memories. I am a child of the 70's and lived through the tail end of the Cold War and watched The Day After and read On The Beach when I was in Grade 6 or something etc etc etc. Raw, innate fear of death by radiation (albeit as a byproduct of nuclear warfare rather than power) is part of my generation's make-up. I feel like that innate fear makes movies/shows like this even more of a horror show. I felt the same watching that South Korean movie "Pandora".

I normally do not like anything multi-episodic but I am hooked!
i forgot where i heard it, but when everyone is critisizing the silly hide under a desk
slide_19.jpg

there was a study done on the hiroshima/nagasaki survivors and basically the ones that weren't at ground zero and were just hiding behind a wall or underneath a desk had a huge survival rate compared to ppl that were just out in the open (like at a park or just walking on the st)

were you desk hiding old man?

Cybsled

Well ya, it's better than nothing. But only marginally.

Studies also showed that people wearing mostly white clothing did better than people with darker clothing at Hiroshima, but they didn't encourage people to "wear your sparkling white to prevent you from being set alight!"

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Well ya, it's better than nothing. But only marginally.

Studies also showed that people wearing mostly white clothing did better than people with darker clothing at Hiroshima, but they didn't encourage people to "wear your sparkling white to prevent you from being set alight!"
cuz they still respected labor day back in the olde times!

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
We didn't actually do the drills where I grew up in small town, rural, eastern Canada. Although the Russians for sure had a nuke pointed at Halifax Harbor. And those locals had already experienced their own bomb in the form of the Halifax Explosion. Google it to read about the definition of a terrible series of coincidences.

In the words of Lewis Black, and I am paraphrasing:

"I am hiding under WOOD! Why don't I just gather up some twigs for the fire too?"

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
We didn't actually do the drills where I grew up in small town, rural, eastern Canada. Although the Russians for sure had a nuke pointed at Halifax Harbor. And those locals had already experienced their own bomb in the form of the Halifax Explosion. Google it to read about the definition of a terrible series of coincidences.

In the words of Lewis Black, and I am paraphrasing:

"I am hiding under WOOD! Why don't I just gather up some twigs for the fire too?"

My family had a home in the area not too far from that site. It survived, but was heavily damaged.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
rooftop scene was better in HBO, it was great to use one guy as a POV in realtime

That scene with the Geiger counter noise is so fucking scary.

• 2Like