Chernobyl

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Its so funny how English accents are used as placeholder for like every movie or tv show in history. American audiences lose immersion if they hear something that sounds like themselves.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yea another good episode. Was any of the guys in the hospital the head guy? The makeup is so spot on it's hard to tell who is who. The scene where she's interviewing that one guy and his nose just starts bleeding and you're thinking 'this guy isn't even human anymore'. Another reality of the Soviet 'state' is when the crew chief asks if the miners are going to be taken care of after all this (since he knows they are all going to be messed up years later) and the answer is 'I'm not sure'. Messed up stuff.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Its so funny how English accents are used as placeholder for like every movie or tv show in history. American audiences lose immersion if they hear something that sounds like themselves.

This was discussed in the podcast. They were going to have the actors do a russian accent, but they found that it severely limited the actors as they were acting the voice, rather than the character. The reason they're all UK accents is it was a co-production with Sky which is a UK thing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yea another good episode. Was any of the guys in the hospital the head guy? The makeup is so spot on it's hard to tell who is who. The scene where she's interviewing that one guy and his nose just starts bleeding and you're thinking 'this guy isn't even human anymore'. Another reality of the Soviet 'state' is when the crew chief asks if the miners are going to be taken care of after all this (since he knows they are all going to be messed up years later) and the answer is 'I'm not sure'. Messed up stuff.
The first guy she saw that told her to fuck off was the head guy from the control room.

Jozu

Those poor guys from hospital are literally ghouls from Fallout.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Couchy

Molten Core Raider
If you guys havent read about Hisashi Ouchi, you should. From those reports it seems pretty accurate of what it would be like. He recieved double the lethal dose of radiation, and died a slow horrible horrible death. The Japanese doctors for whatever reason tried to keep him alive. He lived for 83 days. Like most of the civilians, him and his family didnt understand the ramifications of what getting 17 sieverts straight to the face will do you.

Best horror/thriller show in a long time

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
it's great when you think back to when the first firefighters got there and the one firefighter is like, "yo vasili, whats this shiny black rock i'm holding in my hand???"

and it's basically this
radioactive-homer-3-300x274.jpg

then like a minute later his hand is disintegrating, do we ever see what happened to him?

It was also great when they "took a walk" and he's like oh yea, the next day you'll be fine, probably feel good even, and then the wife finds the firefighter chatting it up w/ the rest of the ward, then as they walk hes like "then you'll be fucked and turn to goo", and the firefighter turns to goo.

gak

<Gold Donor>
This show deserves awards just for helping us forget Game of Thrones.

c.jpg

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

dizzie

Triggered Happy
If you guys havent read about Hisashi Ouchi, you should. From those reports it seems pretty accurate of what it would be like. He recieved double the lethal dose of radiation, and died a slow horrible horrible death. The Japanese doctors for whatever reason tried to keep him alive. He lived for 83 days. Like most of the civilians, him and his family didnt understand the ramifications of what getting 17 sieverts straight to the face will do you.

Best horror/thriller show in a long time

There were pictures of him floating about on the web years ago (lots of fakes but some academia site had the real ones) and he looked exactly like the guys in this TV series, he was mashed bigtime. It was terrible they let him live through that, they should have killed him right there and then. He was in unendurable pain and I'd imagine whatever pain management they used did fuck all to help.

They kept him alive to see the effects of a massive dose of radiation from what I read since it's pretty much unrecorded in detail at those levels. Some unit 731 shit - Poor bastard.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
There were pictures of him floating about on the web years ago (lots of fakes but some academia site had the real ones) and he looked exactly like the guys in this TV series, he was mashed bigtime. It was terrible they let him live through that, they should have killed him right there and then. He was in unendurable pain and I'd imagine whatever pain management they used did fuck all to help.

They kept him alive to see the effects of a massive dose of radiation from what I read since it's pretty much unrecorded in detail at those levels. Some unit 731 shit - Poor bastard.

Are these the real ones? Because if so... fuck me

• 1Mother of God

Jozu

I think this show will also have a creeping effect once its over, where people will start to realize even more how great of a show it turned out to be and how well done it was.

It has a particularly haunting effect on me, as I basically do the same job that Dyatlov had. I dont work in Nuclear plants, as you need a special license, and the one Nuclear plant we had in MA is temporarily shut down. So this mini series really translates with me, as far as what the engineers and guys on watch were dealing with (sans radiation) I am somewhat familiar with. I also work the night shift, and things are awesome when your boilers (core) is running smoothly. That control room is like Nirvana, you get paid a large sum of money in order to look at computer screens and record data every hour/make sure equipment is running correctly.

But when shit hits the fan? Its EXACTLY like how that episode 1 sequence went, minus the delusional chief engineer. You almost looking frozen and being in a state of paralysis is real. Thats the thing you must overcome in times of crisis/stress, is inaction. Not doing anything is better than doing something even more destructive, but you simply must follow the planned procedure for whatever event has taken place.

For instance, if one of the boilers fails, as in the flame shuts off, the alarm will sound (loud as fuck) and you bolt into action (probably in the middle of watching a Rogan podcast). Look at the boiler and ask yourself (why the fuck did the flame go out?)

There are only a few reasons that would happen, you go through your checklist and attempt to fulfill your duties. If you still cant fix the problem after following procedure and subsequently taking intelligent steps to fix it outside of protocol still doesnt get it done, THEN you make a call. But I couldnt IMAGINE a fucking nuclear reactor core explosion. A single legacy fossil fuel boiler explosion is catastrophic, nevermind a fucking nuclear reactor.

What I didnt understand was the operators' lack of awareness of radiation in those moments. I can understand if you were already in a spot and got fucked, but those guys who willingly went on the roof or down into near the core are fucking retarded. There is no way you work at a Nuclear power plant and not understand the fundamental properties of radiation poisoning. Perhaps thats the point of the show, one of the dying Ghoul operators in the hospital said he was like one of the top engineers and he was only 25....

No fucking way you would EVER see a 25 year old in a Nuclear Power Plant control room in the United States.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
The first podcast kind of talks about the radiation awareness. They think it was essentially two things. Firstly no one thought an explosion was possible in the core, which combined with the low level dosimeters led to strong denial that they were in danger. In a system built on lies it was just one more in a long list. Second was resignation that they were already fucked so might as well finish the job.
While I'm sure most people had some awareness of the dangers of radiation it's all rather abstract when you don't have shows like this to visualize it. Just look at the reactions in this very thread. We've all seen ghouls in media but are still just as shocked thinking that shit happened for real.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Remember they thought it wasn't possible for that accident to even happen. They went into the room to manually insert the control rods. They had to know they were fucked after that. And the dude on the roof knew he was dead. Honestly, he should have opted to be shot or arrested instead of going to the roof. Radiation poisoning looks fucking awful.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
This was discussed in the podcast. They were going to have the actors do a russian accent, but they found that it severely limited the actors as they were acting the voice, rather than the character. The reason they're all UK accents is it was a co-production with Sky which is a UK thing.

This is done in a lot of shows. It makes sense. There are tons of british actors and it's probably one of the easiest accents for American actors to do. Some people say it takes them out of it but I think that watching it as an American it conveys a sense of foreignness but it's less distracting than listening to 50 people who have just learned how to do a Russian accent or worse yet watching them speaking Russian with subtitles.

• 1Like