meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Chernobyl
The Happiness of All Mankind
Season: 1
Episode: 4
Air date: 2019-05-27

Valery Legasov and Soviet Deputy Prime Minister Boris Shcherbina consider using lunar rovers to remove radioactive debris, while Ulana Khomyuk faces government hurdles in determining the truth about the cause of the explosion.

Probably skip this episode when I re-watch it for the same reasons I don't watch John Wick, lol. Still amazing though.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
I'll be curious to see if this episode keeps the high rating or if it takes a hit from the animal scenes.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah another brutal episode. How much was 800 rubbles back then in US dollars? Those 90 seconds was pretty intense.

Hosix

All labs matter!
Those poor bastards that got stuck doing the roof work. F that shit.

• 1Solidarity

dizzie

Triggered Happy
The historial data for the ruble shows it was 0.7585 on the 1/186 and 0.6700 on the 1/1/87.

So 800 roubles was around $536-606. That's offical figures, it would have cost you way more rubles to buy $600 on the black market. But dollars are used everywhere where the currency is problematic and has black markets. You would have been able to get them easily enough and almost certianly be able to buy items with them. Nobody wants 6k rubles for an inported TV they want hard currency.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
you know when the german robot failed, i thought "oh they're just gonna use ppl, they have already shown to have no qualms about sending in ppl like those water turn off ppl"

then, yup

It was pretty wild when you follow the shovel'er and as he's picking up rubble the fucking geiger counter goes off the charts.

• 1Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
I knew you got some radiation from smoking but..

80mSv:6-month stay on the International Space Station
160mSv:chronic dose to lungs over one year smoking 1.5 packs of cigarettes per day, mostly due to inhalation of Polonium-210 and Lead-210

Twice the amount from staying on the IIS for 6months.

• 2WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Pretty rough episode. I understand why they are out there shooting the dogs but it doesn't make it easy watching it. That 90 second single shot on the roof was award level stuff, no dialogue just the geiger counter. I had wondered how the firefighter's wife was able to survive, baby absorbing the radiation makes sense.

This is the best show on TV right now, it's a shame it's only 5 episodes.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Oldbased

> Than U
I hate to spoil the final episode but....

Also we saw the cats but never any being shot. Director is a cat person for sure.

av3xq9hcrw031.jpg

• 12Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 14 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Theydef gave too much screentime to the animal slaughter scenes. Could of been much less heavy handed and could of got the same result in the viewer.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Actual cleanup photo, streaks at the bottom was radiation affecting the film.

download.jpeg

• 1Like

nisser

Trakanon Raider
Maybe it was explained and I missed it but why exactly is it important to remove the graphite from the wall?

agripa

Molten Core Raider
Maybe it was explained and I missed it but why exactly is it important to remove the graphite from the wall?

Graphite was used as a neutron moderator for the RBMK reactor. When the core exploded all of the graphite was from inside the core and contained a crazy amount of radiation. You could not build a dome over the reactor while the graphite rock was still emitting radiation on the rooftops.

• 1Like

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
I'm sure it was considered but I wonder why they didn't use some tower cranes with long booms to drag a plow or scoop across the roof. They had cranes on site during the cleanup and they used them for the sarcophagus. Even if it wouldn't be perfect I think they still could have cleared off the bigger pieces instead of leaving them as tripping hazards.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They didnt really cancel this did they?

The wiki now says it's only 4 episodes?

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
... nah, brother. How/why would they cancel the last episode of a miniseries when the preview was already shown?