Chernobyl

khorum

Murder Apologist
A couple co-workers of mine in Qatar actually worked in Chernobyl for a few months back in the 90's.... they said the radiation in the exclusion zone was less than the average transatlantic flight.

Most people are shocked to learn that the other reactor was still running and generating power.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Strifen

Molten Core Raider
Reading this article it doesn't seem like Russia has learned from their mistakes.

Russian reactors are unsafe, unreliable–but Russian nuclear industry is aggressively trying to export them

Well they aren't building RBMK reactors anymore, thats the kind that exploded in Chernobyl. Russian reactor exports are VVER type pressurized water reactors which are incredibly safe, double containment, core catcher ect. Chernobyl was a massive soviet-era fuck up but the Russians are experts when it comes to nuclear energy. There's a LOT wrong with that article and I don't really care to pick through all of it but its mostly propaganda for the anti-nukes crowd.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well they aren't building RBMK reactors anymore, thats the kind that exploded in Chernobyl. Russian reactor exports are VVER type pressurized water reactors which are incredibly safe, double containment, core catcher ect. Chernobyl was a massive soviet-era fuck up but the Russians are experts when it comes to nuclear energy. There's a LOT wrong with that article and I don't really care to pick through all of it but its mostly propaganda for the anti-nukes crowd.

Here is the problem. I agree with you for the scare tatics but do you really trust the Russians when they say their shit is safe when using Chinese knock off building materials? I don't. It scares me.

• 2Like

Strifen

Molten Core Raider
Different industries have varying degree of quality controls. China has plenty of shitty construction and crappy safety regulations but when it comes down to important industries there are better controls. Chinese airplanes fly billions of people a year and if Chinese made stuff was all blanket low-quality shit they would be falling out of the sky routinely, but they don't because the field of aviation has immense quality controls just like nuclear power does.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Different industries have varying degree of quality controls. China has plenty of shitty construction and crappy safety regulations but when it comes down to important industries there are better controls. Chinese airplanes fly billions of people a year and if Chinese made stuff was all blanket low-quality shit they would be falling out of the sky routinely, but they don't because the field of aviation has immense quality controls just like nuclear power does.

You mean all those Airbus and Boeing jets they fly?

ROFL

• 1Like

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Can you name any Chinese cars, planes, or mass transit anyone outside of China purchases or uses?

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
View attachment 100862

Guy in this photo is dead. I guarantee it.

Dude looks pretty healthy!

because of his health — he has cataracts and other problems related to his heavy radiation exposure during his first three years — he is no longer allowed inside the plant. “Soviet radiation,” he joked, “is the best radiation in the world.”

korneyev-1564.jpg

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Ask San Francisco about that high quality Bay bridge.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Reading about radiation on Wikipedia I now know that I regarded lead as being magical. It is not magical.

• 1Like

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Most people are shocked to learn that the other reactor was still running and generating power.

There is a lot of misunderstanding regarding Chernobyl. There were 4 reactor units, 1 of which blew up during a disastrously unsafe experiment during a shut-down cycle. The other 3 reactors continued working afterwards and the final one was shut down in the late 90s, more than a decade after the accident.

The RMBK reactor is considered an "unsafe" design, yet it only failed when an experimental procedure was executed despite the conditions being WAY out of spec, and multiple safety systems were disabled that prevented the system from recovering. Alarms were ignored that correctly assessed shit was going downhill. The negligence was astounding.

The "unsafe" assessment is correct, in that the system wasn't designed to inherently shut down in disaster conditions and the control rod design caused a short power spike during insertion from full withdrawal. However, you had to have a monumental fuck-up on the operations side to get this to happen.

This would be roughly equivalent to people saying airplanes aren't safe because a pilot decided to cut the engines at 30,000 ft and let jesus take the wheel (lol).

• 2Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
There is a lot of misunderstanding regarding Chernobyl. There were 4 reactor units, 1 of which blew up during a disastrously unsafe experiment during a shut-down cycle. The other 3 reactors continued working afterwards and the final one was shut down in the late 90s, more than a decade after the accident.

The RMBK reactor is considered an "unsafe" design, yet it only failed when an experimental procedure was executed despite the conditions being WAY out of spec, and multiple safety systems were disabled that prevented the system from recovering. Alarms were ignored that correctly assessed shit was going downhill. The negligence was astounding.

The "unsafe" assessment is correct, in that the system wasn't designed to inherently shut down in disaster conditions and the control rod design caused a short power spike during insertion from full withdrawal. However, you had to have a monumental fuck-up on the operations side to get this to happen.

This would be roughly equivalent to people saying airplanes aren't safe because a pilot decided to cut the engines at 30,000 ft and let jesus take the wheel (lol).

Yea, but all of that and it probably wouldn't have been *that* much worse than 3 mile island if they had built a proper containment building. TMI didn't have steam explosions and the reactor didn't melt out of the reactor vessel, but still. The steam explosions that scattered fallout thousands of feet into the air are what made chernobyl so bad.

• 2Like

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea, but all of that and it probably wouldn't have been *that* much worse than 3 mile island if they had built a proper containment building. TMI didn't have steam explosions and the reactor didn't melt out of the reactor vessel, but still. The steam explosions that scattered fallout thousands of feet into the air are what made chernobyl so bad.

Technically, I think the steam explosions blew open the (relatively flimsy) building, then the ensuing graphite fires from the now-exposed reactor materials caused the biggest spread of radioactivity. Still, your point stands. If it was built safer, it would have been a minor issue instead of a catastrophic one.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
The guy who asked for safer controls was probably tried and convicted in abstentia as a petty bourgeois reactionary agitator who failed to agree that The SocJus Party can never be wrong and was then sent to gulag for a 25er.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
Reading about radiation on Wikipedia I now know that I regarded lead as being magical. It is not magical.
Lead is an amazing substance. How many millions have died to lead as a weapon. How many more have died as not a weapon. I vote for lead as the official mineral of the USA.

• 1Like