Chess

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Karjakin and Caruana felt like stronger opponents against Magnus than Nepo.

Szlia

In the World Championship against Caruana, the common wisdom was that if it came to faster time control, Carlsen would win and that's exactly what happened. In this World Championship, my layman's take is that Nepomniachtchi could have caused trouble in the faster time controls, but surviving 14 classical games against Carlsen always was a tall order.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
In the World Championship against Caruana, the common wisdom was that if it came to faster time control, Carlsen would win and that's exactly what happened. In this World Championship, my layman's take is that Nepomniachtchi could have caused trouble in the faster time controls, but surviving 14 classical games against Carlsen always was a tall order.

That seems to be the case with Magnus getting into time trouble with a couple of the games this match. Im not sure there is anyone that can beat Magnus in a classical match right now out of all the super GMs currently.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
How did Nepo get to this match, wtf... What a letdown of a Championship.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
too bad Carlsen's blitz game is insanely good as well. but yeah Nepo is down 3 now.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Its over, Im pretty sure it was over before the blunder, but its for sure over now

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
That poor bishop got trapped, that was nasty.
Trapping your opponent pieces is one of the hardest things to do in chess. Not only do you have to lay out the trap, but the other guy has to walk into it.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
1 turn blunder is embarrassing for a guy at this level. Cheapens the whole tournament imo.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Wat? It didn't cheapen Fisher's match when he did it
Well I would say the circumstances are way different now. It was before computers, it was game 1 when all isn't lost yet, and Fischer ended up winning it all in the end.

Magnus even himself in the presser said he prefers to win with skill than by an opponent's blunder. It just tarnishes the whole thing.

Nepo blundered game 8 as well. This game today was Nepos real last hope and he needed to be on his A game. If Nepo ends up taking a game or 2 in the final run here then maybe I'll feel differently about the whole thing.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Mistakes happen all the time. I think people are being way too critical of Nepo, as if any of them could actually stand of the same table as magus or even draw it out against him over multiple games.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Mistakes happen all the time. I think people are being way too critical of Nepo

I dunno, I think this is a different class of blunder than mistakes typical of the world championships. Obviously everyone is human, but particularly the one today was something seen in advance by a LOT of people. Even Nepo himself has characterized his play, at least on the relevant moves, as below the GM level, never mind super-GM or Canditate level.

as if any of them could actually stand of the same table as magus or even draw it out against him over multiple games.

Caruana was just as critical as anyone else and he's literally been there and did that.

Last edited:

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
You are right, Caruana did tie Magnus 2 years go, so he does have the credibility.