China suffers worst wheat harvest in 55 years

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Whelp, hope that International Fund in my 401k doesn't have a ton of exposure in China.

I bet it does.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Those exchanges are mostly local firms tho. The big guys are in hong kong or listed on wall street.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Also this is (currently) only correcting a specific market which has massively over-inflated over the last year - long term it's still up.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
I don't really follow Asian markets much but this whole thing seemed like an overhyped reaction to a correction on some short term quick gains. FXI in Jan/March highs of ~43 seemed like a good spot were things could be realistically stable . I ended up filling at 39.23 and couldn't ask for better for getting the near bottom on that. Maybe I'm just lucky...I'm not one to give any real financial advice =p

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
China has other problems apparently.

Chinese workers wear masks to work - Business Insider

gettyimages-480654760.jpg

gettyimages-480654850.jpg

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Whelp, hope that International Fund in my 401k doesn't have a ton of exposure in China.

I bet it does.
If it's based on market cap, then it shouldn't. This is VT, which is basically an ETF that is supposed to mirror the entire planet's cumulative stock market more or less:https://personal.vanguard.com/us/fun...tExt=INT#tab=2

China is 2.5% of that. Even if you take out North America to make it "International", that's still only 5%. China's stock market is tiny relative to it's economy.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
If it's based on market cap, then it shouldn't. This is VT, which is basically an ETF that is supposed to mirror the entire planet's cumulative stock market more or less:https://personal.vanguard.com/us/fun...tExt=INT#tab=2

China is 2.5% of that. Even if you take out North America to make it "International", that's still only 5%. China's stock market is tiny relative to it's economy.
Because you'd have to be insane to invest in hard assets or companies in China.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Nice to see the markets finally start reacting to what all is happening in China. I hope this teaches someone a lesson down the line that this is what happens when you get in bed and become dependent on the tits of lying and cheating governments.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
So much for china dominating the world
You're an idiot. How many financial crises has the US had in it's history? More than a few. The fact is that China's economy is only slightly smaller than the US's now, and talk of "slow downs" aside, it's still growing over twice as fast. Development rarely happens in a straight line.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
You're an idiot. How many financial crises has the US had in it's history? More than a few. The fact is that China's economy is only slightly smaller than the US's now, and talk of "slow downs" aside, it's still growing over twice as fast. Development rarely happens in a straight line.
Based on what? The bullshit numbers the Chinese government provides?